collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 12:53:11 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 106501 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2020, 04:12:53 PM »
Nadal over Schwartzman in straight sets. Loses convincingly two weeks ago to same opponent and makes adjustments. Moved up 10 feet on returns where Nadal is less comfortable but it was more effective. For undersized Schwartzman to win against Nadal, he has to have his "A" game and he didn't...left too many balls short. Nadal cut off baseline.

Djokovic outlasts Tsitsipas in 5 sets. Tsitsipas was 0 for 10 in his first 10 break point chances and Djokovic was 4 of 5. Nole played the big points better, and that is often the separator. Tsitsipas was able to turn that stat around later, take advantage of 2nd serves in the match and made it a 5th set take all.

Tale of the tape:

All time record head to head:
Djokovic 29 Nadal 26

In their last 18 matches:
Djokovic 14 Nadal 4

In their last 15 matches on clay since 2015:
Nadal 8 Djokovic 7

In Majors:
Nadal 9 Djokovic 6

At French Open:
Nadal 6 Djokovic 1 (1-0 Djokovic since 2015)

All time Major titles:
Federer 20
Nadal 19
Djokovic 17

MU82

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2020, 11:53:38 PM »
Rafa!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »
Poland Garros.

Iga Swiatek dismantles Sofia Kenin 6-4,6-1 to become the first female or male player from Poland to win a Grand Slam.

Slow, uptight start from Kenin, too many unforced errors, in between decision making, not wanting longer rallies, hesitant to approach. Rallied later first set but unusually deflated after losing it. Swiatek steady, and big shots in big moments. Heavy, depth, top spin, angles. Strong at net.

Terrible but unsurprising NBC broadcast effort. Instead of using many capable broadcasters that were on site for 2 weeks, channel switch to NBC and they use 3 people in a U.S. studio. Dan Hicks and Johnny Mac were terrible. Mary Carillo can and is good at times but loses quality when pared w/life long friend in McEnroe.

Swiatek never lost more than 5 games in a match in the entire tourney. Dominant.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2020, 03:58:21 PM »
Rafa!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2020, 05:09:09 PM »
Rafa!

Rafa Nadal? Nice up and coming player. Has potential. I’m not so sure about all these massive spin quantities and  variety and receiving serve super deep. Might have a nice little career. Ha!

But what’s that you say, you want more info about EEE-ga ....shh-vee AH-tek?

Iga Swiatek, the 19 year old Polish teen is the youngest French Open winner since Monica Seles in 1992. She lost the fewest games in doing so since Steffi Graf in 1988. She almost became the first player since Mary Pierce to win both singles and doubles the same year at the French. (Swiatek lost in the dubs semis)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:52:16 PM by shoothoops »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2020, 08:56:56 AM »
Only one set but, did not see this coming. Not even fun to watch at this point.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »
Only one set but, did not see this coming. Not even fun to watch at this point.

We'll see. That's why they play best of 5. Be patient. It took almost an hour. There are different types of bagels.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:00:32 AM by shoothoops »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2020, 09:20:53 AM »
We'll see. That's why they play best of 5. Be patient. It took almost an hour. There are different types of bagels.

IDK, Novak wont go full Kyrgios out there and quit, it just "feels" like Rafa is toying with him the way Joker can toy with 99% of players on a hard court.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2020, 09:32:52 AM »
IDK, Novak wont go full Kyrgios out there and quit, it just "feels" like Rafa is toying with him the way Joker can toy with 99% of players on a hard court.

Djokovic is uncharacteristically struggling on his serve. He didn't start hitting out until set 2. Can't ease into it. Had his chances for close first set. Missed break point opportunities. 13 unforced errors.

You can't ease into a final v Nadal, feel out process. Gotta come out asap. Nadal playing well from the jump. Nadal has won 4 of 5 head to head on clay.  Djokovic will need to clean up his game and have Nadal come down a level to take it deep. Nadal too good thus far.

So far, (plenty of time left) this is what can happen when one elite player plays at his level and the other does not.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:56:22 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2020, 10:56:11 AM »
RAFA!!!!!!!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
RAFA!!!!!!!

At Roland Garros...

15 years.
13 Titles
100 Wins 2 Losses

MU82

• All American
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2020, 12:12:42 PM »
To beat him, you have to bring your A+ game. For the first set and a half, Novak didn’t even have his B- game.

Novak finally found his serve but he just wasn’t sharp enough to beat The King of Clay.

I appreciate the 3-set win so I don’t have to go back and forth between tennis and football.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2020, 01:26:18 PM »
What is tennis going to do when Rafa, Djokovic and Federer eventually retire.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2020, 01:48:39 PM »
What is tennis going to do when Rafa, Djokovic and Federer eventually retire.

Tennis will keep moving forward with other players as they have before.

These are three all time greats and the best of their overlapping eras. But eras are different and aren't really comparable. Open vs Non Open era, Slam $, Slam emphasis, technology, fitness, nutrition, training, coaching, etc...have all changed and evolved over the years and decades.

I like what Pete Sampras said when asked how he would have done in today's game. He said, I'd like to think I would have adjusted." Even when Sampras played, for much if his career, counting slams wasn't a thing.

Chris Evert won 125 straight matches on clay. Martina Navratilova won 59 combined slams across several categories. Along came Graf, Seles, Williams sisters, others.

These three are very deserving to be celebrated and are worthy of all of the accolades. But new players will keep coming along. No individual player or team is bigger than any sport.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2020, 02:18:57 PM »
I'll disagree with you a little, shoot. These three players actually ARE bigger than tennis. They have owned and dominated tennis.

I am not saying there won't be great players in the future. I am saying that it will be a long, long time -- if ever -- that even one player as good as these three arrives.

So the odds of the three greatest players ever overlapping each others' careers for close to two decades are extremely long. Actually, astronomical.

Meanwhile ...

It's fun to speculate which of the big three will end up with the most majors.

I'll eliminate Roger. He is 39, which is 5 years older than Rafa and 6 years older than Novak. Roger is still in phenomenal shape, and he's very strong mentally, so he certainly could win one or two more, but I think that's his ceiling - say 22.

Today's win was huge for Rafa because it ties him with Roger and puts him 3 ahead of Novak. (Had Djokovic won, he'd have been within 1 of Rafa and 2 of Federer.) Rafa probably has a minimum of 2-3 more French Opens in him, and I'll say he picks up 2 more wins from the other three majors before he's done. So I'll put him at 24-25.

Novak, when healthy, is an athletic freak, and he has the best all-around game in tennis. I would say he has 4 more years during which he can win 1-2 majors per year. I'll give him 6 during that time -- 2 in each of 2 years, and 1 in each of 2 more years. That's 23.

So, I'm saying Rafa 24 (maybe 25), Novak 23, Roger 22.

Call your bookie!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »
I'll disagree with you a little, shoot. These three players actually ARE bigger than tennis. They have owned and dominated tennis.

I am not saying there won't be great players in the future. I am saying that it will be a long, long time -- if ever -- that even one player as good as these three arrives.

So the odds of the three greatest players ever overlapping each others' careers for close to two decades are extremely long. Actually, astronomical.

Meanwhile ...

It's fun to speculate which of the big three will end up with the most majors.

I'll eliminate Roger. He is 39, which is 5 years older than Rafa and 6 years older than Novak. Roger is still in phenomenal shape, and he's very strong mentally, so he certainly could win one or two more, but I think that's his ceiling - say 22.

Today's win was huge for Rafa because it ties him with Roger and puts him 3 ahead of Novak. (Had Djokovic won, he'd have been within 1 of Rafa and 2 of Federer.) Rafa probably has a minimum of 2-3 more French Opens in him, and I'll say he picks up 2 more wins from the other three majors before he's done. So I'll put him at 24-25.

Novak, when healthy, is an athletic freak, and he has the best all-around game in tennis. I would say he has 4 more years during which he can win 1-2 majors per year. I'll give him 6 during that time -- 2 in each of 2 years, and 1 in each of 2 more years. That's 23.

So, I'm saying Rafa 24 (maybe 25), Novak 23, Roger 22.

Call your bookie!

I understand what you are saying. And I can say without hesitation that these three are and will be enormous all time names in the sport.

How difficult is it to win? Nadal has not won a Wimbledon Title, nor has he won an Australian Open title in the past decade. His other than French event is the U.S. Open where he has four.

Djokovic’ favorite Slam, and best performing Slam is the Australian. And, Fed’s has been Wimbledon. Fed has been more traditional of a non-clay court player in that he has a lot of balance in 3 slams, many, many, Titles in 3 of them, but he secured the elusive French once. Djokovic has had a similar pattern, a few less and swap U.S. Open with Australian Open.

As I said before, it isn’t really possible to compare eras. So many times in the past top players skipped Australia because it was played at a different time of year. That hasn’t been the case in the more modern era. Slam money is huge now compared to past eras. For example, to a top few hundred player, a little Slam success, just one, can help cover your expenses that year. Counting slams was not a thing in the past.

For a while winning Slams will be more spread out than these three. It will be the case in men and women. It is more difficult than ever to win.

But time goes by, new players come through. These are the three best men’s players of their overlapping eras. No question about it. But no chance I am comparing them with Sampras, Laver, whomever because so many things change over time. Different circumstances.

These are three elite players to be enjoyed while you can, but tennis will be okay when they leave. They have been great in their eras. And of course they would be all time greats in any era. There will be new eras over time.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 05:49:53 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2020, 06:31:17 PM »
By the way, 512 tests between U.S. Open and French Open singles players, Men and Women twice. All tests except one were negative for COVID-19. Bubbles work.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2020, 07:03:20 PM »
I understand what you are saying. And I can say without hesitation that these three are and will be enormous all time names in the sport.

How difficult is it to win? Nadal has not won a Wimbledon Title, nor has he won an Australian Open title in the past decade. His other than French event is the U.S. Open where he has four.

Djokovic’ favorite Slam, and best performing Slam is the Australian. And, Fed’s has been Wimbledon. Fed has been more traditional of a non-clay court player in that he has a lot of balance in 3 slams, many, many, Titles in 3 of them, but he secured the elusive French once. Djokovic has had a similar pattern, a few less and swap U.S. Open with Australian Open.

As I said before, it isn’t really possible to compare eras. So many times in the past top players skipped Australia because it was played at a different time of year. That hasn’t been the case in the more modern era. Slam money is huge now compared to past eras. For example, to a top few hundred player, a little Slam success, just one, can help cover your expenses that year. Counting slams was not a thing in the past.

For a while winning Slams will be more spread out than these three. It will be the case in men and women. It is more difficult than ever to win.

But time goes by, new players come through. These are the three best men’s players of their overlapping eras. No question about it. But no chance I am comparing them with Sampras, Laver, whomever because so many things change over time. Different circumstances.

These are three elite players to be enjoyed while you can, but tennis will be okay when they leave. They have been great in their eras. And of course they would be all time greats in any era. There will be new eras over time.

I turn 60 this week. I’m thinking I will never again see a trio dominate men’s tennis the way these three have.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2020, 12:07:59 PM »
22 year old Frances Tiafoe won the Parma, Italy ATP 250 Challenger, (his 5th Challenger title) He's playing Sardinia as well, including doubles with American Tommy Paul (who had a deep French Open doubles run)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2020, 02:18:23 PM »
Interesting COVID-19 situation.

American Sam Querrey tested positive for COVID-19 at The St. Petersburg, Russia tour event this week. (so did his wife and 8 month old son) Protocol is to quarantine 14 days at The Four Seasons St. Petersburg. However, Querrey received an unexpected call from Russian Health Officials saying he could be forced to be hospitalized if experiencing symptoms. (they were)

Uncertain of what would happen next, and concerned about possibly separating from their 8 month old son in a foreign country, Querrey and family“escape” on a private jet with whom he is affiliated as a sponsor. Querrey paid for a flight across borders into an unknown European Country that does not require negative COVID-19 test upon entry. And they are staying at an Air BNB there. 

Straight out of a movie.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:24:38 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2020, 06:51:59 PM »
With a win tomorrow in Vienna, Novak Djokovic will tie Pete Sampras for most World Number 1, year end rankings.

Pete Sampras did it 6 straight times from 1993-1998. Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal have both done it 5 times.

Djokovic will get Bora Coric who is playing well.

Down the road, Federer has the record of 310 straight days of being ranked number one. Djokovic could
pass that March 2021.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
Great season continues for Russian Andrey Rublev winning Vienna. He passes Novak Djokovic (4) with 5 titles on the year. He didn't drop serve all tourney. His 39 wins ties Djokovic on the season.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2020, 07:14:31 AM »
Paris Indoors Masters 1000. (One of 9 mandatory point heavy, ATP stops)

Daniil Medvedev over Alex Zverev in the final. Zverev had previously defeated Nadal and Wawrinka to get therr. 21-4. But Medvedev with 3 set comeback.

How difficult is it to win a Masters 1000 title where you don't get thr Slams extra days off?

Medvedev and Zverev are now two of seven active players with three, three total. The four players with more? Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2020, 07:59:04 AM »
ATP Finals, London, top 8 round robin groups:

Djokovic
Medvedev
Zverev
Schwartzman

Nadal
Thiem
Tsitsipas