[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Top of Reddit's /r/CollegeBasketball - "Recruits shouldn't come to Marquette"  (Read 7485 times)

dgies9156

• All American
The man on whose philosophy our university was founded taught a profound view: Love God. Love your neighbor as yourself. As humans, we won't be perfect but as Catholics and Christians, we orient ourselves toward the goal of appreciating all of God's children. Our imperfection inevitably leads to racism and bigotry but our commitment to Jesus calls on all of us to improve.

The big concern that many who feel excluded have is that after 50 years of social change, we've included diverse social, racial and ethnic groups in the mainstream of American life but we have not accepted them. You can legislate, regulate and litigate inclusion. You cannot force acceptance. That comes from within, whether it be from a theological or sociological prospective.

I admit, politically I'm right of center. I think of myself as socially liberal and economically conservative. I'm one of those people that believe bigotry and racism is economic. If we can produce the heck out of what we have, using our collective talents, our social and economic problems in this country will be mitigated. We can do better but to do so means making a true commitment to teaching someone how to fish rather than feeding them a fish. I suspect this is the real answer to what many who've peacefully protested this year really want.

P.S. -- Athletes can say anything they want. They're Americans too and entitled to First Amendment protection!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:54:31 PM by dgies9156 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
" bigoted tendencies"

"please please sir, i want some more"  old people dumb eyn na?

If you're more comfortable with me just calling old people bigots, I can do that.  Didn't want to harm your fragile sensibilities the first go around.

Hards Alumni

• All American
The man on whose philosophy our university was founded taught a profound view: Love God. Love your neighbor as yourself. As humans, we won't be perfect but as Catholics and Christians, we orient ourselves toward the goal of appreciating all of God's children. Our imperfection inevitably leads to racism and bigotry but our commitment to Jesus calls on all of us to improve.

The big concern that many who feel excluded have is that after 50 years of social change, we've included diverse social, racial and ethnic groups in the mainstream of American life but we have not accepted them. You can legislate, regulate and litigate inclusion. You cannot force acceptance. That comes from within, whether it be from a theological or sociological prospective.

I admit, politically I'm right of center. I think of myself as socially liberal and economically conservative. I'm one of those people that believe bigotry and racism is economic. If we can produce the heck out of what we have, using our collective talents, our social and economic problems in this country will be mitigated. We can do better but to do so means making a true commitment to teaching someone how to fish rather than feeding them a fish. I suspect this is the real answer to what many who've peacefully protested this year really want.

P.S. -- Athletes can say anything they want. They're Americans too and entitled to First Amendment protection!

Hey look, a reasonable conservative!  I think you hit a couple of very important points.  We can disagree about how to GET places, but we should agree on the place we are trying to get to.  But you gotta drag a few of your other fellow conservatives with you!  Being afraid of/looking down on the 'other' has been our country's biggest failing since it's inception.  As a society, we need to atone for our past, better understand our present, and work towards a better future for everyone.  And our legislation should reflect that.

feedback