[Today at 06:19:23 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wsj says hoops the perfect way to spread coronavirus  (Read 5219 times)

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Wsj says hoops the perfect way to spread coronavirus
« on: May 28, 2020, 01:21:28 PM »
I'm glad the kids will be getting back on campus and all. I'm still a little nervous about the threat to playing games. I'm attaching a photo of Wall Street journal article yesterday which basically said that if you wanted to invent a way to quickly spread a respiratory disease like coronavirus you would invent basketball to do it. My fingers are crossed though hope is thing doesn't come back nasty in the fall and threaten the season
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
Re: Wsj says hoops the perfect way to spread coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:25:40 PM »
The virus is not a major health risk to the young and healthy. No hoops until vaccine? I would imagine most athletes would opt to play despite the risk. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
The virus is not a major health risk to the young and healthy. No hoops until vaccine? I would imagine most athletes would opt to play despite the risk.

I disagree and agree in part. Given that a few people I used to race bikes with are still unable to reach 70% baseline athletic performance to what they used to do pre Covid (these are people just coming off ironman finshes in top 25%), I am a little concerned of the long term respiratory effects the virus may have in a percentage of people. The uncertainty part of long run effects sucks.

That said, I believe you are probably correct that athletes would opt to play. There is definitely a strong desire to reach some normalcy, and sports seem to be a central part of that.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 01:58:39 PM »
I disagree and agree in part. Given that a few people I used to race bikes with are still unable to reach 70% baseline athletic performance to what they used to do pre Covid (these are people just coming off ironman finshes in top 25%), I am a little concerned of the long term respiratory effects the virus may have in a percentage of people. The uncertainty part of long run effects sucks.

That said, I believe you are probably correct that athletes would opt to play. There is definitely a strong desire to reach some normalcy, and sports seem to be a central part of that.

This cannot be stated enough. I've seen a million arguments about death totals and people beating their chest about not being afraid because the death rate is so low but The number people who receive lasting damages are considerably higher and seem to be ignored.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »
This cannot be stated enough. I've seen a million arguments about death totals and people beating their chest about not being afraid because the death rate is so low but The number people who receive lasting damages are considerably higher and seem to be ignored.

+100.  For every death, there are ~14 people who went through hell and a chunk of those will be unhealthy for years.

I get it, younger people fare better with COVID.  It doesn't matter.   Eventually some athlete on some team will test positive and will send ripples everywhere .. coaching staff, team managers, refs on the court, opposing teams.  Huge deal.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »
And not only that ...

Unless you are going to keep entire teams in quarantine -- players, coaches, training staff, support staff -- it's not just a matter of players and coaches "accepting risk."

They would be taking on the risk for themselves and then passing it onto the community, whose members might not have wanted to take those risks. There are a lot of older priests, teachers and administrators at Marquette (and other universities) who could be very susceptible to the ravages of COVID-19. And plenty of younger folks might be, too.

This effen sucks. There are no great answers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 03:26:53 PM »
Colleges and universities are working out ways to make accomodations for faculty and staff who are at higher risk.  No great answers is correct.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 03:30:06 PM »
We need a new thread for Covid haikus...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
This concerns me, but I think it is too early say these are lasting damages.

A high level runner, who takes a month off for whatever reason will not perform at the same level he was at before.

Being at 70% now does not mean you will not improve.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 05:50:32 PM »
+100.  For every death, there are ~14 people who went through hell and a chunk of those will be unhealthy for years.

I get it, younger people fare better with COVID.  It doesn't matter.   Eventually some athlete on some team will test positive and will send ripples everywhere .. coaching staff, team managers, refs on the court, opposing teams.  Huge deal.

We should quarantine everyone until a vaccine then.  Just to be sure. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 06:00:09 PM »

Colleges play hoops
Young and healthy fare better
Lasting damages?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 07:41:14 PM »
Colleges play hoops
Young and healthy fare better
Lasting damages?

This is the content I'm here for.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:45:41 PM »

Season is canceled
Wojo keeps his employment
Scoop burns to the ground

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »
Season is canceled
Wojo keeps his employment
Scoop burns to the ground

The Pro-Jo’s Rejoice
Season gone, nothing to judge
More Sunshine Pumping

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 07:57:30 PM »
We should quarantine everyone until a vaccine then.  Just to be sure.

Agreed.  We are in good hands. I trust our shepherds to lead us to the light until the next time a weird foreign pathogen surfaces and we can cancel society again.  And then again. 

Let them play if they like, let them get sick, let them recover - AND THEY WILL RECOVER - and make sure we protect the weakest and most vulnerable:

- Jim Boeheim coaches from a booth
- Fans/players can opt in/opt out.  A ticket/contract is a waiver, limiting liability
- Pat Driscoll (clear cognitive issues/dimensia) is banned for life

I for one don't want to live in a world without risk.  I imagine NBA/NCAA athletes would agree.   

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 08:02:41 PM »
A season cut short
Transfer portal thread in lieu
A Carton of hope

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 08:08:00 PM »
Agreed.  We are in good hands. I trust our shepherds to lead us to the light until the next time a weird foreign pathogen surfaces and we can cancel society again.  And then again. 

Let them play if they like, let them get sick, let them recover - AND THEY WILL RECOVER - and make sure we protect the weakest and most vulnerable:

- Jim Boeheim coaches from a booth
- Fans/players can opt in/opt out.  A ticket/contract is a waiver, limiting liability
- Pat Driscoll (clear cognitive issues/dimensia) is banned for life

I for one don't want to live in a world without risk.  I imagine NBA/NCAA athletes would agree.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/13/world/coronavirus-survivors-severe-health-effects-years/
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »
So, all the football teams decide to play.  4 days before the season opener, one out of 85 tests positive.   Forfeit the first two games?

MU decides to play.  Midnight madness comes and goes, first couple games are played, player X tests positive.   Does MU forfeit all the games in their Thanksgiving time tourney?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 08:54:05 PM »
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/13/world/coronavirus-survivors-severe-health-effects-years/

Experts, again. "Could".   What is the impact of murder hornet on recruiting?  "Could" be disastrous, but I am guessing Bruce Pearl will still be combing elementary schools.   

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 09:13:19 PM »
Experts, again. "Could".   What is the impact of murder hornet on recruiting?  "Could" be disastrous, but I am guessing Bruce Pearl will still be combing elementary schools.   
Goes after all organs in the body is the key. But whatever.....
Goal is National Championship

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 09:53:02 PM »
So does Lupus.   Shut it down.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 10:02:31 PM »
So does Lupus.   Shut it down.

Yeah lupus isn’t contagious. Just like “El Pres” comparing it to cancer and not shutting things down because people die of cancer. There are some very dumb people in this world.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 10:29:46 PM »
Yeah lupus isn’t contagious. Just like “El Pres” comparing it to cancer and not shutting things down because people die of cancer.

Thank you.  The fact that it's still necessary to point this out gives me little hope that any of this will be under control anytime soon.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 08:22:07 AM »
Anything that gets Driscoll banned for life I'm all for.
GO WARRIORS!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 08:48:05 AM »
I am happy we are reopening.
However, it has not changed my opinion that the season will shut down before it is completed.
The only way it will be completed is if the NCAA is willing to continue with some players or staff getting Covid. I just do not see that happening.