collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Traeger and wood pellet grills  (Read 1963 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Traeger and wood pellet grills
« on: July 23, 2020, 06:50:57 PM »
Does anyone have one? If so, thoughts, recommendations, positive or negative experiences? Alternatives? TIA.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jficke13

• All American
Re: Traeger and wood pellet grills
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 08:11:54 PM »
My dad has one. IMHO it's not a grill, it's an easy mode smoker. It's not the kind of thing I'd want to throw a ribeye on to get a good sear, but it makes smoking stuff a breeze. Very cool and fun and good, but don't throw away the Weber.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 09:50:58 PM »
My dad has one. IMHO it's not a grill, it's an easy mode smoker. It's not the kind of thing I'd want to throw a ribeye on to get a good sear, but it makes smoking stuff a breeze. Very cool and fun and good, but don't throw away the Weber.

Thanks for the feedback. Moving to a new condo and charcoal is not allowed by the HOA. I only knew of Traeger from the Dan Patrick Show but don’t know anybody with one.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 02:45:06 PM »
It’s worth it. And opposite of the above I threw out my Weber.

I do all my steaks reverse sear with a cast iron and the traeger tops out at 500 so you can still sear.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »
I've been looking into switching to a pellet grill too, and I've found that some other brands allow you to run the grill/smoker at higher temps than  Traeger. Pit Boss, for example, has models that can set up to 500 degrees and also have a grate that slides open allowing for direct flame access which will give you even higher temps. These seems like better all in one options than most Traeger models because they seem more versatile to me (plus they're half the price). I know Traeger is the top brand, and they claim they can sear, but they seem like they're really just built for smoking.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 12:03:34 PM by skianth16 »

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 12:31:26 PM »
Anyone have any tips on getting a good bark when using the traeger? I have not been able to figure that part out yet.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »
Traeger is really good stuff.  Weber just came out with a new pellet grill too that goes to 600.

I recently bought a Green Mountain.  GM is run by ex Traeger people.  It's at a lower price point, and seems to have similar features as the Traeger.  I can run my GM off the ap away from home on my phone. 

I spoke to two other people at work that have the GM, and they've been happy with theirs after several years of ownership.

If I could ding the GM, their ap does not chart temperature change over time. It shows the temp at a point in time only.  Not sure if Traeger can do that.  My old Weber Bluetooth thermometers would do that....I miss that function.

Value proposition is what got me to GM, plus solid recommendations.  One other cool feature about the GM, you can run it off your car battery. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 12:47:59 PM »
And, FWIW, my dad's model is a few years old, so they may have improved on the searing front in the meantime.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »
Anyone have any tips on getting a good bark when using the traeger? I have not been able to figure that part out yet.

A former colleague of mine had issues with that as well, and he said he had to use a smoke tube to get a better bark.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 10:11:48 PM »
A former colleague of mine had issues with that as well, and he said he had to use a smoke tube to get a better bark.

Not sure if you have an older model (I know they have been improving). I’ve got a timberline from 2-3 years ago and have no issues with bark or smoke ring

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 06:19:32 AM »
traeger is known for its smokers.  if you want a good grill sans charcoal-the blaze gas grill it top notch with rear sear and rotisserie
don't...don't don't don't don't

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »
I've been looking into switching to a pellet grill too, and I've found that some other brands allow you to run the grill/smoker at higher temps than  Traeger. Pit Boss, for example, has models that can set up to 500 degrees and also have a grate that slides open allowing for direct flame access which will give you even higher temps. These seems like better all in one options than most Traeger models because they seem more versatile to me (plus they're half the price). I know Traeger is the top brand, and they claim they can sear, but they seem like they're really just built for smoking.

I came across the Oklahoma Joe's line with the direct sear, which is a game-changer for me. 

Thanks for all of the feedback, all!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »
Which smoker are you going with?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 04:03:24 PM »
Which smoker are you going with?

I have another month before closing so I haven't made a final decision yet. But, my assistant has a Green Mountain and loves it. I want one with the sear option, so leaving GM and Oklahoma Joe's.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2024, 12:04:44 PM »
I'm resurrecting this topic because I think I'm going to be shopping for a pellet grill this summer. By all accounts, Traeger's are the industry leader. But I see a fair amount of noise that they are charging a pretty hefty premium for the name. Several years after this thread went dormant, I'd be interested to know others' thoughts on the best pellet grills. I'm thinking I'd be looking at the lower end models (e.g., $750-$1250) and not the super deluxe models.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2024, 04:48:22 PM »
Check out https://mgrills.com/collections/blazn-grill-works
Love mine. Very heavy for cosnsistant heat. American made. Had Treager and Green Mountain before and Blazn is the best, IMHO.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2024, 10:37:19 AM »
I bought the cheapest Pit Boss I could find.  It's fantastic!

(seriously)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2024, 01:15:16 PM »
Love mine. Very heavy for cosnsistant heat. American made. Had Treager and Green Mountain before and Blazn is the best, IMHO.

I can't help but wonder what period of time we're talking about. I'm pretty sure I've only had two grills since I bought my house about 28 years ago. You've had three pellet grills? Were you satisfied with the durability of the Traeger and Green Mountain? Did they break down? Or were you just trading up for new features, etc.?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2024, 01:16:05 PM »
I bought the cheapest Pit Boss I could find.  It's fantastic!

(seriously)

Thanks, Rocky. I have to admit that I'm also considering some of the more budget-friendly brands.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2024, 01:32:51 PM »
Check out green mountain.  Good value smoker. Can get to 550 for decent searing

There are a lot of aftermarket accessories for them, including a down draft and multi level grates.   You can also get a factory rotisserie.

They make a pizza oven attachment that is nice. The stone gets to 700 degrees.

Really good service too if you need it. 

https://greenmountaingrills.com/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 01:34:51 PM by real chili 83 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2024, 01:35:41 PM »

What does it have over the GMG?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2024, 01:50:29 PM »
What does it have over the GMG?
It is heavier steel. Holds the temperature well in the cold and wind. Uses less pellets due to the thicker steel also. The grates are of better quality and the hopper holds more pellets.

I like the GMG. Has one for 10 years but had issues with fans and control boards. I don't regret the GMG purchase. It was a great grill/smoker but not as good as a Blazn.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2024, 01:52:17 PM »
Just read up on them. The removable fire pot is a great feature. 

Pricier than GMG, but some nice features.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2024, 01:55:32 PM »
I can't help but wonder what period of time we're talking about. I'm pretty sure I've only had two grills since I bought my house about 28 years ago. You've had three pellet grills? Were you satisfied with the durability of the Traeger and Green Mountain? Did they break down? Or were you just trading up for new features, etc.?
Had a GMG for 10-11 years. Traeger for 1 and "gifted" to a friend to get the Blazn.

Traeger is good but IMHO: Blazn>GMG>Traeger.

Blazn the best made of all f them. Maybe because it is made in the USA.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2024, 01:58:24 PM »
Just read up on them. The removable fire pot is a great feature. 

Pricier than GMG, but some nice features.
Yes, I see the price has gone up since I purchased mine. If you can swing it, I think it is worth the investment.

<damn, I sound like a Blazn sales person. Honestly just giving one guy's opinion.>

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2024, 01:59:21 PM »
Thanks, Rocky. I have to admit that I'm also considering some of the more budget-friendly brands.

Yeah, it was $250ish I think.  Going for about 3+ years now.  Small hopper, but on a long smoke I just refill it every 3 hours or so.  I'm sure I could push it to 4 hours, but don't want risk it.  That's even in freezing temps with wind.  Big enough to do 3 racks of ribs, 2 pork butts/shoulders, 3-4 chickens.

Grills at 500ish.

Just have to vacuum out the fire pot every couple months (depending on use, of course).

feedback