'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19  (Read 20171 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2020, 07:54:05 PM »
Why was it nice without me? 

The '68-'69 Hong Kong flu killed at least 100,000.  We don't know if it was 110K, 140K or some other number. The CDC isn't sure (sound familiar - even then the CDC could not count).  Worldwide the estimates are the Hong Kong flu killed at least 1M, which is much bigger than the current COVID 19.   If COVID 19 passes it that doesn't make that epidemic any less of a big event. The difference is how we reacted to it as a people.  We went on with our lives, school, sporting events, concerts. 

I don't understand your Idaho comments.  We didn't go to Idaho.  We went to Nashville for a small gathering of family for a relative - social distancing practiced.  Though while we were there we did a little driving and impressed with what we saw.  Will probably wait to see what our youngest does upon graduating Marquette in '21, but considering moving out of Illinois.  Idaho is too far west no family connections of any kind there.
Can't compare 60's to today. The amount of movement and interaction was not even close between states and much less international travel as it is today. And don't give me but... but... Woodstock, besides we want to avoid as many people dying as possible at least I'm on that side. Maybe you're comfortable with 100k dying in 3 months, I'm not. And it is not only the dead,  https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/13/world/coronavirus-survivors-severe-health-effects-years/
But I'll let this be. You being Chicos I won't go into a circle jerk argument.
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
To claim this is a national crisis is an over statement.

Don't be ridiculous. When at least double digits are dying in every single state, it's a national crisis.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »
So, about Ewing.  He's doing pretty good, no?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2020, 12:28:46 PM »
So, about Ewing.  He's doing pretty good, no?
Out of hospital, recuperating at home.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »
Don't be ridiculous. When at least double digits are dying in every single state, it's a national crisis.
Don't be ridiculous, Every state averages double digit deaths by cancer, auto accidents and the flu.

I agree this is a major issue but it's also a huge payday for the media.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
Don't be ridiculous, Every state averages double digit deaths by cancer, auto accidents and the flu.

Oh God...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »

Oh God...
What?

60,000 per year die from the flu in the US.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2020, 01:20:38 PM »
What?

That's not true. 61,000 died in 2017-18. The average over the past 9 years is 37,462. We're pushing triple that in just 3 months.

And comparing this to other events is silly because this is a sentinel event that adds on top of all other things. It can't be compared to them, only to other similar sentinel events, such as Ebola, 9/11, World War II, etc.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »
What?

Weak ass, easily refuted talking point.   

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/05/the-flu-has-killed-2200-michiganders-since-2000-coronavirus-topped-that-in-a-month.html

For the third time, 'the flu' has killed 2200 citizens of Michigan SINCE 2000!    COVID has killed over 5000 in 3 months.     
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:42:58 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2020, 01:57:45 PM »
Jeez! You guys win. The original assertion was the are double digit deaths in every state so this is a national crisis. I pointed out a "weak ass" (very mature) fact that other issues like cancer kill double digit people every year also. Now this has become a debate about Michigan? Like I said, you guys win, I can't follow this logic.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
I’m glad Ewing is doing well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2020, 02:26:23 PM »
I am too.    White trash, I apologize.    Of course there are deaths from car accidents, the flu, cancer, guns, drug overdoses.     Always have been.    Not since 1918 has any illness killed 100,000 Americans in 3.5 months.   Here is a list of COVID deaths vs other major events in US history.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/29/coronavirus-vietnam-deaths/

This article is a month old and the current number of deaths is nearly 100k now.  This is killing faster than World Wars.  Faster than the civil war.  More already dead than Viet Nam.

So, 60k in 12 months is significantly less than 100k in 3.5 months.    I think it will slow, but if it doesn't, 300k by the end of the year.    Or 5x more than the flu.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2020, 03:21:55 PM »
I am too.    White trash, I apologize.    Of course there are deaths from car accidents, the flu, cancer, guns, drug overdoses.     Always have been.    Not since 1918 has any illness killed 100,000 Americans in 3.5 months.   Here is a list of COVID deaths vs other major events in US history.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/29/coronavirus-vietnam-deaths/

This article is a month old and the current number of deaths is nearly 100k now.  This is killing faster than World Wars.  Faster than the civil war.  More already dead than Viet Nam.

So, 60k in 12 months is significantly less than 100k in 3.5 months.    I think it will slow, but if it doesn't, 300k by the end of the year.    Or 5x more than the flu.
Thanks, I think we mostly agree. This is a big deal. I'm in a state that is not hard hit so my perspective may not be 100% correct but it seems like we may be wading into an even worse situation if jobs and the associated health insurance does not rebound quickly.  People in the health care industry are loosing jobs each day. People are losing their health insurance every day.

I'm the farthest thing from an expert and I don't envy our political leaders, Dems or Reps, so I'll leave it to the experts and pray for the best outcome.

So, how 'bout them Warriors?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2020, 05:08:56 PM »
Thanks, I think we mostly agree. This is a big deal. I'm in a state that is not hard hit so my perspective may not be 100% correct but it seems like we may be wading into an even worse situation if jobs and the associated health insurance does not rebound quickly.  People in the health care industry are loosing jobs each day. People are losing their health insurance every day.

I'm the farthest thing from an expert and I don't envy our political leaders, Dems or Reps, so I'll leave it to the experts and pray for the best outcome.

So, how 'bout them Warriors?
We really, really need to decouple health insurance from employment.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2020, 05:38:59 PM »

You are 100% correct about that.

One should have absolutely nothing to do with another.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2020, 05:58:18 PM »
Possibly. We could also use peace in the middle-east.

All joking aside, you maybe correct but this is an immediate threat that might bite us in the a$$. I'm doing okay as I assume many of my fellow MU grads are but I worry for our fellow Americans who live pay check to pay check or have little in savings.

I feel we are all doing better when those who have the least are doing better.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2020, 09:05:00 PM »
Can't compare 60's to today. The amount of movement and interaction was not even close between states and much less international travel as it is today. And don't give me but... but... Woodstock, besides we want to avoid as many people dying as possible at least I'm on that side. Maybe you're comfortable with 100k dying in 3 months, I'm not. And it is not only the dead,  https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/13/world/coronavirus-survivors-severe-health-effects-years/
But I'll let this be. You being Chicos I won't go into a circle jerk argument.

If I understand you correctly, 100K dying in the 60's from the Hong Kong flu with limited movement and travel, economic means should translate today with all the movement, travel and opportunity we should expect much more than 100K which is what we have.    I'm not happy with 100K people dying of this.  I'm not happy with 10 more people shot here over the weekend.  People dying of Cancer.  In general, people dying I am not in favor of.  But I also won't live my life in fear nor do I for a second think all 100K died because of this.  Most were older than I am, many in nursing homes.  That is tragic that our leaders let that happen as they were the most vulnerable of society.  In my opinion we have also lost larger than normal numbers to suicide because of overreaction.  None of this is easy stuff.  I hope you and everyone else here remains safe and healthy, but I also hope we don't live in fear. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2020, 10:16:56 PM »
If I understand you correctly, 100K dying in the 60's from the Hong Kong flu with limited movement and travel, economic means should translate today with all the movement, travel and opportunity we should expect much more than 100K which is what we have.    I'm not happy with 100K people dying of this.  I'm not happy with 10 more people shot here over the weekend.  People dying of Cancer.  In general, people dying I am not in favor of.  But I also won't live my life in fear nor do I for a second think all 100K died because of this.  Most were older than I am, many in nursing homes.  That is tragic that our leaders let that happen as they were the most vulnerable of society.  In my opinion we have also lost larger than normal numbers to suicide because of overreaction.  None of this is easy stuff.  I hope you and everyone else here remains safe and healthy, but I also hope we don't live in fear.
Again Cancer is not even similar to a virus that can be transmitted human to human. Apples and Oranges Chicos. Yes had we not mostly stayed home due to all the interaction compared to the 60's we would have done much worse. We have a 100k dead and this is not over. There will be at least 300k and if people keep at it like they did this past weekend there will be 500k due to a second wave. What stats do you have about suicide or is it speculation on your part? Today where I live a 27 year old who had recuperated and donated plasma died after new complications surfaced. Again comparing this virus to cancer, murder, accidents is silly to me, it is really childish. Have a good night Chicos.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2020, 10:19:46 PM »
Ewing. Great player. TBD as coach. Hope he gets better soon.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2020, 05:24:24 PM »
Again Cancer is not even similar to a virus that can be transmitted human to human. Apples and Oranges Chicos. Yes had we not mostly stayed home due to all the interaction compared to the 60's we would have done much worse. We have a 100k dead and this is not over. There will be at least 300k and if people keep at it like they did this past weekend there will be 500k due to a second wave. What stats do you have about suicide or is it speculation on your part? Today where I live a 27 year old who had recuperated and donated plasma died after new complications surfaced. Again comparing this virus to cancer, murder, accidents is silly to me, it is really childish. Have a good night Chicos.

The medical experts believe in the suicide surge.  There were numerous stories last week from various clinics and doctors showing their locations with large increases in mental health incidents.  Today this article on suicide-related to COVID.  The data takes a few years according to surface, but there are deep concerns within the field.
 https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2020/5/28/21272160/suicide-covid-19-pandemic-mental-health-expert-projections-university-of-utah

And I'm not comparing cancer to this, or the others listed. I said that I'm not a fan of people dying regardless of the reason, and listed those examples but they were not comparisons.

Patrick Ewing home and on the mend is a good sign.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »
The medical experts believe in the suicide surge.  There were numerous stories last week from various clinics and doctors showing their locations with large increases in mental health incidents.  Today this article on suicide-related to COVID.  The data takes a few years according to surface, but there are deep concerns within the field.
 https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2020/5/28/21272160/suicide-covid-19-pandemic-mental-health-expert-projections-university-of-utah

And I'm not comparing cancer to this, or the others listed. I said that I'm not a fan of people dying regardless of the reason, and listed those examples but they were not comparisons.

Patrick Ewing home and on the mend is a good sign.
My wife manages mental health care for 25 facilities and they have seen a significant increase in suicides and suicidal patients. Most concerning to her team is that they are mostly people with no previous mental health issues.

I don't know the correct answer for all this but there is collateral damage from the 'shut down'. Maybe we're better with more suicides and fewer COVID deaths. It's a horrible situation all around.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2020, 02:29:28 PM »
South Carolina HC Frank Martin Says He Tested Positive for Coronavirus in May
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2894498-south-carolina-hc-frank-martin-says-he-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-in-may

South Carolina men's basketball coach Frank Martin announced Tuesday he tested positive for COVID-19 on May 8.

Per The Athletic's Josh Kendall, Martin said he was asymptomatic for the most part aside from feeling fatigued. Upon learning of his positive test, he self-quarantined at his home and was confirmed negative May 23.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »
Just like Coach Ewing, good luck to Coach Martin on a full recovery.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2020, 03:07:40 PM »
Reality check:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/05/21/how_fear_groupthink_drove_unnecessary_global_lockdowns_143253.html

Yinon Weiss is a tech entrepreneur, a U.S. military veteran, and a bioengineer by education.

While this is all true, he has never worked in the fields and is the founder of a couple tech start ups centered around....auto repair.  I'll stick to the epidemiologists thank you.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/yweiss/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow