[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19  (Read 20267 times)

SWARM!

• Starter
Re: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2020, 04:45:47 PM »
If you have been on this earth for longer than 51 years, then you have lived in as deadly a pandemic. FACT.

The Hong Kong flue of late '68 and into '69 killed more than 100,000 Americans and over 1,000,000 deaths globally.  I was a teen then, my dad had this flu and made him very sick.  This was before helicopter parenting.  Schools were not closed.  Sporting events went on.  Woodstock was not canceled.  It was barely in the news, despite the huge numbers in this country and globally. 

24/7 news.  Social media.  Risk aversion.  Attituded have changed.  But factually, yes some of us have lived through a pandemic every bit as bad and I have to believe half of this message board is over the age of 50.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/22/coronavirus-pandemic-shows-how-risk-averse-americans-have-grown/

Wait, so WarriorDad isn't Hoopaloop afterall?  Hoopy is like early 50s, which would make him a baby in the late 60's.  Guess Scoop Nation owes him an apology!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:49:32 PM by Richard Shaw's Retired Number »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2020, 06:14:02 PM »

Yinon Weiss is a tech entrepreneur, a U.S. military veteran, and a bioengineer by education.

While this is all true, he has never worked in the fields and is the founder of a couple tech start ups centered around....auto repair.  I'll stick to the epidemiologists thank you.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/yweiss/

Some epidemiologists agree with Mr. Weiss
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2020, 06:21:13 PM »
My wife manages mental health care for 25 facilities and they have seen a significant increase in suicides and suicidal patients. Most concerning to her team is that they are mostly people with no previous mental health issues.

I don't know the correct answer for all this but there is collateral damage from the 'shut down'. Maybe we're better with more suicides and fewer COVID deaths. It's a horrible situation all around.

About a month ago here and elsewhere people were challenging this very idea that suicides were up, as if it was some kind of crazy idea.  Now more and more doctors, mental health experts and researchers are saying exactly that.  Suicides up, way up.  This is part of the trade-off that has to be looked at.  It isn't just the virus and who it attacks (if you are under 24 more likely to die by a lightning strike), but also the terrible destruction of jobs, services, tax revenues (that help cities, the poor, the unhealthy).   It is a horrible situation all around.  In the post-analysis we may find the models were wrong and the remedies too severe.  The collateral damage as painful as the disease.  No matter what, they will never be agreed upon with overtones of what was proper and what wasn't.  It will be an argument for years to come with both sides firmly entrenched.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2020, 06:55:01 PM »
Some epidemiologists agree with Mr. Weiss

Cool.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »

Yinon Weiss is a tech entrepreneur, a U.S. military veteran, and a bioengineer by education.

While this is all true, he has never worked in the fields and is the founder of a couple tech start ups centered around....auto repair.  I'll stick to the epidemiologists thank you.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/yweiss/

Dont really care what his background is, he is dead on with his assessment.  Sweden is a perfect example.  There are a few very hard hit areas.  We shut down the entire country in an attempt to save a few large cities.  Shut the cities down let the rest of the nation pick up the slack.  Complete over reaction fueled by the left wing media. 
Not diminishing the deaths, dont think its less lethel than flu, etc.  But 90% of American is not under any true significant thread of covid,  simply due to the social distancing involved naturally by where they live.  1 death in my county, I live on over an acre no shutdowns spared me or the area I, and many Americans live in
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2020, 07:35:13 PM »

Dont really care what his background is, he is dead on with his assessment.  Sweden is a perfect example.  There are a few very hard hit areas.  We shut down the entire country in an attempt to save a few large cities.  Shut the cities down let the rest of the nation pick up the slack.  Complete over reaction fueled by the left wing media. 
Not diminishing the deaths, dont think its less lethel than flu, etc.  But 90% of American is not under any true significant thread of covid,  simply due to the social distancing involved naturally by where they live.  1 death in my county, I live on over an acre no shutdowns spared me or the area I, and many Americans live in

Back when this started, people predicted that if the shut downs were successful, that brainless morons would downplay their importance due to lack of cases...caused by the shut downs.

Up steps Sand Knit and Chico’s.

I mean it was very predictable really.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2020, 09:41:00 PM »

Back when this started, people predicted that if the shut downs were successful, that brainless morons would downplay their importance due to lack of cases...caused by the shut downs.

Up steps Sand Knit and Chico’s.

I mean it was very predictable really.
Yeah, that was my prediction. Turns out it is pretty easy to predict dopey rationalizations.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2020, 10:11:45 PM »
U guys realize how stupid you sound for falling into your own trap?  Where i live there were no shutdowns, nothing changed except the schools shut down.  The offices n factories never closed.  Your dead wrong. Drive through the industrial parks n there was never an empty parking spot.  You are wrong.  You are both so deeply embedded in your beliefs that you will never consider that their could be an alternative version.  So predictable that possibly the two most closed minded and ignorant people on the board would be the first to pounce.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2020, 11:47:47 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2020, 08:05:33 AM »
U guys realize how stupid you sound for falling into your own trap?  Where i live there were no shutdowns, nothing changed except the schools shut down.  The offices n factories never closed.  Your dead wrong. Drive through the industrial parks n there was never an empty parking spot.  You are wrong.  You are both so deeply embedded in your beliefs that you will never consider that their could be an alternative version.  So predictable that possibly the two most closed minded and ignorant people on the board would be the first to pounce.

That's because nobody wants to live near you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »
Discussed in Sweden thread.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2020, 10:53:30 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2020, 11:03:47 AM »
Lol
Look at all the charts showing a second spike!!
Lol
Havent seen one.  Continued downward trend despite reopening. 
Hold on to that n keep making it political, thats what u do best. Hold ur breath until u turn blue, might work better for you

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2020, 11:35:11 AM »
Lol
Look at all the charts showing a second spike!!
Lol
Havent seen one.  Continued downward trend despite reopening. 
Hold on to that n keep making it political, thats what u do best. Hold ur breath until u turn blue, might work better for you
We know dude--because social distancing worked, it PROVES we didn't need to do it in the first place!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2020, 12:45:59 PM »
We know dude--because social distancing worked, it PROVES we didn't need to do it in the first place!

Still waiting for ur second spike

GOO

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »
Let's ramble:

There was no good decision.  Either stay at home or not have bad outcomes. Neither is a good option. Plenty of amo for either side to take up in opposition.

I agree that if stay at home works or did work, it is easy to take shots at it.  This is why I didn't think politicians had the guts to do it.  Easy to say overreacted if it works.   If we did it early and the virus did not spread much, the calls that stay at home weren't needed would be greater. The better it works, the more people think it was a bad decision.  We humans are terrible at thinking rationally and logically, of course. I do think it worked to some extent.  Were saving 100K lives worth the shutdown?  I can answer that for me, but not for everyone.

Those that act like the decision was a robust economy versus stay at home, don't get it.  GDP was taking no matter.  Given that I side on the stay at home.

Confirmation bias at work here a lot on both sides.  You will find support for whatever you want to believe and already believe. We are not logical. The more you think you are logical, the less you probably are aware of how bad you actually think and digest information.

My opinion: The virus does not spread as easily as thought on surfaces and may not be as deadly as originally thought.  But we are no where near done with it and it has been very deadly and would have been  out of control if we just went on like in '69.  We ain't done here folks.  There is unfortunately, a lot more dying in the USA.  We lead in dying and on a basis of population percentages, it is embarrassing. We should have done better.  Hopefully we will be more prepared going forward. I believe in science and expertise and data. We reacted very slowly to an obvious crisis in the making as if somehow it wouldn't effect us.

The economy was tanking before the stay at home orders. Restaurants and bars were doing little business.  My restaurant clients were dying and wanting to close in mid-March, it made little sense to stay open and some wanted to close to actually save money.  So, stay at home was late, and the GDP was tanking anyway.  People who could, especially the elderly were already staying home on droves.  It was nice to go to restaurants and have the place almost entirely to ourselves in mid-March. Not so much for the economy. An earlier stay at home would have helped save the economy if it worked.
You don't want to reference Sweden to support not invoking stay at home orders.  Look at them compared to other Scandinavian countries that had orders in place: Sweden's economy tanked as many people did a self imposed stay at home order; yet their deaths and cases far exceed their neighbors.  Look how much better the other Scandinavian countries did.  Sweden is not a great reference to support that stay at home doesn't work (unless you want to say a lot of people died in Sweden compared to their neighbors, the economy tanked anyway, and they are not through it while their neighbors are through it.  The other Scandinavian countries are opening up boarders, but not too Sweden since they are still dealing with the virus.  To me, Sweden shows an option, but it didn't do much for them and they essentially had a self imposed stay at home order.  GDP numbers will be interesting.

David Rosenberg had a great interview on Bloomberg Masters that is worth a listen an does discuss the GDP of the USA and Sweden and the effects of the shut down.

Ramble over.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2020, 03:36:22 PM »
Sorry for the ramble.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2020, 05:06:48 PM »
Sorry for the ramble.

It was a real good ramble, GOO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »
Let's ramble:

There was no good decision.  Either stay at home or not have bad outcomes. Neither is a good option. Plenty of amo for either side to take up in opposition.

I agree that if stay at home works or did work, it is easy to take shots at it.  This is why I didn't think politicians had the guts to do it.  Easy to say overreacted if it works.   If we did it early and the virus did not spread much, the calls that stay at home weren't needed would be greater. The better it works, the more people think it was a bad decision.  We humans are terrible at thinking rationally and logically, of course. I do think it worked to some extent.  Were saving 100K lives worth the shutdown?  I can answer that for me, but not for everyone.

Those that act like the decision was a robust economy versus stay at home, don't get it.  GDP was taking no matter.  Given that I side on the stay at home.

Confirmation bias at work here a lot on both sides.  You will find support for whatever you want to believe and already believe. We are not logical. The more you think you are logical, the less you probably are aware of how bad you actually think and digest information.

My opinion: The virus does not spread as easily as thought on surfaces and may not be as deadly as originally thought.  But we are no where near done with it and it has been very deadly and would have been  out of control if we just went on like in '69.  We ain't done here folks.  There is unfortunately, a lot more dying in the USA.  We lead in dying and on a basis of population percentages, it is embarrassing. We should have done better.  Hopefully we will be more prepared going forward. I believe in science and expertise and data. We reacted very slowly to an obvious crisis in the making as if somehow it wouldn't effect us.

The economy was tanking before the stay at home orders. Restaurants and bars were doing little business.  My restaurant clients were dying and wanting to close in mid-March, it made little sense to stay open and some wanted to close to actually save money.  So, stay at home was late, and the GDP was tanking anyway.  People who could, especially the elderly were already staying home on droves.  It was nice to go to restaurants and have the place almost entirely to ourselves in mid-March. Not so much for the economy. An earlier stay at home would have helped save the economy if it worked.
You don't want to reference Sweden to support not invoking stay at home orders.  Look at them compared to other Scandinavian countries that had orders in place: Sweden's economy tanked as many people did a self imposed stay at home order; yet their deaths and cases far exceed their neighbors.  Look how much better the other Scandinavian countries did.  Sweden is not a great reference to support that stay at home doesn't work (unless you want to say a lot of people died in Sweden compared to their neighbors, the economy tanked anyway, and they are not through it while their neighbors are through it.  The other Scandinavian countries are opening up boarders, but not too Sweden since they are still dealing with the virus.  To me, Sweden shows an option, but it didn't do much for them and they essentially had a self imposed stay at home order.  GDP numbers will be interesting.

David Rosenberg had a great interview on Bloomberg Masters that is worth a listen an does discuss the GDP of the USA and Sweden and the effects of the shut down.

Ramble over.

Goo dont disagree with u entirely but as we stand today.  Today 6/5/2020, the number of new cases has leveled off a while back, systems will not be over loaded. In fact, despite many on the lefts predictions there has been no second spike, cases have been falling rapidly, you could say plummeting.  Falling rapidly in the face of a skyrocketing number of new tests administered daily.  So plummeting number of new cases despite an exponential growth in daily testing.
  And today 2.5 million people newly employed.  How many jobs will open back up if blue state governors would stop denying the facts? Are they now politically motivated despite all the numbers and the evidence that economies in red states are bouncing back while their cases continue to drop.
  Tsmith and fluffy have been denyers all along, Tsmith even said there was a second spike.  Right now the main thing holding this country back are blue state governors.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2020, 01:42:59 PM »
Goo dont disagree with u entirely but as we stand today.  Today 6/5/2020, the number of new cases has leveled off a while back, systems will not be over loaded. In fact, despite many on the lefts predictions there has been no second spike, cases have been falling rapidly, you could say plummeting.  Falling rapidly in the face of a skyrocketing number of new tests administered daily.  So plummeting number of new cases despite an exponential growth in daily testing.

In Wisconsin, the number of new cases isn't "plummeting" at all.  The seven day average has been by and large increasing.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2020, 01:57:21 PM »
  And today 2.5 million people newly employed.  How many jobs will open back up if blue state governors would stop denying the facts? Are they now politically motivated despite all the numbers and the evidence that economies in red states are bouncing back while their cases continue to drop.
  Tsmith and fluffy have been denyers all along, Tsmith even said there was a second spike.  Right now the main thing holding this country back are blue state governors.

We are seeing a second spike in Wisconsin. Three of the five highest death totals (and the two highest) have come in the past 10 days. 6 of the 10 highest dates with the most confirmed cases have been since Memorial Day.

The good news is that percent of positives is down, but that is also because they are now testing more asymptomatic patients so that was always expected (while they can turn up positive, there were no asymptomatic tests given early on). There was a spike after Memorial Day and if the correlation there is actually causation we should expect to see another.

I know that the facts don't comport with the narrative you want to embrace, but I don't think the facts have any real care for your feelings, so sorry about that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2020, 01:59:31 PM »
In Wisconsin, the number of new cases isn't "plummeting" at all.  The seven day average has been by and large increasing.

Statistics and facts? GTFO

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »
Ok sorry u guys are so provincial
I was stating national numbers

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2020, 02:05:59 PM »
We are seeing a second spike in Wisconsin. Three of the five highest death totals (and the two highest) have come in the past 10 days. 6 of the 10 highest dates with the most confirmed cases have been since Memorial Day.

The good news is that percent of positives is down, but that is also because they are now testing more asymptomatic patients so that was always expected (while they can turn up positive, there were no asymptomatic tests given early on). There was a spike after Memorial Day and if the correlation there is actually causation we should expect to see another.

I know that the facts don't comport with the narrative you want to embrace, but I don't think the facts have any real care for your feelings, so sorry about that.

So the positives are going down despite far more testing, glad we agree

feedback