[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone do I.F.?  (Read 9256 times)

vogue65

• All American
Anyone do I.F.?
« on: August 16, 2020, 04:09:03 PM »
Where have I been?
Found it in Golf Magazine, even my nurse practitioner knew all about it.
I expect you guys to help keep me current, show a little respect.

I.F. is Intermitant Fasting and it really works.

I eat from 10:30 A.M to 6:30 in the evening, then fast from 6:30 @ night until 10:30 in the morning.
No problem.
Eat whatever I want for 8 hours and then sleep it off.

I've gone from 250 as a bartender on Wisconsin Ave. to 160 in the Marines and back and forth over the years.  I've done W.W., O.A., Atkins, you name it.

The theory is the food, sugar in the gut is metabolized in 6 hours, then the body burns fat for 10 hours (fasting).  It couldn't be easier.

🏀

• All American
Re: Anyone do I.F.?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 04:13:59 PM »
Yeah, it works if you don’t have a work social life. Lunches, golf outings etc.

If I was grinding in an office, I’d be one meal a day with Grizzly as a supplement.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
I tried it for about a couple months .. Noon-7pm .. which basically equates to "skip breakfast and don't snack at night."

Skipping breakfast was semi-ok.  I'd be hungry for 45 minutes and it would pass.

But the results .. I might have lost 0-3 pounds.  I hover in a 5 pound range, so losing 3 isn't real.   

Then COVID kicked in and I decided I really like a bowl of Cap'n Crunchberries in the morning so I quit.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »
I do it as much for limiting calories as anything.

I haven't seen the weight loss benefits, but it does stop me from gaining weight.

I'm a noon-8pm. I've done 20 hour IF as well as doing multi-day fasts. Noon-8 seems to be the most tolerable for me.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »
Yeah, it works if you don’t have a work social life. Lunches, golf outings etc.

If I was grinding in an office, I’d be one meal a day with Grizzly as a supplement.

What is "Grizzly"?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 11:42:56 PM »
I tried it for about a couple months .. Noon-7pm .. which basically equates to "skip breakfast and don't snack at night."

Skipping breakfast was semi-ok.  I'd be hungry for 45 minutes and it would pass.

But the results .. I might have lost 0-3 pounds.  I hover in a 5 pound range, so losing 3 isn't real.   

Then COVID kicked in and I decided I really like a bowl of Cap'n Crunchberries in the morning so I quit.

Did you feel crunchatized?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 07:10:21 AM »
I kinda think any diet that requires you to not eat when you’re hungry is doomed to fail.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 08:57:24 AM »
I do it 8on 12:30-8:30 16 off. I found its very manageable on a low carb diet. If I have snuck in anything sugary, had a few beers, or forgot ate something breaded it's painfully hard to do.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 09:01:48 AM »
I kinda think any diet that requires you to not eat when you’re hungry is doomed to fail.

Yep. I fast between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, dinner and my evening snack, and my evening snack and breakfast. It works fine because I get plenty of exercise and eat (mostly) healthy foods.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 10:27:17 AM »
On June 1, I decided I wanted to lose about 15 pounds.

Ate a healthy breakfast every day. Most common was banana, apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter, but also often had other fruit. Occasionally an egg with cheese on an English muffin.

Healthy lunch around 1 pm daily, usually either a salad or a sammich, but sometimes something like hummus and veggies.

If hungry mid-morning or mid-afternoon, very light snack, usually fruit and/or a few almonds.

Dinner with my wife. No real restrictions, though usually followed guidelines for what a "serving" of something was. Never had seconds (which was fine because I usually was full). Several times a week we'd have a big salad (usually on days when I did not have salad for lunch) topped with grilled chicken, grilled pork loin, bean burger, or some other protein.

Only 3 real "rules":

1. Drink lots of water. 2. No eating after 8 pm. 3. Very few salty snacks or sweets (none at all most days).

Also generally limited beer consumption to 2 times per week, with only 2-3 beers each time, and no gobbling down salty snacks while I drank (as I too often have done).

Main exercise: brisk daily walk.

Ended up losing 17 pounds in just under 2 months. All the pants fit now and I feel better. It was pretty easy, as it usually is when I put my mind to it and don't get "lazy" by eating a bunch of crud.

Good luck to all trying to keep themselves healthy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 12:13:54 PM »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 08:17:34 PM »
Simple formula for good health and weight:

No sugar, no flour, no snacks.

Sugar is wreaks havoc on our body.  If you can do one nutritional modification, eliminate sugars.  Many think smoothies are healthy, yet when fruit is blended/pureed it loses much of its nutritional value and spikes blood sugar.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 09:48:43 PM »
Simple formula for good health and weight:

No sugar, no flour, no snacks.

Sugar is wreaks havoc on our body.  If you can do one nutritional modification, eliminate sugars.  Many think smoothies are healthy, yet when fruit is blended/pureed it loses much of its nutritional value and spikes blood sugar.

These 2 things are not necessarily related.

Weight is all about calories in/calories out.

Health is far different/more complicated.

You can eat only flour/sugar/snacks and be at a perfectly healthy weight.

Also, it would be nearly impossible to completely eliminate sugar from a human diet and maintain good health.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 10:32:27 PM »
Grain free, aina?

Dr. Jason Fang wrote a great book about IF, medical but in people terms.  It's great for Type 2 diabetics and other weight related issues.

I was literally going to start IF the first week of the covid shutdown, but being cooped up quickly turned into intermittent bourbon.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 10:58:54 PM »
Grain free, aina?

Dr. Jason Fang wrote a great book about IF, medical but in people terms.  It's great for Type 2 diabetics and other weight related issues.

I was literally going to start IF the first week of the covid shutdown, but being cooped up quickly turned into intermittent bourbon.

Fung is just okay. A little too "one track" for me.

Hormones matter. Calories matter. Macronutrients matter.

Also, stevia is fine.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 04:15:53 AM »
Refined carbs/sugar seemed to be killers for weight loss. 

Anyone try flour made from ancient grains?

https://sunriseflourmill.com/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 07:24:39 AM »
Remember that diet candy from the '70s, "Ayds"?

Unfortunately named, given what was to transpire medically in the '80s.

It was a scam anyway, as most quick-fix diet things are.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 08:12:44 AM »
Are you planning to do I.F. the rest of your life?

The best diets are the ones that train you to eat the way you should be eating all the time.  Otherwise, you are likely to revert to your old habits after the diet is over and gain it all back.

WW is a good example.  It is also endorsed by many nutritionists.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 08:21:23 AM »

The best diets are the ones that train you to eat the way you should be eating all the time.  Otherwise, you are likely to revert to your old habits after the diet is over and gain it all back.

Also the Mediterranean diet. Olive oil; most protein from fish, with modest amounts of red meats; lots of legumes, fruits and veggies; unrefined cereals and grains. This is pretty close to my current diet (the two exceptions being that I eat more dairy and sugar than recommended).

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 08:52:18 AM »

Yes.

There is strong evidence to suggest IF/time restricted feeding is the way we should be eating.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 09:10:15 AM »
Yes.

There is strong evidence to suggest IF/time restricted feeding is the way we should be eating.

Just curious - do you combine the time restricted eating with a Mediterranean diet? Because there is strong evidence to suggest that the MD improves health significantly as well.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 09:29:16 AM »
Yes.

Two weeks in and I find the major benefit is that I'm sleeping when hungery.
I was a grazer because when I got hungery I ate.
Now my only feeling of hunger is for a few hours in the morning when my will power as its best.
I like the wording and concept of "time restricted feeding".  Thank you.
My life has been counting calories and carb. restrictions with a good dose of guilt.
Now with only 8 hours of eating every day I have to make every meal count. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 09:56:01 AM »
Just curious - do you combine the time restricted eating with a Mediterranean diet? Because there is strong evidence to suggest that the MD improves health significantly as well.

I personally do not.

As I said above, I primarily use IF/TRF as a way to control calorie intake (weight management). Any "health" benefits are secondary for me.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 07:34:31 AM »
People who bemoan grains and sugar as the devil probably overindulge... and that is their true problem.  Our society has a sugar addiction, and it shows.

But there are sugars and there are sugars.  Added sugars and simple sugars are not good for you.  Skipping fruit because they have sugar in them?  Stupidity.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 08:33:26 AM »
People who bemoan grains and sugar as the devil probably overindulge... and that is their true problem.  Our society has a sugar addiction, and it shows.

But there are sugars and there are sugars.  Added sugars and simple sugars are not good for you.  Skipping fruit because they have sugar in them?  Stupidity.

For what it's worth, there are at least some researchers who point to fructose (i.e. the sugar in fruit) as being uniquely harmful.

https://peterattiamd.com/rickjohnson/

Though, to your point, a clear distinction is made between fructose + fiber (e.g. eating a whole piece of fruit) vs fructose with no fiber (e.g. drinking a high fructose corn syrup sweetened beverage, like a Coke).

Not a scientist/doctor and can't comment on the veracity of this podcast, but it's interesting to think about and passes the smell test, so it could be plausible.