[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NHL 2019-2020  (Read 7056 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: NHL 2019-2020
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 09:56:10 AM »
It was actually in the NBA thread. Predicting the bubble to be a huge failure (and stating all sports would be a massive mess) and show how badly everything was handled.  Which has not been the case.  The MLB has been the worst and they’ve even navigated it well, save for the Marlins situation.  The NBA and the NHL have been resounding successes thus far.

But otherwise I totally agree. Bubbles seem super difficult for CBB and football seems tricky given number of teams for the former, and team sizes and whatnot for the latter. The NFC North would have as many players alone as practically the entire NBA bubble

One person said the NBA bubble would "fail spectacularly." 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 12:29:28 PM »

And has it still quoted as their signature. I never said the vast majority or consensus. Just calling out a vocal opinion by a frequent poster that has repeatedly been doubled down on and it wasn’t very disagreed with at the time (shrug)

And FWIW, the minute there was some issues early on, pre-bubble, and further when Lou Williams had his drama, I read a lot of people, outside the confines of this board, thinking it was doomed to failure. Been very pleasantly surprised with how well MLS, NHL, NBA, and European soccer (when it was still early and dicey a few months ago) did with their respective measures
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:32:41 PM by JWags85 »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 01:51:39 PM »

even team execs were concerned. Major credit to the players for being responsible. The Oura ring has helped with accountability in the NBA.

How do you "bubble" college athletes? Do they not go to class? Do they not live in the dorms and eat at dining halls? Do colleges have that kind of money?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
even team execs were concerned. Major credit to the players for being responsible. The Oura ring has helped with accountability in the NBA.

How do you "bubble" college athletes? Do they not go to class? Do they not live in the dorms and eat at dining halls? Do colleges have that kind of money?

If they take online classes and don't live in the dorms or eat in the dining halls, they'll be the same as a significant portion of all students this year.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »
I know this thread hasn't been super heavy on actual hockey discussion, especially for a NHL thread, but what are people's thoughts about the unlimited overtime rule in the postseason?  I'm normally a fan of it, as a shootout is too "coin-flip" for my liking for postseason play, and the tension that exists when the game can end at any time is great, but that Columbus Tampa game yesterday was just ridiculous.  I can't really think of an alternative either, but if that series goes 7 and there are more OT games, whoever gets the winner will be licking their chops knowing they're going up against dead legs.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
I know this thread hasn't been super heavy on actual hockey discussion, especially for a NHL thread, but what are people's thoughts about the unlimited overtime rule in the postseason?  I'm normally a fan of it, as a shootout is too "coin-flip" for my liking for postseason play, and the tension that exists when the game can end at any time is great, but that Columbus Tampa game yesterday was just ridiculous.  I can't really think of an alternative either, but if that series goes 7 and there are more OT games, whoever gets the winner will be licking their chops knowing they're going up against dead legs.

For me, I am fine with the way it is for OT. I am open to future changing on ice player quantity, as a progression. No playoff shootouts, and keep 20 minutes each OT period.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »
For me, I am fine with the way it is for OT. I am open to future changing on ice player quantity, as a progression. No playoff shootouts, and keep 20 minutes each OT period.

What would your thoughts be about dropping it to 4v4?  Still have to score from open play, so no shootout.  Wouldn't end nearly as fast as the 3v3 regular season so there would still be hockey to enjoy.  But would almost certainly be decided in the first 20 min OT (although in theory could still go one forever).  Or are you more of a traditionalist?  Just trying to feel out the crowd.

I realize that there'd be no way to change it for the postseason already underway, although if there were ever a time to implement something a little more unorthodox it would be this year, it just seems like unless the Bolts sweep, they'll be at a severe disadvantage if they advance (now watch them go on a Cup run now that I said this).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:58:35 PM by Its DJOver »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 05:24:53 PM »
What would your thoughts be about dropping it to 4v4?  Still have to score from open play, so no shootout.  Wouldn't end nearly as fast as the 3v3 regular season so there would still be hockey to enjoy.  But would almost certainly be decided in the first 20 min OT (although in theory could still go one forever).  Or are you more of a traditionalist?  Just trying to feel out the crowd.

I realize that there'd be no way to change it for the postseason already underway, although if there were ever a time to implement something a little more unorthodox it would be this year, it just seems like unless the Bolts sweep, they'll be at a severe disadvantage if they advance (now watch them go on a Cup run now that I said this).

It's a little bit different but this past year the St. Louis Blues won the Stanley Cup playing 4 OT games in four series including one 2OT game. And two of the four series went 7 games while the other two went six games. That's a lot. But they were able to win it all.

5OT is a challenge. But I think it can be overcome to win.

4v4 is fine. I would even be okay with 3v3 for later OTs. My preference is 5v5 but I am open minded in general. I suppose I feel more strongly about actual ice play deciding the game as opposed to shootouts. I am fine with that for regular season.

1141now3

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2020, 11:07:36 AM »
The playoffs have been nothing short of outstanding so far, IMO.   That DAL/CGY game last night was awesome.  Here's hoping for a continued clean bill of health and another 6 weeks of this action

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2020, 01:03:07 PM »
The playoffs have been nothing short of outstanding so far, IMO.   That DAL/CGY game last night was awesome.  Here's hoping for a continued clean bill of health and another 6 weeks of this action

Few things tougher to win or more fun to watch than the 16 win grind of playoff hockey.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2020, 10:06:51 AM »
Tukka just up and bounced from Bs 🤦🏼‍♂️

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2020, 01:19:51 PM »
5,640 more NHL bubble tests are in and zero positives.

Multiple series playing the rare back to back days of playoff games today/tonight. One game finished OT after Midnight local time and will return at 8:30pm local time puck drop tonight.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2020, 09:34:07 AM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »
4,644 more tests are in and zero positive tests for COVID-19.

There are four teams remaining in Edmonton, and four remaining in Toronto. Zero positive tests this far for NHL Bubble.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2020, 04:02:59 PM »
Further evidence, despite the confident claims of some here, that bubbles work quite well and are the answer for sports, that can execute them, for the near future

To be fair, I went back to the NBA thread and there was one poster who said it would ‘fail spectacularly.’ Most were hopeful...and far more critical of the MLB plan.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2020, 04:40:08 PM »
So, social distancing, masks, and discipline work?      And not doing these things lead to infections?   Weird.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »
NHL players decided to not play and playoff games today/tonight.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2020, 03:40:17 PM »
NHL players decided to not play and playoff games today/tonight.

Did not expect this. Unfortunately footballs the only one that'd make everyone truly flip out.
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2020, 01:51:25 PM »
2534 COVID-19 test results are in the 6th week of phase four:

Zero positive tests.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »
Tampa Bay has a chance to clinch the Stanley Cup tonight after an OT thriller last night on a goal from Kevin Shattenkirk from Pat Maroon. Series 3-1 Tampa Bay leading Dallas.

Shattenkirk has watched two of his past teams win the past two Stanley Cups, (Washington and St. Louis) Maroon has a chance to win personal back to back Cups after winning it this past season in St. Louis. 

Tampa Bay is seeking its 2nd ever Stanley Cup last winning it in 2003-2004. Dallas is also seeking its second Cup last winning it in 1998-1999.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »
Jon Cooper wins the Stanley Cup as Tampa Bay Lightning Coach. He has now won a Championship at five different levels of hockey. He's literally won everywhere he has been. Not bad for a guy who didn't start coaching hockey until age 32 when he asked to help with his son's team. Amazing. He has had Tampa Bay in the final four 4 of 7 years there and gets a well earned Cup.

Schenn brothers go back to back (Luke and Brayden) as does Maroon.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2020, 10:00:02 AM »
Jon Cooper wins the Stanley Cup as Tampa Bay Lightning Coach. He has now won a Championship at five different levels of hockey. He's literally won everywhere he has been. Not bad for a guy who didn't start coaching hockey until age 32 when he asked to help with his son's team. Amazing. He has had Tampa Bay in the final four 4 of 7 years there and gets a well earned Cup.

Schenn brothers go back to back (Luke and Brayden) as does Maroon.

His story is actually insane. You see some stories of guys who got back into coaching later in life (Matt Nagy and the guy from TD Ameritrade who coached in the UFL and at Coastal Carolina come to mind in football, Craig Robinson in basketball), but they were high level players. Cooper didn’t even play hockey in college or even high Canadian juniors. He was a lacrosse player at Hofstra. And it wasn’t even his son’s team, it was a friend in the legal community’s son who played at Lansing Catholic who he knew from beer league hockey.

In 10 years he went from coaching low level American junior hockey to an NHL gig.  He’s been an insane success wherever he went, so he truly earned it, but man what a journey.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2020, 10:54:45 AM »
His story is actually insane. You see some stories of guys who got back into coaching later in life (Matt Nagy and the guy from TD Ameritrade who coached in the UFL and at Coastal Carolina come to mind in football, Craig Robinson in basketball), but they were high level players. Cooper didn’t even play hockey in college or even high Canadian juniors. He was a lacrosse player at Hofstra. And it wasn’t even his son’s team, it was a friend in the legal community’s son who played at Lansing Catholic who he knew from beer league hockey.

In 10 years he went from coaching low level American junior hockey to an NHL gig.  He’s been an insane success wherever he went, so he truly earned it, but man what a journey.

And he is very well liked. He is an example that you don't need to yell and scream to be successful.

Once upon a time he was coach and GM of the NAHL Junior A  St. Louis Bandits. They won back to back Robertson Cups in 2007-2008. Some of my relatives were a host family for some of the out of town players on the team. One of the players on those teams was local star Pat Maroon. He reunited with Cooper this past season to get another Cup with Tampa. Cooper understands well how to fit different pieces on a team.

Tampa Bay has had good ownership (Jeff Vinik) and management, (Steve Yzerman, Julien Brisebois) committed to winning. Having a lot of good players in their prime. That's important too. They have had several strong seasons and are certainly Cup worthy.