[Today at 12:40:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best/worst recruits  (Read 9409 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Best/worst recruits
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2020, 05:26:20 PM »
Dean Marquardt was not really a disappointment.  He was in that tragic accident that killed his girlfriend and left him with a crushed chest , shoulder, etc.  He was lucky to be alive.  Took quite a while to get back to playing condition, but he was never the same after that.

Yeah, I hate to knock a guy because of injuries. But he was an extremely highly rated prospect from nearby and he just didn't play very well until into his senior year. So it was "disappointing." Same kind of thing for Gates, who obviously was hurting. Maybe Taylor too.

Jamil might not have been the stud his physical gifts could’ve helped him become, but he was far from some giant bust. To put him in the category of biggest disappointment in program history is way off in my opinion.

As I said, "for a variety of reasons." I was so excited when Jamil decided to transfer to MU and I, like many, expected him to be an absolute stud. It was disappointing to watch him play timidly, go through the motions, etc. It was especially frustrating when he'd tease us with a great game only to disappear for the next couple/few games. In my opinion, which is all any of this is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »
Ate himself out of a chance to be a really good player.
explain

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2020, 05:30:37 PM »
Yeah, I hate to knock a guy because of injuries. But he was an extremely highly rated prospect from nearby and he just didn't play very well until into his senior year. So it was "disappointing." Same kind of thing for Gates, who obviously was hurting. Maybe Taylor too.

As I said, "for a variety of reasons." I was so excited when Jamil decided to transfer to MU and I, like many, expected him to be an absolute stud. It was disappointing to watch him play timidly, go through the motions, etc. It was especially frustrating when he'd tease us with a great game only to disappear for the next couple/few games. In my opinion, which is all any of this is.

Jamil averaged 12, 6, and 2.5 his senior season (and 10, 5, and 2 his junior season). Just don’t see any possible way he’s one of the biggest disappointments in the history of the program. If he is, then his expectations must’ve been NPOY, #1 overall draft pick, and basketball HOFer, which really isn’t fair.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2020, 06:07:20 PM »
Jamil averaged 12, 6, and 2.5 his senior season (and 10, 5, and 2 his junior season). Just don’t see any possible way he’s one of the biggest disappointments in the history of the program. If he is, then his expectations must’ve been NPOY, #1 overall draft pick, and basketball HOFer, which really isn’t fair.

You are entitled to your opinion, sir.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2020, 06:34:46 PM »
Yeah, I hate to knock a guy because of injuries. But he was an extremely highly rated prospect from nearby and he just didn't play very well until into his senior year. So it was "disappointing." Same kind of thing for Gates, who obviously was hurting. Maybe Taylor too
So, why say “disappointing”.  Sad perhaps, but......

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2020, 08:10:42 PM »
Berkowitz was terrible, so completely overwhelmed once he became eligible that he simply left.  Guy couldnt even get the ball up the court. Completely over whelmed, was prolly a D3 type talent no where a high D1 player.

Brandon Bell was pretty disappointing during that period when Cream couldnt dind us a capable point guard.  A highly  regarded PG his junior year of HS, brother of Charlie Bell n the natl champs MSU.  Came in and absolutely stunk.  Saw  the writing on the wall and left.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2020, 09:58:57 PM »
explain

Went from Charles Barkley big to Sumo wrestler big.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2020, 10:27:47 PM »
Berkowitz was terrible, so completely overwhelmed once he became eligible that he simply left.  Guy couldnt even get the ball up the court. Completely over whelmed, was prolly a D3 type talent no where a high D1 player.

Brandon Bell was pretty disappointing during that period when Cream couldnt dind us a capable point guard.  A highly  regarded PG his junior year of HS, brother of Charlie Bell n the natl champs MSU.  Came in and absolutely stunk.  Saw  the writing on the wall and left.

That’s not why he left.

IMO, the reason Wilson had such high expectations was he was a top 10 kid as a sophomore and the hype train started. People expected first round pick stats out of him based upon that hype when he was 15. Others got better and passed him. He was good but not what people thought he was going to be many years prior.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2020, 11:14:22 PM »
So, why say “disappointing”.  Sad perhaps, but......

Because the question in the OP was: "Who was our most disappointing recruit?"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2020, 06:45:09 AM »
explain

Chocolate Moose was one of the biggest recruits of the Raymonds era. He was recruited in 1982, after being a high school all-American. Before his freshman year, he tore a ligament in his knee. When he showed up on campus, he was like 50 pounds heavier than when he was recruited.

He was badly out of shape his freshman year and played in only 15 games. In short, he was terrible. The Moose transferred to Rutgers, when he played a year and then disappeared behind the same buffet line that beget Refrigerator Perry.

Seriously, the Moose was a bust, big time. It’s sad because he apparently had quite a bit of talent. Would have loved to see the Moose turn to Thunder but it was not to be.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2020, 08:08:07 AM »

Didn't help that "insiders" were saying that he was the best player they'd seen since wade during Jamil's RS year
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2020, 10:57:47 AM »
Didn't help that "insiders" were saying that he was the best player they'd seen since wade during Jamil's RS year

Exactly. We were expecting D-Wade Lite ... or at least Wes Lite. Instead we got a guy who showed us flashes of greatness but far too often was willing to be mediocre (or worse). It was "disappointing," at least to me, which was exactly what the question in the OP asked.

It doesn't mean he was horrible or bad or I hated him or I wish he never was a Warrior. Heck, the shots at the end against Davidson and his performance against Miami -- those two games alone -- were huge contributions to Warriordom.

He simply wasn't close to what we thought he would be.

feedback