[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Smoked Meats Matta  (Read 10357 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: Smoked Meats Matta
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
Definitely +1 on brining.  Really helps retain moisture. 

I also learned from experience that less wood/smoke is more.  I have added too much wood or added wood too late in the cooking process, and ended up with a way-too-smokey bird.  Especially becuase turkey is a relatively delicate flavor, its easy to have the smoke overpower everything.  So go lighter on the smoke/wood chips than you think you should.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2021, 12:39:32 PM »
Definitely +1 on brining.  Really helps retain moisture. 

I also learned from experience that less wood/smoke is more.  I have added too much wood or added wood too late in the cooking process, and ended up with a way-too-smokey bird.  Especially becuase turkey is a relatively delicate flavor, its easy to have the smoke overpower everything.  So go lighter on the smoke/wood chips than you think you should.

Good point on the smoke. Thanks.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »
Also fwiw, I prefer wet brines to dry brines, but that could just be because I haven't given dry brines a fair shake.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2021, 01:36:48 PM »
I've used this brine recipe for 10+ years.  Works like magic.  Plus it makes the house smell like heaven:

3 cups Apple Juice Or Apple Cider
    2 gallons Cold Water
    4 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary Leaves
    5 cloves Garlic, Minced
    1-1/2 cup Kosher Salt
    2 cups Brown Sugar
    3 Tablespoons Peppercorns
    5 whole Bay Leaves
    Peel Of Three Large Oranges

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover.

Allow to cool completely, (easy to take outside this time of year to cool down) then pour into a large brining bag or pot. Place uncooked turkey in brine solution, then refrigerate for 16 to 24 hours.  No more than 24.

When ready to roast turkey, remove turkey from brine. Submerge turkey in a pot or sink of fresh, cold water. Allow to sit in clean water for 15 minutes to remove excess salt from the outside.

Discard brine. Remove turkey from clean water, pat dry, and cook according to your normal roasting method.

Ludum habemus.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2021, 01:57:35 PM »
Anyone have thoughts re herb butter or olive oil on or under the skin?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2021, 02:52:13 PM »
Anyone have thoughts re herb butter or olive oil on or under the skin?

IMO, butter pads.  Because butter > olive oil for a meal like this.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2021, 03:03:28 PM »
After the brine I was going to put some herbs under the skin. I was also thinking about laying some  bacon on top as a self-basting mechanism. Any thoughts on that? And..thanks for all the in put I appreciate it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2021, 03:56:35 PM »
Also fwiw, I prefer wet brines to dry brines, but that could just be because I haven't given dry brines a fair shake.

Both wet brines and dry brines make for a juicy turkey. I dry-brined and spatchcocked my turkey last year and it was delicious, and a little easier for living in a high-rise than an immersion brine.

Dry Brine - https://www.seriouseats.com/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving

Spatchcocked, herb-butter'd turkey - https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-how-to-make-herb-butter-roasted-turkey-thanksgiving-recipe

Edit - It helped tremendously getting a heritage bird. They are slimmer so they're easier to cook. Probably a little late to hunt one down for this year, but for anyone in Chicago - Publican takes preorders
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 03:58:08 PM by Skatastrophy »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2021, 09:16:34 PM »
After the brine I was going to put some herbs under the skin. I was also thinking about laying some  bacon on top as a self-basting mechanism. Any thoughts on that? And..thanks for all the in put I appreciate it.
Yes to bacon. I personally have never brined any turkey i have cooked and have never one come out dry. Unnecessary IMO.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2021, 05:20:20 AM »
Yes to wet brine. And yet to butter under the skin. I’m going to add Green Mountain’s poultry seasoning, plus black pepper to the butter this year. GMG’s poultry seasoning was a nice find for me.

Sir Lawrence, thanks for sharing your brine recipe.

Just picked up a new pellet smoker with a rotisserie. Want to try Ina Garten’s Tuscan turkey recipe on it. Might need to play with the stuffing ingredients. I will have to practice butcher knots for this one. Looks like a great recipe for a rotisserie.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 05:37:52 AM by real chili 83 »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2021, 11:43:32 AM »
Yes to bacon. I personally have never brined any turkey i have cooked and have never one come out dry. Unnecessary IMO.

Totally up to you, but I'll argue for brineing for a sec here: Brining is partially for juiciness, but also the only way to season the meat of the bird beyond the surface.

1. Jucieness - Salt breaks down certain muscle proteins, which prevents those muscle fibers from contracting so much during cooking, which means less moisture is squeezed out
2. Seasoning - Salt (and literally none of the aromatics that people put in their brine for fun) is drawn into the bird while it's breaking down the muscle protein. This action takes a while, so a 24-48 hour brine is recommended to get some seasoning into that bird

You can crutch with an overly-salty gravy, but I prefer to have each of my ingredients on a plate seasoned well enough that they can stand alone.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2021, 08:38:38 PM »
Hey SirLawrence, I did (mostly) your brine and the turkey turned out great. Thanks.

FWIW I suppe 1/2 cup of maple syrup for 1/2 cup of brown sugar because I ran out of brown sugar. That was the main deviation.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2021, 09:14:44 PM »
Hey SirLawrence, I did (mostly) your brine and the turkey turned out great. Thanks.

FWIW I suppe 1/2 cup of maple syrup for 1/2 cup of brown sugar because I ran out of brown sugar. That was the main deviation.

I like your modification!  Glad it worked out.
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2021, 04:28:16 AM »
I've used this brine recipe for 10+ years.  Works like magic.  Plus it makes the house smell like heaven:

3 cups Apple Juice Or Apple Cider
    2 gallons Cold Water
    4 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary Leaves
    5 cloves Garlic, Minced
    1-1/2 cup Kosher Salt
    2 cups Brown Sugar
    3 Tablespoons Peppercorns
    5 whole Bay Leaves
    Peel Of Three Large Oranges

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover.

Allow to cool completely, (easy to take outside this time of year to cool down) then pour into a large brining bag or pot. Place uncooked turkey in brine solution, then refrigerate for 16 to 24 hours.  No more than 24.

When ready to roast turkey, remove turkey from brine. Submerge turkey in a pot or sink of fresh, cold water. Allow to sit in clean water for 15 minutes to remove excess salt from the outside.

Discard brine. Remove turkey from clean water, pat dry, and cook according to your normal roasting method.

Going with your brine recipe for a turkey on the smoker for Christmas. 

Speaking of smoked meats, wet brining two pork bellies for smoked bacon and smoked candied bacon.  Candied bacon is great in a bloody. 

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2021, 05:50:50 AM »
How do you cook bacon?  Oven, fry pan, microwave, grill.  Messes the grill up.
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2021, 07:37:43 AM »

Oven, convect mode. Let the bacon get to room temperature.

Throw the pan in and set the oven to 380. No pre-heat.

I usually have to rotate the pan for even cooking towards the end.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2021, 07:53:32 AM »
Oven, convect mode. Let the bacon get to room temperature.

Throw the pan in and set the oven to 380. No pre-heat.

I usually have to rotate the pan for even cooking towards the end.

Just add that I use a mesh/grate for grease to naturally collect in the pan, then you can save (I like to use a chili starter when browning the meat).

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
Just add that I use a mesh/grate for grease to naturally collect in the pan, then you can save (I like to use a chili starter when browning the meat).

An added value of the grate is that the bacon stays stretched on it, so it cooks nice and flat. Great for sandwiches.

Then again: I was talking to my bacon guy at the farmers market about BLTs. He takes thick-cut bacon, fries it, then mixes it up in a slurry with mayo for his BLTs. I tried it and it's decadent to be sure. As you guessed hee is not a small man, lol.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2021, 06:09:46 PM »

I typically do it in the oven.  Less mess, etc.  Pan fried on a big ass cast iron griddle on either a pellet grill or a gas grill is great.

Candied bacon, definitely on the pellet grill at about 270.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2021, 06:55:22 PM »
Totally up to you, but I'll argue for brineing for a sec here: Brining is partially for juiciness, but also the only way to season the meat of the bird beyond the surface.

1. Jucieness - Salt breaks down certain muscle proteins, which prevents those muscle fibers from contracting so much during cooking, which means less moisture is squeezed out
2. Seasoning - Salt (and literally none of the aromatics that people put in their brine for fun) is drawn into the bird while it's breaking down the muscle protein. This action takes a while, so a 24-48 hour brine is recommended to get some seasoning into that bird

You can crutch with an overly-salty gravy, but I prefer to have each of my ingredients on a plate seasoned well enough that they can stand alone.

partial correction-tumblers or vacuum tumblers will distribute the seasoning to the depths, BUT they will run you $300-$10,000+ so you're essentially right skatman
don't...don't don't don't don't

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2021, 07:33:24 PM »
  partial correction-tumblers or vacuum tumblers will distribute the seasoning to the depths, BUT they will run you $300-$10,000+ so you're essentially right skatman

I'll have to look those up sounds interesting!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2021, 06:18:54 AM »
Larry, your brine recipe was awesome.  This was a top 5 turkey.

Got some butter with black pepper and a poultry rub under the skin.  Cooked on the pellet smoker with an apple, cherry, maple mix.  Also had some hickory mixed in. 275 degrees.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2021, 06:58:29 AM »
Larry, your brine recipe was awesome.  This was a top 5 turkey.

Got some butter with black pepper and a poultry rub under the skin.  Cooked on the pellet smoker with an apple, cherry, maple mix.  Also had some hickory mixed in. 275 degrees.

Glad to hear that it worked out for you.  Sounds delicious.
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2022, 06:19:36 AM »
Had dinner at Doc’s this weekend for first time.

Damn

Righteous bbq.

Adding to this post, had the brisket, ribs and a hot link, 3 meat platter. All were really, really good.  Also tried the Brunswick stew….first time. It won’t be the last. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:15:45 PM by real chili 83 »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2022, 07:52:32 AM »
I’ll pass that along to my son in law.  As you might know, the pandemic has been rough in the hospitality industry.  He reopened Milwaukee in October.  The Madison location had to close again this weekend due to too many COVID sick servers.  But it really is pretty good.  Thank you for the shout out. 
Ludum habemus.

feedback