collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 123813 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: K-12 School year?
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2020, 11:50:23 PM »
He steps on his dick every day that he doesn't tell people to wear masks, and wear one himself while in public.  He pays for this with votes every day.

Well Don wore one today in public so can we stop with this annoying talking point now.  Cause no one who hasn’t been wearing one will now all of a sudden wear one starting tomorrow.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2020, 07:43:17 AM »
That’s right, Fauci told you, me, and anyone willing to listen on probably 5 different occasions he did everything they asked him to do.

But if you don’t believe Fauci you wouldn’t be the first person so I understand the skepticism.
Which expert told him to throw away the pandemic plan book that Obama left him?
Which expert told him to disband pandemic team within the security council?
Which expert told him 15 cases would go to zero?
Which expert told him COVID was the Democrats new hoax?
Which expert told him the flu was much worse than coronavirus?
Which expert told him tout an unproven drug as a game changer?*
Which expert told him there was plenty of PPE to go around?
Which expert told him anyone who wants a test can get one?
Which expert told him it was Obama's fault for not leaving him tests...for a virus that hadn't been discovered yet?
Which expert told him it would just go away, like a miracle?
Which expert told him Jared Kushner had the expertise to be put in charge of the response?
Which expert told him he could override Governors' stay at home orders because his "authority is total"?
Which expert told him to contradict the reopening guidelines one day after issuing them?
Which expert told him it would be a good idea to pressure states to reopen whether they met the guidelines or not?
Which expert told him to encourage his armed supporters to "LIBERATE" states to get them to reopen?
Which expert told him Ebola, which killed two people in the U.S., was handled much worse than COVID-19?
Which expert told him injecting disinfectants internally would be a good idea to try?
Which expert told him to say "we have prevailed" over the virus...when the death toll hit 80,000?
Which expert told him to continually push for states to reopen even as the number of cases continued to rise?
Which expert told him to hold an indoor rally in a hotspot?

*Actually we know that one; it was Doctors Hannity and Ingraham, noted public health and infectious disease experts.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2020, 10:26:22 AM »
My wife and I made the decision over the weekend that we are going to home school our three kids this year. It wasn't an easy decision, we talked it through at length, we talked to our kids to get their input and wanted them to be part of the process.

Some context to this, my job has been out of my home for the last seven years. My work has said don't expect to travel through end of Q1 2021. My wife has her degree in teaching (she is a counselor currently and teaches part time at a community college). All that said, her and I still have to do our regular jobs, and structure time with our kids to home school them. This will not be easy.

The flip side is we don't think Covid is just going to go away magically. If there was some type of hybrid in school learning and e-learning, and then Covid hit our school, it'd be a see-saw. My kids and my wife wanted more structure this year. We can't control Covid, but we feel like we'll have control of their education. Also, my oldest son is high risk, and we've been trying hard to minimize his risk since this all started.

None of this is going to be easy, ultimately it came down to us trying to maintain control where we can.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2020, 10:37:54 AM »
Dish, I commend you for your thoughtful decision. This is putting a lot of people in a very tough spot.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »
My wife and I made the decision over the weekend that we are going to home school our three kids this year. It wasn't an easy decision, we talked it through at length, we talked to our kids to get their input and wanted them to be part of the process.

Some context to this, my job has been out of my home for the last seven years. My work has said don't expect to travel through end of Q1 2021. My wife has her degree in teaching (she is a counselor currently and teaches part time at a community college). All that said, her and I still have to do our regular jobs, and structure time with our kids to home school them. This will not be easy.

The flip side is we don't think Covid is just going to go away magically. If there was some type of hybrid in school learning and e-learning, and then Covid hit our school, it'd be a see-saw. My kids and my wife wanted more structure this year. We can't control Covid, but we feel like we'll have control of their education. Also, my oldest son is high risk, and we've been trying hard to minimize his risk since this all started.

None of this is going to be easy, ultimately it came down to us trying to maintain control where we can.

Just curious, would the school allow you back mid-year if they went virtual again? Wondering how schools are handling those that don’t want in person, but would still join for online.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2020, 10:56:47 AM »
The CDC's guidance on schools is common sense. Schools that are trying to open have a seemingly impossible task in front of them.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/7072-school-reopening-packet/b70172f2cc13c9cf0e6a/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

Guiding Principles to in Mind
The more an individual interacts with others, and the longer that interaction, the higher the risk of COVID -19 spread. The risk of COVID -19 spread increases as follows:

General Settings

* Lowest Risk: Faculty and students engage in virtual-only learning options, activities, and events.

* More Risk: Small in-person classes, activities, and events. Individuals remain spaced at least 6 feet apart and do not share objects ( e.g., hybrid virtual and in-person class structures or staggered/rotated scheduling to accommodate smaller class sizes).

* Highest Risk: Full-sized in-person classes, activities, and events. Students are not spaced apart, share classroom materials or supplies, and mix between classes and activities.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »
The CDC's guidance on schools is common sense. Schools that are trying to open have a seemingly impossible task in front of them.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/7072-school-reopening-packet/b70172f2cc13c9cf0e6a/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

Guiding Principles to in Mind
The more an individual interacts with others, and the longer that interaction, the higher the risk of COVID -19 spread. The risk of COVID -19 spread increases as follows:

General Settings

* Lowest Risk: Faculty and students engage in virtual-only learning options, activities, and events.

* More Risk: Small in-person classes, activities, and events. Individuals remain spaced at least 6 feet apart and do not share objects ( e.g., hybrid virtual and in-person class structures or staggered/rotated scheduling to accommodate smaller class sizes).

* Highest Risk: Full-sized in-person classes, activities, and events. Students are not spaced apart, share classroom materials or supplies, and mix between classes and activities.

Trump attacks his own CDC scientists over how to reopen schools safely
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/07/09/trump-attacks-cdc-scientists-over-covid-19-school-reopening-guidelines/5405407002/
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2020, 11:36:05 AM »
Trump attacks his own CDC scientists over how to reopen schools safely
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/07/09/trump-attacks-cdc-scientists-over-covid-19-school-reopening-guidelines/5405407002/

Oh man, who do we believe? Career public health professionals, or politicians? Whatever shall I do?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »
Just curious, would the school allow you back mid-year if they went virtual again? Wondering how schools are handling those that don’t want in person, but would still join for online.

Our school district has yet to finalize or announce what their plan is for the year, so it's a good question, and I'm not sure. We're committing to go the full school year with our kids being home schooled. For next school year, hopefully all is well and they will be back in school.

One big thing that sucks is this was going to be the last year that all three of my kids attended the same school at the same time (I have twins going into fifth, youngest going into first).

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2020, 11:58:46 AM »
Oh man, who do we believe? Career public health professionals, or politicians? Whatever shall I do?
Obviously the media is lying. I was informed on this very site that Trump follows his experts' advice.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2020, 11:59:57 AM »

I had been trusting in the CDC, but now that Chuck Woolery has weighed in, I'm starting to have my doubts.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2020, 12:18:33 PM »
I had been trusting in the CDC, but now that Chuck Woolery has weighed in, I'm starting to have my doubts.

I'm holding out until Wink Martindale weighs in.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »
The dominoes begin to fall....

Citing surging cases, the Los Angeles and San Diego school districts will be remote-only in the fall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/world/coronavirus-updates.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#link-72346533

--------------------

Dish - you and your wife made a difficult decision, but I think it's the right one.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2020, 01:36:31 PM »

Woolery has always been a nut. I love this line in on his Wikipedia page: "For reasons known only known to Woolery, his face now looks like an old catchers mitt."

A better line: "Woolery is a Christian who volunteers in ministry. Woolery has been married four times, and has at least five children." Guess that oath before God wasn't a big deal to him.

He also tweeted:
"Killers in Dayton and El Paso are both connected to the insane Democrats."

"Nutty Nancy Pelosi Defends Sex Pervert John Conyers."

"I have been reluctant to say this, but I think we have a Muslim problem in the White House."

"Iv'e had about all I can take from this Peaceful Religion, that is not a religion at all, Muslims are on the March, Coming to a town near U."

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2020, 07:25:00 PM »
To get back on topic...

MPS released its plan tonight. Not surprising, they accepted the immediate realities and kicked the can down the road just a little bit to be virtual the first month. When they resume (roughly October), they will be 2 on and 3 virtual.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2020/07/13/mps-reopening-plan-virtual-learning-and-gradual-return-classroom/5427236002/

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »
I'm beginning to think things might go well!  I mean, if everyone takes this seriously, helps their children understand the importance of masks, I mean why *wouldn't* it....errr...uh...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/07/15/packed-meeting-utah/

<sob>
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »
Lest we think it's only the rural conservatives who don't like science.

While school districts across California are choosing remote learning to start the school year, the Orange County Board of Education is going a different route. On Monday night, the conservative-leaning board voted on its own guidelines for schools: a return to the old ways, before the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/07/13/oc-board-of-education-votes-to-support-return-to-school-without-social-distancing-masks/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2020, 04:32:04 PM »
Lest we think it's only the rural conservatives who don't like science.

While school districts across California are choosing remote learning to start the school year, the Orange County Board of Education is going a different route. On Monday night, the conservative-leaning board voted on its own guidelines for schools: a return to the old ways, before the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/07/13/oc-board-of-education-votes-to-support-return-to-school-without-social-distancing-masks/

Orange County is kook town.  It's also home to one of the largest anti-vaxx populations in the US.  At some point there will be horrible outbreaks of preventable diseases there.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2020, 06:12:17 PM »
Re school openings:

"The science should not stand in the way of this.”
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1283842082646433792

But hey, I was told here that trump "listens to the experts".

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2020, 07:21:13 PM »
Re school openings:

"The science should not stand in the way of this.”
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1283842082646433792

But hey, I was told here that trump "listens to the experts".

They never said what kind of experts.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2020, 08:21:10 PM »
They never said what kind of experts.
True, I hadn't considered that he might have been referring to "ex-gameshow host experts" like Chuck Woolery.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2020, 08:38:02 PM »
True, I hadn't considered that he might have been referring to "ex-gameshow host experts" like Chuck Woolery.

The same Chuck Woolery who deleted his Twitter account after finding out the Covid19 is real because his son caught it?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2020, 08:38:34 PM »
Orange County is kook town.  It's also home to one of the largest anti-vaxx populations in the US.  At some point there will be horrible outbreaks of preventable diseases there.

I had friends that moved there cause they loved SoCal but didn’t want to be in LA. They left about a year ago and moved to SD where he’s from cause they wanted to start a family and didn’t have any desire to raise their kids in OC. He got into real estate and saw more than enough to make up his mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »
The largest school district in NC, which also happens to be where I live and coach, decided yesterday to do only remote education for the fall semester.

I was hoping we'd be far enough along to do at least some kind of hybrid system, but sadly our statistics have gone the wrong way ever since our economy was opened up some almost 2 months ago.

I have no idea what this means for our basketball season, and I understand that's a minor concern right now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2020, 09:52:17 PM »
The largest school district in NC, which also happens to be where I live and coach, decided yesterday to do only remote education for the fall semester.

I was hoping we'd be far enough along to do at least some kind of hybrid system, but sadly our statistics have gone the wrong way ever since our economy was opened up some almost 2 months ago.

I have no idea what this means for our basketball season, and I understand that's a minor concern right now.

Unfortunate about the numbers, but good of the school district to be proactive. I have a feeling many more will be following very soon.

It’s a terrible thing for the kids, but the right thing for the country.