collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone do I.F.?  (Read 9259 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Anyone do I.F.?
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2020, 04:26:59 PM »
spiking blood sugar isn't inherently bad.  Your body uses sugar for fuel.  The problem comes in when we knock down a bottle of soda, a bag of potato chips, and some twizzlers.  Just ask Wilford Brimley... oh wait, we can't.  He gowne.

Some athletes/workout people actually recommend it post-strenuous lifting. I had a friend who was a college athlete who had a S&C coach who would have them drink sugary juice/sports drink and eat some simple carbs right after a workout to spike blood sugar and insulin to stimulate muscle growth. Seems wild but the results my friend got, after already being built and plenty muscular, was impressive

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2020, 04:49:25 PM »
I kinda meant it as a means of comparing one type of fruit to another.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2020, 06:49:45 PM »
Some athletes/workout people actually recommend it post-strenuous lifting. I had a friend who was a college athlete who had a S&C coach who would have them drink sugary juice/sports drink and eat some simple carbs right after a workout to spike blood sugar and insulin to stimulate muscle growth. Seems wild but the results my friend got, after already being built and plenty muscular, was impressive

I am big on the post-workout glass of chocolate milk.  Protein, carbs, and water.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2020, 06:54:15 PM »
Scoop iz big on fruits and nuts, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2020, 07:46:38 PM »
Scoop iz big on fruits and nuts, aina?

I laughed

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2020, 09:03:12 AM »
The first placebo-controlled study on intermittent fasting - by a researcher who did I.F. and wanted to show it works - suggests it doesn't.

Intermittent fasting doesn’t help you lose weight, UCSF study suggests

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/28/intermittent-fasting-doesnt-help-weight-loss-ucsf-study.html

The study found “no evidence” that time-restricted eating works as a weight loss strategy.

People who were assigned to eat at random times within a strict eight-hour window each day, skipping food in the morning, lost an average of around 2 pounds over a 12 week-period. Subjects who ate at normal meal times, with snacks permitted, lost 1.5 pounds. The difference was not “statistically significant,” according to the research team at UCSF.

“I went into this hoping to demonstrate that this thing I’ve been doing for years works,” he said by phone. “But as soon as I saw the data, I stopped.”

---------------

More research needed, as suggested in the article. But my skepticism remains.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2020, 09:23:06 AM »
The first placebo-controlled study on intermittent fasting - by a researcher who did I.F. and wanted to show it works - suggests it doesn't.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/28/intermittent-fasting-doesnt-help-weight-loss-ucsf-study.html

The study found “no evidence” that time-restricted eating works as a weight loss strategy.

People who were assigned to eat at random times within a strict eight-hour window each day, skipping food in the morning, lost an average of around 2 pounds over a 12 week-period. Subjects who ate at normal meal times, with snacks permitted, lost 1.5 pounds. The difference was not “statistically significant,” according to the research team at UCSF.

“I went into this hoping to demonstrate that this thing I’ve been doing for years works,” he said by phone. “But as soon as I saw the data, I stopped.”

---------------

Now the natural followup study is narrowing the feeding window. 20:4? I feel like the most praise-singing IF folks are one meal a day people and the 16:8 that was tested is almost nothing at all. That's skipping breakfast and not eating dinner that late (Lunch @ noon, dinner by 8).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »

---------------

I would like to see it in conjunction with a low carb or up to keto diet
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2020, 11:00:56 AM »
I would like to see it in conjunction with a low carb or up to keto diet

Fasting or not, cut carbs in half and the pounds will fall off your body.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »

100% agree I'm just curious because every podcast I've listened to recommends IF with at least a low carb diet. So I'm curious if the IF has a measured effect or if it is the lack of carbs.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2020, 12:30:05 PM »

Disagree if you fill those carb calories with other calories.

Weight loss = calories in and calories out

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2020, 01:11:17 PM »

Weight loss = calories in and calories out

Too simplistic. Not the total picture.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2020, 08:03:05 PM »
Too simplistic. Not the total picture.

It is absolutely simplistic. And it is absolutely the truth.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2020, 09:20:24 PM »
These diets are so complicated, and the 'in' thing changes so frequently.

I find it easier just to eat plenty of fruits, veggies and other unprocessed foods, ride my bike most days, and go for walks when I can. No need to keep checking the interwebs to make sure that's still good for me.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2020, 07:36:12 AM »
Grain free y'all. Simple to follow and it works, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2020, 07:55:28 AM »
These diets are so complicated, and the 'in' thing changes so frequently.

I find it easier just to eat plenty of fruits, veggies and other unprocessed foods, ride my bike most days, and go for walks when I can. No need to keep checking the interwebs to make sure that's still good for me.

Eat less, do more.

And cut carbs.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2020, 07:59:22 AM »

Eat less, do more.

And cut carbs.

That works.

Or eat less, stay active every day, and keep eating carbs. That works for me.

One other point: If you are cutting carbs, the only ones to really worry about are added sugars. You need not worry about carbs that naturally occur in foods.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 08:02:37 AM by GooooMarquette »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2020, 08:04:16 AM »
It is absolutely simplistic. And it is absolutely the truth.

Agree. Life style changes (more exercise, smaller portions, less or no booze) work because you burn more than you consume and are sustainable for the long run.

Silver bullet fads come and go but usually result in yoyoing when people fall off of whatever new wagon they’ve hitched their hopes to.

Simple (fewer calories in, more working out to burn them) is hard. And gradual. Most things worthwhile and that work are. But most people don’t/can’t do “hard” very well.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 08:06:41 AM by Lennys Tap »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2020, 08:17:02 AM »

That works.

Or eat less, stay active every day, and keep eating carbs. That works for me.

One other point: If you are cutting carbs, the only ones to really worry about are added sugars. You need not worry about carbs that naturally occur in foods.

There's a lot of research that suggest eating high fructose foods is processed no differently than eating straight candy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2020, 08:33:22 AM »
There's a lot of research that suggest eating high fructose foods is processed no differently than eating straight candy.

Eh...

Fructose is processed through the liver. Glucose is not.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »
Eat less, do more.

And cut carbs.

Why?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2020, 08:34:16 AM »
Grain free y'all. Simple to follow and it works, hey?

Why?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2020, 08:51:47 AM »

And as I said, if you want to cut carbs, the carbs to be concerned about are added sugars. Both are added sugars.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »
Eh...

Fructose is processed through the liver. Glucose is not.

Wanna get really nerdy?

https://peterattiamd.com/rickjohnson/

It's like a 2 hour podcast with a doctor who is militant about how the stress placed on the liver by breaking fructose down is linked to a lot of health problems (high blood pressure, NAFLD) beyond just weight gain.

One of the takeaways that I got from it was that fructose in the presence of a mixture of soluble and insoluble fiber (e.g. eating a whole piece of fruit or berries) allows some of the fructose to avoid absorption in the bloodstream and passage to the liver for processing because the fiber allows it to pass into the gut where gut flora do the breaking down of the fructose. In a sense, it differentiates between liquid sugars (soda, juice), high fructose corn syrup-added sugars (candy), and eating an apple.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2020, 09:18:33 AM »
Why?

If you are loading up on carbs, then you burn carbs. You want to burn fat instead.