[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Officially Cancels Fall Sports  (Read 8863 times)

Tha Hound

• All American

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Big East Officially Cancels Fall Sports
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:15:16 PM »
I assume this means no non-con schedule.

At most 18 conference games and then into the conference tournament
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »

Not necessarily. Basketball is a winter sport.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 06:32:44 PM »

20 conference games this year.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 07:39:19 PM »
It was  stated that it doesn't affect mens or women's BB ! ! !  8-)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 07:57:19 PM »
Bubble under consideration:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2020/08/12/the-big-east-is-among-multiple-leagues-considering-bubbles-for-basketball-season-img-omaha-in-mix/#117ff1e233c2

For non-conference games, why not do regional MTE's in a bubble?  Have a bubble with regional teams and play 3 games as a round robin. MU could play Loyola, GB, Milwaukee, Madison, UIC, many teams that don't have to fly to Milwaukee.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 08:02:19 PM »
Y'all are delusional. Ain't gonna bee no hoops seesun, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 08:03:01 PM »
Bubble under consideration:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2020/08/12/the-big-east-is-among-multiple-leagues-considering-bubbles-for-basketball-season-img-omaha-in-mix/#117ff1e233c2

For non-conference games, why not do regional MTE's in a bubble?  Have a bubble with regional teams and play 3 games as a round robin. MU could play Loyola, GB, Milwaukee, Madison, UIC, many teams that don't have to fly to Milwaukee.

The conference season is #1 priority given the $$$ involved.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 08:34:53 PM »

I was told corona would magically disappear, so I’m confident
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 08:45:22 PM »
Probably not.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 11:40:45 AM »

This will be over before Chirstmas.

1. There will be an "October Surprise" annoucment of approval of one of the vaccines currently in Phase 3 trials.

2. Since the federal Governement has already funded production ahead of the completion of trials, there is no delay for a "production ramp". That means there will be hundereds of millions of doses of an approved vacciene available the day approval is announced. 

3. Because of their migrant communites and communal living arragements, colleges will get priority. The last thing anybody wants is a bunch of college students going home over the Thanksgiving or Chirstmas break and spreading the virus, then brining it back to campus.  So colleges will be high-priority.

4. College athletics will be able to procede without bubbles probably by Christmas

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 11:56:25 AM »

1. There will be an "October Surprise" annoucment of approval of one of the vaccines currently in Phase 3 trials.

2. Since the federal Governement has already funded production ahead of the completion of trials, there is no delay for a "production ramp". That means there will be hundereds of millions of doses of an approved vacciene available the day approval is announced. 

3. Because of their migrant communites and communal living arragements, colleges will get priority. The last thing anybody wants is a bunch of college students going home over the Thanksgiving or Chirstmas break and spreading the virus, then brining it back to campus.  So colleges will be high-priority.

4. College athletics will be able to procede without bubbles probably by Christmas

Just like it was going to be over by Easter. Then by warm weather. Then in time for full football stadiums. Now October I guess.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »
Its not going away. Learn to live with it, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 12:03:09 PM »
Just like it was going to be over by Easter. Then by warm weather. Then in time for full football stadiums. Now October I guess.

Full churches by Easter I hear. Like a miracle, it will be gone.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 12:28:39 PM »

I would love for you to be right, but, you aren't. Here's why.

1. Vaccines currently in phase 3 are still enrolling participants for the trial. That will continue until late September. There are then two doses that need to be administered a week or two apart, and then there is the time needed to monitor the participants over several months. There is no way it will be complete in October. MAYBE late December at the earliest.

2. Maybe. But how will these be distributed? None of this has been figured out yet.

3. It would make sense to give colleges priority, but has anyone actually formally announced this? I think you're making an assumption. Someone needs to pay for the vaccines. Are all universities going to foot the bill for all of their students, faculty and staff? What if some universities, say Liberty University, refuse to mandate it?

4. No way that is possible
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:37:09 PM by Coleman »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2020, 12:35:20 PM »
One thing I will agree with some of y'all on are the assinine and extreme measures that were/are taken in the "fight" against Covid-19. The goal should never have been to protect everyone from contracting the disease. It was doomed to fail and did not work. The economic fallout, loss of jobs and businesses, and mental anguish, will be felt for decades going forward. Rather, we should have concentrated on providing proper and enough PPE for healthcare works to safely do their jobs and take care of the sick. Unfortunately, the entire pandemic quickly became, and still is, political.
Speaking as one who spends everyday living 6 inches from people's grills, here's my advice. First, properly wear a serviceable mask. Not the latest fashion wear and it should be somewhat uncomfortable. Secondly, throughly wash your hands frequently with soap and water or carry and use hand sanitizer that is at least 60% ethyl alcohol. Thirdly, refrain from as many indoor gatherings as possible. Yes, this means bars and restaurants. Finally, don't wait for the magical vaccine. It may never effectively come. Learn to live with the virus being ever-present and make prudent choices without driving yourself and those important to you, completely crazy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 12:38:09 PM »
One thing I will agree with some of y'all on are the assinine and extreme measures that were/are taken in the "fight" against Covid-19. The goal should never have been to protect everyone from contracting the disease. It was doomed to fail and did not work. The economic fallout, loss of jobs and businesses, and mental anguish, will be felt for decades going forward. Rather, we should have concentrated on providing proper and enough PPE for healthcare works to safely do their jobs and take care of the sick. Unfortunately, the entire pandemic quickly became, and still is, political.
Speaking as one who spends everyday living 6 inches from people's grills, here's my advice. First, properly wear a serviceable mask. Not the latest fashion wear and it should be somewhat uncomfortable. Secondly, throughly wash your hands frequently with soap and water or carry and use hand sanitizer that is at least 60% ethyl alcohol. Thirdly, refrain from as many indoor gatherings as possible. Yes, this means bars and restaurants. Finally, don't wait for the magical vaccine. It may never effectively come. Learn to live with the virus being ever-present and make prudent choices without driving yourself and those important to you, completely crazy, hey?

Well said.

What did you do with the real 4ever?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »

Sounds quite logical to me.  Question though, would the American society have accepted this and followed through on those recommendations?  I have my doubts and that’s unfortunate
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »
He's here. Its just some things are more important and serious than others, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
Sounds quite logical to me.  Question though, would the American society have accepted this and followed through on those recommendations?  I have my doubts and that’s unfortunate

People are sheep and are only comfortable following. Some look to government to show them the way. Others, think for themselves and make a left turn when those around them are turning right, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2020, 01:08:58 PM »
Only 42% Would Get Vaccinated Against COVID
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200806/only-42-percent-would-get-vaccinated-against-covid
Only 42% of Americans questioned in a new poll say they’d get vaccinated for the coronavirus when and if a vaccine is made available.

The Yahoo News/YouGov poll was conducted July 28-30 among 1,506 adults and provided the lowest percentage of “yes” answers since the poll started asking this question: “If and when a coronavirus vaccine becomes available, will you get vaccinated?”

Only a coin-toss it works for you.

Fauci warns COVID-19 vaccine may be only partially effective, public health measures still needed
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-fauci-vaccine/fauci-warns-covid-19-vaccine-may-be-only-partially-effective-public-health-measures-still-needed-idUSKCN2532YX
An approved coronavirus vaccine could end up being effective only 50-60% of the time, meaning public health measures will still be needed to keep the pandemic under control, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious diseases expert, said on Friday.
“We don’t know yet what the efficacy might be. We don’t know if it will be 50% or 60%. I’d like it to be 75% or more,” Fauci said in a webinar hosted by Brown University. “But the chances of it being 98% effective is not great, which means you must never abandon the public health approach.”

("public health approach" means after the vaccines start, we still have a year of wearing masks, social distancing and no large gatherings.  Nothing changes until the end of 2021)

----

The real delusion is hoping for a "medical bailout" to make this magically go away.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:10:52 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »
Only 42% Would Get Vaccinated Against COVID
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200806/only-42-percent-would-get-vaccinated-against-covid
Only 42% of Americans questioned in a new poll say they’d get vaccinated for the coronavirus when and if a vaccine is made available.

The Yahoo News/YouGov poll was conducted July 28-30 among 1,506 adults and provided the lowest percentage of “yes” answers since the poll started asking this question: “If and when a coronavirus vaccine becomes available, will you get vaccinated?”

Only a coin-toss it works for you.

Fauci warns COVID-19 vaccine may be only partially effective, public health measures still needed
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-fauci-vaccine/fauci-warns-covid-19-vaccine-may-be-only-partially-effective-public-health-measures-still-needed-idUSKCN2532YX
An approved coronavirus vaccine could end up being effective only 50-60% of the time, meaning public health measures will still be needed to keep the pandemic under control, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious diseases expert, said on Friday.
“We don’t know yet what the efficacy might be. We don’t know if it will be 50% or 60%. I’d like it to be 75% or more,” Fauci said in a webinar hosted by Brown University. “But the chances of it being 98% effective is not great, which means you must never abandon the public health approach.”

("public health approach" means after the vaccines start, we still have a year of wearing masks, social distancing and no large gatherings.  Nothing changes until the end of 2021)

----

The real delusion is hoping for a "medical bailout" to make this magically go away.

Dumb question but....

Let's say we end up with 4 or 5 viable vaccines, each with efficacy of 50-60%.

Would someone be able to take multiple vaccines, and if so, would that drive total efficacy percentages up? 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »
Dumb question but....

Let's say we end up with 4 or 5 viable vaccines, each with efficacy of 50-60%.

Would someone be able to take multiple vaccines, and if so, would that drive total efficacy percentages up?
I think this a great question. I don't know the answer, but a very thoughtful question.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »

Eye em totally wit ya on dis, hey?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »

You might want to understand the situation. Pfizer, for example, said it will have 100 million doses available by year end. It is a two dose treatment. That is 50 million people....worldwide. It is a co-venture with a German biotech company so no, all the doses will not be earmarked for the USA. That is one example. Moderna the same thing. Distribution will take months at best. College students will not be a priority. How about first responders, hospital staff and elderly?

It is laughable to think you could go to your local doctor in November a get a vaccine. Keep dreaming. This will not be over by December, unless you watch Fox. In that case , this is all a hoax.

feedback