[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 1968 MU basketball player boycott  (Read 8671 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: 1968 MU basketball player boycott
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2020, 08:32:45 AM »
Yeah!  Marquette leading again in being the difference.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2020, 10:31:17 AM »

"George came into my office," recalled [Hank] Raymonds. "Al was not in town at the time. I asked him, 'What do you want to do, George?' So, I sent him to Father [Raymond] McAuley. And then I got a hold of McAuley and I told him that George was coming over. I said, 'If you lie to him, father, Al and I are gone.' Al comes back later and met with the players in the early morning hours."

Al and Hank were so awesome.

Cool story.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2020, 06:32:50 PM »
I'm sure this is true in some cases but I think you would be surprised by the number of people who would have supported the players in 1968 but are threatening a boycott over BLM patches now. When it comes to social issues, the political spectrum has been moving steadily to the left for hundreds of years. Some people's believes move with the shifting political spectrum. Others stay consistent their entire lives. Those people go from being progressive in the 1960s to moderate in the 1980s to conservative in the 2000s, to far right in 2020. Their beliefs haven't changed at all, but what society sees as progressive and what it sees as tradition has changed dramatically over the past 60 years. Today's social moderates are tomorrow's social conservatives. My wife and I and have often mused about what social justice issues will be at the forefront in the future and have wondered if we won't be able to support them because that's not how we were raised.

I'm really trying to avoid making this a left/right, good/bad, type post. Just an observation I've made in my short time. I realize that I'm flirting with the political line so I will self impose a ban until tomorrow. I hope its enough to satisfy the mods so they don't try to take away any of my scholarships or cut my recruiting hours.

this was a fantastic post tamu-seriously one of the best i have read.  now you can correct me if i'm wrong and i am also not trying to push this into the political spectrum either, but feel the need to ask to clarify your point-wouldn't JFK 1960's be exhibit A? 

one other observation-my memories of father raynor were all good, but then again, as someone else had mentioned here, alcohol and girls were #'s 1, 2 & 3 on the top 5.  because fr raynor so well respected as a jesuit, a leader and a human being, and once again, i stand to be corrected if i'm off here, but his statement-

"This university will not be governed by coercion, nor will it respond to rash and loosely conceived program demands of such groups."

would get his ass kicked today.  i am glad however, cooler heads prevailed and trusted him when he, as warrior joe stated, promised to form a broadly represented committee to work toward the demands being made
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2020, 06:50:15 PM »
No one is coercing the University today so I guess I don’t understand your point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow