'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 80105 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #450 on: May 25, 2020, 10:06:13 PM »
I highlighted the crux of your statement for you...MU in a "rebuild" year. That also should never happen at MU. Are they a blue blood and can reload?? Of course not, but MU's program should be such(and the talent level should be good enough) that a "rebuild" year should at WORST have them in the bubble conversation.
Agreed. (MU is coming off an 8-10 conf record and now it’s rebuild? It seems like it’s been ‘rebuild’ for 7 yrs now.)
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #451 on: May 25, 2020, 10:14:04 PM »
Agreed. (MU is coming off an 8-10 conf record and now it’s rebuild? It seems like it’s been ‘rebuild’ for 7 yrs now.)

If you are making the NCAA tournament 3 of 4 years, those are not rebuilding years. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2020, 10:37:10 PM »
Wishing Mr. Bailey well.  Maddeningly inconsistent, but he will be missed.  Long arms, good rebounder, streaky shooting.

So not a “Marquette all timer”?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #453 on: May 25, 2020, 10:51:52 PM »

I never indicated I was referring to next year. It was a hypothetical situation as why it made no sense to deal in absolutes about not losing to Depaul ever.
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2020, 11:14:14 PM »
I highlighted the crux of your statement for you...MU in a "rebuild" year. That also should never happen at MU. Are they a blue blood and can reload?? Of course not, but MU's program should be such(and the talent level should be good enough) that a "rebuild" year should at WORST have them in the bubble conversation.
[/quote)
North Carolina had a losing record this year. MU will have years where they are rebuilding.

Remove Markus and DePaul had more talent than MU last year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #455 on: May 25, 2020, 11:19:05 PM »
So a team MU definitely shouldn’t lose to. Especially without their best player.....

I was at that game. I don’t remember DePaul missing their best player.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #456 on: May 25, 2020, 11:27:28 PM »
Yep you’re right. The team who went 3-15 in conference, but beat a couple teams with a pulse in November shouldn’t be considered a bad loss. Sounds about right!

You clearly do not know what you are talking about. Last year had two of the better upperclassmen players in the conference in Moore and Reed, and one of the best freshmen.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

panda

• All American
« Reply #457 on: May 26, 2020, 03:18:26 AM »
I was at that game. I don’t remember DePaul missing their best player.

Do you see anyone missing from this box score?

https://barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=MarquetteDePaul3-3&year=2020

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #458 on: May 26, 2020, 06:43:50 AM »
It takes five rebuilds to judge.

Since Brent left the cupboard bare, Wojo just completed his first rebuild.

Patience, Golden Eagles. Patience.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #459 on: May 26, 2020, 12:28:53 PM »
I was going to wish Brendan well, until I read on the Badger boards that the real reason he's not coming back is because he was paid by Joey H. to stay away so Wojo wouldn't have a year with no defections.
Good riddance, I say.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Viper

• All American
« Reply #460 on: May 26, 2020, 01:41:11 PM »
If you are making the NCAA tournament 3 of 4 years, those are not rebuilding years.
its seems as if you are settling. At MU...No football to deal with. A very solid basketball history and tradition. Let’s set the bar higher than what’s been delivered since that last ncaa tourney win.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #461 on: May 26, 2020, 02:29:00 PM »
its seems as if you are settling. At MU...No football to deal with. A very solid basketball history and tradition. Let’s set the bar higher than what’s been delivered since that last ncaa tourney win.

THANK YOU!! The thought that you quoted, permeates throughout the MU fan base. Likely always will for whatever reason. It's always been a mind boggling thing to me.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #462 on: May 26, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »
THANK YOU!! The thought that you quoted, permeates throughout the MU fan base. Likely always will for whatever reason. It's always been a mind boggling thing to me.
Not everyone can be as irrational as you are.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #463 on: May 26, 2020, 05:06:47 PM »
Not everyone can be as irrational as you are.

And then this is the common response...yawn.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #464 on: May 26, 2020, 05:30:06 PM »
And then this is the common response...yawn.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #465 on: May 26, 2020, 11:20:40 PM »

You didn't answer the question.  Who are you hiring to replace him?  Who is paying the buyout?  I might be on board with your call to arms, but I want to hear this plan rather than the same old tired argument that we are merely settling for NCAAs 3 in 4 years.  If you know MU's history, 3 NCAAs every 4 years is above average for MU and not settling at all.  Since our first berth in 1955, we have received 35 bids (we turned one down to the NIT and I'm going to say we got one this season).  35 bids in 65 years, barely 1 bid every 2 years.

But who are you hiring? Who is paying the freight for Wojo to go and pay the new guy?  And why will a new guy come here knowing that our fans want him out if he only delivers mediocre results of 3 NCAAs every 4 years?  Throw us a few names, please.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #466 on: May 27, 2020, 08:59:01 AM »

If we were Providence, I'd agree. But is just making the tournament really the be-all? Is that the goal? 2004 and 2005 had their own issues, but we were still rebuilding with freshmen in 2006 and made the tournament. 2010 was unquestionably a rebuilding year and we made the tournament. Last year should've been an apex year, but the end result was less convincing than either of those rebuilding years.

Next year, without Bailey, we are now losing three starters and three of our top four scorers. That's a rebuild. I'd be overjoyed if it were as successful as 2006 or 2010, but I don't expect it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #467 on: May 27, 2020, 09:43:15 AM »
But who are you hiring? Who is paying the freight for Wojo to go and pay the new guy?  And why will a new guy come here knowing that our fans want him out if he only delivers mediocre results of 3 NCAAs every 4 years?  Throw us a few names, please.
I can understand believing Wojo has done a fine job and there is no reason to make a change. I don't understand the idea MU can not afford to make a change or that there are no qualified candidates. So this is the best MU can do and can never make a coaching change because they can't afford it? You must not think highly of MU. I 100% guaranty MU can afford to make a change.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #468 on: May 27, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
You didn't answer the question.  Who are you hiring to replace him?  Who is paying the buyout?  I might be on board with your call to arms, but I want to hear this plan rather than the same old tired argument that we are merely settling for NCAAs 3 in 4 years.  If you know MU's history, 3 NCAAs every 4 years is above average for MU and not settling at all.  Since our first berth in 1955, we have received 35 bids (we turned one down to the NIT and I'm going to say we got one this season).  35 bids in 65 years, barely 1 bid every 2 years.

I'm not suggesting Wojo is released. I have hope things will turn for the better. My point is simply that many MU hoops fans seem to be ok with a team that...quite frankly, has been what has been these past 7 seasons or so. Hence, why not set a higher standard? You are ok with the past 4 seasons? Come on, think bigger.  If Wojo is coach, fine. But, Why can’t MU be a Blueblood once again? Why? If the roadblocks to elite status are insurmountable, so be it. But doesn’t it seem as if the majority are ok with the way things are? Look, we all love MU hoops. We all want to see Marquette dominate. So, let’s explore how that can happen. A winning tradition is there. Top shelf facilities? Check. Money? Check. Apathy? Unfortunately, check.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #469 on: May 27, 2020, 10:23:00 AM »
I'm not suggesting Wojo is released. I have hope things will turn for the better. My point is simply that many MU hoops fans seem to be ok with a team that...quite frankly, has been what has been these past 7 seasons or so. Hence, why not set a higher standard? You are ok with the past 4 seasons? Come on, think bigger.  If Wojo is coach, fine. But, Why can’t MU be a Blueblood once again? Why? If the roadblocks to elite status are insurmountable, so be it. But doesn’t it seem as if the majority are ok with the way things are? Look, we all love MU hoops. We all want to see Marquette dominate. So, let’s explore how that can happen. A winning tradition is there. Top shelf facilities? Check. Money? Check. Apathy? Unfortunately, check.

I think the end of this past season gave Wojo a bit of a reprieve because things were not trending positive when the season ended.  Just before that, I had felt more frustration with Wojo than at any point of his tenure.

But anyway, to your point, becommming an elite program without cheating is difficult.  You have to 1-Find the right coach, 2-Hope he develops the program, and 3-Doesn't leave for elsewhere.

In the last 10+ years, only two non-football schools have been able to accomplish this:  Villanova and Gonzaga.  So yeah, it most definitely is possible for Marquette to do it.  It's just going to take a lot of hard work and luck.  And IMO the Marquette administration believes that have found the right coach, and is in the midst of developing the program.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #470 on: May 27, 2020, 10:23:18 AM »

Apathy?  Nearly every thread develops into a Wojo debate.  That’s not apathy
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #471 on: May 27, 2020, 12:27:28 PM »

a better measure would be NCAA bids since Al retired. We had a once-in-a-lifetime coach during a period where we were set up to be successful. When the Big East formed and southern football schools started pouring more money into their programs the landscape changed. UCLA, the one program better than us in the '70s, has not come anywhere close to replicating their success of that decade and ever will.  MU is not a blueblood, we never will be.  A 75% rate of making the tourney, 300+ programs in the country would take that in a second.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #472 on: May 27, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »
A 75% rate of making the tourney, 300+ programs in the country would take that in a second.
You make some good points but 300+ programs in the country would take Marquette's basketball budget in a second also.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #473 on: May 27, 2020, 12:41:00 PM »
You make some good points but 300+ programs in the country would take Marquette's basketball budget in a second also.

There is also 200+ programs that have no business being in D1 basketball

Viper

• All American
« Reply #474 on: May 27, 2020, 01:23:50 PM »

I think the end of this past season gave Wojo a bit of a reprieve because things were not trending positive when the season ended.  Just before that, I had felt more frustration with Wojo than at any point of his tenure.

But anyway, to your point, becommming an elite program without cheating is difficult.  You have to 1-Find the right coach, 2-Hope he develops the program, and 3-Doesn't leave for elsewhere.

In the last 10+ years, only two non-football schools have been able to accomplish this:  Villanova and Gonzaga.  So yeah, it most definitely is possible for Marquette to do it.  It's just going to take a lot of hard work and luck.  And IMO the Marquette administration believes that have found the right coach, and is in the midst of developing the program.
i agree. Villanova and Gonzaga have been great, as you mention. Not entirely sure of their secret, but hopefully the MU administration has found the right guy in Wojo, and their loyalty to him pays off.