[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA moving towards allowing NIL  (Read 21649 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: NCAA moving towards allowing NIL
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2020, 05:12:28 PM »
New lawsuit against the NCAA and the Power 5. This is major, major shyte.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/06/15/ncaa-lawsuit-over-athletes-images-likeness-puts-big-money-stake/3189283001/

Between this kind of stuff, and the new legislation passed in Florida that compensates athletes for NIL starting only 13 months from now, NCAA leaders need to stop whining, posing and pretending, and start crafting a plan that will pass the muster.

NCAA basketball and football without Florida and California schools would be quite a product to try to market to the networks, and numerous other states also are ready to rock and roll with NIL plans.

Yup, this is over
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MU82

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2020, 06:30:08 PM »
They aren't the only ones who need to stop whining.

Pot meet kettle.

Please provide evidence of me "whining" about this NIL issue.

Yup, this is over

Yup. Some folks are hoping for a Hail Mary that will keep shamateurism the way it's been, but I'm pretty sure everybody knows it's too late for that. Florida's law takes effect in July 2021.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2020, 08:34:29 PM »
Please provide evidence of me "whining" about this NIL issue.
University presidents would ask the exact same question of you.

Move on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2020, 09:38:09 PM »
University presidents would ask the exact same question of you.

Except several of us have provided evidence of university officials whining.

Less whining from them, and more solving the problem ... or the politicians will solve it in ways they will not like.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2020, 10:09:19 PM »
Except several of us have provided evidence of university officials whining.

Less whining from them, and more solving the problem ... or the politicians will solve it in ways they will not like.
Well, you are smarter,  more educated and significantly more accomplished than university presidents.

Let it play out and move on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2020, 10:23:41 PM »
Well, you are smarter,  more educated and significantly more accomplished than university presidents.

Let it play out and move on.

I am a realist.

I hadn't even addressed you in this thread. Do you like it when fellow Scoopers tell you what to do? If so ... move on.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
I am a realist.

I hadn't even addressed you in this thread. Do you like it when fellow Scoopers tell you what to do? If so ... move on.
I've listened to others.  I've moved on. Good luck.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2020, 07:39:30 AM »
I've listened to others.  I've moved on. Good luck.

Really?  You literally called out another poster for whining.  How have you moved on?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2020, 01:52:17 PM »

Really?  You literally called out another poster for whining.  How have you moved on?

So, has calling out other posters become your Raison d'être to be on Scoop? Doing it pretty often lately. Might want to put in your application to be a mod.

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2020, 01:59:32 PM »

So, has calling out other posters become your Raison d'être to be on Scoop? Doing it pretty often lately. Might want to put in your application to be a mod.

Ooo...someone's a little sensitive!!!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorDentist

• Walk-On
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2020, 03:35:34 PM »
The thing is, while NIL may hit the colleges' coffers a bit, it will also lead to the ability to retain more players. It will give them the financial ability to provide offers to keep the RJ Hampton, Lamelo Ball, Jalen Green types. But also to retain any fringe NBA or Europe types like Vander Blue or Brendan Bailey.

NIL will almost certainly increase the talent level and player retention ability.

This is the most level headed take on the topic.

The NCAA’s hand is being forced from both an economic and public opinion standpoint. From and economic standpoint, the writing is on the wall; someone will be paying 18-22 year olds to play basketball in the near future. 1 and done is going away, the G league is paying 500k, and foreign leagues are becoming more popular. Top players have more choices than ever of where to play after high school. The NCAA has already given players ever non financial benefit imaginable. If they want to continue to retain the best, they are going to need to start paying.

From a public opinion standpoint the tide has turned and now the public believes it is wrong these players aren’t getting paid. See the states creating laws as evidence.

The NCAA is hoping paying players through NIL is enough and that they won’t have to start paying them directly.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2020, 04:20:30 PM »

Ooo...someone's a little sensitive!!!

Amused more than sensitive.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2020, 05:22:28 PM »
The thing is, while NIL may hit the colleges' coffers a bit, it will also lead to the ability to retain more players. It will give them the financial ability to provide offers to keep the RJ Hampton, Lamelo Ball, Jalen Green types. But also to retain any fringe NBA or Europe types like Vander Blue or Brendan Bailey.

NIL will almost certainly increase the talent level and player retention ability.

I agree except I don't know that it will decrease coffers. The whole point of advertising is to increase business. These businesses will pay athletes because they feel it will be a benefit to their bottom line, only.

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »
So apparently the NCAA lobbying efforts were so effective that Marco Rubio has introduced a bill telling the NCAA to get going on NIL.  ::)

I guess they will get their uniform standard instead of a patchwork of state bills, but they can't stall any longer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/06/18/sen-marco-rubio-introduce-bill-addressing-name-image-likeness/3210488001/

"Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said he is planning to introduce a bill Thursday that would require the NCAA to make rule changes regarding college athletes’ ability to make money from their name, image and likeness and give the association protection from legal challenges to the new regulations.

The NCAA has said it plans to loosen its rules pertaining to athletes’ name, image and likeness, with the changes to be voted on at its annual convention in January 2021 and become effective at the start of the 2021-22 academic year.

According to a copy of the bill provided to USA TODAY Sports, Rubio’s measure would force the NCAA to establish a new setup no later than June 30, 2021."

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2020, 08:17:02 AM »
So apparently the NCAA lobbying efforts were so effective that Marco Rubio has introduced a bill telling the NCAA to get going on NIL.  ::)

I guess they will get their uniform standard instead of a patchwork of state bills, but they can't stall any longer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/06/18/sen-marco-rubio-introduce-bill-addressing-name-image-likeness/3210488001/

"Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said he is planning to introduce a bill Thursday that would require the NCAA to make rule changes regarding college athletes’ ability to make money from their name, image and likeness and give the association protection from legal challenges to the new regulations.

The NCAA has said it plans to loosen its rules pertaining to athletes’ name, image and likeness, with the changes to be voted on at its annual convention in January 2021 and become effective at the start of the 2021-22 academic year.

According to a copy of the bill provided to USA TODAY Sports, Rubio’s measure would force the NCAA to establish a new setup no later than June 30, 2021."

Hard pass

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2020, 08:38:36 AM »
Yeah, the more I read about it the more it's a bullsh*t law.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2020, 08:46:38 AM »
Yeah, the more I read about it the more it's a bullsh*t law.

For a free market conservative, it’s very restrictive.  Disappointed in Little Marco.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2020, 10:07:56 AM »
Whether or not some of us like Rubio's proposed law, it is yet another signal that NCAA honchos had better stop stalling and had better put something together if they want even a little control over the situation.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2020, 05:03:35 PM »
UnderArmour trying to get out of deal with UCLA. Coincidence?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2020, 11:02:15 PM »
UnderArmour trying to get out of deal with UCLA. Coincidence?

That is a lot of clams at stake.

feedback