collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hurricane Laura  (Read 682 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Hurricane Laura
« on: August 26, 2020, 01:40:39 PM »
Just when I thought 2020 couldn't get worse...Hurricane Laura has had one of the most rapid intensifications on record, and is forecast to bring a catastrophic and 'unsurvivable' storm surge to Texas and Louisiana. Current projections call for a 13-foot surge that could go up to 30 miles inland.

Wow....

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/26/hurricane-laura-forecast-category-4-poses-catastrophic-threat-to-louisiana-and-texas.html

Hurricane Laura, a major Category 4 storm, is set to hit near the Texas-Louisiana border on Thursday morning as local officials scramble to evacuate thousands of residents.

The storm’s rapid intensification shocked scientists and prompted forecasters to issue warnings of “unsurvivable storm surge” in Texas and Louisiana.

“Unsurvivable storm surge with large and destructive waves will cause catastrophic damage from Sea Rim State Park, Texas, to Intracoastal City, Louisiana, including Calcasieu and Sabine Lakes,” the National Hurricane Center said on Wednesday. “This surge could penetrate up to 30 miles inland from the immediate coastline.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Hurricane Laura
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 01:59:58 PM »
2020 is rapidly turning into a verb - as in 'to be 2020'ed'.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 03:00:05 PM »
Not that I'm a believer in this stuff, but my wife and kids said there's some kind of cosmic alignment in 2020 and is associated with unusual happenings in the universe and the last time the alignment occurred was 1968 (if I recall).

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »
Collective memory recalls Hurricane Katrina, NO's burst dikes and you're doin a great job Brownie...but the far bigger dog followed shortly thereafter...Hurricane Rita.

Rita had the same path and intensity as Laura...So...I expect we will see wipeout devastation in the same areas. There are tons of low lying areas (expect 25 miles plus inland storm surge flooding)and to the north, the deep woods of East Texas/West Louisiana will be shutdown for weeks. There is a severe lack of infrastructure over there.

After Rita, a friend who part owns Brookshire Bros grocery chain, flew the company plane from store to store in these small towns just to pick up workers laundry. Lost Elec power, which runs all communications, and also shuts down all water plants leaves folks needing drinking water and being totally isolated. Recovery time after Rita portends the same area will be down for a month or two

Houston is vigilant, as we remember Katrina/Rita was followed by Hurricane Ike ...3 in same year. For sheer size Ike was the biggest ...covering most of the Gulf. Sustained winds, lots of rain....the eye took a full 50 minutes to pass over us...a Weird hour of respite. Size actually dissipated intensity and it was only cat 2 in my area of NW Houston burbs. Still a multi billion dollar loss

Unlike Houston area,  Laura's path has little indigenous local  and state structure so its path victims, somewhat like Katrina/NO, will be much more dependent on Federal assistance. It will be interesting to see if the feds are up this one. If they arent already traveling there now they have made mistake one.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.