[Today at 01:43:07 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo to Duke odds  (Read 21546 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Wojo to Duke odds
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2020, 05:38:22 PM »
I bet there are a lot of coaches that would not take the Duke job. The first coach will be lucky to last more than 5 years. Imagine making the tournament 5 straight years and not making the Sweet 16 at Duke. Look at the coaches UCLA fired.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2020, 07:19:51 PM »
I bet there are a lot of coaches that would not take the Duke job. The first coach will be lucky to last more than 5 years. Imagine making the tournament 5 straight years and not making the Sweet 16 at Duke. Look at the coaches UCLA fired.
I agree but Wojo would take it and should.  He'd double or triple his salary.  But also take away him being an alum, his resume doesn't qualify him as serious candidate.

panda

• All American
« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2020, 07:26:27 PM »
I agree but Wojo would take it and should.  He'd double or triple his salary.  But also take away him being an alum, his resume doesn't qualify him as serious candidate.

The only chance he has at this point is Coach K personally naming him as his replacement. He’s under qualified for what’s probably the best job in the country.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2020, 07:46:50 PM »
The only chance he has at this point is Coach K personally naming him as his replacement. He’s under qualified for what’s probably the best job in the country.

I don’t think it’s the best job in the country. That’s going to be a very hard job for whomever replaces K.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2020, 08:24:07 PM »
This is my last post on this topic, because quite frankly it's annoying and beaten to death...but I bolded the part I feel is important, and what I think the vast majority of scoopers miss...MU SHOULD be better and at a higher level then the schools you highlighted MU82. People will disagree with me(when don't they when it comes to expectations for the program?) and that's okay, but it's my belief that nationally MU should regularly be considered a better program then those..and I think that's the biggest problem...right now it's hard to argue they are. I don't think the general public or even people that follow CBB regularly really dig too deep into #'s when comparing programs like this(outside the blue bloods), they hear "Oklahoma St, Wake Forest, USC, Marquette, yup, all relatively the same basketball pedigree, not blue bloods, but nice programs in major conferences". THAT'S the perception that needs to change IMO
guru, I’m with you. The fact we’re heading into year 7 with Wojo and it’s still all a crap shoot. Can’t I have a 3 or 4 yr run where we kick some A? ‘Nova is doing it. Why the hell cant Marquette?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2020, 08:59:50 PM »
I don’t think it’s the best job in the country. That’s going to be a very hard job for whomever replaces K.

+1000. Following a “legend” is extremely difficult. Fan bases have unrealistic expectations that are almost impossible for the next guy. Much better (IMO) to go to a program with history and commitment when it’s down.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2020, 09:17:05 PM »
Word. The best job in the country probably will be the Duke job if they have to fire K's replacement a couple/few years later.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2020, 09:36:51 PM »
guru, I’m with you. The fact we’re heading into year 7 with Wojo and it’s still all a crap shoot. Can’t I have a 3 or 4 yr run where we kick some A? ‘Nova is doing it. Why the hell cant Marquette?

Nova stuck with their guy when their fans wanted to fire him.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2020, 10:25:57 PM »
I agree but Wojo would take it and should. He'd double or triple his salary.  But also take away him being an alum, his resume doesn't qualify him as serious candidate.
I doubt he would double or triple his salary. They are not going to pay him for Coach K's success.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2020, 10:01:37 AM »
if I’ve implied ‘fire’ Wojo, I want to clarify. I have expressed frustration with his coaching. However, isn’t it time to see positive on-court results, i.e. win a ncaa tourney game; finish a regular season strong? I want MU to dominate, but I’ll settle for beating RED in November and a single ncaa tourney win in March. Man-o-Man how my standards have dropped.😀

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2020, 10:19:09 AM »

Sweet 16 in year 4, Elite 8 in year 5

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2020, 11:17:19 AM »
I guess the expectations at VU are higher. We're whiners for wanting one win.  ::)

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2020, 11:24:33 AM »

Don’t worry. Chico’s will ask what year was that total for his head coaching career? According to him you have to include Hofstra
Bring back FFP!!!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »
Because Wojo is the coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #164 on: June 02, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
Mike

You’re right, of course. My standings of our last 5 coaches would be as follows:

1 Buzz
2 Crean
3 KO
4 Wojo
5 Deane

KO get penalized for only staying 4 years, but one could still mKe a good argument that he’s #2.
About tight, except crean above Buzz and deane above Wojo
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
O'Neal and Crean clearly saw MU as a stepping stone job.
I am not sure that Wojo is looking at MU as a stepping stone job outside of Duke.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2020, 03:07:24 PM »
O'Neal and Crean clearly saw MU as a stepping stone job.
I am not sure that Wojo is looking at MU as a stepping stone job outside of Duke.
He should be happy to have the MU job. He has no opportunities to 'step up'.

IMHO, he will be back next to Coach K or at a mid-major within a few years. (Just one random poster's opinion and one who thinks Wojo is as classy of person that there is)

Viper

• All American
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2020, 03:21:48 PM »
O'Neill is a riddle to me.  He did some good things at Marquette at a time when the program had bottomed out.  For that alone he should be revered.

He also did what he did when our conferences were not very good, at least the MCC wasn't and the Great Midwest was pretty good.  I try to imagine how he would have done in CUSA, the old Big East or the new Big East.   In looking at his other stops in major conferences, he didn't do well.  Losing record at Tennessee (never had one winning season).  Under .350 record at Northwestern.  Losing record at USC.  His only winning record was at Arizona and his 19-15 record (later all vacated) there was one of the worst at Arizona in the last 30 years.

Was he a product of timing?  He landed MacIlvaine, Key and Logterman at a time when Wisconsin Badger basketball was bad.  Played in mid major conference.  Had one run in a NCAA tournament.   I'm not sure the evidence supports as we moved up in competition with better leagues that he would have done well because he didn't at any other stop where basketball success has been seen (except for Northwestern).
I agree with you on KO. 5 yrs at MU...didn’t he go NIT in year 1 w/Tony Smith?...then had ncaa bids in year 4&5? If he had stayed, I believe MU would have had sustained success. But, his practice facility was the Old Gym, contract was so-so, conference affiliation was meh...just too bad he couldn’t be convinced to hang in there w/MU because he bounced around thereafter. Btw, KO and Deane were hilarious at the MU hoops centennial celebration. 😂

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2020, 03:38:43 PM »
He should be happy to have the MU job. He has no opportunities to 'step up'.

IMHO, he will be back next to Coach K or at a mid-major within a few years. (Just one random poster's opinion and one who thinks Wojo is as classy of person that there is)
My guess  speculation, conjecture etc, is that Wojo will eventually leave for the first available Pac-12 job he can get. He will cite lifestyle and family reasons. Instead of freezing his rear off in the Quon he could have a nice house looking at a Mountain somewhere.

Most of those programs would be a layup job for him. He could easily recruit enough players to stay competitive and expectations would not be high at most of those schools , since football is what pays the way in those schools.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2020, 03:47:26 PM »
My guess  speculation, conjecture etc, is that Wojo will eventually leave for the first available Pac-12 job he can get. He will cite lifestyle and family reasons. Instead of freezing his rear off in the Quon he could have a nice house looking at a Mountain somewhere.

Most of those programs would be a layup job for him. He could easily recruit enough players to stay competitive and expectations would not be high at most of those schools , since football is what pays the way in those schools.
I could see that also. Not a step up but in the P6. Oregon State, Washington State, etc.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »
Crean laid the foundation for the success of the 21st Century.  KO did a great job here but Crean built the program to have sustained success.  Between facilities and helping navigate the move to the Big East, Marquette people need to swallow their pride and give him his due.

KO will always get extra credit from me for resuscitating a program on a death watch. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »
While I'm sure these comparisons will come, the Amigos also had Novak. I'm not sure there's a Novak on next year's team.

An important difference, thanks for pointing it out.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
O'Neill is a riddle to me.  He did some good things at Marquette at a time when the program had bottomed out.  For that alone he should be revered.

He also did what he did when our conferences were not very good, at least the MCC wasn't and the Great Midwest was pretty good.  I try to imagine how he would have done in CUSA, the old Big East or the new Big East.   In looking at his other stops in major conferences, he didn't do well.  Losing record at Tennessee (never had one winning season).  Under .350 record at Northwestern.  Losing record at USC.  His only winning record was at Arizona and his 19-15 record (later all vacated) there was one of the worst at Arizona in the last 30 years.

Was he a product of timing?  He landed MacIlvaine, Key and Logterman at a time when Wisconsin Badger basketball was bad.  Played in mid major conference.  Had one run in a NCAA tournament.   I'm not sure the evidence supports as we moved up in competition with better leagues that he would have done well because he didn't at any other stop where basketball success has been seen (except for Northwestern).

I’ve always felt that the majority of Deane’s success came from the recruits KO left for him. So, there’s that too. KO didn’t stay long at Tenn due to conflicts with the AD over who he could recruit. That led to him jumping ship before he could have success there. Jumping to Northwestern was a horribly bad move made in desperation to get out of Knoxville. He really screwed his own pooch.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2020, 06:11:22 PM »
I agree with you on KO. 5 yrs at MU...didn’t he go NIT in year 1 w/Tony Smith?...then had ncaa bids in year 4&5? If he had stayed, I believe MU would have had sustained success. But, his practice facility was the Old Gym, contract was so-so, conference affiliation was meh...just too bad he couldn’t be convinced to hang in there w/MU because he bounced around thereafter. Btw, KO and Deane were hilarious at the MU hoops centennial celebration. 😂

His bouncing around was because he failed everywhere else he went. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato