[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Books to Read During Quarantine  (Read 14221 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Books to Read During Quarantine
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
Obviously, since I just got through saying Garp was a fave, I disagree that Cider House was better. But I liked it. Irving’s Hotel New Hampshire and Owen Meany also excellent reads.

The World According to Garp was Irving’s masterpiece - absolutely loved it. A Prayer for Owen Meany had parts that were brilliant. Other books by him ranged from OK to good IMO.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2020, 09:38:16 AM »
I just finished “Killers of the Flower Moon” and it was fantastic. It’s about the Osage tribe murders and the FBI. Interesting read based on current times of how white people treated minorities only 100 years ago.

Quick read that read a bit like a Law & Order episode.

A close friend just read it and he recommends it also.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
In retirement, I finally found the courage to read LAST STAND at KHE SANH.
My O.C.S. class is all over the book.
My Khe Sanh friend who has a service dog is in the book.
I can read it until my eyes water up.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »
Obviously, since I just got through saying Garp was a fave, I disagree that Cider House was better. But I liked it. Irving’s Hotel New Hampshire and Owen Meany also excellent reads.

I made the Irving rounds around 25 years ago.  Owen meany (I still have Owen meany’s wrecked and ALL CAPS voice in my head ) and Garp were my favorites. Good collection of short stories too.  Love his characters, and the narrative, although his bringing all plot points together was a bit facile, if humorous

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2020, 09:43:32 AM »
Yes!  See my comment above  Still can’t get him screeching about the armadillo out of my head.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2020, 07:36:27 PM »
The Owen Meany movie was pretty good too. Didn’t have the star power of Garp (Robin Williams, Glenn Close, John Lithgow), but still entertaining. Hotel New Hampshire (the movie) was a dumpster fire.

Edit: For clarification, the movie based on Irving's "A Prayer For Owen Meany" was called "Simon Birch."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:31:44 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »
The Owen Meany movie was pretty good too. Didn’t have the star power of Garp (Robin Williams, Glenn Close, John Lithgow), but still entertaining. Hotel New Hampshire (the movie) was a dumpster fire.

Eh, it just disturbed you that you found yourself attracted to Rob Lowe dressed in drag.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2020, 10:14:44 PM »
Eh, it just disturbed you that you found yourself attracted to Rob Lowe dressed in drag.

Not at all. He had the legs for it. (Unlike Lithgow in Garp!)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
I rarely watch movie adaptations of books I've read, because when I did in the past they were always a disappointment. One notable exception was Hidden Figures - the book was better, but the movie still held its own.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2020, 11:47:33 PM »
Asymmetry - Lisa Halladay.

Just started The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai.

Looking forward to taking some suggestions from earlier and reading Say Nothing and They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us.

The Great Believers is the best book I've read in a couple of years. Strongly recommend.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2020, 04:05:04 PM »
Just finished Owen Meany. Remarkable book; probably my new favorite by John Irving.

Next up is Straight Man by Richard Russo. I enjoyed his writing in Empire Falls, so I decided I would try another of his books.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2020, 04:23:19 PM »
Finishing Black echo,  the first Bosch novel.  (Michael Connelly)

Having watched and enjoyed the series, the book is different yet equally good.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2020, 09:44:48 PM »
Just finished Not Wanted on the Voyage by Timothy Findley.

Highly recommended.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2020, 11:31:19 AM »
Just finished the Woodward book on the outgoing president.

Not going to make this a political discussion, just saying that I felt it was a good read, mostly centered around the 17 conversations Woodward had with Trump. Also interesting stuff from conversations Woodward had with Jared, Mattis and numerous others. It's not often that the American public gets this deep a look into the inner workings of both a president's mind and an administration. Woodward remains one of the most influential journalists in history.

The Mary Trump book was amateur hour in comparison.

For those who like something maybe a little less heavy, both Rick Wilson's book and Rick Reilly's book are easy reads that are quite funny while offering unique insight into the man. Especially Reilly's, which focuses mostly on Trump's behavior/attitude as it relates to golf.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »
I just finished "Say Nothing" about a famous kidnapping and murder in Northern Ireland during the troubles. It was on President Obama's must-read list from 2019. In addition to the murder, it focuses on two sisters who became famous IRA members, the hunger strikers at the Maze Prison (Bobby Sands), the inner workings of the IRA, and what a weasel Gerry Adams has turned out to be. I've read a ton about NI and studied in Belfast for a while and I really enjoyed this.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 04:00:59 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2020, 02:32:47 PM »
I just finished "Say Nothing" about a famous kidnapping and murder in Northern Ireland during the troubles. It was on President Obama's must-read list from 2019. In addition to the murder, it focuses on two sisters who became famous IRA members, the hunger strikers at the Maze Prison (Bobby Sanda), the inner workings of the IRA, and what a weasel Gerry Adams has turned out to be. I've read a ton about NI and studied in Belfast for a while and I really enjoyed this.

I read this as well recently and agree it was a very interesting read. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »
I read this as well recently and agree it was a very interesting read.

the Price sisters. Damn. The level of crazy there to be that dedicated to the cause is high.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2020, 09:02:57 PM »
I just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

Sci-fi/fantasy with an Orwellian-level dystopia. I generally don’t dip into the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but Atwood is such a phenomenal writer and the book is  excellent. It is the first in the MaddAddam trilogy, and I will definitely be reading the last two.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2020, 02:40:23 PM »
I was waiting for a new book order to arrive, so I picked up 1984 from my bookshelf. It was assigned my freshman year ('80-'81) at MU, since we were gonna be the class of 1984. This was my first time re-reading it since back in the fall of '80.

It was so much better than I remembered it. Maybe something about it being assigned reading then and voluntary now, or maybe just the passage of time, but it was so ominous and overwhelming. And of course we now have all the technology to make it possible.....

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2020, 10:57:26 PM »
Finally finished Say Nothing. My knowledge of Irish History and the IRA was embarrassingly low before reading, so the first 75 pages were rough. Once I was able to obtain some familiarity with the era and the people I thoroughly enjoyed it. Brilliantly written. Highly recommend.

Now reading A Burning by Megha Majumdar and it is intriguing. Definitely a lighter read.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2020, 12:28:47 AM »
Leave The World Behind - Rumaan Alam.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2020, 10:42:55 AM »
A close friend just read it and he recommends it also.

Also recommended by a friend, sad to say, not yet in my library, two suggestions, 3 suggestions should be enough.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2020, 10:49:44 AM »
Lately I have not been very intellectual.
Just finished Ice Brothers, again. 
Twilight of Democracy, by Anne Applebaum,  short and sweet.  Just showed me how little I know about a lot.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2021, 02:15:11 PM »
I just finished "Say Nothing" about a famous kidnapping and murder in Northern Ireland during the troubles. It was on President Obama's must-read list from 2019. In addition to the murder, it focuses on two sisters who became famous IRA members, the hunger strikers at the Maze Prison (Bobby Sands), the inner workings of the IRA, and what a weasel Gerry Adams has turned out to be. I've read a ton about NI and studied in Belfast for a while and I really enjoyed this.

Loved it -- enjoyable for the narrative and the recent history aspect.  Pair it with Derry Girls and you have a classic.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2021, 02:16:04 PM »
I just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

Sci-fi/fantasy with an Orwellian-level dystopia. I generally don’t dip into the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but Atwood is such a phenomenal writer and the book is  excellent. It is the first in the MaddAddam trilogy, and I will definitely be reading the last two.

Atwood is amazing- I get lost in the worlds she creates