[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson  (Read 3056 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Derrick Wilson
« on: July 14, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »
Over the years this board has been brutal on him, I will say he was quite possibly the MVP tonight, for sure on the D end.  He really was the glue guy all 4 games.
Give Joe Chapmen credit for playing him all the time.  He took Keene out of the game, but Joe took him out as well by double teaming most of the time.  Wilson during
the 4 games showed some explosiveness at the rim and on D that I never saw much of at MU.  Give him credit for his overall improvement.  Of course, I still wonder how
he averaged 19 a game in Sweden. 

AlumKCof93

• All American
Re: Derrick Wilson
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 11:14:11 PM »
He was great tonight.  He’s always been better than he’s gotten credit for which is what happens when you are limited offensively, but his skills and toughness were on display throughout tonight’s game
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 11:14:57 PM »
gotta give him credit. worked his ass off

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 05:58:28 AM »
Derrick Wilson never gave less than 100%, never did anything but represent MU with class.   From a defense, leadership and rebounding standpoint, he was everything you want in a point guard. 

He didn't have a jumpshot.

Because he didn't have a jumpshot, he could not get to the basket because defenders played so far off him.   

The question for me has always been what the other guys didn't do to take the job from him.    Two coaches started him.

And all of the other things that Derrick has always done could now be appreciated because he did not need to run the offense or score.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 02:04:22 PM »
tower:

Derrick lacked more than a jumpshot during his time at MU. He could not break down a defense to create for himself and others, which is a modern PG’s #1 job. He also was a poor finisher and FT shooter, and not a gifted passer.

I appreciate the things he could do well back then, and now. And I agree with you about his effort, D, character, etc. I just don’t want us to revise history.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
Derrick was not brought in to be a starter. He was supposed to be a career back-up and understood that when he signed. It's not his fault he was thrust into a position he wasn't capable of doing but he still brought everything he had.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
Derrick played his role well, and added value to the TBT team.  However, the "MVP" talk/hyperbole is nonsense.  He essentially was invisible in the box score/team stats, etc.

1.5ppg, 0.5 assists per game, 2.5 rebounds, 40% shooting and 50% from FT line.

https://thetournament.com/tbt-2020-schedule?&WHurl=%2Fperson%2F1567657%3F

https://thetournament.com/tbt-2020-schedule?&WHurl=%2Fteam%2F115467%3F

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »
Derrick was not brought in to be a starter. He was supposed to be a career back-up and understood that when he signed. It's not his fault he was thrust into a position he wasn't capable of doing but he still brought everything he had.
Yep, that was quite apparent.  He simply was not a PG and could not shoot.  But, he certainly worked hard, was a great teammate and did other things on and off the court quite well.  Just a square peg in the round PG hole.

leever

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
Derrick was a very good defensive stopper in the TBT.  One of the key players in a great TEAM effort.

It was a constant frustration during his MU time that opposing teams just didn't have to guard him at all.  Playing offense 4 on 5 was hard to watch.  If he did shoot, it wasn't going in - including free throws.  A point guard who can't shoot and can't create for others is tough to watch.

Glad he's found success after MU.  Seems like a good guy and Reps the school well.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »
Derrick was huge the entire tournament. Always been a favorite of mine.

Regarding his MU career: Derrick's weaknesses were amplified by being on teams without many legitimate outside shooting threats. He got there after Hayward, Acker, DJO and Crowder, and before Markus, Rowsey and Sam. The main offensive weapons during his tenure were guys like Vander, Jamil, and Davante - solid players, but not guys who spread the D. The one exception was Carlino, but that was still basically a one-shooter team.

I think of a team like 2016-17, when we had Markus, Rowsey, Reinhardt and Sam to spread the floor, but no solid ballhandler to distribute and not much defense. IMHO Derrick would have been at his best on that type of team...kinda like he showed these past few days.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 05:40:57 PM »
Derrick played his role well, and added value to the TBT team.  However, the "MVP" talk/hyperbole is nonsense.  He essentially was invisible in the box score/team stats, etc.

Derrick was the MVP on defense yesterday, that is it, offensively he did not hurt the team so that was a positive.  The other teams did not take advantage of his
lack of offense.  I would have left him open all day on the outside, the other coaches must have not realized his lack of offensive ability.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 06:09:14 PM »
Derrick was the MVP on defense yesterday, that is it, offensively he did not hurt the team so that was a positive.  The other teams did not take advantage of his
lack of offense.  I would have left him open all day on the outside, the other coaches must have not realized his lack of offensive ability.

Maybe the other side was looking at his stats his pro career. He  averaged 20 points a game last season.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 06:13:03 PM »

It's truly amazing that you played at any level and somehow think contributions are limited to a box score.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 06:13:17 PM »
tower:

Derrick lacked more than a jumpshot during his time at MU. He could not break down a defense to create for himself and others, which is a modern PG’s #1 job. He also was a poor finisher and FT shooter, and not a gifted passer.

I appreciate the things he could do well back then, and now. And I agree with you about his effort, D, character, etc. I just don’t want us to revise history.
Everything came back to lacking that one skill.   If they don't respect the jumper, they play back in the paint.  Driving lanes disappear, along with opportunities to create.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 06:19:12 PM »
Everything came back to lacking that one skill.   If they don't respect the jumper, they play back in the paint.  Driving lanes disappear, along with opportunities to create.

Derrick wasn't a "plus" ballhandler or passer, and he never demonstrated the kind of court vision/sense that good PGs do. He simply was not a skilled offensive player at all. And, yes, him being a poor shooter contributed significantly to that.

I feel bad for "dumping" on Derrick, who obviously was a great teammate and gave his all. As other Scoopers said, it's not his fault that he was being asked to do more than he was capable of doing.

One of a coach's most important jobs, regardless of sport, is giving each of his athletes the best chance to succeed. Neither Buzz nor Wojo did Derrick any favors.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 06:36:21 PM »
Derrick wasn't a "plus" ballhandler or passer, and he never demonstrated the kind of court vision/sense that good PGs do. He simply was not a skilled offensive player at all. And, yes, him being a poor shooter contributed significantly to that.

I feel bad for "dumping" on Derrick, who obviously was a great teammate and gave his all. As other Scoopers said, it's not his fault that he was being asked to do more than he was capable of doing.

One of a coach's most important jobs, regardless of sport, is giving each of his athletes the best chance to succeed. Neither Buzz nor Wojo did Derrick any favors.
I seem to remember Derrick being a good passer and ballhandler. Afterall, he had nearly as many assists as points.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 07:27:20 PM »
Yep, that was quite apparent.  He simply was not a PG and could not shoot.  But, he certainly worked hard, was a great teammate and did other things on and off the court quite well.  Just a square peg in the round PG hole.

I also remember one of Derrick's AAU coach (NY Gauchos) saying to me that Buzz offering Derrick was strategic to try and get someone else from their program, I just don't remember who it was they were after. That was a typical trick NYC AAU programs used: "if you want this guy you have to take that guy too."

But, let's look at the big picture. He could have quit or transferred, but instead, he stayed and played all four years (bridging two coaching staffs), was a great citizen and teammate, graduated, and now represents the alma mater in the TBT.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback