[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Golden Eagles Alumni TBT 2020  (Read 99635 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Golden Eagles Alumni TBT 2020
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2020, 09:55:48 PM »
If I’m trailing and the other team can get to the target score the next possession I’m using all 30 seconds I have to just try to dribble right into a defender over and over to keep getting free throws and the ball.

I’m glad Dakic likes the Elam ending. This way I know I’m not crazy for hating it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2020, 05:53:01 AM »
If I’m trailing and the other team can get to the target score the next possession I’m using all 30 seconds I have to just try to dribble right into a defender over and over to keep getting free throws and the ball.

I’m glad Dakic likes the Elam ending. This way I know I’m not crazy for hating it.

Do you agree that the worst part of college basketball is the end of the game?  The fouling, time outs, endless commercials.  It is painful and boring to watch.

How would you fix it?  That is why I'm a fan of the Elam Ending. Also, the game ends on a winning basket!
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2020, 08:58:18 AM »
Do you agree that the worst part of college basketball is the end of the game?  The fouling, time outs, endless commercials.  It is painful and boring to watch.

How would you fix it?  That is why I'm a fan of the Elam Ending. Also, the game ends on a winning basket!

I find the end of Elam games even more pointless. Regardless of the style of ending, if the game is close with 4 minutes left you’ll probably have a close game at the end of the game. If the game is out of hand with 4 minutes left, you’ll probably have a boring ending to the game. Just because the team that is ahead by a ton doesn’t want to play defense because if they do they might get called for a foul and give the opponent a FT and the ball back, so the trailing team makes a couple pointless buckets doesn’t make it exciting to me. The announcers getting all excited about, “hey, if (trailing team) gets 2 stops and hits 2 3s this is a game!” When they go on an 8-2 run to cut it to 11 with the leading team needing a single free throw to win the game does absolutely nothing for me.

From what I’ve watched, close games have turned into hack fests down the stretch because you only have 8 points to play with rather than a certain amount of time, and blowouts turn into one side jacking up 3s to try to end the game quickly and on the other end not playing defense to avoid a “flagrant” foul. I mean, last night someone got called for over the back on an offensive rebound attempt and the rebounding team got a free throw and the ball. Boring!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2020, 09:17:12 AM »

Sometimes it is. Especially in those games that are close but not that close. But that's just a sports problem. Football has endless running plays to kill clock. Soccer has players kicking it around the back in a possession game. And an Elam Ending can be just as dull if the game isn't close.

I enjoy it, it's a nice novelty, but I'm not sure I'd want it in all basketball because I like overtime, I like the drama of the clock running down and buzzer-beaters, and that's all lost in Elam. It's good for this environment, but I'm not convinced it's best for everything else.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2020, 09:47:36 AM »
Ideas:

**Give the team that is fouled and in the bonus the option of taking out the ball rather than shooting free throws.

**Get rid of the one-and-one entirely. Two free throws from seven on. This makes fouling more punitive. NBA does it this way.

**Shorten the play clock to 25 seconds the first time it is reset under two minutes of a half.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2020, 10:12:59 AM »
I like the Elam ending for tournaments and unique events like TBT.  99% of basketball is played without a clock, to a fixed score, so it brings the playground element back.  Want to see more strategy at the end?... make it win by 2.  I don't like the new foul rules, but last year did get physical at the end.  It will take time to find the right balance. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
Where did he say that? Just seems wild that a top 25 recruit would be begging to come and wouldn’t get offered

Can't find it but I do remember it was all over on here when he was still being recruited
Maigh Eo for Sam

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »

Newbill would have been better than Reggie Smith.

I agree; however; that wasn't the option.  Reggie was a point guard while DJ would have played 2 or 3. He only played PG at Penn State out of necessity due to an injury. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2020, 10:41:15 AM »
I agree; however; that wasn't the option.  Reggie was a point guard while DJ would have played 2 or 3. He only played PG at Penn State out of necessity due to an injury. 

It wasn’t the option but most definitely could have been one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2020, 10:44:43 AM »
I like the Elam ending for tournaments and unique events like TBT.  99% of basketball is played without a clock, to a fixed score, so it brings the playground element back.  Want to see more strategy at the end?... make it win by 2.  I don't like the new foul rules, but last year did get physical at the end.  It will take time to find the right balance.

Exactly same idea. Elam is a more natural transition then the clock. Win by 3 would be better then 2.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2020, 11:05:26 AM »
Exactly same idea. Elam is a more natural transition then the clock. Win by 3 would be better then 2.

“More of a natural transition than the clock?”  What does that even mean? 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »
“More of a natural transition than the clock?”  What does that even mean?

A vast majority of all basketball games played are to a certain point threshold. The elam ending is a better transition to the official game then a straight clock burnout.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2020, 11:42:54 AM »
A vast majority of all basketball games played are to a certain point threshold. The elam ending is a better transition to the official game then a straight clock burnout.

Are we using the number of pickup games in the world vastly outnumber the number of organized games? Seems to be an odd justification. Let’s play 90% of the game with a clock, but the last 10% won’t be since that’s what most pickup games are.

I’m starting to wonder if Covid will eliminate more TBT teams than being beaten in a game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »
Are we using the number of pickup games in the world vastly outnumber the number of organized games? Seems to be an odd justification. Let’s play 90% of the game with a clock, but the last 10% won’t be since that’s what most pickup games are.

I’m starting to wonder if Covid will eliminate more TBT teams than being beaten in a game.

Yeah every single game in the history of the sport that means something has been played in a certain amount of time.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2020, 12:35:06 PM »

I like it, but I would not want it for regular college basketball games.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »

So we are including pick up games?  🙄🙄🙄. 90% of basketball has call your own fouls too. I guess we should get rid of refs.

Every level of organized play includes a clock. Youth, high school, AAU, college, NBA. Hell I’ve played in adult pick up leagues with a running clock.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2020, 12:48:13 PM »

Newbill would have been better than Reggie Smith.
I cannot prove it, but I always believed the problem arose when Reggie Smith became eligible. I had the impression that Buzz thought Reggie Smith would not qualify. When Reggie, who had already signed, became eligible Buzz no longer had a scholarship available for both Wilson and Newbill. I am not sure why Newbill had not sent in the necessary signed documents, but it allowed him to become the odd man out. The unfortunate part of it was that Smith transferred out before the season was completed.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »
I cannot prove it, but I always believed the problem arose when Reggie Smith became eligible. I had the impression that Buzz thought Reggie Smith would not qualify. When Reggie, who had already signed, became eligible Buzz no longer had a scholarship available for both Wilson and Newbill. I am not sure why Newbill had not sent in the necessary signed documents, but it allowed him to become the odd man out. The unfortunate part of it was that Smith transferred out before the season was completed.

not quite the way things went down.

I'm happy that now we're not signing kids with the "maybe they'll get eligible, maybe they won't" philosophy.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2020, 01:25:30 PM »
My recall was that Newbill's spot came from another player they thought was going prep, but he decided to come right away, which meant there was no room. Could be wrong.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »
MU -8 tonight.

I needed to bet on a sport. It’s been too long.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2020, 02:00:41 PM »
Newbill was the easiest to cut when Jamil wanted to transfer. He had not been admitted to the University yet. No more. No less.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
MU -8 tonight.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2020, 05:20:02 PM »
MU -8 tonight.

There's soccer to bet on daily! Slacker.

Slick

• Walk-On
« Reply #198 on: July 06, 2020, 05:30:28 PM »
Looks like we were moved from the 8:00pm game to the 6:00pm game because a team droped out because of Covid.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »
Acker, Cook, Jamil, Buycks, and Derrick Wilson starters

Yuck.

feedback