[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Per Jon Rothstien - Five Teams That Could Overachieve  (Read 5865 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Per Jon Rothstien - Five Teams That Could Overachieve
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »
Which is why he thinks Marquette will overachieve?
I suppose, but I think this is becoming a circular argument.

Some will see 6th place in the BE as overachieving a pat Wojo on the back.

Others will see 6th place a another disappointment and call for Wojo's head because they expect more from MU and it's investment.

Such is the nature of fan bases.

IMHO, if Wojo can get us to the NIT, he will have done well and is moving in the right direction as a coach. BUT that might not be good enough for MU to keep him.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »

Others will see 6th place a another disappointment and call for Wojo's head because they expect more from MU and it's investment.

IMHO, if Wojo can get us to the NIT, he will have done well and is moving in the right direction as a coach. BUT that might not be good enough for MU to keep him.

There is zero chance that Wojo is gone after an NIT birth this year.  Unless someone steps up and pays the entirety of the buyout, and even then I am not sure MU would go for that.  The optics of paying that contract off when other employees have been furloughed or laid off would be something.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »

There is zero chance that Wojo is gone after an NIT birth this year.  Unless someone steps up and pays the entirety of the buyout, and even then I am not sure MU would go for that.  The optics of paying that contract off when other employees have been furloughed or laid off would be something.
I would agree. Remind me, does he have three more years after 20-21?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2020, 04:47:04 PM »
IMHO, if Wojo can get us to the NIT, he will have done well and is moving in the right direction as a coach.
How are we at this place in Year 7?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2020, 05:01:31 PM »
The fickle fates of big time college basketball.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »

That would be nice.  The only season where he has really surprised was 2016-17, which ended in a first round loss, but you still felt the future was bright with Sam and Markus as freshmen.

But it ever really went anywhere after that.

Ultimately he is a decent (but not great) recruiter and a C-level bench coach.  Good enough to get into the dance many years, but not really go anywhere.

So could he overachieve this year?  Sure.  But it would look at lot like 2016-17, which would be fine, but he would need to build from that.
2016-17 team was my favorite of the Wojo era. Had a deep roster of above average players who had good overall chemistry. A very entertaining group of guys. Also ,for that one year , Wojo had a good rotation formula that got everyone the minutes they deserved .

It was unfortunate that MU had to play a first round game against a South Carolina team that went on to the Final Four.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2020, 10:26:25 PM »

An nit birth should be the floor in a down year, not a freakin goal.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2020, 10:59:53 PM »
An nit birth should be the floor in a down year, not a freakin goal.

Agree with this. The goal should be NCAA this year. That would be slightly overachieving in a down year. NIT would be meeting expectations.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2020, 09:38:29 AM »
I’m telling myself we have a new coach who left a solid program where he made 3 NCAA’s but never got that team over the hump. 

However he’s learned a lot from his last stop and is ready to put those lessons into action here at MU year 1.

Losing Markus, a historically ball dominant player, amounts to taking a new job.  I’m more of a NoJo than a ProJo but I do feel like this is a reset and I’m cautiously optimistic.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »
I’m telling myself we have a new coach who left a solid program where he made 3 NCAA’s but never got that team over the hump. 

However he’s learned a lot from his last stop and is ready to put those lessons into action here at MU year 1.

Losing Markus, a historically ball dominant player, amounts to taking a new job.  I’m more of a NoJo than a ProJo but I do feel like this is a reset and I’m cautiously optimistic.

I like your take.  This is what I am hoping for as well.  This is a fresh start with some pretty damn good players.

feedback