[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Lacrosse Recruit loses scholly over racist Instagram post.  (Read 22853 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: MU Lacrosse Recruit loses scholly over racist Instagram post.
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2020, 10:36:06 PM »
Is your point that it's shallow thinking to believe racism is never ok?

Your comment makes my point.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 04, 2020, 10:42:26 PM »

And you illustrated mine.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #177 on: June 04, 2020, 10:43:44 PM »
Racism is not okay, at any age. It's not okay in grade school, not okay in high school, not okay in college, not okay in young adulthood, not okay in middle age, not okay as a young or older senior. It's never okay. It isn't a different viewpoint. It's an unacceptable viewpoint anywhere, any time.

At what point in one’s life are you truly a racist?  Is Josh Hader a racist or did he say racist things as a teenager?  There is a difference.

Let’s do a hypothetical.  A highly rated MU basketball recruit says it is ok for cops to be killed and calls a white cop that is killed In a peaceful protest a racial epithet that some might find offensive.  Does MU revoke scholarship and admission?  What if a MU recruit says offensive things about women?  What about the gay community?

I have my doubts on where MU would handle this depending on who the recruit was and the target of the words.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:24:10 PM by WarriorDad »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2020, 11:06:18 PM »
I can get behind the not a safe space thinking. I can get behind MU could've lived up to a Christian teaching of forgiveness and growth. You lost me when you were still going to give her a scholarship to the lacrosse team. There's no reason to reward filthy behavior and I cannot figure out a reasoning for that one.

Galway

The reward was due to lacrosse (and possibly classroom) excellence. Not rescinding it because of her posts doesn’t condone her behavior. They could honor their commitment and still send her a reprimand that would put her on notice.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2020, 11:12:23 PM »
This young woman, in 2020, (and other years) posted racist online posts. There will be other incoming, current, past, students as well as other MU staff that are or were racist and "get away with it."  That doesn't make being racist okay. We all have known racists at some point or another at Marquette. Did you confront them at the time? Condoning, enabling is not okay.

This young woman needs time, to listen, learn, and spend with Black and Hispanic people and demonstrate an educated changed, evolved, informed, empathetic viewpoint. Thus far she doesn't sound ready for that or interested in that. If and when she does, I am all for her moving forward with her college lax career somewhere after all of those things. But those things come first. Playing for MU doesn't come first.

Some people do change their racist views and some don't. I don't believe anyone is giving up on this person in life, or judging her forever about anything. That isn't the case. People can and do make mistakes. This is the type of.mistake that takes time and effort to overcome. It isn't good enough to say well forget all of the people you hurt with your comments and actions and come on down and join the team and we will make it all about you and your teaching moment and everyone else will have to put up with it. Posting those things made it about others. So many posts here are only about this prospective student and only her. I hope she turns it around. There are some good places/organizations with good people for her to try to do that.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2020, 06:18:44 AM »
And you illustrated mine.

To help you, no, it’s not.  However, this is not simply a binary issue.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2020, 07:29:57 AM »
Wow well she got her wish people "came at her"

Haha true. Hard lesson to learn in more ways than monetarily.  Hopefully, this young lady can use this as an eye opening moment to reflect upon her youthful mistakes and grow as a person from this situation.  Hopefully, it is a pivot point to making her a better and more thoughtful person.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 05, 2020, 07:37:38 AM »
The problem is not so-called social media. The problem is fascist and  racist beliefs.
What can adversely affect your life is not what you post, it is being a bigot in the first place.

You are correct.  However, if i had a dollar for every time a teenager said something braggadocious, offensive, or ignorant with out truly understanding it or meaning it, i would have more money than Bezos.  Problem is instead of her saying that to her friends in a small setting and them telling her she is being short sighted or even ignoring her she is posting it to the world and forever. Big difference.  Do you still believe all the things you believed, good or bad, as a teenager?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #183 on: June 05, 2020, 07:37:57 AM »
Fluff

I’ll be the first to admit that times change and I have a lot to learn. I’m sure I’ll never catch up.

But I don’t think that my experiences (or yours) are invalid because you and I have a lot to learn. So do 18-22 year old students. So do their teachers and school administrators. I don’t think college should be about students being comfortable or unchallenged. I think we short change our young people if that’s our goal.

I didn't say your experience was invalid.  Your experience was much different.  I wholeheartedly agree that students should be challenged.  Every student.  However I think in many ways that isn't happening in a significant way for a many of our students.  And that the burden for being challenged is falling mostly on the disadvantaged.

I mean, yeah I met a lot of people from different parts of the country and from various economic backgrounds at MU.  But by and large they were all white, Christian, middle class and had parents that also went to college.  Almost all of my professors looked like me.  Sure there were multicultural students, and they were in my classes and I would see them in my residence hall or around campus.  But I was never forced, or even encouraged, to see anything from their point of view.

And frankly I think that would have been helpful to me as a professional, a parent and as a person. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #184 on: June 05, 2020, 07:38:49 AM »
Lots of people think they have all the answers at 18.   They are usually wrong.   I hope this young person is able to outgrow their youthful mistakes.

+ a lot!!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #185 on: June 05, 2020, 07:44:05 AM »

You grew up in a more diverse location.  Marquette is a pretty diverse school for its type (private and Catholic) and location (Wisconsin)

Most of your comments a truly stupid, this one is incredibly so. Insufferable.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #186 on: June 05, 2020, 07:44:30 AM »

My comment asking you to clarify your comment makes your point?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 05, 2020, 07:48:27 AM »
Galway

The reward was due to lacrosse (and possibly classroom) excellence. Not rescinding it because of her posts doesn’t condone her behavior. They could honor their commitment and still send her a reprimand that would put her on notice.

Yeah I'm going to disagree with you there. Lacrosse And scholarships Are Privileges that are entirely separate from the university's Christian mission. Also being an athlete at MU means that you're held to a certain standard, she doesn't meet that standard plain and simple. You did convince me about regular admission though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 05, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »
Most of your comments a truly stupid, this one is incredibly so. Insufferable.

Nice to see that you are as obsessed with me as your are MU82.  It's a badge of honor.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 05, 2020, 07:51:07 AM »

Should Marquette judge her, humiliate her and give her (and whoever “mentors” her) permanent victim status

Marquette went out of their way not to name her.  She has apparently deleted her social media accounts.  If she wants to be a permanent victim, that's on her.  That's not Marquette's fault.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #190 on: June 05, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »
Yeah I'm going to disagree with you there. Lacrosse And scholarships Are Privileges that are entirely separate from the university's Christian mission. Also being an athlete at MU means that you're held to a certain standard, she doesn't meet that standard plain and simple. You did convince me about regular admission though.

A lot of good points made here.  Would MU continue to admit a regular student that had made the same comments?  Would MU have been better off saying, they would revoke scholly and still help educate her in the Jesuit values?  Was it a high profile opportunity for MU to advertise its values versus that of a state institution? Good arguments can be made on both sides.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #191 on: June 05, 2020, 07:56:17 AM »

Nice to see that you are as obsessed with me as your are MU82.  It's a badge of honor.

Ur ignorance is blaring, hard to avoid.
Dime a dozen tho, young, ignorant, unaccomplished, and half as smart as you think you are.  However, Being loud and boastful doesnt make up for any of your deficiencies.

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 05, 2020, 08:18:45 AM »
Ur ignorance is blaring, hard to avoid.
Dime a dozen tho, young, ignorant, unaccomplished, and half as smart as you think you are.  However, Being loud and boastful doesnt make up for any of your deficiencies.

I appreciate the fact you think I'm young.

You insult everyone because that's what unintelligent people do.  So I wear it with a badge of honor.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #193 on: June 05, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »
This week, Xavier just did the same as Marquette for an incoming Cross Country & Track runner for making similar statements.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #194 on: June 05, 2020, 09:07:49 AM »

I appreciate the fact you think I'm young.

You insult everyone because that's what unintelligent people do.  So I wear it with a badge of honor.

U and 82 = everyone 👍👍
Thanks for affirming my previous remarks

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #195 on: June 05, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »
You are correct.  However, if i had a dollar for every time a teenager said something braggadocious, offensive, or ignorant with out truly understanding it or meaning it, i would have more money than Bezos.  Problem is instead of her saying that to her friends in a small setting and them telling her she is being short sighted or even ignoring her she is posting it to the world and forever. Big difference.  Do you still believe all the things you believed, good or bad, as a teenager?

No, of course not.

However, racist bigotry is in another category.   I think we are being distracted by the social media aspect.  If a student sat in a class and expressed racist bigotry I would hope the class would get up and walk out and shunn the person.

I have walked out of Catholic Mass when, during the Vietnam war, a priest was preaching war mongering vile propaganda. 

I may be an old fool now, but as a young man I was a warrior.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #196 on: June 05, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »
Should let her have a sit down with Sacar and Theo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 05, 2020, 12:23:14 PM »

I wish that I could believe it would help.

Unfortunately, "conversations" with bigots are nonproductive.

I have been somewhat successful with people who have had no first hand experience with the black culture, but hard-core bigots are unreachable.

The die is cast at a young age and me thinking that I can change beliefs is delusional.

We live in stovepipes of opinion and information, it is what it is.

I try not to go for the bate and have conversations with bigots.   Civilized society needs to marginalize and shun them and not give them a forum in the name of free speech.

I have a friend who lived in New Orleans.  He was having lunch at a N.O. restaurant.  In came David Duke who went upstairs for a meeting in a private room.  Out went my friend, no argument, no issue, no explanation, just right action.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 12:30:44 PM by vogue65 »

• All American
« Reply #198 on: June 05, 2020, 12:29:14 PM »

If they were willing.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #199 on: June 05, 2020, 12:33:36 PM »
If they were willing.

It's not their job or responsibility.