collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Conventions  (Read 3506 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Conventions
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 01:41:07 PM »
While I won't dispute that many CLEs are mediocre presentations that many people take just out of necessity, there are also some good ad useful ones. In my experience, the key is finding some in your field of practice that talk about 'advanced' issues. A couple of examples from my field of health care regulatory law: A basic HIPAA 101 CLE would be a waste of my time since I know it backward and forward...but a more advanced course about some of the more debatable issues can be interesting and helpful (to get a perspective on how others view them). Likewise, Medicare 101 would be nap time, but a topic about recent whistleblower cases or advanced medical record documentation issues can be very helpful.

Once I take the time to find the kind that actually hold my interest and impart stuff that I might use to inform my practice, Im usually halfway to the requirement. The rest - as you portray - is usually fluff to fulfill the requirement.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »
But without anyone keeping track of it, how do you know who is keeping themselves educated and who isn't?

My point is that the large majority are just going through the motions to keep themselves licensed. They aren't "educating" themselves.

They turn on webinars, then go do something else in their house.  They go to a conference, sign in to a talk, then go to dinner.

They're paying for the number of credits they need. They aren't being educated.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2020, 03:05:42 PM »
My point is that the large majority are just going through the motions to keep themselves licensed. They aren't "educating" themselves.

They turn on webinars, then go do something else in their house.  They go to a conference, sign in to a talk, then go to dinner.

They're paying for the number of credits they need. They aren't being educated.

I myself am not an attorney but work with a lot of attorneys and attend a lot of events and conventions where CLEs are offered. This hasn't been my personal experience.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2020, 04:09:01 PM »
I’d rather go in person to a CLE, though I do take some online. As I am pretty much retired, I will take some outside what was my practice area. Sometimes I figure I will multitask but then I get interested.
Next week is the big one that my old office puts on, usually at what was known as Hamburger U in Oakbrook. They let alumni come if there is extra room. This year it is virtual, and I will miss seeing my old compatriots and catching up on what’s going on in the criminal justice system.

feedback