[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Who is the second best coach in the Big East?

Mike Anderson
7 (5.2%)
Ed Cooley
43 (31.9%)
Patrick Ewing
0 (0%)
Dan Hurley
5 (3.7%)
LaVall Jordan
1 (0.7%)
Dave Leitao
1 (0.7%)
Greg McDermott
48 (35.6%)
Travis Steele
0 (0%)
Kevin Willard
7 (5.2%)
Steve Wojciechowski
23 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Who is the second best coach in the Big East?  (Read 8416 times)

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
Who is the second best coach in the Big East?
« on: May 24, 2020, 01:03:47 AM »
'Best coach' seems like a waste of time with a guy who's won 2 national championships in the running.  But how does everyone else stack up? Vote y'all.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Who is the second best coach in the Big East?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 06:11:57 AM »
Honestly, they all have some serious issues. I voted Cooley, though his teams struggle with consistency and haven't done anything significant in the NCAA Tournament. McDermott is pretty good, but only seems to be able to coach one end of the floor and also hasn't done anything of note in March. Willard is similar in that he never seems to maximize his talent and has one 8/9 victory to his career.

Wojo could be put in this conversation, which honestly is an indictment on the rest of the league as much as anything. With Mack and Holtmann gone, there really just aren't many proven coaches outside of Wright. I guess Anderson, but it's hard to vote for a guy who has one year on the job and hasn't been past the first weekend in over a decade (though it's more than the rest of the league?).
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 07:45:27 AM »
I voted for Mike Anderson.  I think in the long run, it’ll be Dan Hurley.

Cooley and Willard have probably taken Providence and Seton Hall as far as they can on a regular basis.  If March is a measuring stick, neither have made a second weekend.

McDermott is fine for Creighton and an interesting case.  I think it took some time for him to adjust to the type of players and talent he needed to compete in the Big East.  I give him credit and the staff credit for operating on the fringes
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 08:28:09 AM »
Honestly, they all have some serious issues. I voted Cooley, though his teams struggle with consistency and haven't done anything significant in the NCAA Tournament. McDermott is pretty good, but only seems to be able to coach one end of the floor and also hasn't done anything of note in March. Willard is similar in that he never seems to maximize his talent and has one 8/9 victory to his career.

Wojo could be put in this conversation, which honestly is an indictment on the rest of the league as much as anything. With Mack and Holtmann gone, there really just aren't many proven coaches outside of Wright. I guess Anderson, but it's hard to vote for a guy who has one year on the job and hasn't been past the first weekend in over a decade (though it's more than the rest of the league?).

I think you're spot on Brew..outside of Wright, I watch BE games/Coaches and overall I am just not that impressed. We have to remember, recruiting is also part of the equation(at east for me it is for something like this), and who in that regard has "wow'd" anyone?? Honestly, (and everyone knows my reservations about Wojo), he might get the nod over all the others as far as his recruiting ability. But as far as overall..to me this would be like picking the tallest midget.

That being said..if someone picks Leitao, you need to show yourselves.  :P
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 09:40:20 AM »
With this league, not sure. A lot of coaches have massive flaws. I went for Cooley, the 6 who went for Wojo, what yall smoking?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 10:02:59 AM »
With this league, not sure. A lot of coaches have massive flaws. I went for Cooley, the 6 who went for Wojo, what yall smoking?

I do think Wojo is the best recruiter of them. From the theory of "if you get the talent, eventually results will follow" it would seem like he might have the highest upside. Further, he's had success at every level of recruiting, from impact high school players like Ellenson, Howard, the Hausers, and Garcia to impact traditional transfers like Morrow, McEwen, and Carton (all highly regarded at the time of transfer) to impact grad transfers like Carlino, Reinhardt, (we thought at the time) Chartouny, and Jayce.

He hasn't yet delivered results with all the on-paper talent he's brought in, but so far I think it's an easier sell that Cooley, McDermott, and Willard have peaked at their programs than it would be to say Wojo has peaked.

Though, being Scoop, I'm sure some of those are sarcastic votes as well.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 11:09:48 AM »
Until this year I probably would have agreed with you on Cooley. However, the atrocious start to this past season with that team was unforgivable and knocked him down a few pegs for me.  If we had had that start, what would you be saying about our coach? 

Don’t think it is Wojo but I don’t think there is much separation between 2 thru 6 either.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 11:39:24 AM »
Alright, who's the smart ass that voted for Leitao??   :P
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 11:49:01 AM »
For all the continuous talk on here about tournament wins and deep runs on Scoop, I am not at all amazed the it is a two horse race between Cooley and McDermott for 2nd.

I voted for Anderson for right now, who has never had a losing season in nearly 20 years as a head coach and had the most 20 win seasons outside of Wright (not to mention a S16 and E8 appearance with two different programs).

Long-term, it will be Hurley (as #2).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »
Not necessarily saying Wojo is the second-best, but I do think one could make a pretty good case for Wojo over any of the other 9.

For example, a little while back, we had a troll who insisted that Hurley was better. But several of us who rely on something annoying like facts had a pretty easy time showing how Hurley had not accomplished any more than Wojo has.

Go up and down the list, and the same is true of every single one who isn't named Wright.

Anderson certainly is more accomplished than Wojo, with an E8 run at Mizzou and a S16 run at UAB, but it's hard to argue that his time at Arkansas was very successful -- 3 NCAA appearances in 8 years, only two tourney wins in that time, and total flameout his last season. I thought when St. John's hired him it was a good choice.

McDermott would also seem to have been more accomplished, but in 2 decades as a D1 head coach he somehow has never managed to reach the S16 a single time -- not even when he had the national player of the year. And those who believe Wojo mishandled a couple of game-ending situations ... nobody ever handled one worse than McDermott did in that loss to MU a couple years ago.

In other words, the Big East is not exactly a coaching wonderland these days.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 02:43:53 PM »

I didn’t know Jean Ponsetto was on Scoop!

What’s her ID: Loserlady79, SquanderedQueen01?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »

Who was the guy who said DePaul had passed MU by after nonconference last year?  That’s my guess.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
For all the continuous talk on here about tournament wins and deep runs on Scoop, I am not at all amazed the it is a two horse race between Cooley and McDermott for 2nd.

I voted for Anderson for right now, who has never had a losing season in nearly 20 years as a head coach and had the most 20 win seasons outside of Wright (not to mention a S16 and E8 appearance with two different programs).

Long-term, it will be Hurley (as #2).

Maybe it will be Hurley. But he hasn't been beyond the first weekend either and we'll see if he can turn the Big East positioning into top-flight recruiting. Anderson is a fair vote, I didn't pick him mainly because he hasn't done it here yet and he was generally just a middle-of-the-SEC coach before he was fired.

I think the real consensus is that there is no clear #2 after Jay Wright. Lots of generally solid programs, but no one who's broken through to the next level.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 04:11:17 PM »
It is a close call between Cooley and McDermott. Which is kind of interesting since they are reputed to be good friends.

Very rare for a Cooley team not to come prepared. Providence not the easiest  place to recruit and yet Cooley has made the tournament 5 years ( Probably would have been 6 this year). He appears to get the most possible out of his team every year.   T

This year was a classic demonstration of Cooley's coaching ability , after getting out to the bad start in non conference,Cooley & Company went 12-6 in a strong Big East Conference. Cooley is very strong at working the refs. 

McDermott has done an excellent job of building the Creighton brand of basketball. His teams are fun to watch and the teams show great chemistry on the offensive end. When they miked up McDermott for a whole game,he was very actively encouraging the guys to move the ball to the open man. It is really a big part of their culture.

Creighton also not an easy place to recruit and McDermott's brand of basketball has enabled Creighton to attract a steady stream of quality recruits and transfers. The Creighton program is now in a mode where in their off years they reload versus rebuild. McDermott has essentially extended the Creighton program from being strong in the Missouri Valley to strong in the Big East .

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 04:29:49 PM »

In other words, the Big East is not exactly a coaching wonderland these days.

Maybe Buzz was right.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »
Maybe Buzz was right.
Yeah being a top 3 conference is terrible  ::)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:40:43 PM by Newsdreams »
Goal is National Championship

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 04:39:28 PM »
Yeah being a top 3 conference us terrible  ::)

He’s a big fan of emotional overreactions and not a fan of facts.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 04:54:05 PM »
Where is the 'Jay Wright' option?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 05:25:52 PM »
Where is the 'Jay Wright' option?
I would of posted this without teal You are only as good as your last season. I would of voted Jay Wright second.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 05:27:44 PM »
Wojo is the best recruiter among the bunch, but I had to go with McDermott as the best overall coach. He brings decent players into Creighton, and does the best job of getting the most out of them. I would put Wojo at number 3.

Willard and Cooley both are good coaches, but they both have far more D1 head-coaching experience than Wojo (Cooley 14 seasons and Willard 13; one NCAA win each) and I think both have taken their programs as far as they likely will.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 05:43:28 PM »
Wojo is the best recruiter among the bunch, but I had to go with McDermott as the best overall coach. He brings decent players into Creighton, and does the best job of getting the most out of them. I would put Wojo at number 3.

Willard and Cooley both are good coaches, but they both have far more D1 head-coaching experience than Wojo (Cooley 14 seasons and Willard 13; one NCAA win each) and I think both have taken their programs as far as they likely will.
I'll have what he is smoking.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 09:30:12 PM »
It is a close call between Cooley and McDermott. Which is kind of interesting since they are reputed to be good friends.

Very rare for a Cooley team not to come prepared. Providence not the easiest  place to recruit and yet Cooley has made the tournament 5 years ( Probably would have been 6 this year). He appears to get the most possible out of his team every year.   T

This year was a classic demonstration of Cooley's coaching ability , after getting out to the bad start in non conference,Cooley & Company went 12-6 in a strong Big East Conference. Cooley is very strong at working the refs. 

McDermott has done an excellent job of building the Creighton brand of basketball. His teams are fun to watch and the teams show great chemistry on the offensive end. When they miked up McDermott for a whole game,he was very actively encouraging the guys to move the ball to the open man. It is really a big part of their culture.

Creighton also not an easy place to recruit and McDermott's brand of basketball has enabled Creighton to attract a steady stream of quality recruits and transfers. The Creighton program is now in a mode where in their off years they reload versus rebuild. McDermott has essentially extended the Creighton program from being strong in the Missouri Valley to strong in the Big East .
Providence sucked during the non-con.  Was that also a demonstration of Cooley’s coaching ability or not?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 10:06:32 PM »
Providence sucked during the non-con.  Was that also a demonstration of Cooley’s coaching ability or not?

As Harry Caray used to say, “The big possums walk late”. Taking a team that sucks in November and turning it into one that’s to be reckoned with and playing its best basketball in March is the epitome of good coaching.

Team’s win in November due to talent, experience or a combination of both. A good coach’s team plays its best ball down the stretch - that’s Cooley this year. A not so good coach stumbles at the end because the good ones have figured his team out. Look no further than us the last two years.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 10:12:14 PM »
As Harry Caray used to say, “The big possums walk late”. Taking a team that sucks in November and turning it into one that’s to be reckoned with and playing its best basketball in March is the epitome of good coaching.

Team’s win in November due to talent, experience or a combination of both. A good coach’s team plays its best ball down the stretch - that’s Cooley this year. A not so good coach stumbles at the end because the good ones have figured his team out. Look no further than us the last two years.
Lol. Providence had talent and experience but couldn’t win in November.  Must have been due to the excellent coaching.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 10:14:32 PM »

Ed has a total of 1 NCAA Tournament win in 14 seasons as an NCAA head coach. 6 (including this season) Tournament appearances in 14 seasons.

Not sure how Cooley would be considered a “good” coach if Wojo is considered a “not so good” coach.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback