[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:41:23 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lazar MU Hall of Fame  (Read 6578 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Lazar MU Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2020, 02:18:45 PM »
I remember talking to a longtime and knowledgeable fan at Midnight Madness.  We agreed that with the team starting two guards who got walk-on playing time the previous year, it was going to be a long season and lots of people were going to shout that Buzz did not know how to coach.

In the preseason, I was hoping for a NIT bid. It ended up Lazar and the Midgets, but to start that year, it felt like Lazar and Nobody.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

pbiflyer

• All American

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 12:15:49 AM »
Congrats, Lamar!   One of my favorite players

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2020, 12:42:01 AM »
If I remember correctly, isn't he an insurance agent now?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »

You like him so much you don’t even know his name!  ;)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »
He was awesome. And from what I’ve heard of him, an awesome guy too. Not the defender Jae was, but every bit the offensive player.

Unfair comparison.  Lazar was forced to guard player 4-6 inches taller than himself in every game in the post because he was the only option.  Something that was never expected of Jae.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
Unfair comparison.  Lazar was forced to guard player 4-6 inches taller than himself in every game in the post because he was the only option.  Something that was never expected of Jae.

I don’t think it’s unfair in that Lazar didn’t necessarily have the lateral speed to guard his own height/position. He was certainly the biggest little guy we’ve ever had defending the 5.  Really impressive what he was able to do, but hands down Jae was the better defender-mostly because he was just more athletic. 

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 11:38:42 AM »
Lazar was one of my favorite players at Marquette in the last 15 years. His combination of winning team attitude, variety of skills and great hustle puts him for sure in the top 20 all time at Marquette.

Homer did an interview with him a few years ago and Lazar seemed to still be looking for a place to play, but was not eager to go to some of the higher risk countries to pursue the end of his pro career.

UNC Grad MU Fan

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 01:32:09 PM »
Lazar was a warrior.  Undersized 4 and sometimes playing the 5.  Marquette did not have a powerful 5 during the 3 amigos and Lazar time period at MU.
MU could have gone deep in the tournament if they would have had 5 that was at the same level as the 3 amigos and Lazar.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2020, 01:34:59 PM »
Lazar was a warrior.  Undersized 4 and sometimes playing the 5.  Marquette did not have a powerful 5 during the 3 amigos and Lazar time period at MU.
MU could have gone deep in the tournament if they would have had 5 that was at the same level as the 3 amigos and Lazar.

If James never got hurt, with Butler coming on late, the best lineup would have been:

James
McNeal
Matthews
Butler
Hayward

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2020, 04:53:55 PM »
If James never got hurt, with Butler coming on late, the best lineup would have been:

James
McNeal
Matthews
Butler
Hayward
Not a bad lineup.  Any of those guys could go off for 25 or more points in a game.  Shut one down and the other four could easily pick it up.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »

James
McNeal
Matthews
Butler
Hayward

JFB really only came on because he was given more minutes and racked up a bunch of points in blowouts.  It's not that he all of the sudden became junior or senior year JFB.

I mean, in 25 minutes against Utah State in the first round of the NCAA tournament, he shot the ball once. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2020, 05:04:45 PM »

JFB really only came on because he was given more minutes and racked up a bunch of points in blowouts.  It's not that he all of the sudden became junior or senior year JFB.

I mean, in 25 minutes against Utah State in the first round of the NCAA tournament, he shot the ball once.

I agree. Year 1 Jimmy Butler was a nice surprise. Gave good minutes off the bench, but offensively I remember him mostly getting his points through dump offs, put backs, and drawing fouls. He wasnt likely to drop 25+ points.

Everyone thought Joe fulce was going to be the impact juco guy, not Butler.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2020, 06:27:35 PM »
Some great Lazar memories in this highlight video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=livRJByJQ4M
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »
I agree. Year 1 Jimmy Butler was a nice surprise. Gave good minutes off the bench, but offensively I remember him mostly getting his points through dump offs, put backs, and drawing fouls. He wasnt likely to drop 25+ points.

Everyone thought Joe fulce was going to be the impact juco guy, not Butler.

By February of that first year there were audible groans in the BC when Butler got an open look because every person with a heartbeat knew he wasn't taking the shot. Reticent is how I would describe his offensive game during his debut season.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
Not sure how or why this turned into a Jae vs. Lazar thread.

Lazar was great. The ideal college Forward (didn't translate to NBA, but still, a great college player). It is a 4 way toss up (along with Jerel, Wes, and Dominic) on who was the best post-Final Four player recruited by Crean. Finished 2nd all time in scoring. Honorable Mention All American and 2nd Team Big East. More importantly, he (along with the previously mentioned 3) helped bridge the gap between Creen and Buzz. The program didn't miss a beat.

Well deserved.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:00:07 PM by Coleman »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »
Not sure how or why this turned into a Jae vs. Lazar thread.

This one is easy. A poster stated that Lazar was “Jae Crowder before there was a Jae Crowder”. This sparked a back and forth.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2020, 12:46:27 PM »
This one is easy. A poster stated that Lazar was “Jae Crowder before there was a Jae Crowder”. This sparked a back and forth.

Wow just "a poster" I'm hurt Lenny truly hurt. But still stand by the statement.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2020, 08:18:11 PM »
Wow just "a poster" I'm hurt Lenny truly hurt. But still stand by the statement.

Sorry Eagle. Should have said “One of our most brilliant but in this case misguided posters”.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2020, 08:49:27 PM »
Sorry Eagle. Should have said “One of our most brilliant but in this case misguided posters”.

Aw shucks you're so kind
Maigh Eo for Sam