[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 112776 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1350 on: September 15, 2022, 09:00:24 AM »
Federer announced his retirement. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: September 15, 2022, 09:21:02 AM »

He had been "retired" for some time now, but he now makes it official.

“I am 41 years old, I have played more than 1,500 matches over 24 years,” Federer said in an audio clip posted on social media. “Tennis has treated me more generously than I ever would have dreamed and now I must recognize when it is time to end my competitive career.”

And what a career it was. Loved watching his surgical precision and his will to win on display.

Rafa is on the clock. It wouldn't stun me if he announces his retirement this year or next.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: September 15, 2022, 10:10:14 AM »
He had been "retired" for some time now, but he now makes it official.

“I am 41 years old, I have played more than 1,500 matches over 24 years,” Federer said in an audio clip posted on social media. “Tennis has treated me more generously than I ever would have dreamed and now I must recognize when it is time to end my competitive career.”

And what a career it was. Loved watching his surgical precision and his will to win on display.

Rafa is on the clock. It wouldn't stun me if he announces his retirement this year or next.

Rafa was at about 66% at the USOpen.   I still think he's got one more French Open in him.  15 just sounds better than 14.  The Djoker could still very well catch him but my hope is Alcaraz kicks up his level a year earlier than I expect.  Ideally the way for Rafa to go out would be for him to throttle both Alcaraz and Djokovic at Roland Garros, snag #15, and for the organizers of the French Open to print Vamos fifteen times with Rafa's image at the back of the center court.  There are no guarantees in life.....except that 15 with a record of 119-3 will never be touched.  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: September 15, 2022, 10:59:07 AM »
Rafa was at about 66% at the USOpen.   I still think he's got one more French Open in him.  15 just sounds better than 14.  The Djoker could still very well catch him but my hope is Alcaraz kicks up his level a year earlier than I expect.  Ideally the way for Rafa to go out would be for him to throttle both Alcaraz and Djokovic at Roland Garros, snag #15, and for the organizers of the French Open to print Vamos fifteen times with Rafa's image at the back of the center court.  There are no guarantees in life.....except that 15 with a record of 119-3 will never be touched.  :)

All of that would be cool.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1354 on: September 15, 2022, 01:01:51 PM »

Definitely open to discussion, but I think Federer is #1 all-time. Although, if Borg had played till age 40, He would have enough titles to never be caught.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1355 on: September 15, 2022, 01:24:44 PM »
Definitely open to discussion, but I think Federer is #1 all-time. Although, if Borg had played till age 40, He would have enough titles to never be caught.

FWIW, fun fact, at the same age/period of his life when Borg retired, Fed actually had more grand slams.  Borg's run was dominant, but I think his relative lack of hard court Grand Slam success would have prevented "uncatchable" major totals.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1356 on: September 15, 2022, 01:43:17 PM »

My take is he's the most complete and talented player of all time but both Djoker and Nadal are better.  They're mentally tougher imo.  There are a handful of results that may have changed my point of view, matches where Federer absolutely should have won against both players, but the bottom line is he didn't.  I will also add that Nadal exploited Fed's backhand on clay and he was never the same player on that surface.  He could not handle the heavy (and also bad-ass) top-spin Rafa put on the ball in extended rallies.  I stand by my opinion that clay is the most pure tennis surface because you get way fewer free points on serve and can cover the most ground with great footwork. 

I will say that Borg winning 6 French, and 5 Wimbledons by age 25, some of them back to back (and a week or two weeks apart ) is extraordinary.  This can't just be glossed over when discussing the all-time greats.  That said, when three guys completely eviscerate their competition for 17-20 yrs, so much so that you could pencil them in to get to GS semis, and their opponents visibly knew that had no chance whatsoever, it's impossible for me not to conclude they are the three greatest players to have ever stepped on the court.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1357 on: September 15, 2022, 03:18:52 PM »
FWIW, fun fact, at the same age/period of his life when Borg retired, Fed actually had more grand slams.  Borg's run was dominant, but I think his relative lack of hard court Grand Slam success would have prevented "uncatchable" major totals.

You’re probably right, though I was referring to all titles won - not just majors.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1358 on: September 16, 2022, 08:46:12 AM »
ATP Challenger Tour Press Release of increased money and improvements:

https://twitter.com/atpchallenger/status/1570759455809093633?s=21&t=IrABYbkVlNgmNhp1or9fDw

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1359 on: September 25, 2022, 08:59:08 PM »
First ATP Singles Title for Brandon Nakashima, and, he does it in his hometown of San Diego. Tomorrow he will be the 9th American currently ranked in the ATP Top 50.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: September 30, 2022, 08:56:25 AM »
Reem is very good and reliable. Would like to see the numbers:

https://twitter.com/reemabulleil/status/1575808049348251648?s=21&t=ehLucKL3dOmvGoPprcJ_SQ

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1361 on: October 03, 2022, 08:16:17 PM »
The new Number 1 Ranked ATP World Doubles Player is……………….

Rajeev Ram.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1362 on: October 18, 2022, 07:22:38 AM »
Qualifying tourney winner, wins over Collins, Sabalenka, Pliskova, Sakkari, Davis, to the final for Donna Vekic. She’s back in top 20 form in rainy, chilly San Diego. Nice to see.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1363 on: October 19, 2022, 03:43:36 PM »
Coco Gauff becomes 1 of the first 5 of 8 to qualify for the WTA Singles Finals, becoming the youngest player to do so in 18 years.

She is joined in both singles and doubles by Jessie Pegula, as they also made the WTA Finals as a doubles team.

They will also be 2 of 5 Americans playing for the United States, in the Billie Jean King Cup Finals, along with Danielle Collins, Madison Keys, and Taylor Townsend.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1364 on: November 24, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
United States loses in Davis Cup Quarterfinals to Italy.

The deciding match was doubles. The USA Team chose not to take Rajeev Ram even after his strong season, and recent US. Open Title put him at number 1 in the world at the time. The team is allowed to take 5 players. They took 4.

https://twitter.com/RajeevRam/status/1595800942250807296?t=a56LH55VkAzN5GymYx8jKw&s=19

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1365 on: January 08, 2023, 09:05:49 AM »
World Number 7 Coco Gauff wins the first singles event of the year without losing a set, the ASB New Zeal 250.

The United States has won the inaugural United Cup (18 countries) Jessie Pegula, Madison Keys, Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe, (Alycia Parks, Desirae Krawczyk, Dennis Kudla, Hunter Reese. also on the team)

Almost a 3 event American Sweep but Sebi Korda fell to Novak Djokovic 7-6, 6-7, 4-6, in the Adelaide 1 Final.
Among the many highlights, Pegula over Swiatek, Fritz over Berrettini, USA won 22 of 24 matches.

Lots of rain in so far in both New Zealand and Australia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1366 on: January 16, 2023, 09:18:58 AM »
Unfortunately, Kyrgios pulled out of the Australian Open with a knee injury. I don't like him ... but I do like to root against him, and he is a great entertainer who relishes his role as foil. He had his best season last year, and the Aussie is his home tournament, so it could have been real interesting. That his withdrawal happened on the heels of Alcaraz and Osaka also not being able to compete hurts the luster of this year's event a little. Having Djokovic back helps, though.

In the first day of play, Nadal labored through the first three sets of his match against Jack Draper of England, who finally succumbed to the all-time men's majors leader in the fourth set after battling through his own injuries. Rafa is seeded #1 but he's had an injury-filled (and loss-filled) last couple of months, and it's probably the least confident I've been of his chances in any major he's entered as top seed. He looked all of his 36 years old.

Numerous times in their match, Nadal and Draper complained about the tennis balls being flat, and the umpire took several out of play.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1367 on: January 16, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »
Congratulations to Taylor Townsend for already winning 2 WTA Doubles titles in 2023 with two different partners.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1368 on: January 16, 2023, 07:25:12 PM »
Congratulations to Taylor Townsend for already winning 2 WTA Doubles titles in 2023 with two different partners.

And the first main draw slam singles win for mom Tay in 3 years. Nice little January.

Speaking of Atlanta, the pride of Georgia Tech, Giraffe, Chris Eubanks, gained his first ever AO main draw slam singles win.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1369 on: January 17, 2023, 09:42:07 PM »
More important than any match - Chris Evert says she’s now cancer-free.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1370 on: January 18, 2023, 06:35:41 AM »
Rafa is out.  He's obviously banged up. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1371 on: January 18, 2023, 07:31:45 AM »
Rafa is out.  He's obviously banged up.

Mackie McDonald was the better player.

Mackke also defeated Brandon Nakashima the previous round.

5 recent American wins over Nadal. Fritz twiice, Tiafoe, and Paul.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1372 on: January 18, 2023, 08:18:55 AM »
Yes, Mackie was the better player against a 36-year-old guy who entered the tournament unfit and who could barely move at the end.

It was a sad day for tennis. Rafa has battled back before, but he looks done.

I'm guessing that if he can move at all he'll give the French one more try. If the result is similar, he'll hang it up.

As a fan, I'm grateful for the hundreds of hours of enjoyment I've gotten from watching the most accomplished (and perhaps greatest) tennis player of the modern era play the sport as nobody before him ever did and nobody after him ever will.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 08:42:15 AM by MU82 »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1373 on: January 18, 2023, 08:24:28 AM »
End of the AO singles road for Caty McNally. Great job working her way into the WTA Top 100 and, into the Round of 64 at the AO. Still has dubs with Stefani.

Collins with a 1:13am local time win over Muchova to round 3, even though she forgot the deciding breaker goes to 10 and not 7. What a moment there.

Pegula, Keys and Gauff were all business advancing into singles round 3. Gauff over Raducanu.

Korda and Tiafoe eased into round 3 singles as well.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1374 on: January 18, 2023, 09:28:02 AM »
Yes, Mackie was the better player against a 36-year-old guy who entered the tournament unfit and who could barely move at the end.

It was a sad day for tennis. Rafa has battled back before, but he looks done.

I'm guessing that if he can move at all he'll give the French one more try. If the result is similar, he'll hang it up.

As a fan, I'm grateful for the hundreds of hours of enjoyment I've gotten from watching the most accomplished (and perhaps greatest) tennis player of the modern era play the sport as nobody before him ever did and nobody after him ever will.
Until Djoker passes him