[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Local HS Sports Heroes  (Read 1980 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Local HS Sports Heroes
« on: April 07, 2020, 11:20:15 AM »
It seems we have at home internet time on our hands. So how about local HS sports heroes?

The Chron ran this slideshow of each local HS sports heroes. North Shore has had 12 guys go on to play in the NFL...so they had to chose the best of those. Other school's best star has only made minor league BB....:

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Best-pro-athlete-every-Houston-area-high-school-15176775.php?cmpid=trend

My top 5 in Houston would include: Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Clyde Drexler, Thurman Thomas and Darrell Green

Who are yours for your area? Any experiences with them?

Get your mind off this other thing and share sports stories, please.

While I lived in Spring Branch, I lived down the block and strolled over to see this kid pitch at Spring Woods High....WOW!  Roger Clemens was powerful and fast ....but hadnt yet learned how to pitch...he would start out at San Jacinto Jr College on the east side. Despite steroid shame he is up there for all time best pitcher.

Here in Deerfield Village subdivision, ....The Ostermans live one block over ...and two blocks over we have a backstop and LL BB field for the kids. For hours on end we would hear the pinging of the backstop fence as womens fastpitch P Cat Osterman perfected her power pitching. She is the local HS hero and our subdivision star. Very nice girl.

MU connections to Houston:

Richmond HS Chris Otule, Tomball HS Jimmy Butler, CySprings HS Karon Bradley(attended CySprings same time as one my girls) and another Cy Springs kid Erik Williams
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:53:19 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

JWags85

• All American
Re: Local HS Sports Heroes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:58:28 AM »
These conversations are always interesting to me because of the impact of region, athletic rigor, and relative scale.

For example, Wisconsin just is not a super fertile HS football recruiting area.  Big linemen on both sides of the ball that end up at UW and other B10 schools?  Sure.  But skill players?  Few and far between.

My HS has won 6 state titles (and a runner up) in football in the last 20 years.  And you can count the number of major college football recruits from my HS in that time on one hand, maybe 2.  We had WI Mr. Football that year on a championship team my freshman year, he was a cheat code, and our coach had to make a bunch of calls to get him a preferred walk on spot at Minnesota.

Meanwhile, I have friends from college in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky that had classmates end up playing at OSU, Penn St, ND, Louisville, and more from comparatively less dominant HS programs.

Same with baseball.  Basketball, especially in the AAU era, is where Wisconsin definitely still holds it own though.

Directly to the topic, I wouldn't call him a "hero" but George Karl's son Coby went to HS with and I played pickup ball and cards with him a fair amount as we had mutual friends.  He was a chucker that we figured got his scholly to Boise St largely due to who his dad was.  But he turned into a decent player and somehow had a cup of coffee with the Lakers and a pretty decent Euro career and now coaches the Laker G League team.

Used to scrimmage Leslie Osborne, who was a college POY and had 50-60 caps for the USWNT, in club practices in my teens.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
A guy who graduated a year ahead of me in high school won a gold medal in swimming at the Seoul olympics. He was one of those guys who swam in the preliminary rounds for the relay team that eventually won the gold.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:44:20 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 12:10:05 PM »
A guy who graduated a year iahead of me in high school won a gold medal in swimming at the Seoul olympics. He was one of those guys who swam in the preliminary rounds for the relay team that eventually won the gold.

So the swim team fluffer, aina.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 01:49:02 PM »
These conversations are always interesting to me because of the impact of region, athletic rigor, and relative scale.

For example, Wisconsin just is not a super fertile HS football recruiting area.  Big linemen on both sides of the ball that end up at UW and other B10 schools?  Sure.  But skill players?  Few and far between.

My HS has won 6 state titles (and a runner up) in football in the last 20 years.  And you can count the number of major college football recruits from my HS in that time on one hand, maybe 2.  We had WI Mr. Football that year on a championship team my freshman year, he was a cheat code, and our coach had to make a bunch of calls to get him a preferred walk on spot at Minnesota.

Meanwhile, I have friends from college in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky that had classmates end up playing at OSU, Penn St, ND, Louisville, and more from comparatively less dominant HS programs.

Same with baseball.  Basketball, especially in the AAU era, is where Wisconsin definitely still holds it own though.

Directly to the topic, I wouldn't call him a "hero" but George Karl's son Coby went to HS with and I played pickup ball and cards with him a fair amount as we had mutual friends.  He was a chucker that we figured got his scholly to Boise St largely due to who his dad was.  But he turned into a decent player and somehow had a cup of coffee with the Lakers and a pretty decent Euro career and now coaches the Laker G League team.

Used to scrimmage Leslie Osborne, who was a college POY and had 50-60 caps for the USWNT, in club practices in my teens.

A couple years ago Marquette High did a home and home football series with Loyola Academy. When they played at Hart Park I drove by and it was like 42-0 in the 3rd quarter, Loyola. MUHS ended up in D1 the WIAA State semifinals that year (lost to Kimberly, who everybody lost to at that point, but I think it was a much closer game than the Loyola game was).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »
I've lived in Kenosha-Racine area my whole life.

Top 5?

Jim Chones, Nicky Van Exel. Melvin Gordon, Alan Ameche, Sonja Henning

Future top 5 - Gavin Lux?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »

I was at an event with Osborn a few years ago and during the speech, she called out the AD of Santa Clara (her alma mater), who was in the audience, to give her a job now that she was retiring from soccer. What an uncomfortable moment for him. He acquiesced, giving her some job as an academic advisor or something like that. One of the most self-serving speeches I've ever been present for.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 05:52:15 PM »

Top 5?

Jim Chones, Nicky Van Exel. Melvin Gordon, Alan Ameche, Sonja Henning

Future top 5 - Gavin Lux?
Nicky van excel was the best HS player I ever saw.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 06:02:30 PM »
Nicky van excel was the best HS player I ever saw.

A buddy and I coached him for a couple years when he was 12-13 years old.  He certainly didn't lack for confidence even at a young age.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 08:24:53 PM »

G.T.F.O.H.  No way, really?  Couldn't tell.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 03:28:23 PM »
I have lived in Rochester for about 22 years now.

Biggest sports star? It's still early, but I'd have to say Matthew Hurt (10 ppg, 4 rpg as a frosh at Duke). Pretty sure he will stay another season; mock drafts have him as a high second rounder next season.

My favorite local athlete? Mike Kinsella, of course!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 05:48:58 PM »
Since I moved here full time:

Basketball: Iman Shumpert, Evan Turner recently.

Wrestling: Ellis Coleman (Olympian/YouTube star)

Hockey: Joe Corvo (fun fact His cousin is a friend of mine and he married into the mob)

Speed Skating: Emory Lehman (Olympian)

There's also a bunch of baseball players but couldn't tell you their names
Maigh Eo for Sam

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
I have lived in Rochester for about 22 years now.

Biggest sports star? It's still early, but I'd have to say Matthew Hurt (10 ppg, 4 rpg as a frosh at Duke). Pretty sure he will stay another season; mock drafts have him as a high second rounder next season.

My favorite local athlete? Mike Kinsella, of course!

Kinsella!  I met Kinsella a few years ago in the ticket line waiting to get in to Lambeau Field for a Packer game.  He was shocked that I (as an MU fan/alum that had never met him) recognized him.  (LOL - the guy is seven feet tall).  We were stuck in line together for 10 minutes or so and had a nice chat about MU.  He seems like a good dude and was happy to talk.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 12:33:07 PM »
My high school has won 14 state championships in football, multiple baseball and girl's volleyball state championships and a state golf championship.  From our high school alone, Tom Thayer, Mike Alstott, Coby Fleeneer and Josh Ferguson in the NFL, Bill Gullickson, Mark Grant, Jack Perconte, Mike Grace, Sean Bergmann, Chris Michalek, Kevin Cameron and Joe Benson in MLB, Kelly Murphy and Dave Sims in the Olympics and Terry Gannon, NC State NCAA champ and current lead on the Golf Channel, among other broadcast gigs.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 12:51:13 PM »
Roger Penske, George Steinbrenner.