collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: you're fired...  (Read 2442 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
you're fired...
« on: August 05, 2020, 07:40:16 PM »
https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/suburban-teachers-social-media-post-sparks-outrage-internal-investigation/

unless there is something pretty solid in the handbook, this teacher is probably going to make enough to sell and move out of the area, as he/she will probably have to.  probably have to go into witness protection program. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
Re: you're fired...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »
https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/suburban-teachers-social-media-post-sparks-outrage-internal-investigation/

unless there is something pretty solid in the handbook, this teacher is probably going to make enough to sell and move out of the area, as he/she will probably have to.  probably have to go into witness protection program.

You think the teacher should be fired?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 09:14:22 PM »
I'm missing the part where the teacher was fired.

I'm also missing why it would be a problem if they were fired. If an employee embarrass their employer by posting something inflammatory online, doesn't capitalism say that the employer should be able to fire them?

....to be clear I know what some of the problems could be depending on the specifics of the school's polices. But I'm making a comment about the disparity in views between private and public employment
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:30:19 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:52:12 PM »
She was fired and deserved to be. She had a long history of inflammatory remarks both online and, more importantly, in the classroom that had drawn complaints from students and parents. These weren't run-of-the-mill political opinions. Among the more recent, for example, was a post saying George Floyd protesters should be doused in raw sewage.
She had been warned to cut it out several times over the years, but chose not to.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »
Teacher with poor judgment makes racist comments and is punished for it...and even rocket agrees she crossed a line. Why is this a topic?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:58:14 PM »
Teacher with poor judgment makes racist comments and is punished for it...and even rocket agrees she crossed a line. Why is this a topic?

If I interpret him correctly, I think rocket is saying she's going to win a ton of money from the school on some sort of wrongful termination lawsuit and then move.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 10:04:38 PM »
If I interpret him correctly, I think rocket is saying she's going to win a ton of money from the school on some sort of wrongful termination lawsuit and then move.

bingo

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 10:20:51 PM »
White folks just can't get a break in America. It's always been that way, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »
She was fired and deserved to be. She had a long history of inflammatory remarks both online and, more importantly, in the classroom that had drawn complaints from students and parents. These weren't run-of-the-mill political opinions. Among the more recent, for example, was a post saying George Floyd protesters should be doused in raw sewage.
She had been warned to cut it out several times over the years, but chose not to.

if "inflammatory remarks" became grounds for firing, katie bar the door

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 10:28:26 PM »

People get fired for inflammatory remarks all the time.
Especially, as in this case, unrepentant repeat offenders.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 10:35:56 PM »

Pro tip: When making media rounds after your long term cumulative racist remarks and incidents get you fired, maybe don't lament the fact your high school used to be 90% white 20 years ago when you started there, and, is now about 50% white. ...among other things. And, perhaps don't follow that up with, "Those former students are now in their 20's and don't remember high school," when asked about your past years incidents of hate speech and racism teaching Social Studies.

Even in this article you attached, she denies racism exists.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:41:46 PM by shoothoops »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 10:56:54 PM »

rocket surgeon
View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2018, 06:00:50 AM »
     i had an assistant(note-past tense) who turned to me and said that she had a very dear friend who was fighting breast cancer and very typically, was loosing her hair during the chemo phase of treatment. she proceeded to tell me that she wanted to shave her head to be "in unity" with her during this very trying time of her friends life.  i did commended her for her loyalty, but then suggested to her(very strongly) that there may be a few other ways to honor her friend.  my sympathies were truly with her friend, but i could not allow my (ex)employee(s) to use my place of business to show everyone else that she "cared".

she is not, not with me anymore because of that issue, but think next crazy thought or move and you'll understand why i almost started cutting myself again

am i against people fighting breast cancer because i "strongly" suggesting she NOT shave her head?  absolutely not.  i have had a number of friends and family members fight this fight.  if my assistant would have asked me if she could've worn a pink ribbon on her scrubs, maybe even with her friends name on it,  i could have considered that.  the head shaving thing, however, could generate more questions than answers.  the last thing i needed was for us having to explain to everyone who walks in to our office why i've got an employee looking like prymaat conehead

So employee chasing off customers with racist remarks,  acceptable?

Female employee chasing off customers by shaving her head in solidarity with a cancer survivor,  unacceptable?
TAMU

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 01:17:11 AM »
Whoa. Haven’t seen that before. Rocket, may you rot in hell.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 06:12:11 AM »

Female employee chasing off customers by shaving her head in solidarity with a cancer survivor,  unacceptable?

Delicious receipt, just delicious.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 06:36:16 AM »

this is the first time i've re/reread that statement-it was mis-stated, but whatever.

i did not fire her nor did she leave over this issue.  it was one of many issues we had with her, including, but not limited to attendance.  she did not shave her head.  she complained to me about having to work more than 30 hours per week.  as a professional office, we have codes of conduct as many others do as well

note, i said "grounds for"  there is context to everything.

bbj-you're such a sweetheart and a fake-where in the hell is there racism in my remarks because i have an opinion on free speech?  the teacher was comparing terms while not using one of the most inflammatory terms(rightly so) one could use.  so if she is wrong(in some people's minds) she is a racist?  that's actually censorship.  and then, someone such as myself commenting on it makes me a racist?  boy, you've got just about everything covered.  so we are supposed to just shut up and toe the line?  you guys are wacked

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 07:07:12 AM »
I appreciate you, Rocket.    I remember how supportive you were of Colin Kaepernick taking a knee and making a non-angry, non-vitriolic, quiet protest for black lives matter and not actually against the flag.   I remember you advocating that he had every right to do that and that his employers did not have a right to censor him.    I remember you advocating for him to be picked up by another team and how unfairly he had been treated.     

And I appreciate you going to bat for the mistreated Karens of the world.   

U da man, rocket. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:08:54 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 07:21:54 AM »
this is the first time i've re/reread that statement-it was mis-stated, but whatever.

i did not fire her nor did she leave over this issue.  it was one of many issues we had with her, including, but not limited to attendance.  she did not shave her head.  she complained to me about having to work more than 30 hours per week.  as a professional office, we have codes of conduct as many others do as well

bbj-you're such a sweetheart and a fake-where in the hell is there racism in my remarks because i have an opinion on free speech?  the teacher was comparing terms while not using one of the most inflammatory terms(rightly so) one could use.  so if she is wrong(in some people's minds) she is a racist?  that's actually censorship.  and then, someone such as myself commenting on it makes me a racist?  boy, you've got just about everything covered.  so we are supposed to just shut up and toe the line?  you guys are wacked

No, she is racist because she is attempting to equivocate the N word to white privilege.  She is either racist (considering her past and present opinions) or she doesn't understand the N word... or she doesn't understand what white privilege means.

Unfortunately for her, any one of those three items makes her unfit to teach children.  Period.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 07:34:43 AM »
I disagree.    She should be allowed around kids.    Because kids figure it out.    And now she should be forced to teach with every kid in her classroom knowing what she posted.      That isn't censorship.    She posted what she posted.   Now, the teenagers she is trying to teach can sit in judgement of her for 6 periods a day. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 07:36:13 AM »
I appreciate you, Rocket.    I remember how supportive you were of Colin Kaepernick taking a knee and making a non-angry, non-vitriolic, quiet protest for black lives matter and not actually against the flag.   I remember you advocating that he had every right to do that and that his employers did not have a right to censor him.    I remember you advocating for him to be picked up by another team and how unfairly he had been treated.     

And I appreciate you going to bat for the mistreated Karens of the world.   

U da man, rocket. 

Bingo.  Rocket twists himself in such a pretzel of logic whenever he comments on issues like these.  He should join a circus.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 07:37:30 AM »
Game.  Blouses.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 07:54:26 AM »

Palatines unbelievably white and is already a right leaning suburb. What is your basis for thinking she'll have to move?
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 08:12:59 AM »

"She is not with me anymore because of that issue"

Let's get back to this. And you follow it up by mocking the physical  appearance of people with shave heads as well as those with cancer.

So which is it? You lied then or you lied now. The word is lie. Misspoke, misstated, alternative facts....

Freedom of speech is not freedom of consequences of that speech. And she was fired for a cumulative variety of things, past and present.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 08:46:13 AM »
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Maybe the teacher will learn, maybe she won't.

Maybe rocket will learn, maybe he won't.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 08:50:56 AM »
"She is not with me anymore because of that issue"

Let's get back to this. And you follow it up by mocking the physical  appearance of people with shave heads as well as those with cancer.

So which is it? You lied then or you lied now. The word is lie. Misspoke, misstated, alternative facts....

Freedom of speech is not freedom of consequences of that speech. And she was fired for a cumulative variety of things, past and present.

i was not mocking anything!!!  i simply intimated that shaving her head was not suggested within my place of work.  she quit because she didn't want to work more than 30 hours.  ironic as i just saw her aunt and never has any of this been brought up

listen jack, don't tell me what i'm mocking or not mocking and just move along.  my wife just had her port taken out following a years worth of intensive cancer therapy including chemo, radiation and antibody infusions.  she was bald for 6 months +  was as beautiful as the day i met her 40 years ago. 

someone who wishes another to "rot in hell" is the real character revealed.   pretty harsh words for someone who disagrees with another.  quit trying to twist me into someone i am not

i knew you guys would shift this thread into another attack on me...why do i keep coming to your guys little fortress here?? 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
i knew you guys would shift this thread into another attack on me...why do i keep coming to your guys little fortress here?? 

Because you have a habit of not being logically consistent.

I hope your wife continues to do well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »

i was not mocking anything!!!  i simply intimated that shaving her head was not suggested within my place of work.  she quit because she didn't want to work more than 30 hours.  ironic as i just saw her aunt and never has any of this been brought up

listen jack, don't tell me what i'm mocking or not mocking and just move along.  my wife just had her port taken out following a years worth of intensive cancer therapy including chemo, radiation and antibody infusions.  she was bald for 6 months +  was as beautiful as the day i met her 40 years ago. 

someone who wishes another to "rot in hell" is the real character revealed.   pretty harsh words for someone who disagrees with another.  quit trying to twist me into someone i am not

You said you didn't need anyone in your office looking like a "Prymaat Conehead".....

Your original message did not say she quit about hours. You lied either then or now.

I didn't wish for you to "Rot in hell"...we are all individual posters and people here and people can be addressed individually.

So it's okay for you to mock other bald people but not your wife? Do you see where this is inconsistent? Many if not everyone here has their individual experiences with cancer and other health challenges, including myself with multiple immediate family members.)

Are you saying TAMU Eagle fabricated the original message you sent?

You could have said you lied then or now, and then clarified your current position, which for now, comes across as double standards for different people, mocking bald people, denying racism/hate speech, actions, protecting racists.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 10:02:16 AM »

Rocket, I know you didn't fire the employee for wanting to shave her head. That's not the point. The point is that you as an employer thought that you had the right to limit your employee's free speech because you thought that her free speech would have an adverse impact on your business.

In the case you brought up, the employer (Palentine High) is limiting the free speech of their employee because they thought that her free speech would have an adverse impact on their business.

The only difference between the two situations is that Palentine made the decision because their customers were offended by their employee's racist and bigoted views. You made your decision because you were afraid your customers would be be offended because they have bigoted and sexist views about how a woman should or shouldn't look. One decision fought against bigotry, another decision supported it.

This is capitalism at its finest. The company (Palentine High) puts out a product (education). Its customers don't like an aspect of their product (the teacher's racist views) and make their complaints known and some may have even voted with their checkbooks. Capitalism demands that a good employer would take action and improve their product by removing the aspect that the customers didn't like. Capitalism baby. It works for liberals too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:24:58 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2020, 10:21:14 AM »
God bless you and your wife, Rocket.   

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »
Eng said it best