Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 80637 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #475 on: May 27, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »
There is also 200+ programs that have no business being in D1 basketball
Then who would Georgetown play? ;D

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #476 on: May 27, 2020, 04:24:18 PM »
Then who would Georgetown play? ;D

Touché

Condensing the available D1 spots would increase competition at the highest level.  It would probably improve the product, players and coaching.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #477 on: May 27, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
Touché

Condensing the available D1 spots would increase competition at the highest level.  It would probably improve the product, players and coaching.
I wouldn't be opposed to the P6 and some other schools (Gonzaga, Memphis, Cinci, etc.) splitting into a new division.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #478 on: May 27, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »
I wouldn't be opposed to the P6 and some other schools (Gonzaga, Memphis, Cinci, etc.) splitting into a new division.

More schools than ever are trying to get to the D1 level.  Mid-to-low majors have the deck stacked against them more than ever with 20-game conference seasons in the big boy leagues.  I don’t see another Gonzaga happening in my lifetime. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #479 on: May 27, 2020, 05:21:11 PM »

I don't mind having some low majors. I see the value in cupcake games. But there's about 15 or 16 conferences that I think are better suited for D2. Would love to see the total # of schools in D1 reduced to the 125-175 range.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #480 on: May 27, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »
More schools than ever are trying to get to the D1 level.  Mid-to-low majors have the deck stacked against them more than ever with 20-game conference seasons in the big boy leagues.  I don’t see another Gonzaga happening in my lifetime.
I would agree. Men's basketball is a great way to generate revenue for other non-revenue sports. Women's sports at lower levels would suffer. BUT, it would allow for compensation for some basketball and football players.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #481 on: May 27, 2020, 08:41:08 PM »
I don't mind having some low majors. I see the value in cupcake games. But there's about 15 or 16 conferences that I think are better suited for D2. Would love to see the total # of schools in D1 reduced to the 125-175 range.
Another way to achieve this would be to reduce full scholarships from 13 to 10  and have the rest of the roster filled with walkons . That would push about 300 quality players ( top 100 teams) down to the mid and low majors.  Would create some excitement for those schools over time.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #482 on: May 27, 2020, 08:41:58 PM »
I can understand believing Wojo has done a fine job and there is no reason to make a change. I don't understand the idea MU can not afford to make a change or that there are no qualified candidates. So this is the best MU can do and can never make a coaching change because they can't afford it? You must not think highly of MU. I 100% guaranty MU can afford to make a change.

The people that usually make guarantees about things like that are rarely those that have enough money or power to do it themselves.  They spend other people's money because they have no risk themselves to deal with and the fallout if it fails, means nothing so any half-brained idea is thrown out there.   Let's hear the names that we would hire and who are whales that are guaranteed to step up to pay for him and pay for the buyout, all during an economic downturn.  100% guarantee I'd like to understand those details.

I think very highly of MU.  The first goal should be to get to the NCAA tournament, which we have done 3 of the last 4 years.  So many of you have said we are not able to recruit the kids coach Williams recruited, but you expect the same results despite the ingredients not allowed to be shopped for.  This inconsistency still doesn't resonate with some here. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #483 on: May 27, 2020, 08:47:35 PM »
a better measure would be NCAA bids since Al retired. We had a once-in-a-lifetime coach during a period where we were set up to be successful. When the Big East formed and southern football schools started pouring more money into their programs the landscape changed. UCLA, the one program better than us in the '70s, has not come anywhere close to replicating their success of that decade and ever will.  MU is not a blueblood, we never will be.  A 75% rate of making the tourney, 300+ programs in the country would take that in a second.

I lived it on campus. It was a special time, but also one that too many are unwilling to ever separate completely from who we are the man that coached here.  They say they can and they say they are realistic, but deep down they cannot.  Since Al retired Marquette has been to the NCAA tournament 22 times in 43 seasons.  One of every two years.  That is pretty darn good.  Wojo has kept the averages in place with 3 bids in his 6 years and doing it (based on accounts here) by having to layoff some recruits Coach Crean and Coach Williams were allowed to go after.
— Plato

panda

• All American
« Reply #484 on: May 27, 2020, 08:47:51 PM »
The people that usually make guarantees about things like that are rarely those that have enough money or power to do it themselves.  They spend other people's money because they have no risk themselves to deal with and the fallout if it fails, means nothing so any half-brained idea is thrown out there.   Let's hear the names that we would hire and who are whales that are guaranteed to step up to pay for him and pay for the buyout, all during an economic downturn.  100% guarantee I'd like to understand those details.

I think very highly of MU.  The first goal should be to get to the NCAA tournament, which we have done 3 of the last 4 years.  So many of you have said we are not able to recruit the kids coach Williams recruited, but you expect the same results despite the ingredients not allowed to be shopped for.  This inconsistency still doesn't resonate with some here.

Making the tournament was never the goal during Crean/Buzz years, it was minimum expectation.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #485 on: May 27, 2020, 08:53:00 PM »
I lived it on campus. It was a special time, but also one that too many are unwilling to ever separate completely from who we are the man that coached here.  They say they can and they say they are realistic, but deep down they cannot.  Since Al retired Marquette has been to the NCAA tournament 22 times in 43 seasons.  One of every two years.  That is pretty darn good.  Wojo has kept the averages in place with 3 bids in his 6 years and doing it (based on accounts here) by having to layoff some recruits Coach Crean and Coach Williams were allowed to go after.

You realize a program like Gonzaga has been to the NCAA's like 17 straight years..stop and think about that...17 straight(or something like that) as opposed to MU making it 22 times in 43 years..How many times since 2000 has Wisconsin(of all programs made it since 2000?? AQll but like 2 years?? So 18 of their last 20 or so?? And you want to applaud a program like MU for making it 22 of 43 years?? Absolutely shameful.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #486 on: May 27, 2020, 09:01:41 PM »
You realize a program like Gonzaga has been to the NCAA's like 17 straight years..stop and think about that...17 straight(or something like that) as opposed to MU making it 22 times in 43 years..How many times since 2000 has Wisconsin(of all programs made it since 2000?? AQll but like 2 years?? So 18 of their last 20 or so?? And you want to applaud a program like MU for making it 22 of 43 years?? Absolutely shameful.
What about before and ultimately after Few/Monson?  It’s more about an extend Al period....?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #487 on: May 27, 2020, 09:05:58 PM »

Can I pay for Wojo's payout? No. I can pay for a lot of it. Will I? No. I'm not convinced we need to yet.

To think MU is held hostage by Wojo's contract is crazy. If you think MU is that stupid, then another program might be a better option for you.

When or if Wojo is let go there will be 2 or 3 years left on his contract.

I know that MU has a list of potential replacements already in place. To even consider MU doesn't again is to assume they are stupid.

I guess I trust/know MU. You don't.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #488 on: May 27, 2020, 09:06:57 PM »

Yes and I think 3 or 4 others have.  Which means 350 others haven't.  There are always the exceptions to the rule.

Who are we hiring?  Why cannot someone throw some names that are coming here.  Who is paying the buyout and the new guy's salary, while also guaranteeing he stays 20+ years like Mark Few has since you used him in your example.  Also, are we moving to the Horizon League to have a similar setup as Gonzaga? 
— Plato

panda

• All American
« Reply #489 on: May 27, 2020, 09:09:32 PM »
Yes and I think 3 or 4 others have.  Which means 350 others haven't.  There are always the exceptions to the rule.

Who are we hiring?  Why cannot someone throw some names that are coming here.  Who is paying the buyout and the new guy's salary, while also guaranteeing he stays 20+ years like Mark Few has since you used him in your example.  Also, are we moving to the Horizon League to have a similar setup as Gonzaga?

https://unlvrebels.com/images/2019/7/10/Otzelberger_D72815_028.jpg?width=300

muguru

• All American
« Reply #490 on: May 27, 2020, 09:14:28 PM »

You always ask for names and it's nauseating. Those situations are always fluid. It depends on the landscape in that particular year. It makes NO sense..zero..none to "give you names" now, when it's not even an issue. If/when the time comes, and the landscape is known, then people can give you names. It's simple really.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #491 on: May 28, 2020, 07:11:36 AM »
You always ask for names and it's nauseating. Those situations are always fluid. It depends on the landscape in that particular year. It makes NO sense..zero..none to "give you names" now, when it's not even an issue. If/when the time comes, and the landscape is known, then people can give you names. It's simple really.

+1

Any AD worth their paycheck has a list of names ready to go to fill their vacancies at any given time. I've provided such lists before, but depending on the timing, Wardle, TJO, Thad Matta, John Beilein, John Becker, Bob Richey, Kyle Keller, Scott Nagy, Craig Smith, and Chris Mooney are all guys that you could kick the tires on who wouldn't have completely prohibitive buyouts.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #492 on: May 28, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »
+1

Any AD worth their paycheck has a list of names ready to go to fill their vacancies at any given time. I've provided such lists before, but depending on the timing, Wardle, TJO, Thad Matta, John Beilein, John Becker, Bob Richey, Kyle Keller, Scott Nagy, Craig Smith, and Chris Mooney are all guys that you could kick the tires on who wouldn't have completely prohibitive buyouts.

Cannot believe that Ners is not on your list, brewski!

Or is his buyout too high?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #493 on: May 28, 2020, 10:26:55 AM »
Cannot believe that Ners is not on your list, brewski!

Or is his buyout too high?

Someone who can dunk would be good for noon ball...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #494 on: May 28, 2020, 11:21:14 AM »
Someone who can dunk would be good for noon ball...

But you couldn't dunk in high school so how could ever possibly understand the intricacies of noon ball?

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #495 on: May 28, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »
Someone who claims they candunk would be good for noon ball...
FIFY

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #496 on: May 28, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »
+1

I'm sure a young buck somewhere has on his list a bunch of women he would like to date or more, but that doesn't mean much. 

Most of the people on your list are over the hill or lateral moves at best. A few others would say no.  But if they are on a list of our AD, that is great.  TJO sure has some people excited, but he performed on average to what the last few South Dakota State coaches had done.  He took over a NCAA team at SDSU and won their conference tournament in an upset to go to the NCAAs (finished 18-17).  NCAA second year, NIT third year.  The last guy that left SDSU, Scott Nagy, was supposed to be the deal and he's made it to one post season tournament in four years.   I would like a longer track record with UNLV to see how TJO actually does. 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #497 on: May 28, 2020, 05:15:53 PM »
Can I pay for Wojo's payout? No. I can pay for a lot of it. Will I? No. I'm not convinced we need to yet.

To think MU is held hostage by Wojo's contract is crazy. If you think MU is that stupid, then another program might be a better option for you.

When or if Wojo is let go there will be 2 or 3 years left on his contract.

I know that MU has a list of potential replacements already in place. To even consider MU doesn't again is to assume they are stupid.

I guess I trust/know MU. You don't.

I do trust MU and they believe Coach Wojo is the guy.  You don't.
— Plato

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #498 on: May 28, 2020, 05:18:41 PM »
I'm sure a young buck somewhere has on his list a bunch of women he would like to date or more, but that doesn't mean much. 

Most of the people on your list are over the hill or lateral moves at best. A few others would say no.  But if they are on a list of our AD, that is great.  TJO sure has some people excited, but he performed on average to what the last few South Dakota State coaches had done.  He took over a NCAA team at SDSU and won their conference tournament in an upset to go to the NCAAs (finished 18-17).  NCAA second year, NIT third year.  The last guy that left SDSU, Scott Nagy, was supposed to be the deal and he's made it to one post season tournament in four years.   I would like a longer track record with UNLV to see how TJO actually does.

You asked for a list, I gave a quick, off the top of my head list. If Wojo went, there are dozens of coaches that could replace him. Doesn't mean they'd do better or worse, but it's not like we'd have trouble filling the job.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #499 on: May 28, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »
You asked for a list, I gave a quick, off the top of my head list. If Wojo went, there are dozens of coaches that could replace him. Doesn't mean they'd do better or worse, but it's not like we'd have trouble filling the job.

Exactly...let's not forget about this...https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-school-is-the-most-underrated-job-in-college-basketball/

On Marquette

"The Marquette job, the resources are out of this world and they want to be really good. The facilities are getting even better and the brand new arena helps too. If you have even close to being good the support shows up too."
"Loyal, passionate fan base. Great tradition. No football. Pro city and they invest big time in hoops."
"Huge budget, passionate fans, NBA facility, history of pros, recruiting base but can recruit nationally.

There would be plenty of interest. And, I must say it seems Scholl is very good at identifying good Coaches with the hires he's made at MU thus far. And let's remember..Wojo was essentially Lovell's hire more than it was Scholl's hire.