[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Akanno shows out in scrimmage against NBA players  (Read 20824 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Akanno shows out in scrimmage against NBA players
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2020, 09:38:11 AM »
IIRC....   he was on a not great, not well exposed travel team.    He became known because he was able to slow down Nico Mannion.    Then he had the one-on-one video class from Steve Nash.    Now, two years later, having red-shirted his first year, he is showing athleticism and skill greater than anticipated.      So, a late bloomer?    Under the radar 3 star who made the most of his RS year?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »
Does Wade have a connection to Akanno?

I believe Akanno's coming out party was in a game against Zaire Wade that Dwyane was in attendance for. Some talk that he may have tipped the staff off to Dexter's potential.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
I hafta admit that I'm falling for the Dex hype!

I so want there to be a season for obvious reasons (and a multitude of them), but right near the top of the list is I want to see our 3D Attack: Dex, DJ and Dawson!

Well done 82.  I agree.

Dexter certainly appears to have a higher ceiling than probably any of us thought at the time of his recruitment.  Seems to have great intangibles and leadership qualities too.

IIRC....   he was on a not great, not well exposed travel team.    He became known because he was able to slow down Nico Mannion.    Then he had the one-on-one video class from Steve Nash.    Now, two years later, having red-shirted his first year, he is showing athleticism and skill greater than anticipated.      So, a late bloomer?    Under the radar 3 star who made the most of his RS year?

This was my recollection as well. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2020, 11:54:05 AM »
Agree completely with both you and Lenny. Froling sounded like 2-year Ellenson, Bailey hype was definitely leaked by staff, and the Lewis comments also seemed a bit much for a freshman who hasn't hit campus yet.

I think of Froling and Bailey similarly, two guys who were big time 3 point shooters whose shot failed them when the bright lights came on. Markus, Sam and Rowsey were the opposite.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/osimplis/status/1292939299550146566?s=21

More Dex stuff

This kid or now man, looks like an NBA player right now, have to be impressed.  Has range on his shot, drive to the hoop, and finish strong, real strong.  I think it will
be hard to keep him out of the starting line-up!   Carton, Koby, Dex, Garcia and Theo.  Or Cain instead of Koby.  Practice if there is practice will be interesting.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2020, 09:33:43 AM »
I think of Froling and Bailey similarly, two guys who were big time 3 point shooters whose shot failed them when the bright lights came on.

Bailey was a 36% three point shooter at the HS level. The fact that he was hyped up as a deadeye shooter was always suspect to me.

And brew is 100% right about the hype coming from the staff. "Brendan is a pro, we'll probably get two years from him" is the report I got from someone close to the staff.

I guess they were kinda right?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2020, 09:48:19 AM »
Bailey was a 36% three point shooter at the HS level. The fact that he was hyped up as a deadeye shooter was always suspect to me.

And brew is 100% right about the hype coming from the staff. "Brendan is a pro, we'll probably get two years from him" is the report I got from someone close to the staff.

Being a little older, Bailey will have to work his ass off to even sniff the NBA.  Does nothing over the top on the court.  Nice player but needed 2 more years, then maybe.  But if Juan Anderson made the pros, anything can happen.  I would assume nobody on this board thought he would make the league. and he did.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2020, 09:55:34 AM »

I mean, Bailey did make 46 threes with 38.3% accuracy. I don't know if that is considered "deadeye" but he was a very good three point shooter as a sophomore. But yeah, the rest of his game fell short of advertisement. I heard similar things about him in practice. Some players are stars in practice but can't perform on the big stage. We saw flashes of it (usually in games we lost) but he disappeared way too often. Wouldn't be surprised if he puts all together in a few years and has a very nice overseas career or even a cup of coffee in the NBA.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2020, 03:12:52 AM »
This kid or now man, looks like an NBA player right now, have to be impressed.  Has range on his shot, drive to the hoop, and finish strong, real strong.  I think it will
be hard to keep him out of the starting line-up!   Carton, Koby, Dex, Garcia and Theo.  Or Cain instead of Koby.  Practice if there is practice will be interesting.

Agree he also stood out in the intra squad scrimmage last year and In Dexter’s preseason game last year Dexter had the best +|- Ratio on the team! Dexter plays awesome offense and tough defense!

whitykj

• Starter
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/osimplis/status/1292939299550146566?s=21

More Dex stuff

Man, whenever we get playing again if the starting backcourt isn't D.J. and Dex from day 1 the staff is smoking something.  I know Koby is a senior and everything but damn.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »
Dex looks very impressive. Big, agile, quick, strong, great first step, nice handles, nice jumper, some court vision. Obviously we've just seen a few clips but he seems like a sleeper. The starting lineup will be interesting, whenever that is sorted out. I'm just hoping DJ will be around for a season.

feedback