collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NASCAR driver uses N-word on live feed  (Read 5992 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: NASCAR driver uses N-word on live feed
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2020, 08:39:14 AM »
No non African American should ever use that word.   Full stop.   But people say and do stupid crap all of the time.   Have him show contrition, do his penance and then let him work his way back.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »
No non African American should ever use that word.   Full stop.   But people say and do stupid crap all of the time.   Have him show contrition, do his penance and then let him work his way back.

Agree.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2020, 05:44:14 PM »
"Sorry, I got caught saying a word that I say so often I said it to my team.  Also, they didn't immediately stop me, nor did they do anything besides ignore it, so they probably say it often too."

Nope, I have zero tolerance for these type of people.  Plenty of other guys around that can drive in circles that don't say the N-word.

Where do these people stand in your eyes?

Ie how much worse is it then.... people who beat their wives, commit violent crimes, murder, rape, beat children, sexually assault, etc?

Because there are plenty of the above who are still in sports today. Quite a few still loved by Marquette.

On my list what he did was at the very bottom of all those acts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2020, 06:39:40 PM »

Ie how much worse is it then.... people who beat their wives, commit violent crimes, murder, rape, beat children, sexually assault, etc?

Because there are plenty of the above who are still in sports today. Quite a few still loved by Marquette.

Agreed.

Now, just because there are worse d-bags it doesn't mean "lesser d-bags" should be tolerated, but perspective does matter.

I'm glad he got suspended by NASCAR, dropped by sponsors and fired by his team. But, again, I hope he can earn a second chance.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2020, 07:06:10 PM »

On my list it would below actual crimes, but certainly doesn't make it okay, nor do I think he should get a second chance to be a NASCAR driver.  It isn't as if this was some mistake.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »

this.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »
To play devils advocate, id ask if its such a nefarious word why should black people even use it. Does this not promulgate the use of the word?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 04:52:04 PM »
You should continue to make excuses for racism.  It's a really good look.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:54:07 PM by Coleman »

Hards Alumni

• All American

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »
Yeah. You aren't wrong, but you don't need to accuse everyone of thinking he could somehow get another chance of endorsing racism.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:51:23 AM by Coleman »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2020, 09:56:44 AM »
Yeah. You aren't wrong, but you don't need to accuse everyone of thinking he could somehow get another chance of endorsing racism.

But he didn't.  He said he was making excuses for racism, aka deflecting it with false equivalences about White Men Can't Jump and "well, nobody should say that word".  Multiple people said he should get a second chance with no pushback from Hards about it. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2020, 01:04:03 PM »
Here is the interesting, eloquent statement issued by Bubba Wallace, NASCAR's only black driver, who takes Larson to task but said he deserves a second chance, and also talks about racism in general, both in and out of his sport:

As much as I didn’t want to be involved, I was from the very beginning. There is a part of my background and culture that feels attacked and hurt, and the other part feels confused and angry. Let’s start off with the word. It’s NOT just a word. There is a ton of negative meaning behind the word. Doesn’t matter if a person uses it in an offensive way or not. The word brings many terrible memories for people and families and brings them back to a time that WE as a community and human race have tried our hardest to get away from. The sport has made combatting this stereotype one of their top priorities. NASCAR has been doing what it can to get away from the “racist and redneck sport” labels. Diversity and inclusion is a main priority for the sport across every team, every car, every crew member and employee. With that said, It [sic] hurts to see the African American community immediately throw NASCAR under the bus with the “I’m not shocked, it’s NASCAR” [reaction]. NASCAR has been, and will be way better than how we’ve been represented in the last couple of weeks. As the person that arguably has the biggest voice on this topic in our sport, it’s tough for me to speak to because I didn’t imagine us being here. Can we all do a better job with inclusion? Absolutely, it’s a worldwide problem, not just in our sport. We as humans can always do better.

What Larson said was wrong, whether in private or public. There is no grey area. I saw the incident the night it happened and within 5 minutes Kyle texted me. He called me the next morning as well. Finally I called him back with a FaceTime to talk “face to face,” and we had a good conversation, his apology was sincere. His emotions and pride were shattered. We discussed why he chose to use that language and I shared my thoughts.. I told him, it was too easy for him to use the word and that he has to do better and get it out of his vocabulary. There is no place for that work in this world. I am not mad at him, and I believe that he, along with most people deserve second chances, and deserve space to improve. I do wish him and his family nothing but the best. And I am more than willing to work with him to address diversity and inclusion in our sport.

Since Sunday I’ve constantly been reading my mentions and Twitter feed. Some comments I can agree with but most leave me baffled. As an athlete, we immediately become representative of something bigger than ourselves. This is something most people may not understand. We are ambassadors for our partners, our race teams, crews, families and the sanctioning body. Every single person is affected. One question I get often is “what’s the worst part of being an athlete[?]” I always reply with how we’re put on a pedestal. Everything we do, eat and say is under a microscope. But a “normal” person can mostly do whatever they want. Some call it unfair? Sure, but that’s not what we signed up for from day 1. Have I been the best ambassador at times? Absolutely not. We’re not perfect, I am not perfect. We’re all human, we make mistakes. Often given many chances. The part that irks me the most are the people that say “but if Bubba said it, nothing would happen”[. L]et me throw the rule book at ya first.. “As a NASCAR member we shall not make or cause a public statement or communication that criticizes, ridicules or otherwise disparages another persons [sic] race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, or handicapping condition.” I AM A NASCAR MEMBER. A damn proud one too. I would expect and should be held to the same standard as any other members of the sport.

I think everyone can learn something from what has happened these past few weeks. I am looking forward to getting the season back underway and continue our momentum!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2020, 04:14:52 PM »
He and I agree.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2020, 09:30:53 PM »
Doesnt even answer. Whatever smh

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2020, 02:15:28 AM »
What a coward

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2020, 06:41:43 AM »
What a coward

Stop trolling.

If it makes you feel any better, here's what Bubba Watson said:

The part that irks me the most are the people that say “but if Bubba said it, nothing would happen”[. L]et me throw the rule book at ya first.. “As a NASCAR member we shall not make or cause a public statement or communication that criticizes, ridicules or otherwise disparages another persons [sic] race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, or handicapping condition.” I AM A NASCAR MEMBER. A damn proud one too. I would expect and should be held to the same standard as any other members of the sport.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2020, 11:05:10 PM »
Stop trolling.

If it makes you feel any better, here's what Bubba Watson said:

The part that irks me the most are the people that say “but if Bubba said it, nothing would happen”[. L]et me throw the rule book at ya first.. “As a NASCAR member we shall not make or cause a public statement or communication that criticizes, ridicules or otherwise disparages another persons [sic] race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, or handicapping condition.” I AM A NASCAR MEMBER. A damn proud one too. I would expect and should be held to the same standard as any other members of the sport.
Wth? Im not trolling

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2020, 05:34:39 AM »
He and I agree.
Answer the question plz sir

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2020, 06:01:11 AM »
It doesn't have the same impact when friends and peers appropriate and use it during their banter with each other.   When bantering with my friends, I use terms I never use in polite conversation.   

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2020, 06:04:40 AM »
Tower is to afraid  or somthing else.to answer. Its cool. He is the genius of scoop of course

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2020, 06:14:30 AM »
That is very kind of you.  And I have answered your question.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »
With that said, It [sic] hurts to see the African American community immediately throw NASCAR under the bus with the “I’m not shocked, it’s NASCAR” [reaction].

I agree with all of what Bubba said - he’s a wise and thoughtful spokesman - but if he thinks it only the African American community throwing NASCAR under the bus with an “I’m not shocked, it’s NASCAR” reaction he is sadly mistaken. It’s the knee jerk reaction in a lot of other places too.