[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: DIY when fixing a house?  (Read 20458 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
DIY when fixing a house?
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:01:14 AM »
Just bought the first house. Looking for recommendations on when to DIY and when to go professional.

Has anyone sat back and said "boy I wish we had a designer or architect" or tried to replace old steel plumbing and wished they got a plumber instead? Other recommendations?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: DIY when fixing a house?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 11:56:11 AM »
Just bought the first house. Looking for recommendations on when to DIY and when to go professional.

Has anyone sat back and said "boy I wish we had a designer or architect" or tried to replace old steel plumbing and wished they got a plumber instead? Other recommendations?

IMO, if you can't figure out how to do it from a 15 minute or less YouTube video... get a pro.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
Just took on a re-piping project to get rid of the old galvanized steel pipe in the house.

Quotes came in at 7.5k-9k (+ risk bullet points), but after seeing the word "Uponor Pex" in the quotes I did some research.   I have used pex before, but this is newer "expansion" pex - makes plumbing like assembling legos. The Milwaukee tool kit costs $399 alone, but with about $1000 investment, and some sweat equity I'm saving a ton.

Of course, I've also plumbed using copper and sweating pipes - so I'm not exactly afraid of water, or patching holes in the walls. YMMV.

Anyhow - the couple things I don't do (much of...) is drywall (except some patching) or gas piping.  Not enough patience for the first, too much risk with the second.

Anyhow, for those doing plumbing, check out Uponor.  Cool stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHuTNqy5Xw

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »
Ya, tons of stuff on you tube.  I suck at mudding drywall.  Plumbing and electrical....bring it on.

Lots of skilled trades folks willing to work on the side.  if you are willing to be patient, you will pay a ton less.  However, it does not come with the guarantee of a contractor.  I've built a deck, finished a basement, re-done a bathroom, re-surfaced ceilings and replaced all my windows with career carpenters working on the side.  Prices have ranged from $25 - $50 per hour.  Saved a ton, with no issues. 

Had College Pro paint my house last summer.  Did a great job. 

Roofing...thank god for insurance and hail storms.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 12:46:55 PM »
The one DIY thing I can do really well is write a check.  The handwriting is legible.  Always has the correct date.  Invoice number in the memo line for convenience sake.
 Signature is like a work of art.

Hope this helps.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 12:51:41 PM »
Furnaces are often easy to fix too.  I'm usually attending to the flame sensor every year or two. You can clean it a few times with light sand paper or even a dollar bill.  If it's not the flame sensor, next culprit to check is the ignitor.  Changing that is like changing a light bulb.

Again, if not your gig, pay someone.  If you want to DIY, you'd be surprised how easy some fixes are, and yes, youtube is your friend.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 12:54:09 PM »
Just took on a re-piping project to get rid of the old galvanized steel pipe in the house.

Quotes came in at 7.5k-9k (+ risk bullet points), but after seeing the word "Uponor Pex" in the quotes I did some research.   I have used pex before, but this is newer "expansion" pex - makes plumbing like assembling legos. The Milwaukee tool kit costs $399 alone, but with about $1000 investment, and some sweat equity I'm saving a ton.

Of course, I've also plumbed using copper and sweating pipes - so I'm not exactly afraid of water, or patching holes in the walls. YMMV.

Anyhow - the couple things I don't do (much of...) is drywall (except some patching) or gas piping.  Not enough patience for the first, too much risk with the second.

Anyhow, for those doing plumbing, check out Uponor.  Cool stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHuTNqy5Xw

Fantastic thanks that's actually one of the things I have to do and I've never done any plumbing before. Drywall, painting, floors no problem for me but electric and plumbing have got me concerned.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 01:00:44 PM »
1) Figure out how long it will take to finish the job.  Next, multiply that by a factor of 8-20.
1a)  buy your old lady a day at the spa for your next 3/4th of thr way target date.  Spas book far in advance, so you'll be good.

2)  find your nearest menards, home depot, Lowe's.   Memorize this location.  You'll be going there.  A lot.
2a) find out what hours the hot dog stand is open.

3)  plan a budget. 
3a)  throw it out the window on your next trip to menards.

4)  buy damn near double of what you think you'll need as far as materials.   Your amount of fück ups will be more than you can imagine.

5)  have beer ready on ice.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 01:01:30 PM »
Fantastic thanks that's actually one of the things I have to do and I've never done any plumbing before. Drywall, painting, floors no problem for me but electric and plumbing have got me concerned.
Then I would heartily recommend you do not do them DIY.  Those are two systems within the house can either cause tons of damage if done improperly or actually kill you. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »
1) Figure out how long it will take to finish the job.  Next, multiply that by a factor of 8-20.
1a)  buy your old lady a day at the spa for your next 3/4th of thr way target date.  Spas book far in advance, so you'll be good.

2)  find your nearest menards, home depot, Lowe's.   Memorize this location.  You'll be going there.  A lot.
2a) find out what hours the hot dog stand is open.

3)  plan a budget. 
3a)  throw it out the window on your next trip to menards.

4)  buy damn near double of what you think you'll need as far as materials.   Your amount of fück ups will be more than you can imagine.

5)  have beer ready on ice.

Light beer? dark beer? Ales?
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
Then I would heartily recommend you do not do them DIY.  Those are two systems within the house can either cause tons of damage if done improperly or actually kill you.

I mean, naturally, I disagree, sort of. 
1) You do need to practice a bit to make sure you know what you're doing. 
2) You should read national plumbing and electric codes to know what's required
3) You should go through your local permitting process there and have things inspected so that your home is safe, and give the next buyer peace of mind that it's done correctly.

But -  re-plumbing an entire house is hard (much easier with Uponor, but still..).  Start with a small project that won't shut down all the faucets in your house first to get the hang of it (like a utility sink) - and learn what you thought you knew but didn't!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 01:20:39 PM »

This.  I can and will do simple electrical (replacing outlets or lighting fixtures) and plumbing (replacing toilet valves, seats and washers).  Beyond that, I hire someone.  I'm generally OK where the consequences of a screw-up are that things don't look as good as I would like, but I don't want to kill myself or flood my home.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 01:27:53 PM »
or flood my home.

Last I'll add to this.  Given the situation of my (and galway's) house - the existing steel pipes are more likely to flood the house than the new Pex system.  Watch the video - if you manage to mess up those plumbing connections, you probably shouldn't be doing ANY home improvement at all.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
Light beer? dark beer? Ales?

Miller lite. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 01:48:18 PM »
This.  I can and will do simple electrical (replacing outlets or lighting fixtures) and plumbing (replacing toilet valves, seats and washers).  Beyond that, I hire someone.  I'm generally OK where the consequences of a screw-up are that things don't look as good as I would like, but I don't want to kill myself or flood my home.
Yes, these are examples if things that I will do as well.  If you are talking about adding new outlets or anything beyond replacing/fixing a faucet on the plumbing side, I am not going to do it. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 03:12:04 PM »
Even if someone is “handy” (I am not), I think your time is worth money. For simple math, let’s say Homeowner X makes $100k a year, works 40 hours a week and takes two weeks vacation, so he makes $50 an hour. If you can get a professional to do it for about that, take it.

There’s also no shame in thinking you’re worth time-and-a-half on weekends.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 03:29:16 PM »
Even if someone is “handy” (I am not), I think your time is worth money. For simple math, let’s say Homeowner X makes $100k a year, works 40 hours a week and takes two weeks vacation, so he makes $50 an hour. If you can get a professional to do it for about that, take it.

There’s also no shame in thinking you’re worth time-and-a-half on weekends.

Though if you intend on making gains from selling the home after 3-4 years then your time would be paid to you eventually.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 05:40:17 PM »
Last I'll add to this.  Given the situation of my (and galway's) house - the existing steel pipes are more likely to flood the house than the new Pex system.  Watch the video - if you manage to mess up those plumbing connections, you probably shouldn't be doing ANY home improvement at all.

True story:  when we renovated and added on to our house (about 18 years ago) our contractor asked how I felt about Pex.  I had no idea what it was.  He explained, told me it was as good as copper, a lot easier to work with and cheaper.  I told him that I trusted his judgment and experience and if it was OK to use, I didn't object.  He used Pex on all the new parts of the house.  He did it without inspection.  He closed the walls without inspection.  Problem:  our community didn't allow Pex (at the time anyway...don't know about now).  There was a very pissed off building inspector. And home owner.  As a result, there was a very unhappy contractor who had to redo an awful lot of plumbing (and some drywall) very late in the game -- at his cost.  I suppose the plumber who came in and did that emergency job was pretty happy, though, so there's that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 06:11:04 PM »

That's where I'm at, too. Thankfully my cousin is a contractor in the area, and he's helped us out with a couple more intricate things.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 06:39:05 PM »
He used Pex on all the new parts of the house.  He did it without inspection.  He closed the walls without inspection.  Problem:  our community didn't allow Pex (at the time anyway...don't know about now). 

Lotsa suck there.  I mean, closing the walls before inspection?  And a couple years later the pex was probably approved (so...it *could* have been fine). Most states (except Cali) approved pex about 20 years ago - so you were probably really close! I mean, I'm glad it was done "right", but it probably wasn't "wrong' to begin with!

I used the crimp pex stuff before (probably what he used initially).  It was decent, but you still had to make sure the crimp was good to make a water-tight connection that would hold up to pressure.  This new stuff is a piece of cake compared to even that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »
Eye'm fixin' ta put out a youtube DIY on dentistry, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2020, 07:23:46 PM »
Lotsa suck there.  I mean, closing the walls before inspection?  And a couple years later the pex was probably approved (so...it *could* have been fine). Most states (except Cali) approved pex about 20 years ago - so you were probably really close! I mean, I'm glad it was done "right", but it probably wasn't "wrong' to begin with!

I used the crimp pex stuff before (probably what he used initially).  It was decent, but you still had to make sure the crimp was good to make a water-tight connection that would hold up to pressure.  This new stuff is a piece of cake compared to even that.

Ya own der stock or is ya a sales rep for this chit?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 07:24:53 PM »
Lotsa suck there.  I mean, closing the walls before inspection?

Yeah, there were a number of missed inspections and the local building department was very pissed. Suffice to say that they threatened to have him arrested before it was all over — life safety code violations. It all ended up ok, thankfully.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 07:38:52 PM »
Eye'm fixin' ta put out a youtube DIY on dentistry, hey?

Can the first video be how to make my own grill?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 07:43:11 PM »
I've been making a pretty sweet fixer upper. I had very little experience going in. But just about everything you could ever want has projects of it on YouTube.

From repairing toilets, fridges, air conditioners, to remodeling and taking down walls. There isn't much you cant do if you have YouTube and beer.

I'm currently making a concrete sink with a wood vanity in preperation for my concrete hardtop.

Ps: if it can kill you, use a professional (furnace)

feedback