[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Bubble?  (Read 13643 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Big East Bubble?
« on: August 06, 2020, 10:54:38 AM »
Being considered per Goodman:

The Big East and Big Ten are two conferences that have discussed using a bubble for basketball this season, per sources. However, it’s just one of multiple options that has been discussed.

Wonder what location would be utilized.  If no fans, they probably want to use a gym that a school owns/wouldn't have to rent?  Or maybe the would to create more spacing for entry/testing.  Have a difficult time envisioning the BE renting MSG for several months without fans. 

And that doesn't even cover the conversation regarding the student-athletes and coaches.

asdfasdf

• Starter
Re: Big East Bubble?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »
I wonder if it would be possible for multiple conferences to use the same bubble.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 11:16:24 AM »
I think this is the only feasible way to move forward with a season for this year, especially with the bubble success in NBA, NHL, MLS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 11:16:46 AM »
I still think conference-only will make the selection process a nightmare. How do you compare across conferences without a metric like the NET? That sort of metric is useless if there's no non-con play.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 11:18:16 AM »
I wonder if it would be possible for multiple conferences to use the same bubble.
Big East v. ACC challenge? That would be fun. Any team that could go .500 versus an all BE & ACC slate would be a hell of a team.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 12:14:38 PM »
Being considered per Goodman:

The Big East and Big Ten are two conferences that have discussed using a bubble for basketball this season, per sources. However, it’s just one of multiple options that has been discussed.

Wonder what location would be utilized.  If no fans, they probably want to use a gym that a school owns/wouldn't have to rent?  Or maybe the would to create more spacing for entry/testing.  Have a difficult time envisioning the BE renting MSG for several months without fans. 

And that doesn't even cover the conversation regarding the student-athletes and coaches.

LOL at zero mention as to how these students go to school.

Also, if universities insist on in-person classes to collect room and board revenue for their everyday students but then allow student-athletes to participate in a bubble with 100% online classes, it would be the height of hypocrisy, completely about money.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
I still think conference-only will make the selection process a nightmare. How do you compare across conferences without a metric like the NET? That sort of metric is useless if there's no non-con play.
If there is no NC play, so be it.  The NCAA would then have to select teams arbitrarily.  Just what it would be.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 12:27:31 PM »

Also, if universities insist on in-person classes to collect room and board revenue for their everyday students but then allow student-athletes to participate in a bubble with 100% online classes, it would be the height of hypocrisy, completely about money.

The conferences don’t care about the classroom
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 12:32:46 PM »

Well, classes for most students will be ending after Thanksgiving and will likely not start up again until February.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 12:40:26 PM »

Well, classes for most students will be ending after Thanksgiving and will likely not start up again until February.

Fair point. If the season could be condensed into that time, it could work.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »
Big East v. ACC challenge? That would be fun. Any team that could go .500 versus an all BE & ACC slate would be a hell of a team.
Another year - another reason to be happy with a .500 record.  Admin really did a number on your expectations.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 01:29:18 PM »
This idea is great, and the perfect spot is Wintrust, it almost makes too much sense.

Benefits of Wintrust:
-Marriott Marquis literally connected to the arena
-McCormick Place utilized for practices
-Teams that can bus in: MU, DePaul, NW, UW, Illinois, IU, Purdue, Butler, Iowa, Maybe on XU, MSU, UM, OSU, Minny

There isn't a better spot for this idea.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 01:37:46 PM »
This idea is great, and the perfect spot is Wintrust, it almost makes too much sense.

Benefits of Wintrust:
-Teams that can bus in: MU, DePaul, NW, UW, Illinois, IU, Purdue, Butler, Iowa, Maybe on XU, MSU, UM, OSU, Minny

I would think it would make most sense to play at multiple locations as well.  So you could bus over to Northwestern or UIC or whatever on game day.  I'd think you'd want multiple games going on at the same time so everyone can play every other day or something.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »
Another year - another reason to be happy with a .500 record.  Admin really did a number on your expectations.
First, I've said before this could & should be Wojo's final year. What he has accomplished has not met my expectations.

Second, if MU could get to .500 against an all BE & ACC schedule, they would be a very good team deserving of an NCAA bid.

Nova, CU, Duke, UNC, Virginia would all expect better than .500 but it would be a grind for everyone else.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 02:09:04 PM »
I would think it would make most sense to play at multiple locations as well.  So you could bus over to Northwestern or UIC or whatever on game day.  I'd think you'd want multiple games going on at the same time so everyone can play every other day or something.

I was thinking that too. If you played at Wintrust, let's say first game of the day is at 10:30am. I'll go with 2 and a half hours between games, so the next games are 1pm, 3:30pm, 6pm, 8:30pm, so there'd be 5 games per day, 10 teams playing each day at Wintrust, but with 25 teams, you would probably need one additional arena. UIC probably makes the most sense from a pure location standpoint. Northwestern and AllState are too far, I doubt that Reinsdorf/Wirtz would open up the UC for something like this.

I agree with you though, they could use UIC/Loyola/UC/Northwestern/AllState/Sears Center (the two latter one's if they only had to). Heck, they could use Moody Bible if they really wanted to.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »

I think this is an excellent thread to try to start yet another Nojo vs Projo debate. We don't have quite enough of them on Scoop.

As for the actual topic ...

It's not easy for me to envision this succeeding, but I haven't heard any better ideas so I'll keep an open mind. And if it happens, I'll obviously enjoy watching the games.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »

Benefits of Wintrust:

Not to mention McPier is desperate for cash after losing all of those conventions. I'm sure they'd cut a nice deal. Great idea Dish.

Would women's teams be included in the bubble?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »
I was thinking that too. If you played at Wintrust, let's say first game of the day is at 10:30am. I'll go with 2 and a half hours between games, so the next games are 1pm, 3:30pm, 6pm, 8:30pm, so there'd be 5 games per day, 10 teams playing each day at Wintrust, but with 25 teams, you would probably need one additional arena. UIC probably makes the most sense from a pure location standpoint. Northwestern and AllState are too far, I doubt that Reinsdorf/Wirtz would open up the UC for something like this.

I agree with you though, they could use UIC/Loyola/UC/Northwestern/AllState/Sears Center (the two latter one's if they only had to). Heck, they could use Moody Bible if they really wanted to.

If you could play 5 games in a day, would you really need another location? Its not like teams would be playing every single day. Probably 1-2 days off between games, at a minimum. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 02:34:36 PM »

That sort of defeats the purpose of the bubble.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 02:49:19 PM »

Benefits of Wintrust:

I really doubt that we’ll see bubbles with teams from more than one conference. What would happen to UConn and Rutgers while their conference mates are playing in Chicago?  Having 2 or more conferences involved multiples the coordination complications, as well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »

Not really. All universities are at least offering the option of being 100% online. They are also offering in-person classes (as at least a hybrid model) for two reasons. 1) Revenue. 2) Students want the option of being in person.

What would essentially happen in these cases, is that athletes would transition to the online aspect of a hybrid class while in the bubble, no different than a student is quarantined because of possible exposure.

So it is not hypocrisy at all, provided they give athletes the option of participating or not.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 03:03:33 PM »
I really doubt that we’ll see bubbles with teams from more than one conference. What would happen to UConn and Rutgers while their conference mates are playing in Chicago?  Having 2 or more conferences involved multiples the coordination complications, as well.

I still think it's necessary unless we are looking at a massive tournament. There are two ways it could work. Regionally you could have Marquette, Minnesota, Green Bay, Northern Illinois, Iowa State, Valparaiso, North Dakota, Eastern Illinois form a bubble, everyone gets tested rigorously going in, quarantine for a week, then play a round robin over 13 days so all 8 teams get 7 non-con games. Alternately, they could create it around the multi-team events, so Marquette could be grouped with UCF, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Albany, Lehigh, Long Island, and Quinnipiac and play the same round-robin format. If a team has to withdraw, so be it, everyone else gets one less game.

This would at least create a basis for NET to operate while completing non-con play in 3 weeks with everyone getting 6-7 games. And as everyone would be coming from a bubble that included testing (paid for by the universities involved along with the sponsors of the MTEs) they would be more secure going into a conference bubble directly from that with the rest of December and January to run through abbreviated conference schedules.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 03:23:36 PM »
Not to mention McPier is desperate for cash after losing all of those conventions. I'm sure they'd cut a nice deal. Great idea Dish.

I thought about that too about the women, I don't have a good answer, and there's a catch to why I don't. I don't think that they want the men and women in the same bubble, if you catch my drift. I don't know if that went into the NBA's thinking with the WNBA, but I don't think it's a coincidence they're in different bubbles.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 03:40:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure Title IX would require it

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 03:53:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure Title IX would require it

They wouldn't require they are in the same bubble.