Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Lazar MU Hall of Fame  (Read 6453 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Lazar MU Hall of Fame
« on: July 24, 2020, 07:23:54 PM »
Just wanted to point out this honor that Lazar earned, as there have been a lot of distractions this year. Lazar is one of  MU's all time greats and sometimes doesn't get enough recognition for his accomplishments. Hoping he can find his way to playing in the TBT at some point in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgzfYG4dokM
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Lazar MU Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 07:58:42 PM »
Well deserved outside of stepping on the line against Mizzou. He invented Crowder before Crowder was Crowder. I still think if he was coached right he would've been more successful in the NBA. Still wear the old Converse 32 jersey to games And correct everyone who think it's a crowder jersey that it's a Lazar Jersey.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:43:06 PM »
Well deserved outside of stepping on the line against Mizzou. He invented Crowder before Crowder was Crowder. I still think if he was coached right he would've been more successful in the NBA. Still wear the old Converse 32 jersey to games And correct everyone who think it's a crowder jersey that it's a Lazar Jersey.

Love Lazar, congrats to him on a very well deserved honor. But he didn’t “invent” Crowder. They played the same position, true. Both were great, also true. But Jae was a good deal better.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 09:12:16 PM »
Love Lazar, congrats to him on a very well deserved honor. But he didn’t “invent” Crowder. They played the same position, true. Both were great, also true. But Jae was a good deal better.

I respectfully disagree. Maybe efficiency stats can prove me wrong but as I recall I looked it up once and their numbers were scary similar.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 09:37:15 PM »
I respectfully disagree. Maybe efficiency stats can prove me wrong but as I recall I looked it up once and their numbers were scary similar.

Yeah Jae being a “good deal better” than Lazar simply isn’t true and I don’t know why he thinks it is. Jae might have been better but he was also better than everyone else his senior year too, as evidenced by his big East poty. Lazar is underrated just about everywhere and it seems like that includes some users here too

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
Just wanted to point out this honor that Lazar earned, as there have been a lot of distractions this year. Lazar is one of  MU's all time greats and sometimes doesn't get enough recognition for his accomplishments. Hoping he can find his way to playing in the TBT at some point in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgzfYG4dokM

Now obviously weve had older on the team. But Lazar will be 34.5 by the next TBT and not really sure what hes even doing basketball wise these days.

Ain't happening.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 09:48:25 PM »
Congrats to Lazar! I didn't think he had a ghost of a chance at this!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 09:51:38 PM »
He was awesome. And from what I’ve heard of him, an awesome guy too. Not the defender Jae was, but every bit the offensive player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 10:14:39 PM »
Now obviously weve had older on the team. But Lazar will be 34.5 by the next TBT and not really sure what hes even doing basketball wise these days.

Ain't happening.

He has his own clothing line. Also doing some things with a couple other former NBA players. Not actively pursuing basketball opportunities.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 10:34:59 PM »
He was awesome. And from what I’ve heard of him, an awesome guy too. Not the defender Jae was, but every bit the offensive player.

Co-sign. And both had an incredible gift for the subtle foul the refs didn't see.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 10:43:58 PM »

I can attest to that. He is a great person.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 10:48:40 PM »

Jae filled in for Lazar in a surprisingly similar way. The ability to defend multiple positions up to the five, the trailer three, the slightly undersized four, there were a lot of similarities.

Granted, senior Jae was like an extra developmental year for Lazar with a bit more emotion, but in general he was a surprisingly effective plug-in for a Marquette great.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 06:38:23 AM »
Co-sign. And both had an incredible gift for the subtle foul the refs didn't see.

Hayward was the best I’ve ever seen at MU in this regard. Tremendous gift for it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 06:54:23 AM »
Jae was better. Better defender. More efficient offensively.

He was not “a good deal better.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 06:59:27 AM »
Jae was big East player of the year and second team all American.  You can debate what a ‘good deal’ means but he was clearly more successful

Lazar was A leader.  I always felt like he was the one who passed down the way to work to some of buzz’s guys (like jimmy)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:00:58 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 08:26:39 AM »
Loved the trailing 3 at the top of the key.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:42:47 AM by Knight Commission »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 08:53:42 AM »
Dude still conversatin' wit da departed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 09:16:39 AM »
Lazar was in touch with the spirit of the Warrior.   A deserved honor.   In the NBA, he lacked the lateral quickness and ball handling to make the transition to 2 guard, a la Jae and Jimmy.   Which does nothing to detract from his MU accomplishments.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

leever

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 09:20:20 AM »
Congrats to Lazar! I didn't think he had a ghost of a chance at this!!

Well done!

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »
One of my all time favorites. Congrats to Lazar.

I always thought it was amazing that he led the team to the tournament his senior year after they lost James, McNeal, and Matthews. But apparently that team had 4 guys who spent some time in the NBA so maybe it wasn't so amazing.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 10:01:37 AM »
One of my all time favorites. Congrats to Lazar.

I always thought it was amazing that he led the team to the tournament his senior year after they lost James, McNeal, and Matthews. But apparently that team had 4 guys who spent some time in the NBA so maybe it wasn't so amazing.

That to me was Buzz's best coaching job, though as you rightly point out, there was a lot more talent on that team than most of us realized at the time. That said, DJO and Jimmy were mostly unknown quantities, Buycks was nowhere near the player he became after college, and Acker and Cooby was one of the most unlikely successful guard combos imaginable. What Buzz did by slowing down the offense to a snail's pace and reorienting the team around three-point shooting was brilliant.

The most amazing bit may have been 6'4" Lazar's ability to defend bigs. Such a unique and interesting team, and Lazar's work on both ends was a big part of why they reached the heights they did. It's too bad they gave up that lead in the Tournament, they had a clear path to the Sweet 16 and would've had a decent shot in a rematch with that WVU team they werethisclose to beating on the road back in January.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2020, 10:42:54 AM »

Crowder had a much better team....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 12:49:56 PM »
Yeah Jae being a “good deal better” than Lazar simply isn’t true and I don’t know why he thinks it is.

I guess it depends on what a “good deal better” means to people. Two guys play the same position, player A is a 2nd team All Big East player and an honorable mention All American and player B is a Big East player of the year, 1st team All Big East and 2nd team All American.

To me, player B’s resume’ is a good deal better than player A’s.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 01:15:21 PM »
I guess it depends on what a “good deal better” means to people. Two guys play the same position, player A is a 2nd team All Big East player and an honorable mention All American and player B is a Big East player of the year, 1st team All Big East and 2nd team All American.

To me, player B’s resume’ is a good deal better than player A’s.

Agree.

Lazar was a very fine player for us. Jae was an effen stud as a senior.

It doesn't diminish Lazar to say that any more than it diminishes Jae to say he wasn't as good as D-Wade. That's just sports.

Glad to see Lazar was honored by MU. Very much deserves it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »
That to me was Buzz's best coaching job, though as you rightly point out, there was a lot more talent on that team than most of us realized at the time. That said, DJO and Jimmy were mostly unknown quantities, Buycks was nowhere near the player he became after college, and Acker and Cooby was one of the most unlikely successful guard combos imaginable. What Buzz did by slowing down the offense to a snail's pace and reorienting the team around three-point shooting was brilliant.

The most amazing bit may have been 6'4" Lazar's ability to defend bigs. Such a unique and interesting team, and Lazar's work on both ends was a big part of why they reached the heights they did. It's too bad they gave up that lead in the Tournament, they had a clear path to the Sweet 16 and would've had a decent shot in a rematch with that WVU team they werethisclose to beating on the road back in January.

I remember talking to a longtime and knowledgeable fan at Midnight Madness.  We agreed that with the team starting two guards who got walk-on playing time the previous year, it was going to be a long season and lots of people were going to shout that Buzz did not know how to coach.  Buzz pulled a rabbit out of his hat that year.  And while Jimmy and DJO turned out to be better than expected, Buzz was one of the few coaches who recognized Jimmy's talent early and he definitely made him the player he became.  Buzz was also the only coach to figure out that DJO was eligible after one year at juco and reached out and grabbed him before other people figured it out. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2020, 02:18:45 PM »
I remember talking to a longtime and knowledgeable fan at Midnight Madness.  We agreed that with the team starting two guards who got walk-on playing time the previous year, it was going to be a long season and lots of people were going to shout that Buzz did not know how to coach.

In the preseason, I was hoping for a NIT bid. It ended up Lazar and the Midgets, but to start that year, it felt like Lazar and Nobody.

pbiflyer

• All American

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 12:15:49 AM »
Congrats, Lamar!   One of my favorite players

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2020, 12:42:01 AM »
If I remember correctly, isn't he an insurance agent now?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »

You like him so much you don’t even know his name!  ;)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »

Unfair comparison.  Lazar was forced to guard player 4-6 inches taller than himself in every game in the post because he was the only option.  Something that was never expected of Jae.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
Unfair comparison.  Lazar was forced to guard player 4-6 inches taller than himself in every game in the post because he was the only option.  Something that was never expected of Jae.

I don’t think it’s unfair in that Lazar didn’t necessarily have the lateral speed to guard his own height/position. He was certainly the biggest little guy we’ve ever had defending the 5.  Really impressive what he was able to do, but hands down Jae was the better defender-mostly because he was just more athletic. 

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 11:38:42 AM »
Lazar was one of my favorite players at Marquette in the last 15 years. His combination of winning team attitude, variety of skills and great hustle puts him for sure in the top 20 all time at Marquette.

Homer did an interview with him a few years ago and Lazar seemed to still be looking for a place to play, but was not eager to go to some of the higher risk countries to pursue the end of his pro career.

UNC Grad MU Fan

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 01:32:09 PM »
Lazar was a warrior.  Undersized 4 and sometimes playing the 5.  Marquette did not have a powerful 5 during the 3 amigos and Lazar time period at MU.
MU could have gone deep in the tournament if they would have had 5 that was at the same level as the 3 amigos and Lazar.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2020, 01:34:59 PM »
Lazar was a warrior.  Undersized 4 and sometimes playing the 5.  Marquette did not have a powerful 5 during the 3 amigos and Lazar time period at MU.
MU could have gone deep in the tournament if they would have had 5 that was at the same level as the 3 amigos and Lazar.

If James never got hurt, with Butler coming on late, the best lineup would have been:

James
McNeal
Matthews
Butler
Hayward

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2020, 04:53:55 PM »
If James never got hurt, with Butler coming on late, the best lineup would have been:

James
McNeal
Matthews
Butler
Hayward
Not a bad lineup.  Any of those guys could go off for 25 or more points in a game.  Shut one down and the other four could easily pick it up.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »

James
McNeal
Matthews
Butler
Hayward

JFB really only came on because he was given more minutes and racked up a bunch of points in blowouts.  It's not that he all of the sudden became junior or senior year JFB.

I mean, in 25 minutes against Utah State in the first round of the NCAA tournament, he shot the ball once. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2020, 05:04:45 PM »

JFB really only came on because he was given more minutes and racked up a bunch of points in blowouts.  It's not that he all of the sudden became junior or senior year JFB.

I mean, in 25 minutes against Utah State in the first round of the NCAA tournament, he shot the ball once.

I agree. Year 1 Jimmy Butler was a nice surprise. Gave good minutes off the bench, but offensively I remember him mostly getting his points through dump offs, put backs, and drawing fouls. He wasnt likely to drop 25+ points.

Everyone thought Joe fulce was going to be the impact juco guy, not Butler.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2020, 06:27:35 PM »
Some great Lazar memories in this highlight video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=livRJByJQ4M
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »
I agree. Year 1 Jimmy Butler was a nice surprise. Gave good minutes off the bench, but offensively I remember him mostly getting his points through dump offs, put backs, and drawing fouls. He wasnt likely to drop 25+ points.

Everyone thought Joe fulce was going to be the impact juco guy, not Butler.

By February of that first year there were audible groans in the BC when Butler got an open look because every person with a heartbeat knew he wasn't taking the shot. Reticent is how I would describe his offensive game during his debut season.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
Not sure how or why this turned into a Jae vs. Lazar thread.

Lazar was great. The ideal college Forward (didn't translate to NBA, but still, a great college player). It is a 4 way toss up (along with Jerel, Wes, and Dominic) on who was the best post-Final Four player recruited by Crean. Finished 2nd all time in scoring. Honorable Mention All American and 2nd Team Big East. More importantly, he (along with the previously mentioned 3) helped bridge the gap between Creen and Buzz. The program didn't miss a beat.

Well deserved.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:00:07 PM by Coleman »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »
Not sure how or why this turned into a Jae vs. Lazar thread.

This one is easy. A poster stated that Lazar was “Jae Crowder before there was a Jae Crowder”. This sparked a back and forth.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2020, 12:46:27 PM »
This one is easy. A poster stated that Lazar was “Jae Crowder before there was a Jae Crowder”. This sparked a back and forth.

Wow just "a poster" I'm hurt Lenny truly hurt. But still stand by the statement.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2020, 08:18:11 PM »
Wow just "a poster" I'm hurt Lenny truly hurt. But still stand by the statement.

Sorry Eagle. Should have said “One of our most brilliant but in this case misguided posters”.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2020, 08:49:27 PM »
Sorry Eagle. Should have said “One of our most brilliant but in this case misguided posters”.

Aw shucks you're so kind
Maigh Eo for Sam