[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sid turns 100  (Read 924 times)

MU82

• All American
Sid turns 100
« on: May 08, 2020, 08:54:09 AM »
Effen amazing.

https://apnews.com/a9b28b82c1b0be00ac95810fda6ae530

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Just like so many Sunday mornings before, Sid Hartman’s column was printed in the sports section of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Then he joined the sports talk show on WCCO AM radio.

This time, he did so as a 100-year-old.

Hartman’s weekly appearance on “The Sports Huddle” with co-hosts Dave Mona and Mike Max featured callers like former Minnesota Gov. Arne Carlson and former college football coach Lou Holtz, a few of the many famous names Hartman frequently referenced in print as a “close personal friend.” ...

These days, personal nurses are by his side as he makes more limited appearances at games and events. He needs a walker or a wheelchair to get around. Hearing is hard, and his speech is halting and slurred. An iPhone has replaced his oversized, old-fashioned tape recorder.

Nonetheless, Hartman conducts interviews and composes commentary for three columns per week — four during football season — in addition to the radio airtime. Star Tribune copy editor Jeff Day tirelessly handles the transcription and dictation, but make no mistake — the perspective is clearly Hartman’s. He remains acutely aware of the salary-cap challenge the Vikings are facing and the sinking attendance of the Timberwolves as well as the upward trajectory of the Gophers football program and the power-hitting potential of the Twins.

During my decade in Minneapolis, Sid became one of my all-time memorable sports figures. He and I were not "close personal friends," but we got along fine; I was friends with his son, Chad.

One thing that's indisputable: Sid's life story really is incredible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Sid turns 100
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 09:15:11 AM »
I'm amazed at his resiliancy. I remember reading Mr. Hartman as a teenager in the summer at our home near Superior. We read the Star-Tribune as one of four Sunday papers my Dad picked up for the leisurely Sunday read (the Chicago Tribune, the Milwaukee Journal (correct then) and the Duluth News Tribune). He was an excellent sports writer whose columns on the Twins and Vikings were always on point.

Glad to see he's doing as strong as ever!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 11:16:04 PM »
Living to 100 is amazing, but still working? Hard to find a words that are adequate.

I doff my cap, Sid!

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 06:20:58 AM »
Living to 100 is amazing, but still working? Hard to find a words that are adequate.

I doff my cap, Sid!
Lets hope he is working because he wants to and not because he has to.

Sid was a victim of Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme,  but I never heard the $ amounts / percentage of worth lost.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

feedback