[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo to Duke odds  (Read 21529 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Wojo to Duke odds
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
FIFY. 

Seriously though, Wojo isn't going to Duke when K retires.  There is no way he is in their top 5 choices.

Idk, if Coach K wants Wojo, it will be Wojo...if K wants Brey it will be Brey etc. Duke posters without any knowledge of this article, seem pretty convinced it would be Wojo.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 10:54:28 AM »
Idk, if Coach K wants Wojo, it will be Wojo...if K wants Brey it will be Brey etc. Duke posters without any knowledge of this article, seem pretty convinced it would be Wojo.

Duke isn't settling for a guy that has 0 NCAA tournament wins.  Maybe if K lasts another 3-5 years and Wojo finally breaks through MAYBE he becomes a legit candidate.  Until then...don't see it all. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2020, 10:55:24 AM »
FIFY. 

Seriously though, Wojo isn't going to Duke when K retires.  There is no way he is in their top 5 choices.

He will 100% be in their top 5.  Politics of the situation demand he is at least mentioned as a finalist.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 10:57:37 AM »
Duke isn't settling for a guy that has 0 NCAA tournament wins.  Maybe if K lasts another 3-5 years and Wojo finally breaks through MAYBE he becomes a legit candidate.  Until then...don't see it all.
So, it has to be Brey?   Amaker, Collins, Wojo...     If Duke wants Wojo, he goes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »

100 percent agree.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »
So, it has to be Brey?   Amaker, Collins, Wojo...     If Duke wants Wojo, he goes.

I am not saying Wojo wouldn't take the job. Of course he would.  We've known that since day 1.

Duke can hire pretty much any CBB coach they want outside of a very a select few.  Wojo isn't going to be that guy unless he has a hell of a run in a hurry. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2020, 11:25:05 AM »

He will be a legit candidate. K really likes him. K lobbied hard for him to get MU job. Like him or not, Wojo will be a candidate and will go if offered.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2020, 11:49:39 AM »
Just a hunch, but I can envision the next Duke head coach being outside the Coach K tree.  I think many of these candidates, out of respect for Coach K, will allow someone else to take it for a few years before it returns to an alum/disciple. If it’s within next 2-3 years, I could see a Rick Barnes-like hire, a HC with high-level success at multiple institutions, nearing the end of his own career, and from the region, to take it over for 2-3 years, before ultimately returning it to the Coach K tree.

The amount of pressure to win immediately will be impossible to satisfy. If Duke is not careful, they could turn into Indiana.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2020, 12:09:32 PM »
Take a good look at that SI article. It was filled with praise for Wojo. The author thinks Wojo is doing a fine job at Marquette.

well, considered me sold!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2020, 12:59:45 PM »
well, considered me sold!

I wasn't trying to sell you or anybody else on anything.

All I was saying is that we all see Marquette differently than those with no MU rooting interest do. To them, Wojo's record the last 4 years looks good compared to most coaches not at blueblood or near-blueblood schools. He has recruited well, he has gotten to the NCAA tournament in 3 of the 4 years (if this one is included), etc.

I'm not even saying we should agree with that. Indeed, I said I'm no longer satisfied with our progress under Wojo. I'm simply saying he's generally well-respected out there.

And this isn't a unique situation. Right here, we have had many posters talk favorably about Bobby Hurley even though Hurley is not one iota more accomplished than Wojo is. Otzelberger is another one. Brad Underwood.

Those guys might be great coaches at this level ... but there is nothing to suggest that they have been better than Wojo so far or that they ever will be. Shaka was a slam-dunk to be great at this level ... until he wasn't.

It's the backup quarterback syndrome -- some of us want a guy simply because he's not our guy, the one we're sick of.

None of that should prevent MU administration from firing Wojo and hiring somebody else if they feel Wojo can't get the job done. You don't avoid making a move out of fear. You avoid making a move only if you believe in Wojo. So far, it looks like they do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2020, 01:11:40 PM »
Bobby Hurley definitely has an interesting recruiting class coming in this year. A good year and some more problems with the AD could see them splitting apart after this year. Could see that being the perfect situation for a coach in waiting situation at Duke where K is around for a year or too and Hurley is eased into the situation. Could see similar case for Wojo if this is how Coach K wants to slide into retirement. Duke has the money to pay 2 head coaches.

Otherwise I would say Brad Stevens or bust for Duke.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »

I agree, Coach K likely will anoint guy he has hand picked. That’s how it usually works for a coaching legend when leaving on their own terms. Al to Hank. Dean Smith to Guthridge. Heathcoate to Izzo. John Thompson Sr. still is picking Georgetown’s coaches. Ryan wanted Gard and timed his retirement so Gard had to be chosen, at least interim basis where he could prove himself.

No one has any idea what Coach K is thinking, so maybe there’s a chance for Wojo, as insane as that sounds. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2020, 03:21:27 PM »
Duke should hire Brian Wardle
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2020, 03:32:47 PM »
Duke should hire Brian Wardle

I chuckled.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2020, 05:29:13 PM »

Ahem . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krzyzewski

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2020, 05:40:01 PM »

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »
I wasn't trying to sell you or anybody else on anything.

All I was saying is that we all see Marquette differently than those with no MU rooting interest do. To them, Wojo's record the last 4 years looks good compared to most coaches not at blueblood or near-blueblood schools. He has recruited well, he has gotten to the NCAA tournament in 3 of the 4 years (if this one is included), etc.

I'm not even saying we should agree with that. Indeed, I said I'm no longer satisfied with our progress under Wojo. I'm simply saying he's generally well-respected out there.

And this isn't a unique situation. Right here, we have had many posters talk favorably about Bobby Hurley even though Hurley is not one iota more accomplished than Wojo is. Otzelberger is another one. Brad Underwood.

Those guys might be great coaches at this level ... but there is nothing to suggest that they have been better than Wojo so far or that they ever will be. Shaka was a slam-dunk to be great at this level ... until he wasn't.

It's the backup quarterback syndrome -- some of us want a guy simply because he's not our guy, the one we're sick of.

None of that should prevent MU administration from firing Wojo and hiring somebody else if they feel Wojo can't get the job done. You don't avoid making a move out of fear. You avoid making a move only if you believe in Wojo. So far, it looks like they do.

You're not wrong.  But other fanbases would understandably (and this includes our own) be wary of a coach who watched his two best teams lose six of their last seven games, even if he did make the tournament three of his last four (and got demolished in the two tourney games he played).  There are serious questions that need to be answered as to why that happened, and the shrugs and deflection of a certain segment of our fanbase probably wouldn't fly in the interview room.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2020, 05:54:14 PM »
It is a fascinating dichotomy.  MU fans frustrated and fixated about the finish the last two years.    National writer praising the job Wojo has done at MU and discussing the likelihood he replaces K.   

Can both be right?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2020, 05:59:17 PM »
It is a fascinating dichotomy.  MU fans frustrated and fixated about the finish the last two years.    National writer praising the job Wojo has done at MU and discussing the likelihood he replaces K.   

Can both be right?   

My father is a big Purdue fan and only connection through MU is me.  He watches most of the MU games.  I told at the end of last season that people were getting restless and he was really surprised.  Thoughts on MU are totally different outside of the bubble.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2020, 06:03:43 PM »

Can both be right?   

That's a good question.  If we replicate his results the next six years, will people be impressed?

That's my issue with Wojo.  We have a coach good enough to not get fired, but not good enough to please the fanbase.  He's led the program into a holding pattern.  Something has to give eventually.  I'm not saying Wojo should be fired, but how many years are we going to do this?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:10:09 PM by Small Orange Soda »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2020, 06:07:30 PM »
That's a good question.  If we replicate his results the next six years, will people be impressed?
If we play 5 full uninterrupted seasons and he averages 20+ wins over the next 5 years like he has the last 5 years, then yes.

MU fans see the collapses and the zero tourney wins.   National writers see 102 wins in 4.9 years.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:09:17 PM by tower912 »

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »
If we play 5 full uninterrupted seasons and he averages 20+ wins over the next 5 years like he has the last 5 years, then yes.

MU fans see the collapses and the zero tourney wins.   National writers see 102 wins in 4.9 years.

I think everyone sees that his two best teams dismantled down the stretch.  Again, someone is responsible for that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »

The problem with National writers and people outside the MU bubble(heck even a lot in the bubble), see the MU program as nothing more than a "decent/Good" program that plays in the Big East. They don't think the ceiling is that high or that they can ever become nationally relevant. In other words, they are kind of an "after thought" in the National landscape...that view shouldn't be what it is.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2020, 06:23:05 PM »
Why is it assumed that MU is.more than that?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2020, 06:32:26 PM »
Why is it assumed that MU is.more than that?

Because they should be..As one example, look where Buzz had the program...a BE title(in the best conference ever assembled), two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8. This didn't happen in the 70's either, this wasn't that long ago..why can't it/shouldn't it be that program again??

feedback