[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19  (Read 20261 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2020, 10:25:42 AM »
#Perspective.  But folks here need to get a grip too starting with the mods.

Jeesh, this is what I get for spending a day on home improvement and not reading scoop.  First, I was merely going by the CDC list of influenza pandemics, so a bit ignorant of me:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/basics/past-pandemics.html

Second, as others mentioned, AIDS has a much different mechanism of transfer.  Many of us had to think, and be cautious until more was known, but hardly anyone thought going out to dinner at a crowded restaurant was a risk.

Finally (and to quibble about first point), depending on who you ask, AIDS is not a pandemic (the WHO...), instead an epidemic.  It's was known about in 1981 but only started to get recognition as an epidemic in the early 90s.  It took 9 years for 300k recognized cases (and estimates of 1M actual cases) to be tracked.  That's the same scale COVID has dealt in 5 months. 

I'm not quibbling about the ramifications of HIV in society.  Over time it may still be worse than COVID.  But comparing it to the social/emotional reaction of COVID-19 is too not a good comparison given the speed of spread.

#Perspective
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:34:53 AM by rocky_warrior »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2020, 10:46:09 AM »
False. AIDS, 36 million dead.

There was that pesky plague thing a few years ago.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2020, 10:59:18 PM »
Some people thought orange soda caused polio.
Swinning pools were suspect.
Now it's choirs, foursomes, and dirty hands.

wait what?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2020, 12:06:59 AM »
Jeesh, this is what I get for spending a day on home improvement and not reading scoop.  First, I was merely going by the CDC list of influenza pandemics, so a bit ignorant of me:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/basics/past-pandemics.html

Second, as others mentioned, AIDS has a much different mechanism of transfer.  Many of us had to think, and be cautious until more was known, but hardly anyone thought going out to dinner at a crowded restaurant was a risk.

Finally (and to quibble about first point), depending on who you ask, AIDS is not a pandemic (the WHO...), instead an epidemic.  It's was known about in 1981 but only started to get recognition as an epidemic in the early 90s.  It took 9 years for 300k recognized cases (and estimates of 1M actual cases) to be tracked.  That's the same scale COVID has dealt in 5 months. 

I'm not quibbling about the ramifications of HIV in society.  Over time it may still be worse than COVID.  But comparing it to the social/emotional reaction of COVID-19 is too not a good comparison given the speed of spread.

#Perspective

Great perspective, wokky.  A+.  Top notch.

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2020, 10:53:56 AM »
Wishing the best for Patrick Ewing.  If nothing else, he seems to be in at least decent shape for a 57 year old 7 foot guy (though there aren't many 57 year old 7 foot guys to compare to, LOL).  That said, 7 foot guys are already at least at a slight disadvantage for long life spans due to how many calories they need to take in to survive and how hard their hearts have to work to get blood pumping throughout their bodies. 

I have at least a shred of hope we'll see some version of College Football and Basketball this coming year, but it will certainly be a different atmosphere than in the past if it happens at all.  I really think basketball is the easier sport to let take place as there aren't as many guys that need to be Covid tested on a regular basis and it's easy to balance out the Title 9 requirements by having an equal amount of players for Women's basketball playing. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2020, 12:44:08 PM »
100,000 dead in three months, it's not like those fears, especially for people who are immunocompromised, were unfounded.

...and 60% of those deaths are in only 5 states; 40% in New York and New Jersey alone. To claim this is a national crisis is an over statement. I live in New Jersey so we practice good hygiene, we ware a mask when shopping. My son-in-law's mom (78 yo) and brother live in Staten Island. We (my wife and I are 73 yo) celebrated Christmas , Easter and Mothers Day together and we are all fine. Sure its a bad bug but I think it is not as contagious as they claim it to be; a third of all deaths are from those confined in Nursing homes.

My main complaint is who decides what is essential and what is not. Last Friday the State health authority closed down a gym in defiance of the governors orders. They actually changed the locks on his place of business to prevent him from re-opening. He was taking the temperature of all his members before they entered the gym; all his equipment was 12 ft apart and wiped down after use and all members had to ware a mask while in the gym and only 20 members were aloud in the 20K sq ft gym at one time. I could see the state shutting him down if he was not taking proper precautions, but it seemed to me he was going above and beyond. They wanted to make an example of him, period. I am only required to ware mask to go into a grocery store; or Wal Mart  or Target, where I can buy shoes or clothing, but can't by shoes at a local shoe store or clothes at Kohl's or Macy's. Why?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2020, 12:57:58 PM »
In your years on this earth (how many earths have you been on?)  there has never been a pandemic this deadly.  FACT.
the FACT is you could not be more wrong.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »
...and 60% of those deaths are in only 5 states; 40% in New York and New Jersey alone. To claim this is a national crisis is an over statement. I live in New Jersey so we practice good hygiene, we ware a mask when shopping. My son-in-law's mom (78 yo) and brother live in Staten Island. We (my wife and I are 73 yo) celebrated Christmas , Easter and Mothers Day together and we are all fine. Sure its a bad bug but I think it is not as contagious as they claim it to be; a third of all deaths are from those confined in Nursing homes.

My main complaint is who decides what is essential and what is not. Last Friday the State health authority closed down a gym in defiance of the governors orders. They actually changed the locks on his place of business to prevent him from re-opening. He was taking the temperature of all his members before they entered the gym; all his equipment was 12 ft apart and wiped down after use and all members had to ware a mask while in the gym and only 20 members were aloud in the 20K sq ft gym at one time. I could see the state shutting him down if he was not taking proper precautions, but it seemed to me he was going above and beyond. They wanted to make an example of him, period. I am only required to ware mask to go into a grocery store; or Wal Mart  or Target, where I can buy shoes or clothing, but can't by shoes at a local shoe store or clothes at Kohl's or Macy's. Why?

It’s not a national crisis?  Are you insane?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2020, 02:28:22 PM »
wait what?

Small Orange Soda, you have finally been exposed, fess up.  I guess you were not around in the 50's when MISSION was the brand. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2020, 04:43:56 PM »

You have been lucky so far. Some people are lucky at Russian roulette. At least where I live places that sell food Walmart etc. can only sell food and essentials no clothing, electronics entertainment etc. that will change tomorrow in 4th phase of opening.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »
Good thing Patrick is already back home

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2020, 07:02:37 PM »
Good thing Patrick is already back home

That is good news.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2020, 08:27:46 PM »
You have been lucky so far. Some people are lucky at Russian roulette. At least where I live places that sell food Walmart etc. can only sell food and essentials no clothing, electronics entertainment etc. that will change tomorrow in 4th phase of opening.
News, with a 99% chance of surviving the virus it is hardly Russian Roulette. Here in SD we have had no new deaths for days, thank God but we have been going to Walmart, Costco etc. without restrictions of what you can buy. Been on the beach for weeks and hiking the trails. People are being careful but some places that limit what you can buy baffle me. Stay safe,All

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2020, 09:34:21 PM »
News, with a 99% chance of surviving the virus it is hardly Russian Roulette. Here in SD we have had no new deaths for days, thank God but we have been going to Walmart, Costco etc. without restrictions of what you can buy. Been on the beach for weeks and hiking the trails. People are being careful but some places that limit what you can buy baffle me. Stay safe,All
Where do you get 99%? At my age it for sure Is not 99%. Good you guys are lucky, all I say is don't let your guard down specially with what has been happening to children. We obviously were on lockdown and you could buy food an essentials. All retail except those that offered food an essentials had to close. Didn't want people on the street for no reason. So stores that carry non essentials couldn't sell them to not be unfair to stores that had to close. Thank you and you too be safe.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2020, 09:41:34 PM »
In your years on this earth (how many earths have you been on?)  there has never been a pandemic this deadly.  FACT.

If you have been on this earth for longer than 51 years, then you have lived in as deadly a pandemic. FACT.

The Hong Kong flue of late '68 and into '69 killed more than 100,000 Americans and over 1,000,000 deaths globally.  I was a teen then, my dad had this flu and made him very sick.  This was before helicopter parenting.  Schools were not closed.  Sporting events went on.  Woodstock was not canceled.  It was barely in the news, despite the huge numbers in this country and globally. 

24/7 news.  Social media.  Risk aversion.  Attituded have changed.  But factually, yes some of us have lived through a pandemic every bit as bad and I have to believe half of this message board is over the age of 50.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/22/coronavirus-pandemic-shows-how-risk-averse-americans-have-grown/
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2020, 09:46:33 PM »
If you have been on this earth for longer than 51 years, then you have lived in as deadly a pandemic. FACT.

The Hong Kong flue of late '68 and into '69 killed more than 100,000 Americans and over 1,000,000 deaths globally.  I was a teen then, my dad had this flu and made him very sick.  This was before helicopter parenting.  Schools were not closed.  Sporting events went on.  Woodstock was not canceled.  It was barely in the news, despite the huge numbers in this country and globally. 

24/7 news.  Social media.  Risk aversion.  Attituded have changed.  But factually, yes some of us have lived through a pandemic every bit as bad and I have to believe half of this message board is over the age of 50.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/22/coronavirus-pandemic-shows-how-risk-averse-americans-have-grown/
Extremely different situations worldwide. Not a lot of movement specially worldwide or state wide. Had we not done what was done there would most likely be 200k + dead. This is not over by any means and by the way actual immunity has not been established yet. There is still ways to go.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2020, 09:53:17 PM »
Where do you get 99%? At my age it for sure Is not 99%. Good you guys are lucky, all I say is don't let your guard down specially with what has been happening to children. We obviously were on lockdown and you could buy food an essentials. All retail except those that offered food an essentials had to close. Didn't want people on the street for no reason. So stores that carry non essentials couldn't sell them to not be unfair to stores that had to close. Thank you and you too be safe.

For the general public it is very low.  If you are under the age of 44, your chances are very good. 

What has been happening to children?  Not the overreaction, but what has actually been happening?  Are there children that get sick and some that die?  There are some and it is terrible, but the Coronavirus as a cause of death for children will likely not make the top 50 reasons for death according to the statistics.   The chanced of a child dying is 1 in 5.3M based on stats from the UK.  In the United States, it is less than 0.1%.

Now, someone will say that is callous and what if it was your child or grandchild.  We all get it, and the heartstrings pull hardest, but cannot that same comment be made when it is your child killed by a drunk driver, a school shooter, a bully that punches him/her in the head, or any other tragic death to a young person? 
— Plato

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2020, 11:58:47 PM »

The Hong Kong flue

So...in the US...as of today "as deadly"...but probably "less deadly" as of next week.  Gee, thanks.  It was a nice weekend here without you.  How were the properties in Idaho?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2020, 05:04:42 AM »
So...in the US...as of today "as deadly"...but probably "less deadly" as of next week.  Gee, thanks.  It was a nice weekend here without you.  How were the properties in Idaho?

Oh crap! Mod confirmation of Chico's!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2020, 07:51:09 AM »
So...in the US...as of today "as deadly"...but probably "less deadly" as of next week.  Gee, thanks.  It was a nice weekend here without you.  How were the properties compounds in Idaho?

FIFY
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »
Oh crap! Mod confirmation of Chico's!

Not confirmation.  I'm just as suspicious as everyone else.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »
Maybe just hoopaloop’s evil twin?

Or maybe he’s hoopaloop from Bizarro Scoop and somehow has found our world.

Or maybe some kind of nuclear event created an alternative universe situation. He actually has traded places with the real hoopaloop, and he has a goofy goatee like Mr. Spock in that one Star Trek episode.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2020, 12:04:47 PM »

Why was it nice without me? 

The '68-'69 Hong Kong flu killed at least 100,000.  We don't know if it was 110K, 140K or some other number. The CDC isn't sure (sound familiar - even then the CDC could not count).  Worldwide the estimates are the Hong Kong flu killed at least 1M, which is much bigger than the current COVID 19.   If COVID 19 passes it that doesn't make that epidemic any less of a big event. The difference is how we reacted to it as a people.  We went on with our lives, school, sporting events, concerts. 

I don't understand your Idaho comments.  We didn't go to Idaho.  We went to Nashville for a small gathering of family for a relative - social distancing practiced.  Though while we were there we did a little driving and impressed with what we saw.  Will probably wait to see what our youngest does upon graduating Marquette in '21, but considering moving out of Illinois.  Idaho is too far west no family connections of any kind there. 
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2020, 01:18:40 PM »
Congratulations, coach, on being able to leave the hospital.    I hope your recovery continues.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
For the general public it is very low.  If you are under the age of 44, your chances are very good. 

What has been happening to children?  Not the overreaction, but what has actually been happening?  Are there children that get sick and some that die?  There are some and it is terrible, but the Coronavirus as a cause of death for children will likely not make the top 50 reasons for death according to the statistics.   The chanced of a child dying is 1 in 5.3M based on stats from the UK.  In the United States, it is less than 0.1%.

Now, someone will say that is callous and what if it was your child or grandchild.  We all get it, and the heartstrings pull hardest, but cannot that same comment be made when it is your child killed by a drunk driver, a school shooter, a bully that punches him/her in the head, or any other tragic death to a young person?
As of today this is happening in 27 states. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/a-pretty-scary-thing-rare-child-syndrome-tied-to-virus-worries-new-york-100-sick/2413952/
We are still in the early stages of a novel virus. People who had recuperated and tested negative are getting sick again, many variables starting to develop. Hopefully nothing will come of it.

feedback