[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Top of Reddit's /r/CollegeBasketball - "Recruits shouldn't come to Marquette"  (Read 7486 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
My time at Marquette University was filled with overt and casual racism. Now years later, similar to CBB/CFB message boards across the country, the Marquette Scout/247 board has been overrun by racist boomers doing nothing but complaining about and openly mocking the social justice movement. They stated just recently that the Big East putting BLM patches on jerseys is "the inmates running the asylum" - which was echoed and celebrated by every single other poster in the forum. They have been having daily open circle jerks that are essentially celebrations of bigotry, xenophobia, and racism. Not one person spoke up against any of it it. I'm not going to be a part of this fanbase or this university anymore. If you are a POC, I encourage you to go elsewhere. F**k Marquette.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/hkq36h/ive_had_enough_with_the_racism_in_my_fanbase/

Strongly felt by that poster, and hits close to home in a lot of fan-bases judging by the comments. We should all take this opportunity to be better.

#UnleashSean

• All American

4everwarriors

• All American
There might be a dozen reasons not to attend MU, but this isn't one of them, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
There might be a dozen reasons not to attend MU, but this isn't one of them, hey?

The Scout forum? Solid yes. The worst skeleton that any school has in their closet.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 09:25:16 PM by Skatastrophy »

jesmu84

• All American

It's clear to at least one person (and hopefully not any recruits) that this is a BIG reason not to attend MU.

If a highly ranked recruit wants to attend MU, but doesn't because of message board opinions about BLM, how do you feel about that?

Pakuni

• All American
It's clear to at least one person (and hopefully not any recruits) that this is a BIG reason not to attend MU.

If a highly ranked recruit wants to attend MU, but doesn't because of message board opinions about BLM, how do you feel about that?

I'm skeptical that many recruits are scanning reddit for advice on where they should attend, or would take the word of an anonymous redditor over actual Marquette players.

jesmu84

• All American
I'm skeptical that many recruits are scanning reddit for advice on where they should attend, or would take the word of an anonymous redditor over actual Marquette players.

I'm not talking about reddit, necessarily.

But what if a recruit or their friends or family stumble onto scout/247/scoop thread about BLM and find the arguments going on? Lots of different things are priorities to different recruits.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
I'm not talking about reddit, necessarily.

But what if a recruit or their friends or family stumble onto scout/247/scoop thread about BLM and find the arguments going on? Lots of different things are priorities to different recruits.

They might be happy. I think a large majority here support BLM.

Hards Alumni

• All American

If you're a CBB recruit you probably have a sub to /r/collegebasketball.

If we lose a recruit over a post like this, I'm fine with it.  It is one person's experience, and they're probably not wrong... but they're very reactionist.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/hkq36h/ive_had_enough_with_the_racism_in_my_fanbase/

Strongly felt by that poster, and hits close to home in a lot of fan-bases judging by the comments. We should all take this opportunity to be better.

First time over there in a decade or more to see what this guy was talking a about. One thread, 12 posts by the same small group. Hardly representative of our fan base. Someone is trying to be too “woke.”
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Every fanbase has their Ners-like fans they have to overcome.  We're in good company in that regard.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
First time over there in a decade or more to see what this guy was talking a about. One thread, 12 posts by the same small group. Hardly representative of our fan base. Someone is trying to be too “woke.”

Not 11 posts writing a reply?

forgetful

• All American

I'm sure the politics board over there has had a negative impact on some recruits. It's not a good representation of the University. Although it is dominated by a small group of individuals, the permissive nature of that type of rhetoric presents an image that the University itself will look the other way.

It suggests that the University culture, may not align with an individuals personal beliefs or the type of community they want to be part of.

reinko

• All American
I haven’t been to that board in years, yikes.  At least the Q Anon folks there have a safe space.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Poster won't go to "Scoop because of the relentless homophobia and bigotry)."

WTF is that guy talking about.    I guess "relentless" means one guy, currently banned, who posted a two-letter trigger phrase. 

4everwarriors

• All American
#FreeBeeJay
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Johnny B

• All American

WTF is that guy talking about.    I guess "relentless" means one guy, currently banned, who posted a two-letter trigger phrase.
Sometimes crap gets hyper exaggerated and spreads every where. Another problem today. Utter non sense

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

Only one post in that whole thread mentioned Scoop, so I think that's pretty good. That being said, bigoted stuff gets posted frequently here. It's not "so bad that it needs to get moderated," but it's a sign that some of the aging audience here isn't keeping up with the times. Regarding BLM, for one. But an oft-discussed topic: the Warriors (literally the logo of the board) is tough to stomach for a lot of people these days. Personally: I still wear my warriors shirts, but I feel a little guilty about it.

I think that forums, in general, suffer from comments being ranked chronologically instead of by voting which doesn't allow for community moderation. If we could downvote the crap I think there would be less of a perceived problem as the worst comments would end up below the karma threshold. As it stands, if someone posts stuff (like 4ever calling BLM Inc 'a racist organization') the only way an outsider knows that we understand that type of comment is on the wrong side of history is if it gets moderated or if a bunch of posters call him out. That doesn't happen 100% of the time on forums.

TL;DR: Tough problem to solve, you guys are doing a fine job.

tower912

• All American
Dodds pulled the plug on his political board today.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American

Tough week for Ners, first the subreddit The_Donald and now this.  T&Ps intramural dunker.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

That seems very consistent with him as a person.  The line is always on whether or not a message board hurts the program.

forgetful

• All American
That seems very consistent with him as a person.  The line is always on whether or not a message board hurts the program.

I wonder if there was any push/pressure from the administration or program.

tower912

• All American
Dodds always says that his name is on the board.   The political board drawing negative attention to something with his name on it was the final nail.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
I was stunned to see that John Glaser is still alive and posting.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

real chili 83

• All American
ND sucks

feedback