collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Viper
[Today at 06:47:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Biggest Single Sports Play  (Read 5779 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Biggest Single Sports Play
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 01:19:46 PM »
Holmgren did pull Majkowski the game previous to the Bengals, where they were getting rolled by Tampa. That was Favre’s in infamous first completion to himself from a batted pass.

Favre did nothing of legend that day. But next week against the Bengals, the legend began 😀

I remembered Favre coming in and telling friends the next day "Farve is going to be the next great NFL QB" even though I was not a Packers fan.  I thought Majkowski had gotten injured but his is the article I used in the original post when checking to see if my 28 year old memory was correct:  https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/13/brett-favre-debut-book-excerpt-mark-beech-the-peoples-team-green-bay-packers#:~:text=In%20an%20excerpt%20from%20his,started%20the%20season%200%2D2.

Mark Beech details Brett Favre's debut game on Sept. 20, 1992, when he entered in the first quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals and led the Packers to a 24-23 victory after they started the season 0-2.

Either way, it was a decision that changed the course of NFL history and the Packers franchise.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »
Thomas Hearns breaking his hand in round 1 against Hagler but kept on boxing 2 more rounds. That round 1 was amazing.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2020, 03:36:27 PM »
Franco Harris' Immaculate Reception.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 03:43:27 PM »
Franco Harris' Immaculate Reception.

I was thinking that. Remarkable play.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2020, 04:37:43 PM »
Gibson's two world series homers.

Flutie.

Gibson hit the hardest ball I've ever seen live- Home Run for the Tigers at the old Yankee Stadium, and also made greatest catch i've ever seen live- in the 88 playoffs against the Mets. Bear in mind he made this catch on one leg on a field covered with ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smD0P6NZ7jE

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
Gibson hit the hardest ball I've ever seen live- Home Run for the Tigers at the old Yankee Stadium, and also made greatest catch i've ever seen live- in the 88 playoffs against the Mets. Bear in mind he made this catch on one leg on a field covered with ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smD0P6NZ7jE

Kirk never played at the old Yankee Stadium. The Stadium was rebuilt in 1973 and reopened in 1976. The playing area was considerably smaller after renovation. The Old Stadium was 299 down right field line, 401 right center, 463 center, 457 left center and 301 left field line.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2020, 05:55:15 PM »
Holmgren didn’t bench Majkowski that game. He had a significant ankle injury, and had to be helped off the field. He wasn’t putting any weight on it. And pretty sure injury was in the first half

It was 1992 also.

The one and only game I attended at Lambeau. Shouts to Terrell Buckley for being the MVP of that game.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2020, 05:59:43 PM »
The one and only game I attended at Lambeau. Shouts to Terrell Buckley for being the MVP of that game.

Punt return for a TD but also a fumble

I was so in the tank for TBuck
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »
Holmgren did pull Majkowski the game previous to the Bengals, where they were getting rolled by Tampa. That was Favre’s in infamous first completion to himself from a batted pass.

Favre did nothing of legend that day. But next week against the Bengals, the legend began 😀

I was at County Stadium that day because the Brewers were in the AL East race. Majik went out injured as I pulled into the stadium and they were keeping the crowd updated on that old black and white scoreboard.

All of the sudden there was an odd cheer at an odd time. It came from the people listening to the Packer game on the radio. That’s when he hit Taylor’s for the touchdown.  I think the Brewers won too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2020, 06:43:40 PM »
Kirk never played at the old Yankee Stadium. The Stadium was rebuilt in 1973 and reopened in 1976. The playing area was considerably smaller after renovation. The Old Stadium was 299 down right field line, 401 right center, 463 center, 457 left center and 301 left field line.

By "old Yankee stadium" i was obviously refereeing to the park that existed until 2009 when the current "new Yankee stadium" was built across the street.
i guess if you want to talk about the pre 1976 renovated Yankee stadium that would be "old, old Yankee stadium". Gibson played in old Yankee Stadium from 1978-1987.

Old old Yankee Stadium would be where Louis fought Scmeling.
Old Yankee Stadium would be where Ali beat Norton.
New Yankee Stadium would be where the Badgers beat Miami in the Pinstripe Bowl.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 06:58:19 PM by Mutaman »

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »
2.  Maradona 'Hand of God' goal vs. England 1986.

this
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2020, 06:52:42 PM »
frozenas 3 against UNC

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »
As far as my memories:

1) Landon Donovan goal against Algeria. Just a great moment and play.
2) Bryant to Rizzo for the final out of Game 7. The play wasn't anything special, but ending 100+ years of angst certainly was.
3) Kris Jenkins' three. Certainly the biggest buzzer beater of my lifetime. Only Justin Lewis comes close...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
As far as my memories:

1) Landon Donovan goal against Algeria. Just a great moment and play.
2) Bryant to Rizzo for the final out of Game 7. The play wasn't anything special, but ending 100+ years of angst certainly was.
3) Kris Jenkins' three. Certainly the biggest buzzer beater of my lifetime. Only Justin Lewis comes close...

Also Zobrist's double in the top half of the 10th (though Miggy's RBI turned out to be the game winner). Still get chills from the highlights of that game.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »
I think that greatest sports play may be the relay throw that Jeter made against the A's in the playoffs. The throw that was way off, he went and got it and then backhanded to the plate.

If the greatest play is the greatest moment, then I think the miracle on ice.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »
I think that greatest sports play may be the relay throw that Jeter made against the A's in the playoffs. The throw that was way off, he went and got it and then backhanded to the plate.

Both excellent examples.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »
I remembered Favre coming in and telling friends the next day "Farve is going to be the next great NFL QB" even though I was not a Packers fan.  I thought Majkowski had gotten injured but his is the article I used in the original post when checking to see if my 28 year old memory was correct:  https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/13/brett-favre-debut-book-excerpt-mark-beech-the-peoples-team-green-bay-packers#:~:text=In%20an%20excerpt%20from%20his,started%20the%20season%200%2D2.

Mark Beech details Brett Favre's debut game on Sept. 20, 1992, when he entered in the first quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals and led the Packers to a 24-23 victory after they started the season 0-2.

Either way, it was a decision that changed the course of NFL history and the Packers franchise.

Majik Man did start against the Bengals.  I verified my memory by looking up the box score.

Majik was 1-2 for 7 yds and was sacked once.  I believe the sack is when he got injured.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2020, 01:43:10 PM »

Nah! Bobby Fischer destroying Spassky in 1972 to become World Champion.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2020, 02:02:03 PM »
Nah! Bobby Fischer destroying Spassky in 1972 to become World Champion.

*And the subsequent Drunk History about it
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2020, 03:11:22 PM »
Dock Ellis pitching a no-hitter on LSD
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2020, 03:52:37 PM »
Dock Ellis pitching a no-hitter on LSD

In that vein, Nova winning the 85 National Championship (and playing one of the most flawless games in NCAA history) while Gary McLain was full of coke....

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2020, 04:30:23 PM »

In that vein, Nova winning the 85 National Championship (and playing one of the most flawless games in NCAA history) while Gary McLain was full of coke....
This made me think if the play that had the biggest impact on me as a youngster.

NC State over Houston in '83 title game.  Lorenzo Charles.  That was about as good as it gets for improbable and therefore memorable plays.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2020, 07:37:03 PM »
Majik Man did start against the Bengals.  I verified my memory by looking up the box score.

Majik was 1-2 for 7 yds and was sacked once.  I believe the sack is when he got injured.

Yes.  He tore up his ankle.  This isn't even a debate. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2020, 08:28:09 PM »

Was my first game ever at Lambeau.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2020, 10:47:13 PM »

No no, he ONLY did it before the Final Four game. He then abstained for the final  ::) cause that would be the time to stop what was working

feedback