[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Minneapolis Rioting/Looting August 26  (Read 5059 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Minneapolis Rioting/Looting August 26
« on: August 28, 2020, 08:43:40 AM »
What are everyone's thoughts on this case where police were falsely accused of shooting a Black murder suspect they were closing in on....and as a result footage shows Blacks looting and burning businesses in Downtown Minneapolis?

https://m.startribune.com/mpls-under-a-curfew-until-6-a-m-mayor-requests-guard-for-unrest/572231992/

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Minneapolis Rioting/Looting August 26
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 08:45:45 AM »
Why would this go on HangingattheAl? Superbar or Don't post.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
What are everyone's thoughts on this case where police were falsely accused of shooting a Black murder suspect they were closing in on....and as a result footage shows Blacks looting and burning businesses in Downtown Minneapolis?

https://m.startribune.com/mpls-under-a-curfew-until-6-a-m-mayor-requests-guard-for-unrest/572231992/

Terrible incident.  People need to stop jumping to conclusions.

Also, the crowd looked pretty multi-cultural to me.  Only one video shows vandalism, but none that show the looting.  So why do you blame "Blacks?"
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 08:59:46 AM »
I think it shows that people are frustrated and lack trust in our institutions.  Someone needs to find a way to de-escalate and rebuild trust.  Locally for sure, but probably nationally too. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 09:04:34 AM »

Also, the crowd looked pretty multi-cultural to me.  Only one video shows vandalism, but none that show the looting.  So why do you blame "Blacks?"

Because he’s a terrible person
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 09:07:58 AM »
Why would this go on HangingattheAl? Superbar or Don't post.

Thought I was in SuperBar when I posted..my bad. 

Also, the bystander crowd looked pretty multi-cultural to me.  Only one video shows vandalism, but none that show the looting.  So why do you blame "Blacks?"

Edited for you.  Why do I blame Blacks?  I wouldn't call it blame.  I'd call it telling it like it is. 

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 09:10:28 AM »
Thought I was in SuperBar when I posted..my bad. 

Edited for you.  Why do I blame Blacks?  I wouldn't call it blame.  I'd call it telling it like it is. 

How do you know "Blacks" were looting?  There is no evidence to suggest this based on what you posted.

And its amazing to me that you can't see that posts like yours are an example of the problem.  Classification based on race.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 09:11:21 AM »
Because he’s a terrible person...

Another sophomoric and weak offering by Uncle Rico.   

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 09:14:03 AM »

How do you know "Blacks" were looting?  There is no evidence to suggest this based on what you posted.

And its amazing to me that you can't see that posts like yours are an example of the problem.  Classification based on race.

Because I watched Facebook live footage of it happening in real time.  Why are you and the other "woke" liberals so sensitive to acknowledging anything that reflects poorly on Blacks?  Just curious.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 09:14:53 AM »
Please get this Political stuff off of here ! ! !    SUPERBAR ! ! !

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 09:18:43 AM »
Because I watched Facebook live footage of it happening in real time.  Why are you and the other "woke" liberals so sensitive to acknowledging anything that reflects poorly on Blacks?  Just curious.

Oh...now you watched it live.  ::)  ::)  ::)

Anyway, all of these incidents reflect poorly on society at large and they need to be fixed from top to bottom.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 09:24:14 AM »

Oh...now you watched it live.  ::)  ::)  ::)

Anyway, all of these incidents reflect poorly on society at large and they need to be fixed from top to bottom.

Well...I did watch it happening in real time.  I wanted to see if any of the woke liberal posters here would bring this incident up.  Wasn't surprised that it wasn't so much as mentioned, just as it was buried nationally, because it doesn't fit the woke narrative.

And no, things need to be fixed from the individual level up.  Government doesn't solve problems, nor are you, and the other well-intentioned woke liberals.  Empathy is great but that isn't going to change the circumstance to a kid being born into an awful life.  Perhaps a new mantra should be:  No personal responsibility, no peace.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 09:24:47 AM »
Frenns is absolutely right. Lack of trust is huge.
When there was all the trouble back in May after George Floyd, people in my residential neighborhood here in Chicago, and in others, were totally freaked out by the slightest rumor and panicked. For weeks afterwards people posted in neighborhood groups that two different Walgreens had been looted, , when they weren’t. People were convinced Andersonville had been destroyed -the alderman live-streamed the next morning as he drove through -it hadn’t been. My point being that we are all ready to believe things that turn out not to be true, and that is especially true I would imagine when there are very recent incidents.
And no, I’m not pro-looting.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 09:30:50 AM »
Over/Under on number of posts before the lock?

I'm setting the number at 25

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »
Over/Under on number of posts before the lock?

I'm setting the number at 25

I guess it depends on how much Ners wants to fight, and if someone is willing to take him up on it.

panda

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 09:38:39 AM »
Another sophomoric and weak offering by Uncle Rico.

Are you the guy who almost dunked in high school?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 09:45:53 AM »

Maybe he dunked in sophomore year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
Hey guyz ... I saw some of the Blacks on the internet doing things that the Blacks do.  Aren't the Blacks terrible?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »

Maybe he dunked in sophomore year.

Hey guyz ... I saw some of the Blacks on the internet doing things that the Blacks do.  Aren't the Blacks terrible?

This is what happens when the facts at hand don't align with the woke narrative. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »
This is what happens when the facts at hand don't align with the woke narrative.

Or maybe it's what happens when someone has demonstrated with regularity that they have no interest in a debate so everyone decides it's not worth playing along with their grandstanding.

panda

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »

So you just touched net?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »

No, Ners, this is what happens when a completely unserious person tries to use Scoop as a forum for his racism race realism.
There are right-leaning people here, dgies9156 for example, who share their views and engage in thoughtful and honest discussion about them, and they usually get treated respectfully.
You are not one of those people. You offer no insight, no thoughtful discourse, no worthy perspective. Nobody respects what you have to say here. Your posts are clownish and get treated as such.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 10:24:47 AM »
This isn't a complicated issue or a "gotcha" moment for Ners. It's a simple case of misinformation and mob mentality. In this case it's like the game of telephone where somebody says something and the reality is changed as it gets retold. Then you have a lot of angry individuals there who won't listen to reason because a bunch of other people won't.

As far as looting goes. That's not the protestors. That's opportunistic people who have given up long before this all happened.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 10:47:58 AM »
This isn't a complicated issue or a "gotcha" moment for Ners. It's a simple case of misinformation and mob mentality. In this case it's like the game of telephone where somebody says something and the reality is changed as it gets retold. Then you have a lot of angry individuals there who won't listen to reason because a bunch of other people won't.

As far as looting goes. That's not the protestors. That's opportunistic people who have given up long before this all happened.

+1

Additionally, this is showing that the police's lack of transparency in shootings is starting to wear on the community. Where there's a lack of information, people jump to conclusions. Tensions are high enough right now that it's leading directly to violence in our cities.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
Well...I did watch it happening in real time.  I wanted to see if any of the woke liberal posters here would bring this incident up.  Wasn't surprised that it wasn't so much as mentioned, just as it was buried nationally, because it doesn't fit the woke narrative.

And no, things need to be fixed from the individual level up.  Government doesn't solve problems, nor are you, and the other well-intentioned woke liberals.  Empathy is great but that isn't going to change the circumstance to a kid being born into an awful life.  Perhaps a new mantra should be:  No personal responsibility, no peace.

You got your racist dig for the day. You can walk proudly through the rest of the day.

This is going to be the first time I have EVER questioned the mods on Scoop as they do a difficult job very well and aren’t paid nearly enough. But why is this guy allowed to post his racist trash here? There are websites where he and his type can do this happily all day long.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 11:39:54 AM »
Like all evil people who have the temerity to disagree with Scoop's resident High School Dunk King, I am strongly in favor of Black people looting and burning businesses.

More looting! More burning of businesses! Yes!

Very disappointed the OP didn't mention "rioting," "antifa," "BLM," "Marxism," "anarchy," Soros or Obama, though. He must have been distracted thinking about how much better Magic Dawson was than Andrew Rowsey.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »
Mob mentality has been around forever.    How did Jesus end up crucified when Pilate offered to free him?      The mob is stupid.    Witness all of the parties on college campuses in the time of COVID.    Witness the parties on boats in lakes with people urinating, defecating, littering and spreading COVID in these pristine bodies of water.     Look at Emmett Till.   Salem witches.   So, yep, a unruly, multi-ethnic mob did some really stupid, destructive stuff.  They aren't the first.    They won't be the last.    Thank goodness there wasn't a 17 year old with an AR-15 there.   

Maybe it is time to listen?    And hear.   And try to imagine yourself in the generic 'other's' shoes.     What are the underlying reasons, circumstances, history, that makes it so easy for a mob to believe the worst?    Also, maybe it is time to differentiate in your head and heart between protesters and looters.     Instead of lumping everyone together under the heading 'Black.'     Because, honestly, inadequate thinking like that mixed with a heart without compassion is a large contributing factor in how we got here.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »
Mob mentality has been around forever.    How did Jesus end up crucified when Pilate offered to free him?      The mob is stupid.    Witness all of the parties on college campuses in the time of COVID.    Witness the parties on boats in lakes with people urinating, defecating, littering and spreading COVID in these pristine bodies of water.     Look at Emmett Till.   Salem witches.   So, yep, a unruly, multi-ethnic mob did some really stupid, destructive stuff.  They aren't the first.    They won't be the last.    Thank goodness there wasn't a 17 year old with an AR-15 there.   

Maybe it is time to listen?    And hear.   And try to imagine yourself in the generic 'other's' shoes.     What are the underlying reasons, circumstances, history, that makes it so easy for a mob to believe the worst?    Also, maybe it is time to differentiate in your head and heart between protesters and looters.     Instead of lumping everyone together under the heading 'Black.'     Because, honestly, inadequate thinking like that mixed with a heart without compassion is a large contributing factor in how we got here.

Is this the part where I break out the Men in Black quote again?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2020, 12:55:06 PM »
When is it NOT time for a Men in Black quote?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »
+1

Additionally, this is showing that the police's lack of transparency in shootings is starting to wear on the community. Where there's a lack of information, people jump to conclusions. Tensions are high enough right now that it's leading directly to violence in our cities.

I'm +1ing the prior comments from Galway as well. I wanted to ask you/others though, do you really think that recurring press conferences & "police transparency" would in any way have alleviated this or similar incidents? My understanding of how this event occurred was that it was entirely driven by social media & the spread of disinformation. These are people that aren't watching the news at all - the only "news" reaching them is the most of extreme of the extreme. And/or fake stuff.

Those involved just for the looting, which is surely a subset, only looking for an excuse of course.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2020, 01:03:01 PM »
There could be a whole thread on social media disinformation and whether or not it is productive for society.  Fascinating and not a US only problem.

People have been killed in India because of this issue.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2020, 01:07:10 PM »
I just hope Q-Anon can dispatch its vigilantes to Comet Ping Pong pizza again, because word on the interwebs is that Hillary is gearing up her child sex-slave scheme out of there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
Yes.   Social media has become the mob.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »
This is going to be the first time I have EVER questioned the mods on Scoop

The first time?!?  Try to catch up man! 

Why do we allow XXX to post racist stuff? 
Well, in some ways, as long as is isn't hate speech, I think we should let people "hang themselves" with their own words.  Other times, people don't know the words they're using/how they come across, and need to be told as much by others. 

Why is Ners (specifically) still allowed here?
I donno, hes been perma-banned before.  I guess we're more forgiving than priests at confession.

Why are people (You, MU82, 4ever, rocket, etc) allowed to continue to get away with their political digs?
Sure, it's sorta "allowed", more like not always moderated.  Most here occasionally have good points to make, but you all need to try to keep specific politics out of it.

So, carry on.  But try to do so in a respectful way. We'll handle it when the respect is not displayed.  How about that?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2020, 01:27:26 PM »
So, carry on.  But try to do so in a respectful way. We'll handle it when the respect is not displayed.  How about that?

I hereby promise to continue to give this particular thread all the respect it deserves.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
I hereby promise to continue to give this particular thread all the respect it deserves.

If you all did that it would have have zero replies.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2020, 01:35:17 PM »
I'm +1ing the prior comments from Galway as well. I wanted to ask you/others though, do you really think that recurring press conferences & "police transparency" would in any way have alleviated this or similar incidents? My understanding of how this event occurred was that it was entirely driven by social media & the spread of disinformation. These are people that aren't watching the news at all - the only "news" reaching them is the most of extreme of the extreme. And/or fake stuff.

Those involved just for the looting, which is surely a subset, only looking for an excuse of course.

I'll +1 your response as well.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 01:37:47 PM »
The first time?!?  Try to catch up man! 

Why do we allow XXX to post racist stuff? 
Well, in some ways, as long as is isn't hate speech, I think we should let people "hang themselves" with their own words.  Other times, people don't know the words they're using/how they come across, and need to be told as much by others. 

Why is Ners (specifically) still allowed here?
I donno, hes been perma-banned before.  I guess we're more forgiving than priests at confession.

Why are people (You, MU82, 4ever, rocket, etc) allowed to continue to get away with their political digs?
Sure, it's sorta "allowed", more like not always moderated.  Most here occasionally have good points to make, but you all need to try to keep specific politics out of it.

Thanks for the response. As usual, an outstanding job of "moderating".

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »
If you all did that it would have have zero replies.
True
Goal is National Championship

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 02:27:41 PM »
In threads like these, there is plenty of name calling on both sides.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »

Also, very fine people.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »
Also, very fine people.

That’s funny

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2020, 08:13:31 PM »
Sounds like time for a group hug.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2020, 08:23:48 PM »

This is when we all need to remember the “sticks and stones” corollary. Unfortunately I feel like I’m back on the playground all too often. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2020, 09:51:46 PM »
You all are still doing better than the folks over at Dobbs's place - Somebody started a thread on BLM issues which Dobbs himself hijacked by posting that all of our problems would be solved if they would just lower taxes.

"Keep the politicians out of the mix....let the business owners keep their $$...."
DoddsOnSports

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2020, 08:17:58 AM »
You all are still doing better than the folks over at Dobbs's place - Somebody started a thread on BLM issues which Dobbs himself hijacked by posting that all of our problems would be solved if they would just lower taxes.

"Keep the politicians out of the mix....let the business owners keep their $$...."
DoddsOnSports

Dodds Logic 101.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »

DoddsOnSports

I'm thinking the dentist's office ransacked by the far left street gangs in Portland last night so they could get furniture to set fires would have a different opinion on that this morning.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”