[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sunlight kills virus quickly  (Read 8756 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Sunlight kills virus quickly
« on: April 18, 2020, 01:55:52 PM »
Sunlight and heat appear to kill the virus quickly.  Some good news according to preliminary results of study.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/04/17/sunlight-destroys-virus-quickly-new-govt-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-last-through-summer/24017889/

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Sunlight kills virus quickly
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 02:27:33 PM »
Perfect, we can get back to business as normal - as long as that business occurs on a outdoor patio on a sunny day  8-)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 02:31:13 PM »
Our warm weather miracle!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »
Landscaping, home construction, general outdoor construction, open up the parks, outdoor sports...   It is time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
Landscaping, home construction, general outdoor construction, open up the parks, outdoor sports...   It is time.

This all varies by the state anyway.  Around me - contractors, landscaping, etc are essential, and parks are open (except playgrounds and areas that lots of people would congregate).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 04:55:03 PM »

Except for parks and sports, never stopped in NC.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 05:33:57 PM »
Define quickly? It is likely true that several hours of exposure (depending on UV content) to the sun will kill the virus. But, if you are playing in a park, and a person is breathing hard, and you are breathing in the same air, the sun is having no effect on the virus.

There really hasn't been much fear of people getting infected from sidewalks, and surfaces outside. It is when people are not social distancing that there is a problem.

But I'm game, let's just have everyone work outside, 6-8 feet apart.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 06:10:55 PM »
This all varies by the state anyway.  Around me - contractors, landscaping, etc are essential, and parks are open (except playgrounds and areas that lots of people would congregate).

Same here in Connecticut.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 10:04:01 PM »
Define quickly? It is likely true that several hours of exposure (depending on UV content) to the sun will kill the virus. But, if you are playing in a park, and a person is breathing hard, and you are breathing in the same air, the sun is having no effect on the virus.

The link had the actual DHS presentation.

At "Full Intensity" the half-life was 2 minutes.  Half Intensity = 3 min,  Quarter = 4 minutes.

Full Intensity = "NYC during a clear day on summer solstice" ..
Quarter = "NYC clear day end of February.

"Sunlight reduced infectious virus to undetectable after just 3 minutes of exposure to the equivalent of midday sun on a clear day in the middle latitudes of the US."

If true .. that's really promising.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 10:33:44 PM »

At "Full Intensity" the half-life was 2 minutes.  Half Intensity = 3 min,  Quarter = 4 minutes.

"Sunlight reduced infectious virus to undetectable after just 3 minutes of exposure to the equivalent of midday sun on a clear day in the middle latitudes of the US."

...for a few months... and deeennnnnn
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 12:13:16 AM »

Thanks for pointing this out. Looking over it, I don't believe this data at all. Perusing their results, it would be rejected by every peer reviewed journal.

They haven't even completed any of the studies yet. Why would they release this publicly? It makes no sense to put out an incomplete study, with zero methodology.

Also, the half-life's they report are inconsistent with detailed and published studies using much higher intensity UV lights (studies looking at N95 mask sterilization approaches using UV).

This has also been studied extensively for SARS and other coronaviruses. This data contradicts all prior studies. My guess, is they have an error in experimental setup. One of three things, either they have a photosensitizer in their culture medium for maintaining the virus (this is common and you need to be very careful what media you use when doing studies with light), or they are not taking the local temperature. Mimicking full-spectrum solar intensity generates considerable heat, so if they are only setting a thermostat, and not measuring local temperature, you can be off by 10-20 C.

The third, if they are inexperienced with solar intensity studies, they may be using published solar intensities for what hits the atmosphere, instead of what hits the actual surface of the earth. The former has substantially higher amounts of UV light. I'd believe those intensities would kill the virus in minutes.

Edit: I'm a little salty on this, because I've been seeing a lot of science coming out of the DHS and other govt institutions that seem like they are politically/goal driven, and not careful peer-reviewed science. That ends up giving science a bad reputation.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:31:51 AM by forgetful »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 08:29:00 AM »

So, we might be able to take the expression "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" literally now.
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 08:59:32 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »
I'm not really seeing anything groundbreaking about this. Outdoor activity is fine, as long as you can still stay 6 feet away from people, who could potentially cough on you and get you sick. But I think this has always been the case.

Still makes it incredibly difficult to open parks, playgrounds, beaches, etc., especially in urban areas. 

Golf courses could be ok, especially if walking only.

Don't really see this information changing much in the way of how we respond COVID-19.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:48:42 PM by Coleman »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 12:56:12 PM »
WarriorDad

I am only buying into this theory if, and ONLY if, Hards gives his stamp of approval. I know he is likely busy working on the opening of businesses around the country, entering data into his multiple modeling charts, independent testing on possible vaccines and working with multiple state Gov's on delivery of PPE's...but, I know he will find time to approve or disapprove your post. FYI--I have pretty good idea which way he will go.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 01:17:19 PM »
WarriorDad

I am only buying into this theory if, and ONLY if, Hards gives his stamp of approval. I know he is likely busy working on the opening of businesses around the country, entering data into his multiple modeling charts, independent testing on possible vaccines and working with multiple state Gov's on delivery of PPE's...but, I know he will find time to approve or disapprove your post. FYI--I have pretty good idea which way he will go.

Good! Let’s try to get the entire Covid board locked up!

Let me give it a try!

I’ll only buy it if Keefer comes on here claiming it’s the greatest tool you’ve ever seen! And when someone points out ways to improve it, instead of giving his good pal a heads up, he just condescendingly tells the person pointing out the clear holes in the tool that he’s an idiot and his great friend is way smarter! And now that this perfect tool is being ridiculed nationally, Keefer has gone into hiding from the thread. Shocker! That’s what real manly men who love eating meat do.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 01:28:36 PM »

Let me give it a try!

I’ll only buy it if Keefer comes on here claiming it’s the greatest tool you’ve ever seen! And when someone points out ways to improve it, instead of giving his good pal a heads up, he just condescendingly tells the person pointing out the clear holes in the tool that he’s an idiot and his great friend is way smarter! And now that this perfect tool is being ridiculed nationally, Keefer has gone into hiding from the thread. Shocker! That’s what real manly men who love eating meat do.

Did I miss this happening?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »
WarriorDad

Classy.  Attempting to goad me into insulting you so you and your buddies can whine about how I should be banned.

Lots of true colors coming through here.  But they've always been on display.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 01:36:05 PM »

Let me give it a try!

So, are you asking for a Coronavirus haiku thread?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »
WarriorDad

Goose - bad look here from you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »
jesmu

I can only speak for myself, but two months of Hards preaching on every Covid topic has grown old. I stayed off for a couple of weeks and wish I had not engaged.
Be safe, everyone!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 01:57:50 PM »
Goose seems very mad
That Hards has strong opinions
He should take that walk

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2020, 02:01:29 PM »
At home, so weary
For f*cks sake, Frozen again?
Can't wait to play golf

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2020, 02:02:11 PM »
The only valuable part of the article.

"In a statement to Yahoo News, the DHS declined to answer questions about the findings and strongly cautioned against drawing any conclusions based on unpublished data."

More bad science journalism.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 02:35:36 PM »
Clearly - this (stay at home, finances, business, etc) is affecting people.  Lets try to focus on helping each other out instead of petty fighting.

Please.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 02:56:56 PM »
The only valuable part of the article.

"In a statement to Yahoo News, the DHS declined to answer questions about the findings and strongly cautioned against drawing any conclusions based on unpublished data."

More bad science journalism.

That was the only valuable part I saw too.

Did I miss a WarriorDad post? Wondering what precipitated another round of bickering.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »
That was the only valuable part I saw too.

Did I miss a WarriorDad post? Wondering what precipitated another round of bickering.

The haiku summary:

Hards and Lenny spat
Real chili calls for ban
Goose piles on for kicks
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »
jesmu

I can only speak for myself, but two months of Hards preaching on every Covid topic has grown old. I stayed off for a couple of weeks and wish I had not engaged.
Be safe, everyone!!

You're free to not read my comments, or put me on ignore.  Pretty simple thing to do instead of trying to pick a fight every time you come back.

Having said that, I do generally appreciate your commentary, when it isn't an attempt to rustle my jimmies.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2020, 04:09:43 PM »
You're free to not read my comments, or put me on ignore.  Pretty simple thing to do instead of trying to pick a fight every time you come back.

Having said that, I do generally appreciate your commentary, when it isn't an attempt to rustle my jimmies.

All the bickering
Is unnecessary and
Rustles Hards' jimmies
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
All the bickering
Is unnecessary and
Rustles Hards' jimmies
I feel like this is another thing I don't want to Google
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »
I feel like this is another thing I don't want to Google

But... you might.  Just try it!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2020, 05:42:20 PM »
UnrustledJimmies.  Damnit, now I need to change my password.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2020, 07:42:45 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2020, 07:59:59 PM »
Ban clouds.   And roofs.   And walls.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
Why has no one investigated injecting sunlight into the body? Many people are asking. The best people.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2020, 09:08:38 AM »
Why has no one investigated injecting sunlight into the body? Many people are asking. The best people.

I think it's equally effective if you just blow it up everyone's...you know.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2020, 02:24:51 PM »
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2020, 02:25:54 PM »
Can we inject it in us? Maybe concoct a mix of UV rays and cleaning products to inject straight into our lungs?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
Can we inject it in us? Maybe concoct a mix of UV rays and cleaning products to inject straight into our lungs?

Everyone knows that sunshine is to be blown directly up your ass.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2020, 02:34:43 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
If sunlight and hot weather kill this virus easily I wonder why Brazil is having such a hard time combating covid.  Second highest worldwide rate of serious cases.  Someone help me out here.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2020, 03:00:24 PM »
Could we slingshot Trump to the sun to test the theory?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
Brazil has an incompetent right wing president at war with the governors of the providences in his country.    The governors are trying to do the right thing.     He is actively working against them.    So they have really gone the Sweden route and not really done anything to stop it.   

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2020, 03:04:02 PM »
If sunlight and hot weather kill this virus easily I wonder why Brazil is having such a hard time combating covid.  Second highest worldwide rate of serious cases.  Someone help me out here.

Could be density living? 
NYT had a story today about India.  Despite compelte lockdown, Mumbai has 25% of the cases in the country but it's also the most dense and packed.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2020, 03:07:31 PM »
Could be density living? 
NYT had a story today about India.  Despite compelte lockdown, Mumbai has 25% of the cases in the country but it's also the most dense and packed.

And it is hot, humid, and sunny.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2020, 03:08:00 PM »
Brazil has an incompetent right wing president at war with the governors of the providences in his country.    The governors are trying to do the right thing.     He is actively working against them.    So they have really gone the Sweden route and not really done anything to stop it.

Interesting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2020, 03:09:21 PM »
Yes, density is a thing.     Sharing elevators, stairwells,  etc. along with poor sanitation and being stacked on top of each other.     Of course there is going to be more transmissions under those conditions.    Like every other virus.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2020, 03:12:25 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/not-even-close-peak-yet-173453159.html

A link that doesn't say the opposite of my argument.   

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
Could be density living? 

Absolutely, I was just attempting to dispel the myth that sunlight and warm weather have had any impact on where this virus is prevalent.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2020, 03:27:53 PM »

And to add to this, my Brazilian friend and co-worker said the one and only reason anyone voted for him was he was going to clean up corruption in Brazil.  Brazilians are sick of corruption and if he made no strides towards it then he will be a goner.  Same friend says currently he's made no strides towards this promise and Brazilians are pissed.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2020, 06:15:05 PM »
And to add to this, my Brazilian friend and co-worker said the one and only reason anyone voted for him was he was going to clean up corruption in Brazil.  Brazilians are sick of corruption and if he made no strides towards it then he will be a goner.  Same friend says currently he's made no strides towards this promise and Brazilians are pissed.
Drain the swamp, eh?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2020, 10:40:32 PM »
New Northwestern University study on the potentials benefits of sunshine / Vitamin D and mortality rate of COVID 19

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/05/15/could-a-sunnier-summer-in-boston-reduce-coronavirus-mortality/
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2020, 11:00:26 PM »
New Northwestern University study on the potentials benefits of sunshine / Vitamin D and mortality rate of COVID 19

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/05/15/could-a-sunnier-summer-in-boston-reduce-coronavirus-mortality/

Vit D has been suspected to be important to fight against covid since feb

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2020, 10:30:09 AM »
Vit D has been suspected to be important to fight against covid since feb

I'm not sure why this isn't being broadcast / common knowledge.  Vit D is so cheap, I think my bottle was like $8 for 800 pills, so we're literally talking a penny each.

I've been nagging my family every day for 3 months, take this pill.   I was hoping the kids could learn how to swallow .. (they tried but quit like the quitters I've raised them to be.)

.. So the kids chew them and spit out the shell.  It tastes like .. nothing.  Like gel water.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2020, 10:31:27 AM »
Vitamin C, Vitamin D.    Simple immune boosters.   

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2020, 12:07:26 PM »
Vitamin C, Vitamin D.    Simple immune boosters.

Plus a very high amount of people are deficient in Vit D in general.  Especially from early autumn to late spring.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2020, 02:29:58 PM »
I would urge caution about the "single vitamin" supplements, unless you have a known deficiency of the specific vitamin you are replacing. Often they contain megadoses (several times the RDA), and can actually cause some bad stuff. The most concerning are the fat-soluble ones (A, D, E and K), because it isn't as easy for your body to just pee out the excess. Specifically regarding Vitamin D, too much can cause hypercalcemia, which is not something you want to have.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypercalcemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355523

The water soluble vitamins (B and C) are generally less of an overdose concern, because you usually just pee out the excess. Still, taking more than you need is kind of a waste for that very reason - it just ends up in the toilet.

In the absence of a specific, known vitamin deficiency, you are almost always better off just taking a good multivitamin supplement like One-A-Day or Centrum.