[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 113150 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #550 on: June 13, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »
You're fun.

Well…eh forget it  ::)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #551 on: June 13, 2021, 10:37:44 PM »
You're fun.

I’m probably having more fun than you, yes. I enjoy all of tennis (and many other team and olympic sports) at all levels of both Women and Men, singles, doubles, mixed, instead of just one player or team or level. So yeah I have a lot of fun, probably more than most here enjoying all of that.

(I enjoy all levels of baseball and softball besides MLB. Tremendous college post seasons going on by the way. I enjoy other levels of soccer besides the top few teams and leagues in Europe. MLS college club, are great fun in local markets too. And so on)

It doesn’t make me less fun or the sport less enjoyable to point out the vast differences in circumstances in eras. And, it doesn’t make it less fun to point out that best of an era and all time greats plural of different eras, are as definitive and as far as it gets. I greatly enjoy today’s best players just as I enjoy many other eras, levels. and aspects as well:

Watching a player like Chris Eubanks win a 2nd title when he wasn’t sure if or when he would again is great fun. Watching some of his peers, including some of the World’s best players be so happy for him is fun. Watching. player such as Barbora Krejcikova win the French Open singles and doubles is pretty fun considering she suffers from crippling anxiety at times and has had to be coaxed onto court from the locker room to play before. There are a lot of great and fun things out there.

I’m the one that often posts about a variety of sports and variety of people in them, not just one player or thing. So yeah I’m probably having fun. 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:52:22 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #552 on: June 13, 2021, 10:52:51 PM »
I’m probably having more fun than you, yes. I enjoy all of tennis (and many other team and olympic sports) at all levels of both Women and Men, singles, doubles, mixed, instead of just one player or team or level. So yeah I have a lot of fun, probably more than most here enjoying all of that.

(I enjoy all levels of baseball and softball besides MLB. Tremendous college post seasons going on by the way. I enjoy other levels of soccer besides the top few teams and leagues in Europe. MLS college club, are great fun in local markets too. And so on)

It doesn’t make me less fun or the sport less enjoyable to point out the vast differences in circumstances in eras. And, it doesn’t make it less fun to point out that best of an era and all time greats plural of different eras, are as definitive and as far as it gets. I greatly enjoy today’s best players just as I enjoy many other aspects as well:

Watching a player like Chris Eubanks win a 2nd title when he wasn’t sure if or when he would again is great fun. Watching some of his peers, including some of the World’s best players be so happy for him is fun. Watching. player such as Barbora Krejcikova win the French Open singles and doubles is pretty fun considering she suffers from crippling anxiety at times and has had to be coaxed onto court from the locker room to play before. There are a lot of great and fun things out there.

I’m the one that often posts about a variety of sports and variety of people in them, not just one player or thing. So yeah I’m probably having fun.

I am certain that you have more fun watching non-major tennis tournaments and various college sports than I do, because I rarely watch them. I'm guessing that I have more fun, say, umpiring youth baseball than you do, probably because you don't do it. (Maybe you do. If so, I sit corrected.)

I have lots of fun doing stuff that has nothing to do with sports. I hope you can say the same, my friend. Be well!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #553 on: June 13, 2021, 11:36:58 PM »
I am certain that you have more fun watching non-major tennis tournaments and various college sports than I do, because I rarely watch them. I'm guessing that I have more fun, say, umpiring youth baseball than you do, probably because you don't do it. (Maybe you do. If so, I sit corrected.)

I have lots of fun doing stuff that has nothing to do with sports. I hope you can say the same, my friend. Be well!

You’re the one that made the comment. I never made a comment about whether or not you were fun or having fun in a sarcastic manner. So, I played along with your comment.

It’s the tennis thread. So I used tennis as the example in my reply. I never commented one way or another about if you were fun or having fun. That was your thing.

I’m the poster that posts the most in this thread about a wide variety of aspects of the sport. I do the same in other sports. So it was a bit “fun” for me to read your comment  considering you discuss one thing/player about the sport in much of your posts for the most part. And that’s perfectly fine by the way.

I think what you may misunderstand is that being unable to effectively compare eras doesn’t take away fun. It actually brings more fun to more players and eras. I don’t have an overwhelming need to pick just one. It isn’t possible anyway. I enjoy many of them for different reasons. It’s great fun watching current era Big 3 and others in person. But i can enjoy others too.

And sure, playing sports, (it always starts with playing first for me) coaching sports, watching sports, attending sporting events are all great fun, but it’s just one of my interests, since you asked.

I like music. But there is no one best ever band or best ever album. I enjoy a wide variety of types of music. If anything I am more partial to individuals songs more than artists than albums. I don’t have a need to declare this the best ever or be a music hater or be a music snob. I like way too many artists and genres for that. As you could imagine I am not big on award shows. We like what we like.

In addition to sports and music, books, movies, travel, art, and so on…are some of the fun hobbies I enjoy. Sports of course is the only one that is considered competitive or a competition.

I simply said you can’t effectively compare eras. I also post positively about, and enjoy Federer, Nadal, Djokovic etc…and their great careers and specifics about their individual play. Not saying this or that player is the best ever doesn’t really take away from their great careers, and it isn’t any less fun.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:42:50 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #554 on: June 14, 2021, 07:23:07 AM »
You’re the one that made the comment. I never made a comment about whether or not you were fun or having fun in a sarcastic manner. So, I played along with your comment.

It’s the tennis thread. So I used tennis as the example in my reply. I never commented one way or another about if you were fun or having fun. That was your thing.

I’m the poster that posts the most in this thread about a wide variety of aspects of the sport. I do the same in other sports. So it was a bit “fun” for me to read your comment  considering you discuss one thing/player about the sport in much of your posts for the most part. And that’s perfectly fine by the way.

I think what you may misunderstand is that being unable to effectively compare eras doesn’t take away fun. It actually brings more fun to more players and eras. I don’t have an overwhelming need to pick just one. It isn’t possible anyway. I enjoy many of them for different reasons. It’s great fun watching current era Big 3 and others in person. But i can enjoy others too.

And sure, playing sports, (it always starts with playing first for me) coaching sports, watching sports, attending sporting events are all great fun, but it’s just one of my interests, since you asked.

I like music. But there is no one best ever band or best ever album. I enjoy a wide variety of types of music. If anything I am more partial to individuals songs more than artists than albums. I don’t have a need to declare this the best ever or be a music hater or be a music snob. I like way too many artists and genres for that. As you could imagine I am not big on award shows. We like what we like.

In addition to sports and music, books, movies, travel, art, and so on…are some of the fun hobbies I enjoy. Sports of course is the only one that is considered competitive or a competition.

I simply said you can’t effectively compare eras. I also post positively about, and enjoy Federer, Nadal, Djokovic etc…and their great careers and specifics about their individual play. Not saying this or that player is the best ever doesn’t really take away from their great careers, and it isn’t any less fun.

Trying to do the impossible -- comparing eras in sports, choosing the best band or song ever, stating how Marquette would have done had anybody other than Wojo been coach, trying to reason with folks who believe a cabal of pedophile cannibals is trying to take over the country, etc etc etc -- is all part of the "fun" of interwebs sites.

I apologize if my little sarcastic comment bothered you. I truly appreciate the info you provide here on tennis. You obviously are passionate about it and knowledgeable.

Keep up the good work, take care, and keep having fun in life!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #555 on: June 14, 2021, 08:15:18 AM »
Trying to do the impossible -- comparing eras in sports, choosing the best band or song ever, stating how Marquette would have done had anybody other than Wojo been coach, trying to reason with folks who believe a cabal of pedophile cannibals is trying to take over the country, etc etc etc -- is all part of the "fun" of interwebs sites.

I apologize if my little sarcastic comment bothered you. I truly appreciate the info you provide here on tennis. You obviously are passionate about it and knowledgeable.

Keep up the good work, take care, and keep having fun in life!

Fair enough. I wanted to clear up the misconception that not comparing eras isn’t taking away any fun. It isn’t really fair to all players in all eras. I certainly enjoy and appreciate the current eras as much as anyone else. My posting is anything if consistent. It isn’t fair to cherry pick and it’s common for some elsewhere to get caught up in the moment of any sport success and say this or that is the best ever. If I post something that isn’t fair, it seems some are reading emotion into emotionless, matter of fact comments. At least it’s sports and entertainment. When discussing economy and the disingenuous nature of some of the haves (vs have nots) that don’t address things from bottom up instead of top down, that’s of course not entertainment.

There’s no question Federer, Nadal, Djokovic have (along with others) continued to elevate tennis, and, are the best players of their overlapping eras. I’m also not a singular fan of any one of them, or, a singular hater of any one of them. The reality is I don’t believe it would be fair to pick one of the three as the best of even their era. They will always be grouped together, and that’s more of a compliment than not. They are fun to watch and can make some very difficult shots look routine. Others will be remembered for other reasons, big match big tourney Stan Wawrinka. Delpo will be remembered as the most unlucky with injury despite having best in era talent.

Speaking of that, here is a pretty cool short video clip of Andy Murray (2 time Wimbledon Champ, Gold Medalist on grass) giving grass tips to up and coming Italian teen sensation Jannik Sinner.

https://twitter.com/tennistv/status/1404376935875100684?s=21

MU82

• All American
« Reply #556 on: June 14, 2021, 08:28:27 AM »
Fair enough. I wanted to clear up the misconception that not comparing eras isn’t taking away any fun. It isn’t really fair to all players in all eras. I certainly enjoy and appreciate the current eras as much as anyone else. My posting is anything if consistent. It isn’t fair to cherry pick and it’s common for some elsewhere to get caught up in the moment of any sport success and say this or that is the best ever. If I post something that isn’t fair, it seems some are reading emotion into emotionless, matter of fact comments. At least it’s sports and entertainment. When discussing economy and the disingenuous nature of some of the haves (vs have nots) that don’t address things from bottom up instead of top down, that’s of course not entertainment.

There’s no question Federer, Nadal, Djokovic have (along with others) continued to elevate tennis, and, are the best players of their overlapping eras. I’m also not a singular fan of any one of them, or, a singular hater of any one of them. The reality is I don’t believe it would be fair to pick one of the three as the best of even their era. They will always be grouped together, and that’s more of a compliment than not. They are fun to watch and can make some very difficult shots look routine. Others will be remembered for other reasons, big match big tourney Stan Wawrinka. Delpo will be remembered as the most unlucky with injury despite having best in era talent.

Speaking of that, here is a pretty cool short video clip of Andy Murray (2 time Wimbledon Champ, Gold Medalist on grass) giving grass tips to up and coming Italian teen sensation Jannik Sinner.

https://twitter.com/tennistv/status/1404376935875100684?s=21

I don't care what you say ... you're the best (and most passionate) tennis commentator Scoop has ever had, regardless of era!

Cool video. Thanks.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #557 on: June 17, 2021, 02:40:10 PM »
Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon.

Per a statement, "She is taking some personal time with friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #558 on: June 17, 2021, 09:49:03 PM »

Per a statement, "She is taking some personal time with friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans."

I feel for Osaka. Here you have a young person who has anxiety ... and she no doubt feels she has no choice but to compete for Japan in the Tokyo Olympics. I mean, no pressure at all there.

In related news (but for a different reason), Rafa also skipping Wimbledon. Skipping the Olympics, too. What a drag it is getting old!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #559 on: June 18, 2021, 08:31:17 AM »

Nadal is also sitting out Wimbledon, as well as the Olympics. The time in between the French Open and Wimbledon is condensed this year. As mentioned earlier when some questioned when Federer left The French Open, this happens. Unlike team sports, players can’t take games off, miss time, etc…and have someone else play for them. Nadal has openly said recently that he wants to save himself to train and play for big events, majors etc…something that has been the norm in modern tennis unlike other eras. And economically they can do so. Nadal has already played the Olympics 3 times, winning gold in singles and doubles once each, and he carried the flag for Spain as well. Hopefully they both find a healthy successful return.

Osaka playing the Olympics is a big topic. She has roughly 24 sponsors, (over $50 million earned off the court this past year) roughly half are Japanese based companies. Several others are Olympic sponsors, and, or, will have a large Olympic presence. 2021 Olympic Olympic Tennis will be played on hard courts, a surface Osaka strongly prefers. If she can get some match play, she is expected to do well there and be competitive with the top players, unlike The French Open and Wimbledon.

Asia is tennis $ growth geography, with a few dozen events combined amongst the tours annually throughout the year. This is especially during the October Asian Swing, and, year end finals in November, but also in the Spring.

Osaka’s success has come along at a time after Asia made a big push in the sport the previous decade, and, continues to do so. Many Asian events are among the tour’s most popular events amongst the players.

As for grass court season, several players are  trying to get in some grass court match play prior to Wimbledon. That will be limited this year. Americans Korda, Giron, Pegula, Vandeweghe, Keys, Tiafoe, are all off to good early grass starts. Spain’s Garbi Muguruza one of the best WTA players, is off to a good start but is still battling injuries. Vekic is back from injury playing well, Azarenka. FAA took out Fed in Halle. There’s still time for some to get in some grass court play before Wimbledon.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:58:23 AM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #560 on: June 18, 2021, 09:22:14 PM »
Meniscus tear for Taylor Fritz. Hopeful to be back for Wimbledon.

8 days after surgery for a torn meniscus. Taylor Fritz, not bad.

https://twitter.com/taylor_fritz97/status/1405216607404642304?s=21

https://twitter.com/taylor_fritz97/status/1405954926979608576?s=21

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2021, 03:37:12 PM »
Serena Williams (as expected) will not play the Tokyo Olympics. She has won gold and 3 doubles gold in past Olympics. First up to take her place is Jessie Pegula. The team for now would be Kenin, Brady, Gauff, Pegula. Keys and Riske are just outside of that group.

Popular tour player, and aesthetically pleasing playing style and variation, Ons Jabeur wins her first WTA Title, and, it’s on grass. Big for Tunisia and N. Africa. She is the first Arab player to do so.

Former 2017 Wimbledon Junior Champ, American Claire Liu, won her qualifying tourney to advance to Wimbledon main draw. Also, never give up. 30 year old American Danielle Lao also won her qualifying tourney to advance to her first ever Wimbledon main draw. She’s a former USC All American college player. Stanford’s Kristie Ahn joins them. In rhe Men’s draw, Virgina, UCLA, Texas A&M represented by Brandon Nakashima, Mackie McDonald, Arthur Rinderknech (France).

19 year old Anerican Katie Volynets won her qualifying tourney to advance to main draw Wimbledon.

21 American Women and 13 American Men in main draw singles. This is the most combined since 1998. (35)

Just 5 American Women in top half of draw but a whopping 15 in the bottom half.

Notables: Mixed Doubles team of Venus Williams and Nick Kyrgios. Women’s Doubles: Coco Vandeweighe and Sam Stosur. (Coco V also in singles). Anisimova and Sloane Stephens. Gauff and McNally. Ram and Salisbury playing together.

Simina Halep had to withdraw due to her previous injury. Local British player  Johanna Konta had to withdraw due to COVID-19 and close contact of someone who tested positive.

Players are required to stay at the Event Bubble Hotel with limited guests (Park Plaza, Central London) with seeded players getting suites. This is very different from the usual renting homes closer to the event site.

The courts (17 below) are ready to go.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #562 on: June 28, 2021, 11:41:58 AM »
Good start for ‘Merica at Wimbkedon.

American Frances Tiafoe takes out 3rd seeded, and recent French Open Finalist, Stef Tsitsipas,  6-4, 6-4, 6-3.

American Sloane Stephens takes out two time Wimbledon Champion and 10 seeded Petra Kvitova 6-3, 6-4. (Kvitova, in form, was one of the 2021 Wimbledon favorites)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #563 on: June 28, 2021, 07:16:38 PM »
Damn....Tiafoe took a sledgehammer to Tsitsipas.  Great job.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #564 on: June 29, 2021, 05:21:41 PM »
Tough break for Serena.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #565 on: June 30, 2021, 04:05:44 PM »
Unlucky for Serena. She is far from alone as many players have slipped and fallen on the wet grass of the rainy first few days of Wimbledon. Gauff, Stephens, Korda, many others. Possible serious injury in Federer’s match. It’s unfortunate, but it has always been a factor on grass.

On to the Rd of 32:

Sabalenka, Jabeur (over Venus), Keys, Swiatek, Ostapenko, Stephens, Pliskova.

Two good American stories come to an end. Both Kristie Ahn and Claire Liu played inbtheir first main draw Wimbledon, and both won and advanced to the Round of 64. Ahn has grinded the tour many years, former Stanford star. Liu is a former Wimbledon Junior Champion.

Several notable early exits including Americans Anisimova, Kenin, Pegula, Venus, Serena, Collins.

1st round winners: Rogers up a set on Sakkari. Coco V, and Coco G,

Men Rd of 32 notables:

Djokovic, Kudla, Tiafoe, Korda, Shapovalov.

Out: Sinner, Tsitsipas, McDonald, Opelka, Isner

Berretini, Krygios, Monfils, Fritz, Johnson, Sandgren, Federer, Querrey, Guron, Medvedev.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #566 on: July 03, 2021, 08:58:05 AM »
Coco may have the potential to win double digit slams.  She is already popping serves at 120 mph.  Her movement is superior to any other woman on tour.  Once she polishes up her 2nd serve and gets a bit more consistent I expect the floodgates to open.  It may not be for another year but she has serious game. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #567 on: July 03, 2021, 10:59:22 AM »
Terrible job by ESPN with their Wimby coverage.  You have an American in a tight 4th set with Zverv hoping to force a 5th  and they are showing  Fed's match which is 2 sets to zero.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #568 on: July 03, 2021, 11:02:21 AM »
Then they finally go to Fritz/Zverev in the 4th set tiebreaker but with a split screen?   WTF?  Ridiculous.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #569 on: July 03, 2021, 01:17:03 PM »
Then they finally go to Fritz/Zverev in the 4th set tiebreaker but with a split screen?   WTF?  Ridiculous.

For future reference, I think you can watch any match for free at watchespn.com

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #570 on: July 03, 2021, 01:57:57 PM »
Bradenton, Florida’s Sebastian Korda becomes the 8th ATP player in the past 20 years to reach the 2nd week, Round of 16, at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon. The other 7:

Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Berdych, Cilic, Hewitt, Tsitsipas.

18 year old Emma Raducanu becomes the youngest British player in the Open Era to make the Round of 16. Electric crowd for her match.

17 year old Coco Gauff advances to her 2nd straight Wimbledon Round of 16 and her 4th overall in a major. She’ll play the only remaining past Wimbledon champion, Angie Kerber. Caty McNally and Gauff look sharp in doubles, into the Round of 16 together. (took out Badosa who is still alive in singles)

Madison Keys advanced to her 3rd Wimbledon Round of 16, former Semifinalist, and her 15th overall in a major.

Sloane Stephens, Shelby Rogers, Garbi Muguruza, are out. Ons Jabeur with one of the matches of tourney taking out Muguruza.

Another match of the tourney was mixed doubles, great effort from former 5 time USC All American Sabrina Santamaria,, and Austin Krajicek (Texas A&M) but just short to Venus Williams and Nick Krygios.  Rybakina, Sabalenka, Muchova, all dominant  thus far.

After dominating the first set Krygios gets and abdominal injury and has to withdraw vs Felix Auger Aliassime.

Up and comer Roger Federer is into the Round of 16 for the 69th time in a major.

Berrettini looks sharp.

Taylor Fritz falls in 4 sets to Alex Zverev, in Round of 32, just weeks after surgery on his torn meniscus. The wonders kf modern medicine for Fritz to be able to both play and play well. Modern medicine. Modern era.

French Open Champion Barbora Krejcikova quietly advances to the Round of 16.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:16:01 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #571 on: July 03, 2021, 02:12:45 PM »
For future reference, I think you can watch any match for free at watchespn.com

You can watch all matches on the ESPN app.

ESPN has the rights to 3 of the 4 majors. (No French until after 2024). Also, on delay each day, Tennis Channel and their app also shows coverage.

ESPN carries first ball to last ball, all matches, all categories on the ESPN app. The broadcasters will be different, as much of it is the World Feed, which, at Wimbledon means lots of BBC. John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, Chanda Rubin (She’s very good) work with BBC. Some matches have zero sound/without commentators. The bigger names and matches have them. I don’t need sound. But I know others might.

ESPN and Tennis Channel both, show the biggest names and biggest matches. And sometimes those players are not necessarily American. They know Federer will get a better rating, and draw more interest than Zverev or Fritz.

This is why the ESPN app is good for watching tennis at the majors. Unfortunately, ESPN has shifted to “only” majors in their contracts.

Tennis Channel unfortunately is still poorly distributed by Sinclair, and, the Tennis Channel app/TC Plus is overpriced and a 12 month commitment. But they carry all non major events in the U.S.

Indian Wells, CA, which is the 5th largest event on tour, will be held two weeks in October this fall, having moved from its usual March spot. It will be back in March 2022 as well.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:18:15 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #572 on: July 03, 2021, 02:23:53 PM »

Taylor Fritz, just a few weeks ago having surgery for his torn meniscus:

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #573 on: July 03, 2021, 02:46:31 PM »
Taylor Fritz, just a few weeks ago having surgery for his torn meniscus:

Is he usually more mobile than he was today? Thought that was the clear difference between the two players.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #574 on: July 03, 2021, 03:03:07 PM »
Is he usually more mobile than he was today? Thought that was the clear difference between the two players.

Yes. He isn’t 100%. Pretty strong result for him that he was able to train, practice, and win a few rounds at Wimbledon this year, and, take a top level player to 4 sets, after his recent meniscus tear and surgery a few weeks ago.

feedback