[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Anonymous Eagle Article  (Read 20242 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Anonymous Eagle Article
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2020, 09:35:28 PM »
Prior to Covid, Rowsey was on the verge of getting called up  for a cup of coffee in the NBA. He was having an incredible season in the G League.  Was shooting 48 percent from the NBA 3 line, 59 percent EFG and 94 percent from the line. 20 points per game.

Hopefully he can keep up the momentum when basketball restarts.

Rowsey played well in the G League, but that doesn't mean he was on the verge of a call-up. Vander was one of the best G League players for years, how often did he get called up?

Big G League numbers are not at all an indication of an impending call-up.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2020, 02:54:48 PM »
Semantics...but regardless, he has a less than stellar BE record. Again, MU should finish top 3-4 every year. That's not having unrealistic explanations, that's not embellishing or asking for too much. That's just reality a program like MU's should be top 3-4 every year in conference.

If only sports were so predictable.  First year records count, they are also impacted by what is in the cupboard and whether the players left fit your coaching philosophy.  I am not ignoring his first year, but find it intellectually dishonest of someone not to mention they aren’t his guys. 

For some reason Al McGuire’s worst year at Marquette was his first when he took over a bad team.  Probably just a coincidence and semantics.  Those losses still counted against Al’s record as do Wojo’s, but I believe most reasonable people understand the impacts of transition years.  Can you imagine MU Scoop after 1967?  Al has been here two years and his overall record is 22-30.  The details should matter, it isn’t as black and white as you and others want to make it.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

panda

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2020, 02:57:39 PM »
If only sports were so predictable.  First year records count, they are also impacted by what is in the cupboard and whether the players left fit your coaching philosophy.  I am not ignoring his first year, but find it intellectually dishonest of someone not to mention they aren’t his guys. 

For some reason Al McGuire’s worst year at Marquette was his first when he took over a bad team.  Probably just a coincidence and semantics.  Those losses still counted against Al’s record as do Wojo’s, but I believe most reasonable people understand the impacts of transition years.  Can you imagine MU Scoop after 1967?  Al has been here two years and his overall record is 22-30.  The details should matter, it isn’t as black and white as you and others want to make it.

What did Al do in year 7?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2020, 03:59:02 PM »

great comparison. I mean, the landscape is exactly the same today as it was back then.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »
I disagree with this completely, player development is a huge issue. Markus didn't develop with Wojo, he developed because his brothers pushed him and trained him.

Maybe the players that are not developing, because they are not working hard enough or some cases they have peaked. I do not see how Morrow was ever going to develop a jump shot. He worked on it all summer, but I not sure he even took one in a game this year.

Every coach tells his players what they need to work on to improve their game in the off season. Coaches do not develop players. The players have to do that. However, I think it is important to recruit players that can be developed.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2020, 05:26:17 PM »
Well just off the top of my head a few would be: Do other schools in the BE have a private jet available to them for recruiting??(I don't know that answer), what MU spends on basketball is greater than the other schools in the BE, and you only cite the AL, but what about the new sports science facility that they have now, I can be almost 100% certain no one else has that. That's not even mentioning the fact that they play in a state of the art NBA arena, players have access to NBA players like Giannis etc, and on top of that, what other school in the BE(with the exception of Nova) can lay claim to having recent or current popular NBA players like D Wade, Jimmy Butler and Jae Crowder as alums?? That's just a few things, I'm sure I can come up with more..but again, give nthose things in and of itself, there is no reason MU shouldn't be a top 3-4 team in the Big East consistently.

The one thing that would really elevate them and push them over the top(even nationally) is state of the art dorms for the players. They had the chance to get those and Lovell slow played it and it got taken off the table. That could end up being one of the worst decisions for the MU program in history.

These are nice barroom arguments, but hardly difference makers between programs at the Big East level.  Maybe if you're comparing us versus a mid- or low-major, but none of these stand out as difference makers for any other program.

Fact is that no program in the Big East lacks sufficient recruiting resources. To suggest that we have a recruiting advantage because we have a jet for Wojo is laughable.  Just try to show some proof that some other BE program can't recruit because they don't have the budget to do so.

Budgets have been discussed here numerous times that you can't compare our budget versus other schools, because you don't know how common expenses are allocated at MU versus any other school.

Players don't care about academic research programs at the school--they care about the actual programs the athletic department can deliver.  MU's sports science program means nothing in terms of quality of care players will get versus other schools.   

As I said, MU has no demonstrable advantage over what are largely peer-level programs, all with long histories of success, championship banners and trophies of their own, all with just as much money to invest thanks to NCAA Tournament and TV payouts, all with home court and home town advantages, all with famous alumni they can leverage.  MU has no more of a permanent claim to a top 3 spot than any other program in the conference.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »
Serious question. What is the school's buyout? My understanding is that the school has to pay the remainder of the contract. (All my employment contracts worked that way). Not really a "buyout" just fulfilling the contractual obligation.

Are coaches agreeing to contracts that allow the school out at a lower amount than the contract calls for? (I know this is sometimes negotiated at terminations but didn't think so in the contract) Seems like a request that will piss-off the coach and get him looking for another job ASAP.

I'm no expert but I've only heard of the employee or coach paying the buyout.

Plus the bigger, and original question/assertion, is why is MU having to go through another renegotiation in just two years? If the BoT "loved him" this should be an every 5 year process. If I loved my coach I'd lock him up and give him a meaningful raise.

My understanding is they "like him" not "love him".
I think buyouts are mostly in the coaches favor. Wojo might have to pay MU $xxx dollars, if he left for Duke. Generally, schools have to pay coaches they fire. However, ontracts generally have a clause that allows them to terminate the contract if the coach commits a violation.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
Prior to Covid, Rowsey was on the verge of getting called up  for a cup of coffee in the NBA. He was having an incredible season in the G League.  Was shooting 48 percent from the NBA 3 line, 59 percent EFG and 94 percent from the line. 20 points per game.

Hopefully he can keep up the momentum when basketball restarts.
I will still argue that getting a 10 day contract does not make you an NBA player.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2020, 06:01:14 PM »
Al was able to identify with inter city black players at a time when a lot of schools did not want to. I loved Al, but I do not think he would automatically make MU great again, if he magically reappeared.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2020, 06:10:37 PM »
Al was able to identify with inter city black players at a time when a lot of schools did not want to. I loved Al, but I do not think he would automatically make MU great again, if he magically reappeared.

This is a bad take.  Great coaches find their thing and get it done.  He was one of them.  Just because we understand how he did it does not diminish the genius. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2020, 06:21:19 PM »

You want the honest answer?
— Plato

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »
Al was a great leader of young men. He used his leadership skills to Recruit great players and motivate them to maximize their talent within a team concept. I think those personal attributes would generate  success in any era of sports .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2020, 06:29:00 PM »
You want the honest answer?

I have the internet. It was more of what I like to call a rhetorical question.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2020, 03:16:26 AM »
Al was a great leader of young men. He used his leadership skills to Recruit great players and motivate them to maximize their talent within a team concept. I think those personal attributes would generate  success in any era of sports .
I never said he would not be successful. I did mean he probably would not win another NCAA title, which is what posters really want.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2020, 08:13:34 AM »
I have the internet. It was more of what I like to call a rhetorical question.

You won’t get the honest answer from the internet.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2020, 08:14:42 AM »
Why are you celebrating being one of the last auto bids 2 of those 4 years?

One of the last auto bids?  Can we get a Twitter fact checker here.
— Plato

panda

• All American
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2020, 08:37:00 AM »
You won’t get the honest answer from the internet.

Lol

1SE

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2020, 02:26:10 AM »
As others have mentioned, I don't think the rate of transfers/exits is a huge concern.

What is concerning to me, however, is how many of these departures seem to come as total and complete shocks (to us and, from what we can see, to Wojo). That leaves Wojo flat-footed with his dumb a$$ thousand yard stare scrambling to find some last minute band aid. I don't follow other programs closely enough to really compare, but I feel like the norm elsewhere is that transfers/exits are usually pretty well anticipated. I mean did anyone, anywhere on this board write that they thought BB was going to leave? Did anyone contemplate Hausershima? Did anyone predict Ed was going to hang them up?

Again, I don't know what inkling Wojo had of these, but if he didn't it suggests he doesn't have much of a clue what's going on with his guys and that's a big problem.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2020, 03:18:14 AM »
the nature of college basketball has deeply changed. With one & done ending there will be still more changes. How things will change...ask me in 5 years...

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2020, 11:08:24 AM »
Concerns about Wojo:     Scheme.   In game adjustments.     

Not concerns about Wojo:   Player development, transfers.
Player development is most definitely a concern.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
As others have mentioned, I don't think the rate of transfers/exits is a huge concern.

What is concerning to me, however, is how many of these departures seem to come as total and complete shocks (to us and, from what we can see, to Wojo). That leaves Wojo flat-footed with his dumb a$$ thousand yard stare scrambling to find some last minute band aid. I don't follow other programs closely enough to really compare, but I feel like the norm elsewhere is that transfers/exits are usually pretty well anticipated. I mean did anyone, anywhere on this board write that they thought BB was going to leave? Did anyone contemplate Hausershima? Did anyone predict Ed was going to hang them up?

Again, I don't know what inkling Wojo had of these, but if he didn't it suggests he doesn't have much of a clue what's going on with his guys and that's a big problem.

I don't think any of the exits you mentioned were a shock to Wojo. Honestly, the only departure that I think was a "shock" was Hausergate. Ed's minutes had dwindled down to nothing and was clearly third on the depth chart at the 5. Bailey is already ancient in professional basketball years and doesn't want to waste some of his prime years not getting paid. Hausergate definitely falls into the realm of shocking.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2020, 01:34:57 PM »
I don't think any of the exits you mentioned were a shock to Wojo. Honestly, the only departure that I think was a "shock" was Hausergate. Ed's minutes had dwindled down to nothing and was clearly third on the depth chart at the 5. Bailey is already ancient in professional basketball years and doesn't want to waste some of his prime years not getting paid. Hausergate definitely falls into the realm of shocking.

agreed. It isn't Wojo's fault Morrow quit during the season. In fact, that was a situation that could have had a negative effect on the team and it did not.

I will blame Wojo for the Hauser's because he could have handled things differently and kept them around.

There are often strong underlying reasons for a transfer we never know about and don't need to know about and there's nothing a coach can do that can change the decision. There's also times where coaches want a kid to transfer and they don't.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback