[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fans at games  (Read 8433 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Fans at games
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2020, 01:55:29 PM »
Ewe wuz a lot junger den two, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2020, 04:16:14 PM »
I am not saying I want to go back to the old arena, but my best years as a fan were at the old arena.

Most definitely. I understand why they never will (or should) move back there, but it would be cool if they could use it for an occasional preseason or buy game.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2020, 11:42:57 AM »
You can%u2019t go home again. Get over it. No Arena. Not now. Not ever. And I saw more than 10 years of games there.

Without Marquette basketball in person, what is the point of winter?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2020, 12:34:48 PM »
I don't see a down side with this plan

Isn’t our season ticket base larger than the capacity of the Arena? My best undergrad basketball memory was at the Arena (USF NIT game) but financial considerations outweigh everything here.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2020, 02:42:21 PM »
Ewe wuz a lot junger den two, hey?

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2020, 03:32:10 PM »
Isn’t our season ticket base larger than the capacity of the Arena?

Yes, at least before this year.

And nostalgia of middle-aged and elderly alums aside, the arena is a piece of crap, especially compared to the Fiserv.  It won't prompt any recruits to commit, and would straight up turn off a lot of them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 03:35:20 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2020, 04:59:22 PM »
Isn’t our season ticket base larger than the capacity of the Arena? My best undergrad basketball memory was at the Arena (USF NIT game) but financial considerations outweigh everything here.

They did play a game at the AL once. It was kind of fun? The nit at the AL though? That was awesome.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2020, 07:40:46 PM »

And nostalgia of middle-aged and elderly alums aside, the arena is a piece of crap, especially compared to the Fiserv.  It won't prompt any recruits to commit, and would straight up turn off a lot of them.

The place was a dump when I went to school there.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »

You speak the absolute truth. On all counts. We will be a mid-major in that arena.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2020, 08:25:28 PM »
They did play a game at the AL once. It was kind of fun? The nit at the AL though? That was awesome.

The buy game at the AL (Alabama A&M, I think) had some fun nostalgia to it, but was definitely a mistake since the NCAA originally told them it wouldn't count toward their attendance figures and instead it cost them in the rankings. Not that it's a huge deal, but I think we lost a top-10 attendance streak because of that game.

The NIT at the AL, on the other hand, was awesome. Those games were full of energy and a ton of fun. But those were hot tickets. It wouldn't be nearly sustainable on a regular basis. In a perfect world, a campus-adjacent arena that sat around 13-14k would be ideal. Big enough to accommodate most STHs, small enough that it would still have a potent home court atmosphere.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2020, 09:23:17 PM »
For what it’s worth, the official MU schedule has the games at FF.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2020, 07:35:36 AM »
Not to mention they practiced there last week.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »
I go to UWM games at the Arena.  It sucks in every way compared to FF.  An empty FF is still a nice recruiting tool.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2020, 09:23:02 AM »
I go to UWM games at the Arena.  It sucks in every way compared to FF.  An empty FF is still a nice recruiting tool.

Right.  This idea that MU would save gobs of money playing at the Al I don't think is based in reality.  Some?  Sure.  But playing in FF is what helps draw some player to MU anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2020, 10:29:28 AM »
I've heard the Arena always smells like elephants from the circus, you can't get rid of that smell.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2020, 11:39:28 AM »
I've heard the Arena always smells like elephants from the circus, you can't get rid of that smell.

Plus the pall of Pall Mall coated to the rafters.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »
Several years ago we played UWM at the arena as part of their schedule and we almost got beat. 

As to remembering games at the arena for which I remember season tickets since 1965, I remember a few games at the old gym and definitely more than a few at the auditorium.  Especially when we played a great Notre Dame team there.  My Dad took us to those early games. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2020, 01:06:32 PM »
Several years ago we played UWM at the arena as part of their schedule and we almost got beat. 

That was the last time I was there as well. MU blew an 18 point lead and barely held on.

The '95 NIT game was my first game there. Amazing atmosphere that night.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »
That was the last time I was there as well. MU blew an 18 point lead and barely held on.

The '95 NIT game was my first game there. Amazing atmosphere that night.

One of the best home games in the KO and forward era of MU hoops.  The success of TC & Buzz makes us NCAA or bust but our renaissance was new so heading to NYC for the NIT Final Four felt like something was accomplished, especially after graduating Damon, Mac + Robb.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »
One of the best home games in the KO and forward era of MU hoops.  The success of TC & Buzz makes us NCAA or bust but our renaissance was new so heading to NYC for the NIT Final Four felt like something was accomplished, especially after graduating Damon, Mac + Robb.

I've always heard most people thought that season was disappointing after a sweet 16.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »
I’d think they want to play at FF, assuming cost considerations aren’t major, if only to keep the routine of game days as normal as possible and stay most comfortable and consistent with the different sight lines, etc.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2020, 10:11:27 AM »
I've gotta believe that the only reason they'd play any games at the FF without fans would be because they're contractually obligated to pay.  Otherwise, they'd be playing at the AL.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2020, 10:25:49 AM »
I’d think they want to play at FF, assuming cost considerations aren’t major, if only to keep the routine of game days as normal as possible and stay most comfortable and consistent with the different sight lines, etc.

But if most practices are at the AL, wouldn't the players be even more familiar with the sightlines there? And remember that other BE teams have never played there.

Seems like any home court advantage would be even bigger at the AL.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
But if most practices are at the AL, wouldn't the players be even more familiar with the sightlines there? And remember that other BE teams have never played there.

Seems like any home court advantage would be even bigger at the AL.

Pretty sure they play in the underground gym not the main one. Seems like that's where all the videos are taken
Maigh Eo for Sam