[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More Ominous Signs for College Sports  (Read 31261 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: More Ominous Signs for College Sports
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »
January, maybe.  We have time to get things under control for that to happen. Do I have confidence that will happen? No.

Agreed.

If everybody in the country began wearing a mask today every single time they are in contact with non-immediate family members, we might have a chance of getting things back under control by early 2021. I don't have confidence that our 'leadership' will require us to go there, or that the American people will go there voluntarily.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »

Agreed.

If everybody in the country began wearing a mask today every single time they are in contact with non-immediate family members, we might have a chance of getting things back under control by early 2021. I don't have confidence that our 'leadership' will require us to go there, or that the American people will go there voluntarily.

There will be no substantial change until at least January. At least.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2020, 08:36:02 PM »
I  think this is what most of us expected - except for the low IQ fools who think Covid will be gone in 2-3 weeks.

Magically.

What wrong with magical thinking?  It’s part of an early stage of brain development?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2020, 08:40:16 PM »
What wrong with magical thinking?  It’s part of an early stage of brain development?

Nothing, as long as you're 3 or 4. If you're 30 or 40 or older, then it's a significant problem.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »
Nothing, as long as you're 3 or 4. If you're 30 or 40 or older, then it's a significant problem.

I kind of suspect that was Shooter’s point.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2020, 10:17:30 PM »
I kind of suspect that was Shooter’s point.

Bingo

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2020, 09:23:34 AM »

Unless that psychic is correct and this Coronavirus just mysteriously disappears at the end of 2020.......

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »

Agreed.

I'm hopeful that the threat of college football being canceled will be enough to motivate the anti-maskers in the South to start wearing masks and taking this seriously, but still realistic enough to know it probably still won't be enough. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2020, 12:30:22 PM »
I'm hopeful that the threat of college football being canceled will be enough to motivate the anti-maskers in the South to start wearing masks and taking this seriously, but still realistic enough to know it probably still won't be enough. 

It won't be.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1281420017142321157?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2020, 12:43:16 PM »

It won't be.

Haha people stormed Normandy against the most Objectively evil truly powerful force in a century so let's put a bunch of college kids in danger and potentially ruin their lungs so they can't live out their dreams
Maigh Eo for Sam

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »
Buccaneers Donovan Smith says playing during coronavirus pandemic is not worth the risk
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29441083/buccaneers-donovan-smith-says-playing-coronavirus-pandemic-not-worth-risk

Tampa Bay Buccaneers starting left tackle Donovan Smith, the man responsible for protecting Super Bowl-winning quarterback Tom Brady's blindside, said Friday morning that, "Risking my health, as well as my family's health, does not seem like a risk worth taking" by playing during the coronavirus pandemic.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »

It won't be.

leave it to Luth Holth to take that stance. The guy against NIL wants to force kids to play during a pandemic for the entertainment of others.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:22:50 PM by Billy Hoyle »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2020, 06:00:31 PM »

Well said.

I would further explain for those who don't understand the difference between 'public health' and the 'healthcare system': the primary goal of public health is to monitor and hopefully prevent illness in order to help people avoid the need to enter the healthcare system. We did a crappy job of monitoring and preventing this illness from spreading, but our healthcare system is doing a good job treating patients once they get there.

The problem is not Trump, not the "healthcare system", it is the American people.  The American people are not compliant, they/we don't care about the common good.

Our ststem is built around ROI, profits, and Wall Street, therefore, doomed to failure.

My wife and I cant get back to Italy.  Why?  Because of the self centered, greedy, fellow Americans,  mostly southern Americans. 

The rest of the world is laughing at us, we with the great for profit healthcare system.  We are over medicated, over tested, over treated and over billed.   The king has no clothes folks.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2020, 06:06:39 PM »
With the current state f affairs, there is no way to fill a stadium - even partially - for a sporting event.   This crap is spreading like wildfire because of carelessness and the nature of the beast.  Our scientists have a battle 9n their hands.  And we are no where near a solution.   Prayers up for that. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
With the current state f affairs, there is no way to fill a stadium - even partially - for a sporting event.   This crap is spreading like wildfire because of carelessness and the nature of the beast.  Our scientists have a battle 9n their hands.  And we are no where near a solution.   Prayers up for that.

Actually we are getting widespread infections because we have a pro-virus party in charge.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2020, 08:38:27 PM »
Multiple players opting out of NBA bubble, MLB season, and now maybe the NFL.
Players in bubbles testing positive.
Seasons being shortened.

Drip, drip, drip.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2020, 11:10:59 PM »

The problem is not Trump, not the "healthcare system", it is the American people.  The American people are not compliant, they/we don't care about the common good.

I agree that the response of the American people has been a huge disappointment and a big part of our failure. But Trump owns part of that because he is constantly showing the 40% who listen him that he doesn't really believe in masks.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2020, 11:41:28 PM »

I agree that the response of the American people has been a huge disappointment and a big part of our failure. But Trump owns part of that because he is constantly showing the 40% who listen him that he doesn't really believe in masks.

No denying this point.  The most ardent supporters of him would own this (I hope, at least).  It is part of the DNA of those who love him. 

Best thing that could happen would be for Obama to ardently support not wearing masks (wink, wink) and have the Trump supporters finally and reflexively support science/intelligence.

Hood wink of the century. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 07:38:18 AM by Shooter McGavin »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2020, 09:13:17 AM »
The reason the Libertarians are so quiet is that you can't defend the indefensable.
Libertarianism is great in theory, in reality you die. 
It is for losers who are contrarians.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2020, 09:23:02 AM »
Does anyone think Marquette will be playing basketball against a non-con in November?

Got a bedder shot at nailin' Kate Upton, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »

Our ststem is built around ROI, profits, and Wall Street, therefore, doomed to failure.

My wife and I cant get back to Italy.  Why?  Because of the self centered, greedy, fellow Americans,  mostly southern Americans. 

The rest of the world is laughing at us, we with the great for profit healthcare system.  We are over medicated, over tested, over treated and over billed.   The king has no clothes folks.

LoL
Blame it on Wall St., what a rube!!  Haven’t you been blaming everything on Wall St. since the late 50’s??
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2020, 09:56:42 AM »
LoL
Blame it on Wall St., what a rube!!  Haven’t you been blaming everything on Wall St. since the late 50’s??

Rube here.
Simple question, why does Wall Street run my local hospital?
Simple answer, profit.

Why does Italy have national healthcare.
Because healthcare is a human value, it is the moral ethical thing to do.  As a young doctor from Belgium said to me, it's fair.

Why did corporate America, AKA Wall Street, switch to 401(k) retirement plans?
To transfer risk and create a business opportunity for Wall Street.

There must be a lot of Rubes in Italy/Europe.

BTW, I am invested in stocks and have a very nice retirement thanks in part to Pres. Ronald Reagan.

As we say, the bulls make money, the bears make money, the hogs make none.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »
Anyone notice that Purdue and Michigan State took down their football schedules in the past 24 hours?  Not seeing any other B1G teams that have done that.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2020, 11:40:00 AM »
Anyone notice that Purdue and Michigan State took down their football schedules in the past 24 hours?  Not seeing any other B1G teams that have done that.

Current schedules showed 9 conference games. The goal now is 10.  So it’s more than likely that schedules will be adjusted beyond simply pulling off the non conf.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2020, 07:42:49 PM »
Current schedules showed 9 conference games. The goal now is 10.  So it’s more than likely that schedules will be adjusted beyond simply pulling off the non conf.

The goal is 10 but dates and opponents are going to be revisited. Shorter trips prioritized.

Some interesting rumblings from people I’ve talked to from within the Big Ten:
-possible home and home meetings
-at least three schools talking about not playing (Rutgers won’t be missed)
-schedules adjusted later in the season based on standings or risk levels.