[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 38676 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Running Thread
« on: April 21, 2020, 05:30:00 PM »
Not sure if there's already one, but any scoopers want to form a virtual running group via Fitbit or another app? Hold each other accountable etc? I said at the beginning of quarantine I'd run every day and so far I've had 1 four mile and 1 five mile run lol so I figure if anyone else is in the same boat maybe we could help each other.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
I try to run four to five times per week. I'd be in. I use Strava as a tracking app which makes it pretty easy to create and maintain groups, but I'm open to whatever.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 07:47:48 PM »
5-6 times per week, but the weather has been crappy at 5:30am lately it's only been 3-4 times.

I use old basic Runkeeper.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 08:07:15 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 08:08:28 PM »
I’ve never understood how people get into running. That’s about the biggest torcher I can think of. Have never experienced a runner’s high in my life.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »
Also, with many road races cancelled because of Coronavirus, many are running a virtual 5K instead.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 08:13:07 PM »
I’ve never understood how people get into running. That’s about the biggest torcher I can think of. Have never experienced a runner’s high in my life.

I've been running since age 13, Freshman year if high school.  37 years and going.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 09:06:50 PM »
I run 3-4 times a week and would love to run more but I'm injury prone so I limit myself so I can keep runing.  I'm having a hard time with a number of things right now and would completely fall apart if I couldn't run.  Running has always been my greatest stress relief.

I have had two marathons canceled due to Covid-19 and a 10K also.  I'm waiting to sign up for any more races until I see events are able to happen again.  I'm feeling a tad lost without a race to train for though.  And I'm so bored with the same old running routes around my house...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 11:12:11 PM »
I run 3-4 times a week and would love to run more but I'm injury prone so I limit myself so I can keep runing.  I'm having a hard time with a number of things right now and would completely fall apart if I couldn't run.  Running has always been my greatest stress relief.

I have had two marathons canceled due to Covid-19 and a 10K also.  I'm waiting to sign up for any more races until I see events are able to happen again.  I'm feeling a tad lost without a race to train for though.  And I'm so bored with the same old running routes around my house...

Agreed on the stress relief.

I've had two halves cancelled and am with you on waiting to sign up until races get underway again. Hoping to do the Twin Cities marathon in fall but I have my doubts.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 07:47:20 AM »

Do you feel good after a general workout?  It's the same thing.

I usually do some running as part of a circuit training type of exercise.  So I don't do great distances, but it is part of my routine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 08:00:33 AM »

Do you feel good after a general workout?  It's the same thing.

I usually do some running as part of a circuit training type of exercise.  So I don't do great distances, but it is part of my routine.

The only time I really run is playing basketball (twice a week). The guys who wear some kind of distance tracker say they typically run about 2 miles total at basketball. Obviously much different than a 2 mile run. I feel fine after that. During the quarantine I’ve started doing yoga for the first time (had thought about doing it earlier to help with neck and upper back stiffness due to sitting at a desk all day). Have found it’s great on the legs except for the knees which it is killing (probably because I’m sure my form sucks) but just okay on the neck and upper back. Do find it to be a good workout and feel good after it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 08:08:29 AM »
I try to run four to five times per week. I'd be in. I use Strava as a tracking app which makes it pretty easy to create and maintain groups, but I'm open to whatever.

Great thats 1, any other scoopers open to the idea?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »

Lol, so you just decided to enter a clearly labeled running thread and chime in that you don't like running?

Ok

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 08:56:07 AM »
Lol, so you just decided to enter a clearly labeled running thread and chime in that you don't like running?

Ok

Yes. Saw running thread. Figured I’d come and discuss my experience with running. My apologies that it doesn’t match up with yours. Looks like your contributions to the thread have been much more on point than mine though...

What is funny is that I’ve had to have chest X-rays done a couple times and without fail the tech comes back and asks if I’m a distance runner and is surprised when I say I hate running. They always say I have very long lungs and usually see that in distance runners.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:59:27 AM by wadesworld »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 10:04:06 AM »
So I'm like Wades... Never could really get into running. I'd top out at a 5k, mainly out of boredom. But I'll play basketball as often as my body will let me.

Now that hoops are off the table for the time being, I'm planning on trying running again. Was thinking about the Couch to 10k app as a guide. Any tips from the more seasoned runners about training apps, or other things to keep in mind as I get started?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »
So I'm like Wades... Never could really get into running. I'd top out at a 5k, mainly out of boredom. But I'll play basketball as often as my body will let me.

Now that hoops are off the table for the time being, I'm planning on trying running again. Was thinking about the Couch to 10k app as a guide. Any tips from the more seasoned runners about training apps, or other things to keep in mind as I get started?

1. Get real running shoes. It makes a huge difference.

2. It is boring at times.I've been running for years and I hate more runs than I enjoy, at least at the beginning. Find something that distracts you whether that's music, audiobooks, podcasts. I sometimes throw Uecker on during Brewers season.

3. I've heard Couch to 10k is good. It may start you off with really light workouts. I'm not sure if you get to pick your starting point but I know the ramp up is slow, and that's a good thing. If you need a tracking app, Strava, Runkeeper, Mapmyrun are all good options.

4. Stretch.

5. Just a suggestion, but have an end goal in mind. Sign up for a race a few months out. It has always helped me with accountability.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 10:26:20 AM »
1. Get real running shoes. It makes a huge difference.

2. It is boring at times.I've been running for years and I hate more runs than I enjoy, at least at the beginning. Find something that distracts you whether that's music, audiobooks, podcasts. I sometimes throw Uecker on during Brewers season.

3. I've heard Couch to 10k is good. It may start you off with really light workouts. I'm not sure if you get to pick your starting point but I know the ramp up is slow, and that's a good thing. If you need a tracking app, Strava, Runkeeper, Mapmyrun are all good options.

4. Stretch.

5. Just a suggestion, but have an end goal in mind. Sign up for a race a few months out. It has always helped me with accountability.
Re: #1, do you have a brand that you favor?  I wear New Balance FreshFoam 1080s and find them to be comfortable.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »
Re: #1, do you have a brand that you favor?  I wear New Balance FreshFoam 1080s and find them to be comfortable.

I'm an Asics guy through and through personally. Have made the mistake of using those for HITT workouts and they do not hold up well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »

I don't think I have a preferred brand. My favorite pair that I had were Saucony's, but I dislike a lot of their other shoes.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
Started running at age 39, I'm now 50.  And I'm 160 lbs, vs. 200 when I started.  I don't run competitively.  Four miles every other day.  Just enough for this old guy.  I use Map My Run.  Brooks Adrenaline for 11 years.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 11:56:53 AM »
Brooks Adrenaline this season.
Mizuno Wave Inspire 14 for 2019.
Brooks Ravenna 8 for 2018.
Brooks Ravenna 7 for 2017.
Brooks Ghost in 2016.
Brooks Ghost in 2015.
New Balance previously.

I didn't like the way the Mizuno's wore and went back to Brooks for this running season.

Go to a running store and try on a bunch of shoes and see what feels and fits right.  As already recommended, don't skimp based on shoe price because your feet will thank you for a better pair.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »

My big stress relief also.  I'm wide awake for the day after every morning run.
I have 6 different routes mapped out in my neighborhood and one route that can be run in reverse order if needed to change things up.  Can also tweak some of the routes shorter or longer depending on the weather or time constraint.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »
Brooks Adrenaline are my go to shoes for just about all exercise. They're the only pair I've ever found that really fit.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »
Quote from: wadesworld link=topic=60446.msg1236275#msg1236275   date=1587517708
I’ve never understood how people get into running. That’s  about the biggest torcher I can think of. Have never experienced a runner’s high in my life.

I used to feel exactly the same way about running. A friend and I would joke that we’d start running when we saw just one guy “jogging” with a smile on his face instead of a grimace. I was in my late 30s and stayed in decent shape without really trying. Softball 3 nights a week in the summer, flag football in the fall, basketball a couple of nights a week in the winter. But by the time I turned 50 my “exercise” was limited to walking on the golf course once a week. I decided to give running a try. At first, I could barely run a mile (slowly) and hated pretty much every stride. Soon it became tolerable, and eventually (to my amazement), enjoyable. Ran 5ks, 10ks and several marathons. Even ran the Boston Marathon 10 years ago. 71 now, just run for exercise (4-5 days, 15-20 miles a week) but I still enjoy it. Never had a big “runner’s high” but times that pass for me as “moments of clarity”. Give it a shot, Wades - hope you end up as pleasantly surprised as  I did.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 04:30:49 PM »
I used to feel exactly the same way about running. A friend and I would joke that we’d start running when we saw just one guy “jogging” with a smile on his face instead of a grimace. I was in my late 30s and stayed in decent shape without really trying. Softball 3 nights a week in the summer, flag football in the fall, basketball a couple of nights a week in the winter. But by the time I turned 50 my “exercise” was limited to walking on the golf course once a week. I decided to give running a try. At first, I could barely run a mile (slowly) and hated pretty much every stride. Soon it became tolerable, and eventually (to my amazement), enjoyable. Ran 5ks, 10ks and several marathons. Even ran the Boston Marathon 10 years ago. 71 now, just run for exercise (4-5 days, 15-20 miles a week) but I still enjoy it. Never had a big “runner’s high” but times that pass for me as “moments of clarity”. Give it a shot, Wades - hope you end up as pleasantly surprised as  I did.

Qualifying for Boston is impressive! It's a goal of mine but I'm not sure I'll ever accomplish it. I think my best hope would be between age 55-65 but who knows. The qualifying times seem to go down every time I start making some progress.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
Always been an athlete but until about 8 years ago hated running. Torn my ACL playing basketball because I was a fat bastard so for a year I couldn't do anything but run. My wife took it up at the same time to get in shape......worked really well(combined with a reasonable diet) as I dropped 65 pounds the year following. I've kept it up, running at least 4 times a week with a long run of at least 6 miles on the weekend.

Did my first and only marathon last year, got under 4 hours and the recovery was miserable for two weeks after so I'm done with that. Love running halves.

I use Garmin as my tracking and distance tool, I'd join a group if one gets started up
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback