Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 80590 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #500 on: May 28, 2020, 05:49:00 PM »
You asked for a list, I gave a quick, off the top of my head list. If Wojo went, there are dozens of coaches that could replace him. Doesn't mean they'd do better or worse, but it's not like we'd have trouble filling the job.

OK, give me a list that actually has coaches on it that would come to Marquette and be BETTER than Wojo so the constant niggles that people here drudge up daily can go away.  Let's see that list.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

muguru

• All American
« Reply #501 on: May 28, 2020, 05:53:12 PM »
OK, give me a list that actually has coaches on it that would come to Marquette and be BETTER than Wojo so the constant niggles that people here drudge up daily can go away.  Let's see that list.

Again...no one knows right now who might be willing to take the MU job, you don't, I don't, no one here knows. Stop asking for names! Who knows what the Coaching landscape at that time will look like. There could be guys that people think MU could never get, but they may have a tie to Scholl some how, or they may be disgruntled at their current job, maybe their wife is from the midwest and wants to move back, it could be any number of reasons a Coach someone(mostly you), thinks MU maybe can't get that could in fact be interested. It's all about timing. It's as simple as that.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

panda

• All American
« Reply #502 on: May 28, 2020, 05:58:48 PM »

TJO

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #503 on: May 28, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »

1. Tony Bennett (He’s from Wisconsin)
2. Brad Stevens (Probably hates the NBA)
3. Dwyane Wade (Played at Marquette)
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Viper

• All American
« Reply #504 on: May 28, 2020, 06:58:13 PM »
funny(u r joking, right?)
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #505 on: May 28, 2020, 09:06:55 PM »

You already got it. Everyone on that list might meet both criteria, until we hire them & give them 5-15 years in the position, you never really know.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #506 on: May 28, 2020, 09:09:03 PM »
Wade has said numerous times he will not coach at any level, would not enjoy it.
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #507 on: May 28, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »

Who knows who would be BETTER than Wojo? We didn’t KNOW KO would be BETTER than Dukiet, we just knew Dukiet wasn’t doing a good enough job. We didn’t KNOW Crean would be better than Deane, we just knew Deane wasn’t doing a good enough job. And we didn’t KNOW that Buzz would be better than Wojo and Crean when he was hired.

Bottom line, you don’t usually fire a coach because you have someone in the wings who will be BETTER. You don’t KNOW the next guy will be the guy, you’re just convinced the guy you’re firing isn’t.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #508 on: May 28, 2020, 09:35:59 PM »
I do trust MU and they believe Coach Wojo is the guy.  You don't.
MU believes in Wojo so they gave him a long term contract and significant raise......oh wait, they didn't.

It's cool you like Wojo but the facts don't support your position.

You don't even defend Wojo. You argue MU can't afford to get rid of him and there is no better alternative.  What a sad argument for Wojo.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #509 on: May 28, 2020, 09:52:30 PM »
Again...no one knows right now who might be willing to take the MU job, you don't, I don't, no one here knows. Stop asking for names! Who knows what the Coaching landscape at that time will look like. There could be guys that people think MU could never get, but they may have a tie to Scholl some how, or they may be disgruntled at their current job, maybe their wife is from the midwest and wants to move back, it could be any number of reasons a Coach someone(mostly you), thinks MU maybe can't get that could in fact be interested. It's all about timing. It's as simple as that.

I agree with you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #510 on: May 28, 2020, 09:58:00 PM »
MU believes in Wojo so they gave him a long term contract and significant raise......oh wait, they didn't.

It's cool you like Wojo but the facts don't support your position.

You don't even defend Wojo. You argue MU can't afford to get rid of him and there is no better alternative.  What a sad argument for Wojo.

You seem to think college basketball coaching contracts are like MLB player contracts. John Calipari’s contract is considered a “lifetime contract” and it’s 10 years long. Wojo not having a contract through 2035 doesn’t mean MU doesn’t believe in Wojo.

You keep saying “the end is near.” How “near?” What will be the last season Wojo is on the sidelines at MU?

Wojo’s contract goes through 2024. Compare that to some of the highest paid college basketball coaches annually and you have Mick Cronin’s contract through 2025, Bill Self’s through 2022, Rick Barnes through 2024, Chris Beard through 2025, Chris Mack through 2025, Bob Huggins through 2022, Bruce Pearl through 2024, Larry Krystowiak through 2023, Gregg Marshall through 2022, etc.

Of the top 20 paid coaches in college basketball, only K, Roy, Cal, Altman, and Tony Bennett’s are more than one year longer than Wojo’s. I guess not many schools are very confident in their basketball coaches.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #511 on: May 28, 2020, 10:12:28 PM »
Who knows who would be BETTER than Wojo? We didn’t KNOW KO would be BETTER than Dukiet, we just knew Dukiet wasn’t doing a good enough job. We didn’t KNOW Crean would be better than Deane, we just knew Deane wasn’t doing a good enough job. And we didn’t KNOW that Buzz would be better than Wojo and Crean when he was hired.

Bottom line, you don’t usually fire a coach because you have someone in the wings who will be BETTER. You don’t KNOW the next guy will be the guy, you’re just convinced the guy you’re firing isn’t.

I rather like this take, Lenny.

I don't believe MU administration is anywhere near convinced that Wojo has to go, but what you say is what almost always leads to a coach getting canned. It's almost always: Fire first, worry about the replacement later.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #512 on: May 28, 2020, 10:34:15 PM »
You seem to think college basketball coaching contracts are like MLB player contracts. John Calipari’s contract is considered a “lifetime contract” and it’s 10 years long. Wojo not having a contract through 2035 doesn’t mean MU doesn’t believe in Wojo.

You keep saying “the end is near.” How “near?” What will be the last season Wojo is on the sidelines at MU?

Wojo’s contract goes through 2024. Compare that to some of the highest paid college basketball coaches annually and you have Mick Cronin’s contract through 2025, Bill Self’s through 2022, Rick Barnes through 2024, Chris Beard through 2025, Chris Mack through 2025, Bob Huggins through 2022, Bruce Pearl through 2024, Larry Krystowiak through 2023, Gregg Marshall through 2022, etc.

Of the top 20 paid coaches in college basketball, only K, Roy, Cal, Altman, and Tony Bennett’s are more than one year longer than Wojo’s. I guess not many schools are very confident in their basketball coaches.
You are missing the point. I don't care about WVU or UT. They may or may not be sold on their coach. MU is not. The school has wisely given themselves an easy out for a reason. 

I was in favor of Wojo's last extention and don't want him fired now.

I don't agree with the ridiculous notion that MU is a hostage to Wojo. If Wojo only wins 8 games next year he will be gone. I don't expect that but I know MU can afford to pay him to go away and their are other coaches that would love the MU job.

At the end of the day my opinion and yours don't mean much.  That's why i look to the known facts.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #513 on: May 28, 2020, 11:03:07 PM »
You are missing the point. I don't care about WVU or UT. They may or may not be sold on their coach. MU is not. The school has wisely given themselves an easy out for a reason. 

I was in favor of Wojo's last extention and don't want him fired now.

I don't agree with the ridiculous notion that MU is a hostage to Wojo. If Wojo only wins 8 games next year he will be gone. I don't expect that but I know MU can afford to pay him to go away and their are other coaches that would love the MU job.

At the end of the day my opinion and yours don't mean much.  That's why i look to the known facts.

The known fact is unless you’re a top 5 coach in the world your contract isn’t going to be much longer than the one MU gave Wojo. That has nothing to do with their confidence level.

Also there’s no way to know whether MU could pay a Wojo’s buyout or not. Nobody here knows what the buyout is. And what’s happening in the world right now is certainly not helping the financial situations of any schools, especially schools like Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #514 on: May 28, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »
The known fact is unless you’re a top 5 coach in the world your contract isn’t going to be much longer than the one MU gave Wojo. That has nothing to do with their confidence level.

Also there’s no way to know whether MU could pay a Wojo’s buyout or not. Nobody here knows what the buyout is. And what’s happening in the world right now is certainly not helping the financial situations of any schools, especially schools like Marquette.
Really good coaches sometimes don't want long term contracts so they will not have to pay a buyout. Some have automatic roll-overs. Some simply don't have to worry about job security.

But you are correct, most coaches are like Wojo and subject to getting axed with multiple years left on the contract.

I'm done arguing the notion that MU can't afford to payout Wojo's contract. This has to be the most ignorant position I've ever read on this board. Arguing that MU will win the next four National Championships has far more merritt than MU is a hostage to Wojo and can't come up with $6MM. (usually negotiated down and paid over many years).

Your logic is basically Wojo has a job for life because we can't payout his contract or MU will let him run out his contract which will be a program killer. Yep, MU is run by idiots. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #515 on: May 29, 2020, 12:16:00 AM »

Hell yeah. NBA stars always work out as great coaches at their alma maters with no previous head coaching experience. Just ask Clyde Drexler, Chris Mullin, and Patrick Ewing.

Interestingly enough, all were in MU’s conference at the time too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #516 on: May 29, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »
Really good coaches sometimes don't want long term contracts so they will not have to pay a buyout. Some have automatic roll-overs. Some simply don't have to worry about job security.

But you are correct, most coaches are like Wojo and subject to getting axed with multiple years left on the contract.

I'm done arguing the notion that MU can't afford to payout Wojo's contract. This has to be the most ignorant position I've ever read on this board. Arguing that MU will win the next four National Championships has far more merritt than MU is a hostage to Wojo and can't come up with $6MM. (usually negotiated down and paid over many years).

Your logic is basically Wojo has a job for life because we can't payout his contract or MU will let him run out his contract which will be a program killer. Yep, MU is run by idiots.

I have no idea what Wojo's buyout is.  It could be $5.  It could be $25M.  If it's the latter, MU is "hostage" to Wojo's contract.  In case you've been living under a rock since January, what was once "affordable" is now impossible to pay in many areas of the world.  At the moment, even if Marquette wanted out of Wojo's contract, if the buyout is substantial enough, it would be very difficult for Marquette to pay his buyout and then to pay a new coach (plus the coach's buyout at the other school, if he's under contract).  Marquette being in tough times financially has nothing to do with idiots running the university.  The worldwide economy is being killed right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #517 on: May 29, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »
Here is my list

None

That is why I am not on the fire Wojo band wagon.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #518 on: May 29, 2020, 09:20:10 AM »
How many pages in this thread since any discussion of Bailey declaring?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #519 on: May 29, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »

There's a difference between "can't fire Wojo now" and "can't fire Wojo ever." I think those bringing up the buyout are responding to those stating that Wojo should have been fired at the end of this season.

My expectation is that if next season is a bust, Wojo will be offered a contract extension in exchange for some renegotiating that will make it a lot easier to fire him the following year or the year after that. If he performs well after that, he'll earn a big fat contract extension. If he doesn't, he'll be let go with significantly less penalty to MU. He of course could get pissed and leave, but then MU gets rid of him with no penalty.

That's of course assuming that next season is a bust. I'm less hopeful than I was with Bailey in the fold but I still think a solid (for a rebuilding year) season is still very much possible. Of course everyone has a different definition of "bust" and "solid" so no matter what the result, some one will be disappointed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #520 on: May 29, 2020, 09:31:07 AM »
On Bailey, I am definitely disappointed he won't be playing for us. His loss lowers this team's ceiling (and it's floor). But as I've reflected on it, other than maybe Cain or Akanno (just because he's a giant ?), he may have been the most replaceable player on the roster. We just brought in 3 talented freshmen at this position, he was at best only few ticks better than Cain. I've long said that Cain posses more upside than anyone else on the roster. If he can finally put it all together it would do wonders for us next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #521 on: May 29, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »
On Bailey, I am definitely disappointed he won't be playing for us. His loss lowers this team's ceiling (and it's floor). But as I've reflected on it, other than maybe Cain or Akanno (just because he's a giant ?), he may have been the most replaceable player on the roster. We just brought in 3 talented freshmen at this position, he was at best only few ticks better than Cain. I've long said that Cain posses more upside than anyone else on the roster. If he can finally put it all together it would do wonders for us next season.

The area where I think losing BB the most is the depth he would provide.  Whether you think BB or Jamal was the better player, I think everyone would agree that they were both inconsistent, and one area that I think Wojo had improved is riding the hot hand.  It's no coincidence that Jamal's season low in minutes came against Maryland, and BB's season low in minutes came against K-State.  You had the option that if one was playing poorly to ride the other.  We potentially still have that option depending on how "ready" Oso is, but I also think that it would be an extremely tough argument to make that in 20-21 Oso will be a more consistent player than BB would have been. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #522 on: May 29, 2020, 10:26:11 AM »
I have no idea what Wojo's buyout is.  It could be $5.  It could be $25M.  If it's the latter, MU is "hostage" to Wojo's contract.  In case you've been living under a rock since January, what was once "affordable" is now impossible to pay in many areas of the world.  At the moment, even if Marquette wanted out of Wojo's contract, if the buyout is substantial enough, it would be very difficult for Marquette to pay his buyout and then to pay a new coach (plus the coach's buyout at the other school, if he's under contract).  Marquette being in tough times financially has nothing to do with idiots running the university.  The worldwide economy is being killed right now.
Trust me, or better yet talk to an attorney, the contracting entity (MU) does NOT pay buyouts. MU has to pay Wojo $2MM per year over the next four years. They can tell him to sit at home but they still have to pay the $8MM. They don't even have to terminate the contract, they can simply hire another coach.

Plus there is usually a clause that if he takes another job, the salary from the new job would offset MU's obligation.

The contracted employee (Wojo) most likely has to pay a buyout if he terminates the contract to take a similar job.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #523 on: May 29, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »

Wake Forest fired Danny Manning with a $15 million dollar buyout in the middle of a pandemic. I'd be willing to bet massive amounts of $$ Wojo's buyout is nowhere close to that...so if Wake can afford $15 mill(or a large negotiated settlement) MU certainly could if necessary.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #524 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »
Wake Forest fired Danny Manning with a $15 million dollar buyout in the middle of a pandemic. I'd be willing to bet massive amounts of $$ Wojo's buyout is nowhere close to that...so if Wake can afford $15 mill(or a large negotiated settlement) MU certainly could if necessary.
As for Manning and his "buy out"

"As has been noted in the past, Manning’s buyout is significant. In Nov. 2018, Goodman reported that Manning’s buyout hovered around $18 million at the time, assumedly because the coach then had six years left on his deal, at an average of about $3 million per season. That same math would leave the current buyout number at $15 million, since “only” five years remain on the contract now."

Crazy how the "buy out" is the amount left on the contract.

feedback