[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Should it be 21?

21! I never drank before I turned 21
6 (8.8%)
18 all the kids are doing it anyways plus the rest of the world
14 (20.6%)
19 keep it out of high schools
38 (55.9%)
18 for beer, wine, cider, etc. 21 for the hard stuff.
4 (5.9%)
Remove it entirely! I'm an anarchist
4 (5.9%)
Drinking should be outlawed entirely.
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Drinking Age  (Read 6554 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Drinking Age
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2020, 11:56:34 AM »
You can't get clinically diagnosed as "insane".  That's a legal term, not a medical term.   :)

I think I might get clinically diagnosed as illiterate today!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2020, 12:55:37 PM »
It's interesting that so many people are " keep it out of high school" people is that because of the idea that it'd trickle down to the 14 and 15yr olds? Or do we feel that an 18yr old senior is really that much less mature than an 18yr old freshman?

Or is it because parents just don't wanna deal with they're kids coming home wasted when they're still in the house?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2020, 01:53:26 PM »
You can't get clinically diagnosed as "insane".  That's a legal term, not a medical term.   :)

Correct. The proper medical term is "crazy."  ;)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »

Correct. The proper medical term is "crazy."  ;)

Have some patience, FFS.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2020, 02:13:56 PM »
Getting drunk is a fad.

For some, for others it progresses and ends in death.

IF YOU DIE FROM IT, AND IT'S NOT AN ACCIDENT, IT'S A DESEASE.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2020, 04:11:19 PM »
It's interesting that so many people are " keep it out of high school" people is that because of the idea that it'd trickle down to the 14 and 15yr olds? Or do we feel that an 18yr old senior is really that much less mature than an 18yr old freshman?

Or is it because parents just don't wanna deal with they're kids coming home wasted when they're still in the house?
All of the above.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2020, 09:24:05 PM »
When can you vote ... 18. When can you die for your country ... 18. Let 'em drink. They are adults.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2020, 11:51:58 PM »
I've lived in enough countries outside the US where there is either no age or no enforcement that I think 18 is no problem.  I also agree with the vote/war/drink logic.  There's some sense to the beer/cider/other low alcohol logic under 21 but to me what's more sensible is really pushing the responsible drinking aspect which is much easier now with uber and other ride sharing apps.

What has always baffled me as a Wisconsinite is the rural bars where people get plowed and then drive their pickup trucks home as if they are invisible because they are in the middle of nowhere. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2020, 07:11:20 AM »
What about a rule that says it is 18 if you have a high school diploma or are active military, and 21 otherwise?

It would help keep the booze out of the high schools, acknowledge the military angle, and also discourage dropping out.
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2020, 07:29:05 AM »
Drink at 18 get your driving license at 21.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2020, 08:15:28 AM »
What about a rule that says it is 18 if you have a high school diploma or are active military, and 21 otherwise?

It would help keep the booze out of the high schools, acknowledge the military angle, and also discourage dropping out.

Would you have the DMV add a sticker as proof? Or would you have people bring their HS diploma to the Bar?
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2020, 09:09:16 AM »
Would you have the DMV add a sticker as proof? Or would you have people bring their HS diploma to the Bar?

Perhaps the state department of education could have a card of its own that proves the person is a high school graduate.  Maybe charge $50 or $100 for it and put the profit towards education.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2020, 09:13:27 AM »
Perhaps the state department of education could have a card of its own that proves the person is a high school graduate.  Maybe charge $50 or $100 for it and put the profit towards education.

Interesting idea. I can't see a downside though of course some people would say it's rigged toward a certain culture that emphasizes education.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2020, 09:50:59 AM »

Nah, we should just chip the kids!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2020, 05:25:50 PM »

Or a cheaper and quicker version: when you walk across the stage to get your HS diploma, someone slips one of those tyvek bar wristbands on your wrist.  8-)

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2020, 04:07:57 PM »
Edited for your option. Not sure I agree with your option but I could see an argument for no age with parent present.

Wisconsin currently allows bars/restaurants to serve "kids" under 21 booze if a parent is present.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »
Wisconsin currently allows bars/restaurants to serve "kids" under 21 booze if a parent is present.

arms length

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »

Still? I remember this being the case when I was 14 at Capitol Grill visiting my sister but when I worked at Brothers they trained us that we were not to allow any exceptions based on this rule and I thought I recalled reading only a handful were still allowing it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »
Still? I remember this being the case when I was 14 at Capitol Grill visiting my sister but when I worked at Brothers they trained us that we were not to allow any exceptions based on this rule and I thought I recalled reading only a handful were still allowing it.

I am pretty sure it is at each bar/restaurant's discretion.

My experience is that it is rare for a City of Milwaukee bar to allow it.  I thought it was only at the more corporate places, but I tried to buy Chick jr. an ice cream drink at Bryant's 3 weeks before her 21st birthday, and they weren't having it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2020, 04:46:54 PM »
I am pretty sure it is at each bar/restaurant's discretion.

My experience is that it is rare for a City of Milwaukee bar to allow it.  I thought it was only at the more corporate places, but I tried to buy Chick jr. an ice cream drink at Bryant's 3 weeks before her 21st birthday, and they weren't having it.

Correct, it's up to the private establishment with the liquor license who they want to serve or not.