[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morsell's chance at BE DPOY?  (Read 2945 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Morsell's chance at BE DPOY?
« on: January 21, 2022, 08:58:16 AM »
OK advanced stat guys and eyeball test fans alike, I know we are less than halfway through the BE conference schedule, but does Morsell have a shot at repeating his Defensive Player of the Year award, this time in a new conference? Or is Posh Alexander the favorite again?

What do the (albeit imperfect) advance defensive metrics say? If Morsell's are better, are they better enough to overcome Posh's incumbency as DPOY?

MU has only had one DPOY since joining the BE, Jerel. Would be cool to get a 2nd one.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

fjm

• All American
Re: Morsell's chance at BE DPOY?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:59:37 AM »
Paint touches did a great twitter thread this morning about how huge Morsell was against nova.

https://twitter.com/painttouches/status/1484275455628881927?s=21
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:06:24 AM by fjm »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 09:27:46 AM »
I was thinking Kur might be the BE DPOY. Averaging 2.9 blocks on the season, 3.0 in BE play.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 09:51:06 AM »
I was thinking Kur might be the BE DPOY. Averaging 2.9 blocks on the season, 3.0 in BE play.

Ike Obiagu is averaging 3.4 and 3rd in the country in block rate so I'm guessing that would beat out Kuath if they were to go with a big man.
I'd guess if it goes to a big guy it's probably between Obiagu and Sanogo.
Wing defender Darryl or.... not sure?
Posh Alexander should be disqualified since St Johns doesn't even have a top 100 defense. 8th in the conference currently. But also, they weren't top 100 last year either and he still won it so who knows.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:53:07 AM by genious expert »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 10:07:54 AM »
Ike Obiagu is averaging 3.4 and 3rd in the country in block rate so I'm guessing that would beat out Kuath if they were to go with a big man.
I'd guess if it goes to a big guy it's probably between Obiagu and Sanogo.
Wing defender Darryl or.... not sure?
Posh Alexander should be disqualified since St Johns doesn't even have a top 100 defense. 8th in the conference currently. But also, they weren't top 100 last year either and he still won it so who knows.

Obiagu is probably the front runner then.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 10:48:30 AM »
I was curious to see what some of the numbers say about Morsell and the others.
Got some numbers from EvanMiya.com

Here's his definition for the 2 stats I pulled:

DBPR: Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the defensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the defensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the offensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. A higher rating is better.

On-Off Defense Splits: How much better the team played defensively with that player on the floor, compared to without them, measured in points per 100 possessions. A positive number indicates that the team was better defensively with the player on the floor.

I took the top couple guys from each team. Most of them look normal until you get to Marquette lol

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 10:56:55 AM »
The eye test says Mr. Morsell is a very strong defender. He also creates situation were others on our team can make great defensive plays as well ( Kur blocking, Tyler sneaking in and stealing etc.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 10:58:53 AM »
Obiagu is probably the front runner then.

I agree.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 11:05:53 AM »
Was curious if Greg is a contender for sixth man of the year.  I have no idea who starts and who doesn't around the league.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 11:18:37 AM »
The Nova game was interesting. Morsell started on Gillespie, but got switched to Moore. Kolek held his own guarding Gillespie.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 11:41:50 AM »
I was curious to see what some of the numbers say about Morsell and the others.
Got some numbers from EvanMiya.com

Here's his definition for the 2 stats I pulled:

DBPR: Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the defensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the defensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the offensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. A higher rating is better.

On-Off Defense Splits: How much better the team played defensively with that player on the floor, compared to without them, measured in points per 100 possessions. A positive number indicates that the team was better defensively with the player on the floor.

I took the top couple guys from each team. Most of them look normal until you get to Marquette lol
So this site is saying that DM is a terrible defender??
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 01:11:13 PM »
Was curious if Greg is a contender for sixth man of the year.  I have no idea who starts and who doesn't around the league.

I think GE is a legit contender. Nunge from X is also a strong candidate, though I wouldn't be surprised if he moves into a starting role at some point.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 01:41:54 PM »
The Nova game was interesting. Morsell started on Gillespie, but got switched to Moore. Kolek held his own guarding Gillespie.

During the 1st half of the game the sideline reporter said that Shaka told her that he lets the players decide their defensive matchups.  It struck me as odd at the time so I went back to the game replay and it was definitely exactly what she said.

Could be that Morsell switched himself to Moore after his hot start?  I wasn't watching individual matchups that much, but Moore was pretty much held in check for most of the rest of the game.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 01:48:33 PM »
Darrell of Kur play remarkable d.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 01:50:26 PM »
During the 1st half of the game the sideline reporter said that Shaka told her that he lets the players decide their defensive matchups.  It struck me as odd at the time so I went back to the game replay and it was definitely exactly what she said.

Could be that Morsell switched himself to Moore after his hot start?  I wasn't watching individual matchups that much, but Moore was pretty much held in check for most of the rest of the game.

From watching the game and listening to Shaka's postgame, my guess is he switched Morsell to Moore and Kolek to Gillespie. He did ask the team at the end of the game if Morsell should go back on Gillespie for the final possession and Darryl said "no, Tyler's got him."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 01:57:40 PM »
Morsell leads the BE in Pudner's Defensive Value Add over Posh.

https://www.valueaddbasketball.com/

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 02:53:51 PM »
Morsell leads the BE in Pudner's Defensive Value Add over Posh.

https://www.valueaddbasketball.com/

He actually has them #1 and #2 in the nation, not just the BE. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 03:32:10 PM »
He actually has them #1 and #2 in the nation, not just the BE. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

Haha. True. I filtered and sorted by conference first. Awesome!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 04:25:28 PM »

After Moore had 3 baskets in the 1st couple minutes, it was obvious that O-Max couldn't guard him. Great quick move by Shaka to switch Morsel to Gillespie.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 05:58:40 PM »

Oh wow. That's nuts. Also, thanks Doc for linking this. I've been trying to figure that out for a bit, so this was super helpful.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 07:42:24 PM »
So this site is saying that DM is a terrible defender??

The NET people must be running that site.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 08:23:14 PM »
The NET people must be running that site.
Or maybe genious has it backwards, and a low score is better for defensive rating. Would make a lot more sense that way.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 12:13:37 AM »
Or maybe genious has it backwards, and a low score is better for defensive rating. Would make a lot more sense that way.

I posted the definitions from the site in my post. The last sentence says that a higher score is better.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 10:57:38 AM »
I posted the definitions from the site in my post. The last sentence says that a higher score is better.
Understood. Perhaps the person is exlaining his rating system badly then. Either that or he has no idea what he is doing and he just fills in the numbers randomly.